Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Viggen posted:

How much longer until we start pissing in the well?

Piss has happened, I'm waiting for the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Give your money to me.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

How much longer until we start pissing in the well?

When he buys an early 90's 900s convertible turbo with electric everything.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

Plinkey posted:

When he buys an early 90's 900s convertible turbo with electric everything.

:spergin: A 900S is non-turbo, though.

A 1995 900 Turbo Convertible would be perfect- the only year they didn't use hydraulics for the top, and it was the first "NG900" 'vert. Guess what always breaks. Especially if it had the Opel poo poo engine (which was technically an SE). The only good thing about it was that if you got the 4 speed slush, it was pretty resilient. Most of the time.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

:spergin: A 900S is non-turbo, though.

A 1995 900 Turbo Convertible would be perfect- the only year they didn't use hydraulics for the top, and it was the first "NG900" 'vert. Guess what always breaks. Especially if it had the Opel poo poo engine (which was technically an SE). The only good thing about it was that if you got the 4 speed slush, it was pretty resilient. Most of the time.

Yeah, that's what I meant, I gave up on Saab a while ago. Not S.

My Dad had a 94 turbo convertible I think, went to like 290k miles but needed like $100-$300 of work for every 1k miles.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 23, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dude sell your pile and be Jeepbros with me!

*Sperge buys a supercharged v8 wrangler with an AX-5 and Dana 35 running 37" tires.*

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant, I gave up on Saab a while ago. Not S.

My Dad had a 94 turbo convertible I think, went to like 290k miles but needed like $100-$300 of work for every 1k miles.

You can come back at any time. To be fair, it did that after it hit 250k, I'm relatively sure. Then you have a lot of vacuum hoses and poo poo that likes to crumble.

Safety Dance posted:

*Sperge buys a supercharged v8 wrangler with an AX-5 and Dana 35 running 37" tires.*

Well thats one way to get out of power-raking the yard. :v:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Safety Dance posted:

Ahahahaha, I would buy a Jeep, but I dunno, don't really like them for some undefinable reason.

I was half joking about the CRX. Mostly because I know I should get something sensible and nice, and I really like looking at bad ideas.

Edit:

Once the cash gets in, probably gonna spring for this. http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/4816759410.html

fishception fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 23, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Ahahahaha, I would buy a Jeep, but I dunno, don't really like them for some undefinable reason.

..and in one swat, Sperglord alienated killed 7 in one blow.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

..and in one swat, Sperglord alienated killed 7 in one blow.

Not to mention there are no Jeeps near me in my price range, save for a 2,000 one that the guy in the description literally said, "yeah the everything doesn't work"

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Not to mention there are no Jeeps near me in my price range, save for a 2,000 one that the guy in the description literally said, "yeah the everything doesn't work"

He's honest. v:shobon:v

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Alternately I'm sure I can hate my life forever and get a Subaru.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/4779205010.html

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Do what now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How is that car so clean? That'll be nice if the box can hold up. 1993 + being an L does not in any way guarantee all wheel drive, so make sure it actually has rear axles before you pony up for it. :)

e: vvv It will absolutely be an early dual-port low-compression non-interference EJ22, that's the smallest engine they offered on the Legacy in the US (EJ18s were available for the Impreza, but let's not speak of those).

It's a good deal, I'd jump on it. First gen Legacies are getting rarer all the time, especially wagons.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 23, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Paging Slow is Fast.....If that really does have a 2.2 it looks like a winner. I'd be all over that poo poo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
IM SORRY I COULDNT HEAR YOU WHAT WAS THAT

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah dude you need to go buy that ASAP before somebody smarter than you does.

That's assuming it has the correct fans/battery cables/terminals/etc.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I'm a biiiit worried that it might not, because this thing has been on Craigslist for forever.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The vin scares me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just ran the VIN through Carfax. Yep, it's a Subaru Legacy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Long as the head gaskets aren't explodey and it isn't shagged the gently caress out, that looks worth getting.

As noted make sure it's AWD.

Subaru head gaskets and timing belt aren't even really that big of a project, but it sure is baptism by fire for a first timer, you will need to take the engine out to do it if you want to stay sane. Plan on buying a couple hundred in tools and a couple hundred in parts for that if you do it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Update on Not Driving Like I Want To Ruin My Car:

Went out to practice driving because, due to the fact that I have no job, it's perfectly okay for me to stay up super late and wait for a time when parking lots are empty. Went to the parking lot, and saw what I think was a drug deal go down with a guy in a black Mitsubishi Eclipse? I accelerated really fast near his car, but he didn't look impressed. Mind you, I probably shouldn't try to gain the respect of anyone that drives a lovely 3rd Gen Eclipse anyways, because they kinda look like poop.

Got some more gas, lot of air went WHOOSH out of the tank when I removed the cap. Don't know if this is something bad or not, but I figured I'd bring it up.

Definitely much better at shifting into first than I was, although uphills are still a bit of a tricky thing because I haven't QUITE got down where the clutch pedal needs to be depressed to so that the moment I get off the brake, I can instantly start moving off the clutch and on the gas.

Weird noises abounded, but it didn't seem like it was anything directly related to the car, and mostly just squeaky belts from the cold.

Nice weather we've been having lately. A tad bit moist, but not below freezing, which means that the salt crews haven't been going nuts. Makes it easier for me to drive my car without feeling guilty.

Edit:

I want one project in the future to be converting the electrical windows to a manual windows system. Power windows really aren't that super necessary IMO.

In other news, shopping around for something good to install in place of the slipping clutch. Any suggestions as to a good part for that? Because obviously, the clutch slipping is bad.

Also might need a little bit of help on what I need to do to convert it back to NA from Turbo, if we do want to go that route. In addition, the stock EFI is definitely a point I will need to fix at some point. Will I need to get a brand new EFI to replace that, or is there some fiddling I can do with the existing one?

fishception fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 23, 2014

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

The easiest way to get a grip on the clutch bite zone is to clutch in all the way and very slowly back off until the point where the RPM start to dip. Hold it steady right before that dip point and you shouldn't roll too much when you let off the brake.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Baram posted:

The easiest way to get a grip on the clutch bite zone is to clutch in all the way and very slowly back off until the point where the RPM start to dip. Hold it steady right before that dip point and you shouldn't roll too much when you let off the brake.

There is a lot of clutch between in all the way and the time when it starts to actually catch. A LOT.

I've at least figured out where I need to push the clutch down to to get a pretty reliable and not bumpy start.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

That legacy is awesome.

The 22E did not make enough power to break the 5 speeds and the 22E does not have headgasket issues like the EJ25s.

It's pretty much a bulletproof driveline. The oil leaking they mention is probably the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. I mean maybe the headgaskets are weaping on to the exhaust but loving doubtful.

Sperglord could do a valvecover job in his driveway easy. Hell he could loving call me and I could literally walk him through it.

Cali car looks good.

Stick your head under the back to make sure there are two actual axles going to a rear diff.

You can service a subaru with a metric socket set and a metric box end wrench set. Pretty drat easy. It's the same thing as an impreza so everything under the sun has been documented.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 23, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Update on Not Driving Like I Want To Ruin My Car:
Went to the parking lot, and saw what I think was a drug deal go down with a guy in a black Mitsubishi Eclipse? I accelerated really fast near his car, but he didn't look impressed. Mind you, I probably shouldn't try to gain the respect of anyone that drives a lovely 3rd Gen Eclipse anyways, because they kinda look like poop.
He didn't look impressed because he can hear you miss your shifts. Also because that's a dumb thing to do.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Cage posted:

He didn't look impressed because he can hear you miss your shifts. Also because that's a dumb thing to do.

What, trying to make sure I'm not shifting into first in a way that is grinding up my drivetrain is a dumb thing to do? O.o

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What, trying to make sure I'm not shifting into first in a way that is grinding up my drivetrain is a dumb thing to do? O.o

Doing sick burnouts near suspected narcotics traffickers isn't a great idea.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Midjack posted:

Doing sick burnouts near suspected narcotics traffickers isn't a great idea.

.... Okay yeah, that's a good point.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sounds like a ricer fly by to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Got some more gas, lot of air went WHOOSH out of the tank when I removed the cap. Don't know if this is something bad or not, but I figured I'd bring it up.
This is good, means your evap system is holding pressure. When you fill up your car, most (all?) modern cars will trap the fuel fumes in a charcoal canister and release them into the engine later. Fuel fumes are super bad for emissions - leaking even a little bit of gas vapour while filling up your car is worse than driving it every day for a month or some bullshit like that.

Part of the computer's onboard test to make sure you're not leaking this world-destroying toxic vapour is pressurizing the evap system, which is what you heard when you opened the fuel cap. Some cars seem to run a lot more pressure - my Miata makes a frightening amount of noise when I undo the cap.

When you get a leak (most commonly by leaving the fuel cap loose, or by rust rotting out some part of the assembly) you usually end up with no whoosh when you open the cap, and a check engine light. Sometimes you also get an exciting vacuum leak which makes your car run like poo poo.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is good, means your evap system is holding pressure. When you fill up your car, most (all?) modern cars will trap the fuel fumes in a charcoal canister and release them into the engine later. Fuel fumes are super bad for emissions - leaking even a little bit of gas vapour while filling up your car is worse than driving it every day for a month or some bullshit like that.

Part of the computer's onboard test to make sure you're not leaking this world-destroying toxic vapour is pressurizing the evap system, which is what you heard when you opened the fuel cap. Some cars seem to run a lot more pressure - my Miata makes a frightening amount of noise when I undo the cap.

When you get a leak (most commonly by leaving the fuel cap loose, or by rust rotting out some part of the assembly) you usually end up with no whoosh when you open the cap, and a check engine light. Sometimes you also get an exciting vacuum leak which makes your car run like poo poo.

How did I never know this...now I assume my F150 is like 10,000 cow farts every time I fill up, no sound when taking off the cap at all.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

There is a lot of clutch between in all the way and the time when it starts to actually catch. A LOT.

I've at least figured out where I need to push the clutch down to to get a pretty reliable and not bumpy start.

Yeah there is. The secret is that after you figure out the catch point you don't really have to clutch in beyond that for getting started moving again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Plinkey posted:

How did I never know this...now I assume my F150 is like 10,000 cow farts every time I fill up, no sound when taking off the cap at all.

If you're not getting a light, you're probably fine. My two Subarus are mouse-fart quiet.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

Sounds like a ricer fly by to me.

Basically this.

Also I glanced over his post initially and saw the "whoosh" part, I thought he was talking about his BOV. Anyway, holy poo poo dude, PRACTICE and more importantly, LISTEN TO THE ADVICE BEING SHOVED DOWN YOUR GULLET gently caress.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

fingerling posted:

Basically this.

Also I glanced over his post initially and saw the "whoosh" part, I thought he was talking about his BOV. Anyway, holy poo poo dude, PRACTICE and more importantly, LISTEN TO THE ADVICE BEING SHOVED DOWN YOUR GULLET gently caress.

I am practicing, and I am listening to the advice thus far. I just can't do any work on the car at the moment, because I lack tools (which will be rectified in approximately 2 days). I've already improved VASTLY on how I'm driving the car.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Update:

Holy gently caress it's 50 degrees outside.

I kind of want to drive around with the T-Tops off and the windows down just to see how the T-Tops come off and the like. This is stupidly warm for Chicago in winter.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Offer is still good for a free ohmmeter if you want to toss me an address. It'll be analog, and the same vintage of your car (or a slightly more recent approximation).

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
so if your serious about a Subaru I will come with you to look at one. I was at the Subaru dealership for a while and know some of the common problem areas on all older legacy....mainly rust rust and headgaskets. also if you need help looking for a car just PM your specifics and ill send you a few links to decent cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
At least it doesn't look like it has any "HERRAFRUSH" issues, since it looks like it was driven by a nice family rather than some ricer rear end in a top hat.

..... I'm not automatically a ricer for owning my car, am I? I mean, I imagine ricers as the idiots that blow up their lovely Honda Civics and put tacky as gently caress body kits all over it and honestly believe that their ratty Honda Civic "COULD TOTALLY BEAT THAT CLASSIC MUSTANG IN A DRAG BRO, RACEU FO PINKU SURIPU".

• Locked thread