Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Your unit choices were a sub-par investment, now you can optimise monetary efficiency by buying them again. They've even thrown in a load of bonus extra rules to sort of make your army possible again but not really. Spend £187.50 on you codex to claim your free additional rules today!

Why are you not happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

So wait, not only are Assault squads no longer Troops but BA have no way of taking Tactical squads with bolt pistol & CCW? Bahahahaha :cawg:

Assault Marines can't take Razorbacks as dedicated transports either.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Dataslates is just a new name for a Codex entry, like a Tactical Squad. They renamed it so that way new additions to a Faction (Like all the new Tyranid models) have the same legitimacy as the Codex's Dataslates. Dataslates have a Battlefield Role, like Troops, and a Faction, like Blood Angels.

Detachments have a list of compulsory and optional battlefield roles to fill that detachment. Any particular unit chosen from a Dataslate can only be assigned to a single Detachment. Most (all?) require all the choices to be from the same Faction. Detachments have a list of Command Benefits that apply only to units in that Detachment.

A Primary Detachment is the one that contains your Warlord. There is nothing else special about it. It can be (almost) any kind of Detachment. You must have a Warlord, and it can be any Character in your entire force, from a Cultist Champion to a Chaos Lord.

All games can consist of multiple detachments. There is no limit, other than points and filling out the compulsory selections with Dataslates that fit that Battlefield Role. There is no reason each Detachment can't have a different Faction.

You can use the old Force Org Chart as a detachment, it's now called a Combined Arms Detachment (CAD). They've added a Lord of War slot (Superheavies and faction leaders like Dante or Logan). The Command Benefits of a CAD is that the Troops have Objective Secured, allowing

You can take any number of CADs, from 0 to infinity, so long as each one has 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices. If you want 6 Heavy Support slots, then a double CAD list is one way to do it.

The other 'standard' Detachment is the Allied Detachment. There is nothing special about it, other than that you can't choose your Warlord from it and it cannot be the same Faction as your Primary Detachment.

All of the 7th editions books and supplements have featured a Faction Specific Detachment (fan made name). They have different force org charts and command benefits from CADs.

There are also Formations, which are special Detachments in that you don't get to choose what units make them up. A Formation can be something like the Blitz Brigade, which consists of 5 Battlewagons. They are the same as any other Detachment - your warlord can be from a Formation, and you can have as many as you want.

This might belong in the OP for new players. Seems helpful for those who have questions about this kind of stuff. Maybe a tag on the end about tourney restrictions like only two max detachments and only one CAD, but those are slowly dieing as GW releases more formations that are as big or bigger than CADs.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Eversor assassin, this evening's game:

- Eats 2 turns of warpfire from flamers with only 1 wound to spare.

- Snipes dead a burning chariot rider with his bolt pistol.

- Charges and kills a squad of horrors and a herald.

- Charges and kills an immobilized defiler.

- Somehow topples an AV10 3hp building with his loving bolt pistol, killing some cultists.

- Finally dies to an overwatching autogun from a cultist.

:stare:

I love that smiling lunatic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished my first squad of Stormtroopers (don't you dare call them Militarum Tempestus!) for my Valhallans:

And just some detail of the bases, which have some grody old weathered helmets on them:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Revised "Just loving kill me now" Tyranid list:

Combined Arms Detachment (Primary)
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 255pts
++Electroshock Grubs
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Wings
Hive Tyrant 255pts
++Electroshock Grubs
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Wings
Hive Tyrant 230pts
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Wings
1840pts, 12 ML dice, two Flyrants with Electroshock (I can't bring myself to spend 100pts to give it to all four), and two Biovores added with the Troops savings!

Why are you paying 25pts for ESG?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SRM posted:

Finished my first squad of Stormtroopers (don't you dare call them Militarum Tempestus!) for my Valhallans:

These are loving sweet and a painful reminder I am bad at thinking of color schemes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

These are loving sweet and a painful reminder I am bad at thinking of color schemes.
Thanks! It wasn't that hard, but there was a little more red early on and they looked too Christmas-y. The whole squad was basically a test scheme and I spent a few days just painting the parts that I knew I'd want a certain color (namely their BDUs in brown and guns in green) and the thought of doing white carapace armor kinda scared me at first. Thankfully things went together pretty well, even if they take a while to paint. They're made to tie in with my Valhallans, which I think they do a pretty decent job at:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
SRM, Did you prime white or black. Any advice on big areas of white will be appreciated.

I'm getting ready to paint my juggernaut count as thunderwolf detachment but I'm not sure where to start. It will be preheresy world eater, so white with blue and bolt gun accents. I'm thinking I would shade it with Browns like earthshade. Maybe prime white heavy to get a brighter white, then wash heavy in earthshade, then bring the whites up from there in layers of thinned white paint.

Maybe I should use backwash instead for a cooler shade color? Might be more striking contrasts while also looking good on any metal I base coat before the shade, saving me a step or too as well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I primed black, then painted the whole model with Steel Legion Drab. Two coats of Ulthuan Grey got me a good grey-white, and then I washed the whole model Agrax Earthshade. I brought them back up to that white with one-two coats of Ulthuan Grey with pure white highlights. I don't know how well it would hold up over large flat areas, but on infantry armor it does pretty well. For their Tauroxes, I'll be painting them the same as all my other Valhallan vehicles:

I'll probably go a bit heavier on weathering now though, since I've got that excellent Typhus Corrosion lying around.

Personally, if you're going for a white and blue scheme like pre-Heresy World Eaters, I'd either prime white or blue (using something from Army Painter) and work up from there. All the white on my Ultramarines was Ulthuan Grey over their Crystal Blue basecoat, washed blue and brought back up. It gives it a cooler hue, and it'll look neater with the scheme:

SRM fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 23, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Monoliths posted:

- Somehow topples an AV10 3hp building with his loving bolt pistol, killing some cultists.

You missed 'explodes, killing *something*'.

It's not a proper eversor until it goes off like a biological nuke.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So my attempt at painting the Inquisitor I mentioned before ended up with me just doing a lot of colour experiments and never going anywhere with it because nothing really stuck for me.
No idea if I want to go with Sybarite Green as shown on one of his legs or just go with Russ Grey anyway. GISing for inspiration and ideas just gives me the normal blacks and golds or just silvers in the case of GK's.
Either way I'm just gonna chuck him in some green soap for a week though since I tossed on far too much paint on him for testing purposes.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Has anyone played with Space Marine honor guard much? The more batreps I watch the more I am convinced terminators of both variants are way to expensive for little return. To me honor guard seem like an insanely superior assault unit in every way. Armed with power mauls they seem like they would carve through drat near any sort of infantry, and make short work of vehicles of AV12 or less. The idea of 3 attacks base, power weapons of choice, plus bolt guns/pistols in a pinch I fail to find anything in the codex worthy of comparison, chuck in a chapter banner to grant an extra attack to all models for the price of 25, and you have 4 attacks, 5 on the charge.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

So my attempt at painting the Inquisitor I mentioned before ended up with me just doing a lot of colour experiments and never going anywhere with it because nothing really stuck for me.
No idea if I want to go with Sybarite Green as shown on one of his legs or just go with Russ Grey anyway. GISing for inspiration and ideas just gives me the normal blacks and golds or just silvers in the case of GK's.
Either way I'm just gonna chuck him in some green soap for a week though since I tossed on far too much paint on him for testing purposes.

Unless your goal is to have a very loud color scheme, (these sometimes look amazing) you're going to want to bring the base coat down several shades from turquoise. You'll want lowlights as well as highlights on top of that, the base tone of any color rarely looks good.

I suggest experimenting more with the turquoise, it's more interesting than grey. Grey with turquoise accents (like the lettering embedded in the armor) might look really cool, though.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Did anyone get either of the Shield of Baal books? I'm thinking about picking up Leviathan for the Cities of Death rules and allegedly cool fluff, but hadn't heard firsthand whether anyone actually liked it. I don't play Blood Angels or Tyranids.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

Unless your goal is to have a very loud color scheme, (these sometimes look amazing) you're going to want to bring the base coat down several shades from turquoise. You'll want lowlights as well as highlights on top of that, the base tone of any color rarely looks good.

I suggest experimenting more with the turquoise, it's more interesting than grey. Grey with turquoise accents (like the lettering embedded in the armor) might look really cool, though.

Best I can pull off in my case is just edge highlights because I'm honestly lost on anything more advanced than that without people specifically pointing out what colours to use and such.
Probably want something muted, since I'm using Scion bits for heads and arms I might just take a look at how their default scheme is done.

Honestly I really have no solid idea about what to use for colours for the guy other than not resorting back to the usual black or red with gold trim.
If anything I'd almost want to use a decent Alpha Legion scheme for him because I just like those colours, but that might look a little bit weird on an Inquisitor.

Really wish I could just find what the default Scion colour scheme is without having to resort to buying their drat painting guide.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 23, 2014

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Sulecrist posted:

Did anyone get either of the Shield of Baal books? I'm thinking about picking up Leviathan for the Cities of Death rules and allegedly cool fluff, but hadn't heard firsthand whether anyone actually liked it. I don't play Blood Angels or Tyranids.

Got both. The fluff is passable (better in Leviathan than Exterminatus), the art is somewhat good (although GW supposedly released a separate art book for it), the rules can be found within seconds on the net. If you've got more money and desire for CoD rules, than sense, go for it.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Mixing your own pot of custom color does wonders for consistency, so long as you like the color. Take an empty pot, put a spot of black paint in there, pour in far more turquoise and mix it in.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Sulecrist posted:

I just picked up the Leviathan eBook yesterday. It's a solid book both fluff and rules-wise. This was my first time ever getting an eBook of any kind and overall it's passable but the layout and format quality is not all that great. The .epub and .mobi files could definitely have done with some better page editing to make things fit in a smoother way. Still, Black Library is "only" charging $44.99 for the full book, which is $15 cheaper than what the Games Workshop page claims and way less than the print book. I'd like it in full print (I'm sure the layout is better there) but I'm not paying $80+ and waiting for it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uroboros posted:

Has anyone played with Space Marine honor guard much? The more batreps I watch the more I am convinced terminators of both variants are way to expensive for little return. To me honor guard seem like an insanely superior assault unit in every way. Armed with power mauls they seem like they would carve through drat near any sort of infantry, and make short work of vehicles of AV12 or less. The idea of 3 attacks base, power weapons of choice, plus bolt guns/pistols in a pinch I fail to find anything in the codex worthy of comparison, chuck in a chapter banner to grant an extra attack to all models for the price of 25, and you have 4 attacks, 5 on the charge.

A unit of 10 is as much as five terminators. Slap on a banner and you can justify multicharging almost anything.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

A unit of 10 is as much as five terminators. Slap on a banner and you can justify multicharging almost anything.

And this is why no-one takes Terminators.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Holy crap I never realised simply how different the points were. No invuln but just be careful with them and pick your targets.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Von Humboldt posted:

I've been running the following Ork list at 1850 under LVO/BAO restrictions, and been generally happy with it. I just cut out a Looted Wagon, however, and now have about one hundred extra points to fiddle with.

Combined Arms Detachment
Mega-Armored Warboss with kit
Mega-Armored Warboss with kit

2 Meks

16 Orks with Power Klaw Nob
16 Orks with Power Klaw Nob

Battlewagon with kit
Battlewagon with kit

Deffkopta
Deffkopta
Deffkopta

Allied Detachment
Big Mek with KFF, Fixer-Upper

Mek

9 Shootas with Power Klaw Nob

Blitzbomma

Lord of War
Kill Krusha with 5 TL Rokkits and 2 Grot Bomms

It's not exactly the most optimal list - the Kill Krusha has been a real puzzle to get to work, but I'm figuring it out - but it's been a lot of fun for me. The Blitzabomma is doing major work, and the Deffkoptas (thanks to those that provided input on them!) are proving invaluable for harassment. The Looted Wagon was very disappointing so it had to go - which brings us to those hundred extra points I have to spend. Where should they go? I'm out of Fast Attack slots, which is a bummer, but I am thinking about swapping a Deffkopta out for another Blizabomma or a Dakkajet. I've still got spots in the rest of the list, and I can sneak in a formation or fortification as well. I can build most anything, since I have a pile of Orks, lots of bits, and plenty of rescued Imperial vehicles.

Wait, is this legal? I thought allied detachments couldn't be from the same codex as your primary CAD. I've got three troops choices [god i miss manz as troops], so does that mean I can scum an extra HQ and heavy support slot into my army by allying with myself?

edit: as for the extra hundred points, I feel like lootas do work in any ork army.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 23, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait, is this legal? I thought allied detachments couldn't be from the same codex as your primary CAD. I've got three troops choices [god i miss manz as trops], so does that mean I can scum an extra HQ and heavy support slot into my army by allying with myself?

edit: as for the extra hundred points, I feel like lootas do work in any ork army.

You normally can't (You have to do double Combined Arms Detachments or do a CAD+Faction Detachment), but most tourneys allow self allying.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Monoliths posted:

Yeah the Eversor is probably the best of the bunch. I was a bit disappointed that his glove doesn't have an AP value but it barely matters when you're making 8 attacks on the charge (and then a bunch more when you explode :getin:). Plus it has the coolest model out of all the assassins.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

panascope posted:

Yeah the Eversor is probably the best of the bunch. I was a bit disappointed that his glove doesn't have an AP value but it barely matters when you're making 8 attacks on the charge (and then a bunch more when you explode :getin:).

I miss his 3e glove that glanced vehicles on a 4+.

Pretty sure with 8 attacks he could take out a Knight if that was still the case.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
For some reason I find this image incredibly funny

Credit:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/user/62749-Dr%20H.html

Very poor english article of what I already posted in the thread

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/12/new-dataslates-blood-angels-flesh.html

quote:

Warlord Traits:
1 The warlord and his unit have hatred . .
2 The warlord has romp . .
3 The warlord and his unit have low blare . .
4 The warlord and all units in 12 "radius around the warlords have Crusaders . .
5 The warlord and his unit have berserk . .
6 The warlord has injury ignore

I want all of those abilities, Romp especially.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 23, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is low blare like when your car stereo is really loud and you turn it down a little for some reason but the bass is still shaking the car?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

xtothez posted:

Why are you paying 25pts for ESG?

I was doing point costs from memory and used the 5th edition costs. Man, 10pts is a way better deal for that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SRM posted:

And just some detail of the bases, which have some grody old weathered helmets on them:

What do you do for snow? It looks great.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Posted without comment.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hixson posted:

What do you do for snow? It looks great.
Thanks! It's actually super simple (and stolen from Fyrbrand)
- Paint the parts of the base white where you want snow to go. This can be pretty sloppy since it's getting covered in snow, and it helps with planning.
- Mix 1 part PVA glue, 1 part water, 1 part snow flock (I use Gale Force 9, but it's just repackaged Woodland Scenics snow I'm pretty sure) until it's an almost toothpaste-like consistency. I spread that over the areas I painted white.
- Put snow flock on the paste, either sprinkling it or dipping the base in snow, whatever works for you, and shake off the excess.

Tadah
Also just using the paste can be good if you want to have a kind of slushy effect where snow hasn't freshly fallen, like on the wheels of my lascannon teams:

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

panascope posted:

Yeah the Eversor is probably the best of the bunch. I was a bit disappointed that his glove doesn't have an AP value but it barely matters when you're making 8 attacks on the charge (and then a bunch more when you explode :getin:). Plus it has the coolest model out of all the assassins.

Yeah 2+ armor and heavy vehicles are the stuff that's harder for him, pretty happy he did such a good job on the defiler with melta bombs and his own 4++. The bolt pistol on the building was pretty nutty though, not going to bank on that again. We forgot to explode him, but I don't think there would've been casualties. So yeah, after taking out probably triple his own points and making a lot of units in the middle of the board paranoid, I'll be running that little gem again. Right after I try all the others out. :unsmigghh:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Thanks! It's actually super simple (and stolen from Fyrbrand)
- Paint the parts of the base white where you want snow to go. This can be pretty sloppy since it's getting covered in snow, and it helps with planning.
- Mix 1 part PVA glue, 1 part water, 1 part snow flock (I use Gale Force 9, but it's just repackaged Woodland Scenics snow I'm pretty sure) until it's an almost toothpaste-like consistency. I spread that over the areas I painted white.
- Put snow flock on the paste, either sprinkling it or dipping the base in snow, whatever works for you, and shake off the excess.
What, no crushed glass? :v:

Monoliths posted:

Yeah 2+ armor and heavy vehicles are the stuff that's harder for him, pretty happy he did such a good job on the defiler with melta bombs and his own 4++. The bolt pistol on the building was pretty nutty though, not going to bank on that again. We forgot to explode him, but I don't think there would've been casualties. So yeah, after taking out probably triple his own points and making a lot of units in the middle of the board paranoid, I'll be running that little gem again. Right after I try all the others out. :unsmigghh:
Poor little guy. :smith:
I haven't had a chance to run my eversor with the new rules yet, but I'm really looking forward to try it out. My worry is that if he infiltrates he'll just get gunned down before reaching combat. Especially since first turn charges aren't allowed. That said, it is probably really easy to hide a single model and he does have a 3d6 charge range.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
You can't use marker tokens to call in seeker missiles from a different unit, right?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

You can! Marker can be spent by any Tau unit EXCEPT the one that placed them (unless it's networked marker, in which case the one that placed them can also use them).

Markerlight is spent before you fire, and thus cannot be used by the unit that placed it, as it is created at the same time as shooting.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Are you sure? The rule states 'the unit immediately fires a seeker missile (if it has one)'. This implies to me that the unit is the source of the seeker missile and also needs to have a seeker missile to fire one.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Oh, did I misread you? That unit refers to the unit spending the counter. I thought you meant the one creating it! Yeah, it has to be a missile from the unit currently firing. Sorry, my bad!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So there's like 3 things in the book that can actually use the marker light seeker ability? And the fact it ignores LoS is useless because Markerlights don't ignore LoS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Poor little guy. :smith:
I haven't had a chance to run my eversor with the new rules yet, but I'm really looking forward to try it out. My worry is that if he infiltrates he'll just get gunned down before reaching combat. Especially since first turn charges aren't allowed. That said, it is probably really easy to hide a single model and he does have a 3d6 charge range.

Assassins are exponentially easier to use if there's a decent amount of terrain on the board, particularly LOS blockers. Basically all of them but the vindicare want to charge you from behind something, though the callidus and culexus have ways to make things a little easier (weirdo deployment options and forcing snap shots, respectively). The eversor just gets infiltrate and 3d6 charge, so I had him hang out in a midfield building until some flamers nearly BBQed him in there.

• Locked thread