Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BaconPigbutt posted:

Did you by any change remember where you found those? anywhere near jotunheim?

C2 Fixed Beamers should be available in Kimura Temrinal/Atlantis, Cegreeth, Beta Tucanae-1, or Capasuwhatever just below Jotunheim. They're all high tech systems and between the four of them one definitely has them cause they're where I stuck the C2 Beamers on my Cobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

C2 Fixed Beamers should be available in Kimura Temrinal/Atlantis, Cegreeth, Beta Tucanae-1, or Capasuwhatever just below Jotunheim. They're all high tech systems and between the four of them one definitely has them cause they're where I stuck the C2 Beamers on my Cobra.

I think the fixed beams are actually available at Big Harry's itself, it's one of the few weapons he carries last I checked.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
Fewd, you find your aim is good enough that you can use fixed beams? Rock on beams forever, but I know my aim is poo poo and if I don't have gimballed I'm screwed. Damage is better with those right? You ever try the gimballed beam class 1 beam lasers?

I got my cobra outfitted with two class 1 gimballed beam lasers and two class 2 multi-cannons...but no shields.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The gimballed version of a weapon does less damage and generates more heat (drains more of the "energy" bar, which is actually cooling).

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

BaconPigbutt posted:

Did you by any change remember where you found those? anywhere near jotunheim?

The beams? Pretty much any high tech system ought to sell them.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
Oh well, thanks everyone for completely ruining my excuse not to buy this game. I guess I'll be back in the thread soon with a lot of dumb questions (yes, I do intend to do tutorials before posting).

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

evilolive posted:

Fewd, you find your aim is good enough that you can use fixed beams? Rock on beams forever, but I know my aim is poo poo and if I don't have gimballed I'm screwed. Damage is better with those right? You ever try the gimballed beam class 1 beam lasers?

The damage is massively awesomely. My aim is okay but that's coming from someone who has moused it for close to 30 years so ymmv.

Overall mouse aiming isn't that bad though. Ranged it's obviously better than gimballed anyways, and often when dogfighting the npc enemies just straight up open their belly to you as they try to strafe around and it's pretty easy to hit them. I'll stay away from sidewinders and such though. They melt all the same, but it requires :effort:.

e: Oh, and yea, I tried gimball C1 earlier. They used too much power and gimball aim sucked for beams. I'm gonna go simply with the C2's and leave C1's empty until I get better power core.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 23, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
These idiots are dumb with their ideas for the future of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yd-m9AR7mY

Walking around stations? Repelling boarders? Nope. Don't want that. Just give us more ship types, better missions, allow us to have influence on galactic events (by supporting an attack or station defense).

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

SquadronROE posted:

These idiots are dumb with their ideas for the future of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yd-m9AR7mY

Walking around stations? Repelling boarders? Nope. Don't want that. Just give us more ship types, better missions, allow us to have influence on galactic events (by supporting an attack or station defense).

We can have all of it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

We can have all of it.

If the developers don't focus on what I think is important they are incompetent doo-doo heads.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jacobeus posted:

So I noticed Sagittarius A* is indeed in the center of the galaxy where it should be, albeit at about 100,000 LY from my current location. If I get there will I actually be able to see about 6 stars orbiting a supermassive black hole?

Yes, you will (someone already did it and uploaded it to YouTube)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Skiant posted:

I love the look and feel of this game but I haven't bought it yet because I've got no TrackIR or anything similar, and I don't have a joystick neither.

Am I correct into thinking I'd need at the very least a cheap joystick (~30-50€) and a ghetto TrackIR system like the ones presented on the FreeTrack website, or the EDtracker system ?
That would easily put the game in the 100€ investment. Can I play remotely correctly with a keyboard/mouse or a X360 gamepad and without head tracking ?

Honestly I've been playing this better with mouse and keyboard than with my Thrustmaster, enough so that I was taking down a number of bounties including Vipers and poo poo with a Sidewinder and the loaned starter gear. TrackIR would be nice but it's not quite an atmospheric shooter with low ranges so it's usually fine to take a second to hit middle mouse and look around real quick. God knows you'll have a loooot of time to do that while you're in supercruise if you start exploring.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 23, 2014

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I do wonder why they seem so excited about walking around on your ship/planetary landings. Do they really want to go the Star Citizen route with a fraction of the development money? Why not just focus on the space combat portion that everyone bought the game for, which is still clearly unfinished?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Shima Honnou posted:

Honestly I've been playing this better with mouse and keyboard than with my Thrustmaster, enough so that I was taking down a number of bounties including Vipers and poo poo with a Sidewinder and the loaned starter gear. TrackIR would be nice but it's not quite an atmospheric shooter with low ranges so it's usually fine to take a second to hit middle mouse and look around real quick. God knows you'll have a loooot of time to do that while you're in supercruise if you start exploring.

As long as you swap the yaw and roll inputs (roll on mouse and yaw on A/D 'feels' authentic but it's a bitch to actually use) I find KB+M just fine.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pretty sure the walking bits are "We'd like to do this eventually" things and not "we're working on them ASAP" things.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Raziel Eldwor posted:

In case anyone is wondering there is nothing happening in the Durius system.

Maybe they wouldn't be so impoverished if they had some goddamn sense:

"Sir, why did you build two stations 84,691,369,385 kilometers from the nav point in a system with almost nothing in it?"

"Duuude, I would be totally hacked if Onionhead wasn't so outrageously chill!"

There are planets there, you just haven't explored them yet. Try to buy the exploration data for the system if you don't feel like flying there and look for yourself.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure the walking bits are "We'd like to do this eventually" things and not "we're working on them ASAP" things.

Exactly what I got out of it. Once we got everything running smoothly this is what we wanna try to do.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So I played a couple hours last night and got basically nothing done. I had fun doing nothing, though.

Money is a slow go for me. I can get some missions but maybe it's taking me forever to make money because I'm looking for "go and get this" missions or delivery missions. I'm staying away from combat missions because even the lowly harmless NPC space pirate mops the floor with me because I can't seem to aim and get enough shots off before I lose them and they fly over me and I can't manage to shake them before they get like 20 good laser shots off. One interdicted me last night and I was down to 23% loving hull and no shields before I noticed some other player had dropped out of SC to attack the dude or else maybe it was an NPC. Either way the pirate's focus was off of me so I took the opportunity to GTFO instead of try to destroy it. I had just upgraded a bunch of poo poo on my lovely 'Winder and since the money is slow-going as it is, was not looking forward to upgrading all that poo poo again in a new 'Winder. The whole time I couldn't maneuver enough to get more than a couple inaccurate shots off, each pass, and the NPC was definitely winning as it managed to stay above and behind me raping me with pulse lasers.

This might be because I was using my XB1 controller. But it probably would have been worse if I had been using the keyboard and R.A.T.7 at lowest sens because even then I get rattled and can't seem to get the ship where I need it to go in order to line up crosshairs for a few good shots.

In other news, I do enjoy using the XB1 controller to fly, it's a little easier once you get the hang of it to fly and land, although some of the common ship functions are not mapped to a controller and you still have to use the keyboard occasionally. Other than that it's an exercise in remember what combination of what button with what dpad direction does what.

Luccion posted:

There is one, it just doesn't seem to be something you are interested in. The stories circulating on the GALNET are the story. You can affect it by participating. You grind money to get the bigger and badder ships so you can participate with more impact. While the "costs" of doing business in an extraordinarily expensive ship are prohibitive, they do offer you the ability to do whatever you'd like. I mean, I can think up a dozen ways to spend my time just because I want to know if it will work or not. However, you also have to understand that this game is in development still as well. If you and several people on this board, are grinding through all the content with ease and efficiency, know that you are the minority. The average user of this game (who didn't have beta access of course) is probably just now upgrading to an Adder and still seeking upgrades.

For example, I don't play all day, but I sure do play way too much, and I didn't have beta access. I'm currently sitting on 11 million credits and a stripped down, 56 cargo, A FSD, D every other component, A fuel scoop, no weapon Cobra. I did that so I can run the Bast group to Lave group rare runs in just under an hour and 30 minutes. That clocks in at around ~1 million credits each cycle. However, I also do research on the interwebs about the games I play, have a spread sheet on my second screen and I'm generally a huge loving nerd. I can't imagine the average user comes anywhere close to the profitability that I do, but Frontier doesn't expect them to. If they had play owned systems, me, and several other bigger sperglords on these very boards would gather up system points, militarize them, and terrorize the average user, because we can. Frontier doesn't want that, for good reason.

I don't play enough or I'm doing the wrong things to make money because I've never had more than 20k credits at one time, and sometimes I go into a station and there are no missions. 11m credits is ridiculous

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Concerned Citizen posted:

I do wonder why they seem so excited about walking around on your ship/planetary landings. Do they really want to go the Star Citizen route with a fraction of the development money? Why not just focus on the space combat portion that everyone bought the game for, which is still clearly unfinished?

They are focusing on the space combat and clearly unfinished bits, though. You want to know what these videos really mean?

It means they plan on working or hope to work on this game for a long, long time. Since they aren't doing subscriptions, they'll accomplish this by releasing expansions, and they clearly hope to make each of these expansions a kind of game in their own right.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If the developers don't focus on what I think is important they are incompetent doo-doo heads.

You understand me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

As long as you swap the yaw and roll inputs (roll on mouse and yaw on A/D 'feels' authentic but it's a bitch to actually use) I find KB+M just fine.

Pitch W/S, Roll A/D, yaw mouse, pitch mouse (for minor aim correction, not major maneuvers), strafe left/right Q/E, thrust up/down R/F, Throttle L-Shift/L-Ctrl works just fine for me. It's the most intuitive way for me to have every flight input on one hand, and the mouse is used almost exclusively for fine aiming or just tooling around in supercruise instead of actual combat maneuvering.

I still have a tendency to hit the R key when I want to shoot my secondary fire missiles, because in other games R is for rockets.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Because they don't get to walk around in life much

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Atmospheric flight has a lot of potential for fun if it gets done correctly. My most fun memory of First Encounters was speeding along the surface of Venus. It was dank, foggy, atmosphere was sickly colored and I had entirely too much speed. Hoping I get to do modern version of surface speeding.

Not sure what to think of walking around the ship and... eh, boardings? We'll see.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I have to agree with this. The community in this game, like most games, is terrible about knowing what makes a good game and seems collectively all too OK with pushing the developers towards feature creep Hell. Elite: Dangerous is easily the best game of its genre released in years, and it isn't an unbearable poopsock MMO or a make-believe game/crowdfunding scam that is probably never coming out, either. The core mechanics are strong and very well done, and adding depth to those core mechanics and the political/economic simulation is what should be focused on, at least in my opinion.

Who the hell wants to deal with another set of keyboard bindings to deal with some awkward and silly FPS walkaround or boarding mini-game? Who actually wants to drive a literal planet-side truck in a game partially about space-trucking? Planetary landings sound OK but can be easily kept within the ship. Still, none of these things add any real depth to the game and sound like they will take up a lot of man-hours.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

They are focusing on the space combat and clearly unfinished bits, though. You want to know what these videos really mean?

It means they plan on working or hope to work on this game for a long, long time. Since they aren't doing subscriptions, they'll accomplish this by releasing expansions, and they clearly hope to make each of these expansions a kind of game in their own right.

Well, it also shows that some of them aren't on the same page so far as the ultimate vision of what the game is supposed to be. Many of them were talking about things where you're not controlling a space ship but controlling a space dude, but then others were talking about weird things like space aliens.

However, the nice part is that most of them seem to have the same vision, which is good. It means that it's likely to see less turnover (because people feel like they're going in the "right" direction) and they've got something of a plan for the future.

Personally my wishlist is ships that can carry other ships. I'd love to pool money for a big corvette that can carry some sidewinders, for mining and pirate shenanigans.

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Libluini posted:

There are planets there, you just haven't explored them yet. Try to buy the exploration data for the system if you don't feel like flying there and look for yourself.

I did fly there. My scanner must be malfunctioning.

VVV Pretty sure I did. Sometimes the game lags and it doesn't register.

Raziel Eldwor fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 23, 2014

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Raziel Eldwor posted:

Did you actually fire your scanner? You have to bind it to a fire group and hold down the trigger until it makes the Inception sound.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

life is killing me posted:

I don't play enough or I'm doing the wrong things to make money because I've never had more than 20k credits at one time, and sometimes I go into a station and there are no missions. 11m credits is ridiculous

You gotta have money to make money, as they say! Also, part of the early game is exploring, and finding where the real money making opportunities are. And you don't really need that much money to have a good time - those expensive ships require a mastery of the market to turn a profit with their huge operating costs, so don't be in a hurry to get there.

I've finally gotten to the point where I often have between 50 and 90k on hand at a given time, but remember that the value of your ship isn't lost either - I'm probably nearing my first million in total worth, just from steady upgrades.

I'm also working primarily as a bounty hunter, so I often get around 10k per kill, which can add up pretty quickly.

Most of the people with lots of money got there by trading, specifically by trading rares. If you want to make cash quick early on, that's still your best bet, though it doesn't scale nearly as well as it used to. But regular trading just received a big boost, so that's not as much of an issue.

We've got a full list of rare trade goods in all of our threads on here somewhere (linked in the OP maybe?), and to be honest it's a good way to start out. Even with the little sidewinder hull, you get to do a big long journey, a bunch of exploring (keep your discovery scanner for an extra cash boost as you travel) and get to see a bit of the galaxy while making a good amount of cash.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The only thing walking around on a station can conceivably add is to make it a little bit easier for players to ineract. But given that there's no real player-to-player trade system or need to visit marketplaces, it would just be a bunch of people typing dumb catchphrases and trying to find ways to make things glitch out.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Raziel Eldwor posted:

Or it doesn't have the range.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Raziel Eldwor posted:

babies havin rabies posted:

Did you actually fire your scanner? You have to bind it to a fire group and hold down the trigger until it makes the Inception sound.

I doubt he has a scanner with that range. He'd have to find them by parralex, and then scan once he got closer. Basic Scanner from the star really only reaches out as far as Earth - most planets are further out than that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

The only thing walking around on a station can conceivably add is to make it a little bit easier for players to ineract. But given that there's no real player-to-player trade system or need to visit marketplaces, it would just be a bunch of people typing dumb catchphrases and trying to find ways to make things glitch out.

Yeah I'm pretty sure walking around stations wouldn't add depth to the game, but another way to make some money. You can buy custom skins and baubles for your space guy.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

babies havin rabies posted:

I have to agree with this. The community in this game, like most games, is terrible about knowing what makes a good game and seems collectively all too OK with pushing the developers towards feature creep Hell. Elite: Dangerous is easily the best game of its genre released in years, and it isn't an unbearable poopsock MMO or a make-believe game/crowdfunding scam that is probably never coming out, either. The core mechanics are strong and very well done, and adding depth to those core mechanics and the political/economic simulation is what should be focused on, at least in my opinion.

Who the hell wants to deal with another set of keyboard bindings to deal with some awkward and silly FPS walkaround or boarding mini-game? Who actually wants to drive a literal planet-side truck in a game partially about space-trucking? Planetary landings sound OK but can be easily kept within the ship. Still, none of these things add any real depth to the game and sound like they will take up a lot of man-hours.

I agree with this. Leave it to dumb gamers to want to over-complicate a perfectly good game with gee-whiz features that don't end up improving it at all because there's too much poo poo to do. Want to put in planetary landings? Fine. Make it so you can't get out of the ship and you can just kind of pan with yaw and take screens of it to show friends and goons. But with...what? 400 billion star systems? How in the living gently caress are they going to make that many planets (easily more than 400 billion of them considering there are multiple planets in each system, I'm assuming) land-able and unique enough from one another that it would be worth it to land on more than ten?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I had just upgraded a bunch of poo poo on my lovely 'Winder and since the money is slow-going as it is, was not looking forward to upgrading all that poo poo again in a new 'Winder. The whole time I couldn't maneuver enough to get more than a couple inaccurate shots off, each pass, and the NPC was definitely winning as it managed to stay above and behind me raping me with pulse lasers.

If it makes you feel better, you wouldn't have to buy a whole new ship and fly around and get it outfitted. When your ship gets destroyed you're presented with a menu where you can pay ~10% of the ship's value to get an exact copy of it (cargo is not covered). If you can't afford that it offers a loan of up to 200,000 credits, giving you your ship back and 1,000 cr. It then repays this loan by skimming 10% of any profits you make until the loan is paid back.

If, despite the loan offer, you still cannot afford to replace your ship, the ship's components are line itemized so if you're just barely over the limit you could potentially choose to not get certain parts back in order to reduce the insurance payment. Plus your starting sidewinder is "free" (On loan from the Pilot's federation) so it wouldn't even count the value of the hull (And any loaned starter equipment you might still have) in the insurance costs.

Basically, your starter sidewinder is exceptionally cheap to replace, even with some modest upgrades.

Fewd posted:

Not sure what to think of walking around the ship and... eh, boardings? We'll see.

I admit, part of me is curious what the interior spaces of the Cobra Mk3 look like and how they are arranged. But thats mostly because I've always compared the Cobra to something like the Millennium Falcon. But I'd be just as satisfied with some concept art as I would be the ability to walk around it (which I can't see accomplishing much).

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I'm just gonna keep playing the fun game and when they add more fun stuff I'll say thank you and have additional fun.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I bought this last night, and on an impulse I decided to shoot and kill a federation officer ship to see what would happen. I got one down, but then a buddy of his showed up and wrecked me. Then I had to take out a loan to replace my ship.

I know there is a reputation system in this game, but I have not figured it out yet for myself. Did I just permanently screw my character's rep over (ala old Everquest days of grinding to repair faction) or is it fine? Should I just wipe my character and start over?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

You gotta have money to make money, as they say! Also, part of the early game is exploring, and finding where the real money making opportunities are. And you don't really need that much money to have a good time - those expensive ships require a mastery of the market to turn a profit with their huge operating costs, so don't be in a hurry to get there.

I've finally gotten to the point where I often have between 50 and 90k on hand at a given time, but remember that the value of your ship isn't lost either - I'm probably nearing my first million in total worth, just from steady upgrades.

I'm also working primarily as a bounty hunter, so I often get around 10k per kill, which can add up pretty quickly.

Most of the people with lots of money got there by trading, specifically by trading rares. If you want to make cash quick early on, that's still your best bet, though it doesn't scale nearly as well as it used to. But regular trading just received a big boost, so that's not as much of an issue.

We've got a full list of rare trade goods in all of our threads on here somewhere (linked in the OP maybe?), and to be honest it's a good way to start out. Even with the little sidewinder hull, you get to do a big long journey, a bunch of exploring (keep your discovery scanner for an extra cash boost as you travel) and get to see a bit of the galaxy while making a good amount of cash.

Yeah, I'm going to explore some more instead. I've got a souped-up 'Winder with only a few things not upgraded because they are too expensive to do so, and I think I need to hang out in more than just Eravate, Kini and Frigaha. I've been hanging out in those mostly because I can expect the easy kinds of missions in those stations typically, but they are also busy systems and sometimes it takes forever for me to get clearance granted to dock at any of the stations and outposts in the system.

How does cartography work? Do I need a discovery scanner to actually be able to sell maps or what?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
How long does it take to earn the best combat or merchant rig and what do you do with them once you have them?

Legit question, I'm not being smarmy but I'm not touching this poo poo if the mid to endgame is 'numbers go up'.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Just look at what happened in Eve with walking in stations.
Absolutely nothing that was worth the dev time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I'm going to explore some more instead. I've got a souped-up 'Winder with only a few things not upgraded because they are too expensive to do so, and I think I need to hang out in more than just Eravate, Kini and Frigaha. I've been hanging out in those mostly because I can expect the easy kinds of missions in those stations typically, but they are also busy systems and sometimes it takes forever for me to get clearance granted to dock at any of the stations and outposts in the system.

How does cartography work? Do I need a discovery scanner to actually be able to sell maps or what?

Eravate (you started in LHS 3447, right?) actually has some light trade opportunities for you (though I admit they might've been run into the ground). That system, IIRC, has two Industrial stations and an agricultural station. To earn some money right after resetting my save in late gamma, I ran coffee/tea from the agri-station to one of the industrial stations for about 400-500cr a ton profit and brought back power converters to the agri-station for about ~300cr/ton profit.

Good chance this has been run into the ground since that system is right next to a starting zone, even when I did it there were a few others running the same goods. Still, with the recent market fixes/tweaks it might be decent.

• Locked thread