Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Fat bouncy basslines, metallic percussion and shouting. There you go!

edit: By the way MrLongHair, you can get just the perfect fat EBM bass out of a Korg Volca Bass. I'd post a demo but right now a friend has my unit

Don't forget some sexy posing

I can also confirm that Volca Bass does legit EBM bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The electribe has arrived!
I can't play with it yet, because Jesus/Saturnalia/Santa or whatever.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Startyde posted:

I can't tell if microgenres are supposed to be tongue in cheek or if just every hack music journalist wants to be the dude who coined a name in case one blows up. They definitely make me feel crotchety regardless.

We need a microgenre for when you directly compile your modular synth YouTube videos and release it as musical album.
I'm not saying that is a bad thing. I just wanna create a stupid name for it and this thread is the place to do that dirty deed.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ton of ios synths on sale. All the Arturia stuff is half off, as is the surprisingly fun Galileo B3 simluation.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

The Cleaner posted:

We need a microgenre for when you directly compile your modular synth YouTube videos and release it as musical album.
I'm not saying that is a bad thing. I just wanna create a stupid name for it and this thread is the place to do that dirty deed.

palbert
Cause it's a mod on your tube

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Whoever was looking for Kraftwerk style stuff should check this out: http://eodtracks.bandcamp.com/album/sports-tools

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after going years and years without a keyboard, I've decided to get the Minibrute next month; I'm pretty much going to be a beginner at the more complex synth work and was researching it even before I saw it was a recommended purchase in this thread. I previously bought my brother that very same Microkorg, which he is constantly baffled by but just fucks around with it.
What software works well with PCs in regards to recording synth stuff to a computer? I'm talking about actually recording and working with the sounds as opposed to programming patterns into the keyboard. I've tried to look up what stuff is compatible with the Minibrute but haven't really divined much.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
If you're not turned off by the smaller size of the keys, I'd suggest looking at the microbrute too. It's got more flexible routing of lfos and such and is cheaper but the size of the keys (and the unit overall) is smaller and it has a sequencer instead of an arpegiator. Only you konw which is a better fit for you but be aware of both.

As far as recording, there are dozens of DAWs to choose from. Reaper is pretty cheap (and has a generous trial policy) but theres many to choose from -- bitwig, ableton, fl studio, etc. Your choice here is going to come down to preference.

You'll also need an audio interface. This is generally an outboard soundcard that you can plug your instrument into to get low latency and properly leveled signals into your computer. I have a Focusrite 2i4 which works great for me (two audio inputs for synths, guitar, etc plus it has midi in/out if you need to work with gear without midi-over-usb).

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

MinibarMatchman posted:

after going years and years without a keyboard, I've decided to get the Minibrute next month; I'm pretty much going to be a beginner at the more complex synth work and was researching it even before I saw it was a recommended purchase in this thread. I previously bought my brother that very same Microkorg, which he is constantly baffled by but just fucks around with it.
What software works well with PCs in regards to recording synth stuff to a computer? I'm talking about actually recording and working with the sounds as opposed to programming patterns into the keyboard. I've tried to look up what stuff is compatible with the Minibrute but haven't really divined much.

Reaper is a cheap good DAW to use that has a fully unlocked demo. It's what I have at least. Do you have an audio interface?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

Reaper is a cheap good DAW to use that has a fully unlocked demo. It's what I have at least. Do you have an audio interface?

Don't have a committed outboard audio interface, is there a good one you recommend that's cheap? One of my concerns (if at all warranted) was that some, if any, effects from midi synths get muffled or hosed with through certain interfaces.
Reaper looks pretty good for a DAW so I'll have to play around with that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MinibarMatchman posted:

One of my concerns (if at all warranted) was that some, if any, effects from midi synths get muffled or hosed with through certain interfaces.
I don't even know what that means.

There's a whole thread for audio interfaces, called the audio interface thread.

Very happy with my Roland Quad Capture. Shave $70 off and lose some less essential features with the Duo Capture Ex. There's a lot more on the market though.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The Cleaner posted:

Patchcore sounds like something legit enough. Maybe not dumb enough of a name. That or Vactrolwave or something.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
compile?

funroll loops

gitwave

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

The Cleaner posted:

streambwerp

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Fartkore

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
grognardica

boffinwave

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
480pXc

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So I'm at disneyworld for Christmas and downloaded the Volca Sample app to record all the weird sounds here since I plan on getting the unit when I get home and it's actually really great to always have a tape recorder with me to record things like roller coaster mechanical sounds, African drums, or even little bastards throwing tantrums to use them later and besides the aforementioned convenience the sound quality has also been fantastic, so anyone on the fence about it because of it being tied to an "app", at least that part of the unit has been really nice to use.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
techtip
euphoricore
dewbient
(cool)ranchwave

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Guys Behringer is posting nonsense on facebook

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/12/behringer-clones-korg-remaking-arp-odyssey-say/

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

post-genre

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

retro post-genre

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Sjoewe posted:

retro post-genre

:crafty:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Behringer is very rude.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

net work error posted:

Behringer is very rude.

Hey business is business. I'm glad they are introducing some competition.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Behringer were working on at least a weird fucker of a synth beast back when they were alright. They are alright again, so bring it on, especially if it reaches that price.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Behringer was asked if this was polyphonic and replied

BEHRINGER posted:

Dear Robert, we're also working on a poly Synth.

If they could bring a modern inexpensive juno clone to market it seems like they would be printing money...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bolange posted:

Behringer was asked if this was polyphonic and replied

If they could bring a modern inexpensive juno clone to market it seems like they would be printing money...

THIS I can get behind. :getin:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

gently caress a Juno. Behringer CS-80 with MIDI :getin:

Maybe it would tempt Korg into a PS-series remake. A crazy analog arms race among high volume big time production outfits would be insane.

toadee fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 24, 2014

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

W424 posted:

"witch house" was my "goddamn kids" moment.
A thousand percent this.

I could go on, but I shan't.

EDIT: I also meant to say something about avoiding GAS lust, but the thread has moved on somewhat, and I don't think I'd say anything terribly useful that hasn't already been said. For me, so far at least, the problem hasn't been hardware (which I'm still just getting into re: synths), but software. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it now though, despite occasional flare ups.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 24, 2014

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tagging on to this Behringer Odyssey clone discussion (which I have no idea how to feel about), what's everybody's perspective on a recreation like this: would you rather have a highly accurate recreation of the Odyssey at a premium, or a reasonable but not totally faithful recreation for a more attractive price? What's an acceptable trade off?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Tagging on to this Behringer Odyssey clone discussion (which I have no idea how to feel about), what's everybody's perspective on a recreation like this: would you rather have a highly accurate recreation of the Odyssey at a premium, or a reasonable but not totally faithful recreation for a more attractive price? What's an acceptable trade off?

Who the hell cares if it sounds exactly like some old keyboard? Is it fun? Does it sounds great? Seriously the whole point of synthesisers is to make music. If all you're going to do is make YouTube videos that compare old fart to new fart then you deserve to pay as much as anyone can screw out of you. Everybody else gets to enjoy life.

I actually would prefer that it not be a replica of something old because then they could come up with a better keyboard.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Considering the poo poo-fits people throw when a clone synth sounds even slightly different (I'm looking at you, 303 clones), I would much rather have a different synth alltogether at the reasonable price.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

Considering the poo poo-fits people throw when a clone synth sounds even slightly different (I'm looking at you, 303 clones), I would much rather have a different synth alltogether at the reasonable price.

Same, there are -a poo poo ton- of limitations on old synth design that people just take as convention. Eg., ADSR envelopes are loving dumb, there's gently caress all reason in TYOOL 2014 for envelopes not to be multistage looping. Every synth should have a mod matrix, every amp should be velocity sensitive, every synth should adhere to the midi tuning standard, every synth should have an lcd display capable of telling you the patch name, bank and preset number.
Regardless, I'll still buy the gently caress out of a Behringer Odessy clone, I always wanted one of those.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

minidracula posted:

EDIT: I also meant to say something about avoiding GAS lust, but the thread has moved on somewhat, and I don't think I'd say anything terribly useful that hasn't already been said. For me, so far at least, the problem hasn't been hardware (which I'm still just getting into re: synths), but software. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it now though, despite occasional flare ups.
I'll have the occasional "What? I don't have a Wurlitzer vst? I must have one!" and then add something that I'll never use to my 'testing' folder, but the compulsive hoarding of anything and everything is over, I'm glad to say.

So, another argument against price as a metric is that you can GAS pretty badly over free plugins.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sizone posted:

Same, there are -a poo poo ton- of limitations on old synth design that people just take as convention. Eg., ADSR envelopes are loving dumb, there's gently caress all reason in TYOOL 2014 for envelopes not to be multistage looping. Every synth should have a mod matrix, every amp should be velocity sensitive, every synth should adhere to the midi tuning standard, every synth should have an lcd display capable of telling you the patch name, bank and preset number.
Regardless, I'll still buy the gently caress out of a Behringer Odessy clone, I always wanted one of those.

While at this point I agree with you that some of the limitations imposed by modern synth builders are idiotic, I will say that it makes sense for some of the entry-level synths to stick to convention. If the Microbrute had more than an ADSR I would have been pretty lost for longer than I was. That being said, it wasn't as much of a challenge to wrap my head around the mod/envelope matrix on it, and I'm glad to have it on there, even if it is pretty small.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

http://instagram.com/p/xAJojhHVmV/

edit: let's not break tables

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Behringer doomed to be copies of copies forever.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
It's a reddit Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Haha. That's actually not a terrible forum most of the time. It's cool to see different people's setups