Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

Greetings, All.

Work continued today on Chapter XII -- to be honest, since it's the GM's advice-and-tools section, I keep recalling things that I wanted to add in there, and I wrestle with doing that, or just continuing with layout and saving some of those goodies for a later GM's companion release.  (Spoiler alert:  I've pretty much been just putting the stuff in.  I figure if the book is already late, you should at least get some additional material.)

I'll still be getting chances to keep working at least a couple of hours per day over the weekend and during the coming week -- and I'll keep letting you know about progress (even though I suspect that a lot of you will rightfully be staying away from email, and so may not see the updates).

Thanks as always,

Gareth

Gareth what no no Gareth what are you doing no don't Gareth what stop. Stop Gareth. Please.

Also I guess this so close to done book requires 3-5 hours per day of layout, which will continue for at least another week.

I half expect the book, if it's ever released, will be a textual descent into mad gibberish. You start reading about cowboys and samurai, you end reading about sleepy college students and the evils of good customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES GARETH A DULL BOY.
ALL WORK AND N

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES GARETH A DULL BOY.
ALL WORK AND N

That made me think of a joke RPG system set in the Freakazoid world. It's completely normal and serious looking until they start mentioning big names in the world and reach Candlejack. A sentence after mentioning his name and the rest of the book is blank.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Mehuyael posted:

That made me think of a joke RPG system set in the Freakazoid world. It's completely normal and serious looking until they start mentioning big names in the world and reach Candlejack. A sentence after mentioning his name and the rest of the book is

Seems like the kind of gimmick that you have to go 100% on.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

inklesspen posted:

Seems like the kind of gimmick that you have to go 100% on.

I suppose you're right, I dunno why I didn't do it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Well I got my Viticulture/Tuscany combo as well as the MERCS: Conflict game yesterday. The Viticulture pack is heavy as shiiiiit

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Plague of Hats posted:

Gareth what no no Gareth what are you doing no don't Gareth what stop. Stop Gareth. Please.

Also I guess this so close to done book requires 3-5 hours per day of layout, which will continue for at least another week.

I half expect the book, if it's ever released, will be a textual descent into mad gibberish. You start reading about cowboys and samurai, you end reading about sleepy college students and the evils of good customer service.

It's always a good idea to add more content post-editing. That is assuming the book had any editing, which I kinda doubt.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

People that got Dungeon Lords -- did you ever get a shipping number or anything, or did it just show up one day?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
No, it just showed up one day. I emailed them about it (about two days before it showed, and they answered after) and they said I should have got a shipping number, but I never did.

Shipped by UPS, FWIW.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Got my viticulture ce and treasure chest shipping notice
Still waiting on dungeon lords, resistance, and scoville

US

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I got my Resistance shipping notice a couple days ago, saying it should be here on the 30th. US here as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

NmareBfly posted:

People that got Dungeon Lords -- did you ever get a shipping number or anything, or did it just show up one day?
Also, if you did get stuff and were missing/got the wrong combat board, there's a replacement request formed, linked on the KS page.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My brother and I got in two games of Maha Yodha on Friday night.

First: it was fun! An interesting basic mechanic I haven't seen before (although I don't know if it's especially original, I haven't played that many games). Once you know the rules, a game goes reasonably quick, and there's a fair amount of thinking to do and I can tell there's significant depth to be had. E.g., strategies.

The rulebook has a lot of problems. There's one glaring inconsistency - you spend "valor" to play cards from your hand, and it says in two places you get 7 valor per turn, but it says in at least three other places it's 5 per turn. We're pretty sure it's supposed to be five, but was 7 at some point during beta testing and they missed a couple places where it needed to be changed.

There are also several vague places in the rules. We hit one basically on the very first card of the very first game - you start with 20 life, and the game only comes with 20 live worth of life tokens per player, but there are cards that let you "gain" life. Can you go higher than 20? The rules don't say.

You can play weapon cards, and they only work when a Warrior wields them. But... the rules about that are vague. They use the word "assign," like this:

quote:

A weapon can only be assigned to a Warrior card, and any Weapon card can be assigned to any Warrior.

However, only one Weapon at a time can be assigned to a Warrior. You must have a Warrior on the battlefield before assigning any Weapon to the Warrior. Each weapon offers a bonus when paired with a specific Warrior.
For example: If you play Sugriva and Goshirsha together on the battlefield, you get the bonus of an extra point of Valor, Attack, or Defense. You may choose the bonus.

Well, OK, seems straightforward, but actually... Attack and Defense are numbers that are "checked" during the Resolve phase of first your turn (for Attack) and then your opponent's turn (for Defense). So, because cards can interact with those values, they can fluctuate during the game. But Valor is tokens you can spend.

So: if I pair a weapon with a Warrior, and then my Warrior gets removed from play, obviously the Weapon's own inherent Attack and/or Defense values go away.
But what about the paired bonus? The rules are completely silent about this situation.
-If the paired bonus goes away when the weapon stops being paired with the named Warrior, then that is inconsistent with the Valor bonus, which you may have already spent! You can't get the Valor back or un-spend Valor. Do you lose 1 spare Valor token, if you have one, but nothing happens if you already spent it?
-If the paired bonus doesn't go away, that'd be inconsistent with every other thing that adds to your attack or defense value, which is always based on what's shown on the cards in front of you at the moment those values are checked.

Worse: what happens if I have two Warriors, and one weapon card in play? Presumably I have to pick which warrior is wielding the weapon... but can I change that? If so, when? If my opponent causes me to discard the Warrior who had the weapon, does the weapon:
1. get discarded too?
2. stay on the battlefield, but no longer function? (and if so, see the previous issue)
3. get assigned to the other Warrior?

And if that paired bonus only worked with the first warrior, then do I lose the paired bonus/any spare Valor token I hadn't spent?

This poo poo really isn't an uncommon occurrence, it's just a big oversight in the rules not to discuss it. I'm sure during playtesting it came up and probably the designers just never considered that there might be more than one way to handle it, so they neglected to spell out exactly what's supposed to happen.

There's other stuff like this in the rules, nothing as egregious, but timing issues that are vague. You can tell these people have never played Magic, or any game like it, where the exact timing of events/actions/etc. is critical and gets laid out very explicitly and clearly. If you look back at that quote, using the word "assigned" is really dumb because that word is never defined, and does not appear anywhere else in the game. What, exactly does it mean to assign a Weapon? Exactly when must you assign: can you play a weapon on its own to the table, and then play a Warrior, and then assign the weapon to the Warrior? Can you leave a weapon unassigned, such as when you don't want to use its values (there are situations where having a higher attack could actually hurt you - there's a scroll, for example, that your opponent can play that makes you take damage whenever you deal damage to your opponent), and then wait and assign it on your opponent's turn? Can you assign/unassign as an interrupt to something your opponent does on his turn?

You have a bunch of cards called Scrolls, which have valor costs. The valor cost is always printed on the card, even when it's zero. These cards go from the table to your discard pile at the beginning of your turn, so they're mostly one-use-only cards, which are in play from the Deploy phase of your turn, through your opponent's turn, and then discarded in the Reconcile phase of your next turn.

Each card has some kind of effect. The rule says:

quote:

The effect remains as long as the scroll is on the battlefield. You may use the benefit of the scroll's effect(s) only once - either on your turn or on your opponent's turn - as specified on the scroll.

Well hey guess what, most of the scrolls do not specify. Presumably this means you get to choose when to use the effect. But exactly when do you get to choose? If I'm saving up an effect, and my opponent uses an ability or scroll that sends my scroll to the discard pile, can I interrupt their thing to use the ability before the scroll goes away?

And are effects instantaneous, or continuous?

The game comes with little cards that let you track your attack and defense with tokens. Neat! But one interpretation of the rules is that, during your Deploy phase, you add up stuff to get your Attack, which you put on your card, and then you use that Attack during the Resolve phase. So, if I played a scroll that gives me +1 attack... does that +1 last through my attack phase, regardless of whether the scroll remains in play? What about +1 Defense, which is a value tested during your opponent's attack phase: if my opponent removes that scroll during his Deploy phase, does its bonus to my Defense go away before/during his Resolve phase?

You also have Maha Vidya scrolls, which have a dual function. In the base game, only one function works: it says "play to gain one life." The other function only works with cards in the expansion set.
When do you gain one life? Can you wait to decide? In the base game, this is only going to matter if you're not allowed to go above 20: e.g., can you play the card, wait till your opponent's Resolve phase, take damage, and then "use" the card to regain one life?
But in the expansion game it's going to get worse. There's a scroll (in both decks) that lets you draw cards equal to how many cards you have on the Battlefield. Since you (apparently) get to decide when to use the benefit, presumably you play as many cards as you can get out (lots of scrolls cost 0, and some card combos can give you extra Valor, so in one turn my brother managed to get 8 cards out at once), and then you draw all those cards. Maybe you draw the card that the Maha Vidya card matches? You'd obviously want to play it, and then get the pairing bonus. That implies that you can choose not to immediately take the +1 life from the Maha Vidya scroll if you play it by itself.

But those cards are called "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and they have the text "Play the <whatever> Scroll along with this card. <then an effect>"
Does "Play along with" mean you must play both cards directly from your hand simultaneously? Only the WMD card has a Valor cost printed on it. If I already have the matching Maha Vidya Scroll in play, does that mean I can't "play along with" the WMD card, it's too late?

Who loving knows?

This is just the poo poo we found in the first two games, I'm certain there are more ambiguities. There are also a few ordinary editing errors, both in the rulebook and on the cards. Enough that I'm pretty sure these were never professionally edited. No spelling errors that I've seen, but missing words, extra words, and wrong words.

Soooo.... this is a cool game, and hopefully there will be an FAQ/rules errata for it soon, because as it is right now, you're going to have to houserule a few specific situations in order to play. The cards are really high quality, nice and slick, the graphics are gorgeous, I love the illustrations, and I'm still not actually unhappy with the game. But maaan, this is one of those examples where just doing playtesting isn't enough: you also need someone experienced with rules-writing to give you advice on how to write very clear rules. Especially in a game where the exact order in which things happen matter. I mean... it's just really glaring, if I can't even figure out whether bonuses given by a card outlive that card, when you've got several ways in the game to remove cards from play.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Got my shipping notification for Tuscany! Looking forward to where I can break it out in the new year.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
The new Lancaster Big Box Kickstarter by Queen games forces you to buy Edo alongside and offers no way for people who already have Lancaster for an upgrade to the new board and such. They must have planned long and hard on how to annoy people.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

echoMateria posted:

The new Lancaster Big Box Kickstarter by Queen games forces you to buy Edo alongside and offers no way for people who already have Lancaster for an upgrade to the new board and such. They must have planned long and hard on how to annoy people.

Queen Games campaigns are always douchey when it comes to their reward tiers

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Germ posted:

Just finished shipping for my latest Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming . Thanks a million to everyone who backed it!

I just got my walls and the remnants thereof and they look great. I'm looking forward to your shop opening up so I can pick up some of the flat terrain pieces.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just got my Worldsmith Industries resin terrain from SA TG regular Germ!

They're exactly what I was hoping for. A perfectly-run kickstarter, in my opinion; and delivered two months early!

Good job Germ. :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My copies of 100 Deluxe Dungeons and the bonus content book just arrived today. The bonus dungeons are pretty neat.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

My copies of 100 Deluxe Dungeons and the bonus content book just arrived today. The bonus dungeons are pretty neat.

For real? That was a lot quicker than I expected it to start showing up. Good to hear, though!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dagon posted:

For real? That was a lot quicker than I expected it to start showing up. Good to hear, though!

I ordered it on the 16th so about a week? DriveThru has a pretty good turnaround on print products.

Speaking of which, will the bonus content be available in PDF?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I got my 365 Dungeons calendar today. The dungeons all look great, but sadly the whole thing fell apart during shipping. December 18th through the end of the year are still attached to the board, but the majority of the year detached at some point during shipping and was just rattling around in the box.

Sent in a message about it, inquiring about replacements and was told "I could send another but the same thing would happen again. Next years will be shrink wrapped though" so I guess if I get the 2016 calendar I'll be set.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

jivjov posted:

I got my 365 Dungeons calendar today. The dungeons all look great, but sadly the whole thing fell apart during shipping. December 18th through the end of the year are still attached to the board, but the majority of the year detached at some point during shipping and was just rattling around in the box.

Sent in a message about it, inquiring about replacements and was told "I could send another but the same thing would happen again. Next years will be shrink wrapped though" so I guess if I get the 2016 calendar I'll be set.

Ug, I hope its not all of them. Did you get a tracking number when it shipped!?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

spoon daddy posted:

Ug, I hope its not all of them. Did you get a tracking number when it shipped!?

Not sure; I may have? But it was a complete surprise to receive a package today.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Am I missing any good boardgames on KS? I only ask because it looks like I'm either getting picky or in a dry spell..

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
December's kind of a terrible time to launch a Kickstarter, so it's probably a dry spell.

I received my Tuscany Collector's Edition (w/ 2nd edition Viticulture) today. Love the production values, design looks promising. Won't get to play it until January, though. I was surprised to note that the boxes are smaller (but deeper) than Euphoria, although the combined "wine crate" package will still eat up a fair bit of storage. Also, I think Tuscany weighs about three times as much as the base game. drat, that thing is packed.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

malkav11 posted:

December's kind of a terrible time to launch a Kickstarter, so it's probably a dry spell.

I received my Tuscany Collector's Edition (w/ 2nd edition Viticulture) today. Love the production values, design looks promising. Won't get to play it until January, though. I was surprised to note that the boxes are smaller (but deeper) than Euphoria, although the combined "wine crate" package will still eat up a fair bit of storage. Also, I think Tuscany weighs about three times as much as the base game. drat, that thing is packed.

Thought as much, thank you!

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Ropes4u posted:

Am I missing any good boardgames on KS? I only ask because it looks like I'm either getting picky or in a dry spell..

2014 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects was a nice list to keep track of, guess we'll get a new one to track in a week. ;)

Some Highlights:

Biblios Dice Dice versions of popular card games are on the rise, so Biblios joins the foray as well.

Fireteam Zero Yet another tactical miniatures game. Not set in the Hellboy universe, not at all.

Viceroy is quite popular and cheap, being a relatively small card game.

Taluva Deluxe is Carcassonne with a twist for people made up of money.

ZNA if you are one of those people who can't get enough miniatures and needs one more game with zombies and don't mind paying absurd amounts.

Of all currently active Kickstarter B&C games, I think Viceroy is the best choice if you want to back something, being cheap, good looking and having a somewhat interesting gameplay.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

echoMateria posted:

2014 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects was a nice list to keep track of, guess we'll get a new one to track in a week. ;)

Some Highlights:

Biblios Dice Dice versions of popular card games are on the rise, so Biblios joins the foray as well.

Fireteam Zero Yet another tactical miniatures game. Not set in the Hellboy universe, not at all.

Viceroy is quite popular and cheap, being a relatively small card game.

Taluva Deluxe is Carcassonne with a twist for people made up of money.

ZNA if you are one of those people who can't get enough miniatures and needs one more game with zombies and don't mind paying absurd amounts.

Of all currently active Kickstarter B&C games, I think Viceroy is the best choice if you want to back something, being cheap, good looking and having a somewhat interesting gameplay.

I was t aware of the BGG list that will be nice to follow in 15. I want to like ZNA but just can't decide if it's any good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

malkav11 posted:

Half the weight of Tuscany is the metal coins, if you ordered those.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

malkav11 posted:

Why is that? Because people are at home instead of browsing the internet at work? People are already spending lots of money? Or some other reason?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Jimbozig posted:

Why is that? Because people are at home instead of browsing the internet at work? People are already spending lots of money? Or some other reason?

People are spending all their money on Christmas gifts that they need right now, not six months down the road.

When you launch can have a dramatic effect on your success. That super-party-cooler initially launched in December and didn't make its goal, then re-launched in the summer-time (when people are thinking about coolers) and set a Kickstarter record.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A lot of people get paid on the first or last days of the month. Setting your KS to end then can make a difference as well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A lot of people get paid on the first or last days of the month. Setting your KS to end then can make a difference as well.

Which is dumb, since you can use a credit card. "Drat, I missed the KS so now I have to spend $400 on Ebay to get all the extras..." :confused:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Which is dumb, since you can use a credit card. "Drat, I missed the KS so now I have to spend $400 on Ebay to get all the extras..." :confused:

Not everyone HAS a credit card.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Esser-Z posted:

Not everyone HAS a credit card.

Not everybody has a credit card with credit left on it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
You have bigger issues than affording kickstarter contributions in that case.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Even with limit left, credit cards (if you have one) aren't infinite free money machines. It's entirely possible not to have room in your budget when a kickstarter ends. I find "just put it on credit" rather ignorant of financial realities.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

We budget pretty well, but if anything is going to make me say "gently caress it, take another $100" it's going to happen on payday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

We budget pretty well, but if anything is going to make me say "gently caress it, take another $100" it's going to happen on payday.

Pretty much, military and other Federal types get paid EOM too. Nobody spends like a soldier.

• Locked thread