Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah so that you can equip another pair of sunglasses, so now you're wearing two pairs, thus, twice as schway.

Do you mean like, uploading?

E: Or do you mean multiplayer? I got multiplayer working, yeah.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Shoehead posted:

Ohhh like the Misfits. Sure! Hair is super easy to add in so if anyone has any ideas\requests\demands go ahead

Two weird skeleton horns!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

A smaller skull on top of your normal skull!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
But what if I open my normal skull and there is a smaller skull inside? That is also wearing a skull, which has like seven mohawks?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But what if I open my normal skull and there is a smaller skull inside? That is also wearing a skull, which has like seven mohawks?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So i decided to move away from Impervium gear to check out the magic and the ranged sets.

The Magic set has some awesome stuff. i love how the staves cast technospells. Absolutely loving amazing ideas. But, they all suck rear end because of a lovely cast timer and only shoot the direction your facing.

On the other side, the ranged poo poo looks neat, but it all currently blows rear end by standard. You take too much damage, and the enemies take almost no damage because of how armor currently works for npcs. Ive found white weapons with higher damage values. Love the look of the guns from it though. My randomly found Sniper Rifle currently can shoot 3 times before im out of energy and each shot hits for 900. But i prefer by big rear end Impervium club that hits for 1300.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is stuff like energy usage for a gun defined individually on a by-item basis file-wise, or is there some formula that helps determine the stats of the randomly-generated guns?

Also they need to fix that armor poo poo, because I'm getting ready to make awful puns again

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Is stuff like energy usage for a gun defined individually on a by-item basis file-wise, or is there some formula that helps determine the stats of the randomly-generated guns?

Also they need to fix that armor poo poo, because I'm getting ready to make awful puns again

no. the energy bar is a catch-all for techs and any/all ranged weapons or technostaves. It really makes anything but the Impervium stuff useless. The technomancer equipment would be amazing for multiplayer since you could have the Impervium Tank basicly keep poo poo occupied while you do some damage with awesome rear end looking spells. Just becareful though cause all of those spells have some sort of friendly fire attached, and the one that shoots pink fireballs can actually break poo poo. i think i lost a few stacks of minerals on my ship.

Also, once the MM is fully upgraded, mining speeds are decent enough that i didnt mind spending about 4 hours earlier mining tons of stuff.

edit: The only frustrating thing about the mining is that diamond takes about twice as long to mine as any of the 4 endgame ores. i MUST mine every diamond i see, as long as its in a group of 3 or more.

Second edit, just to beat Rrussom to the punch: Grim Creap'ed again.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 23, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hey, since items can have scripting now and status effects are like techs, does that mean we can have wacky poo poo like instruments that provide buffs while being played, or a gun with bullets that make people drive a jeep?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Possibly. I haven't messed around with buffs a lot, but they did make a big fuss about the status system being open to modification, so I assume so, yeah.

Also, working on the ship again:

Thinking about something like this for a final color scheme. I'm going to be working on ship upgrades soon, so I need to decide on color and such as early as I can, to prevent myself from having to redo large sections of the ship as it scales up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cicadas! posted:

Hey, since items can have scripting now and status effects are like techs, does that mean we can have wacky poo poo like instruments that provides while being played, or a gun with bullets that make people drive a jeep?

More or less, but it's still spotty what you can tinker with. Like for instance, apparently guns have scripts but that API doesn't have too much functionality right now so you're really limited what you can do there. (I know this because I asked if it'd be easy to make a consumable item like an "ammo box" that would temporarily give you a buff that changed what projectile your weapon fired, so perhaps it'd fire grenades for a while, maybe even change/remove the energy limit while you're using the alt-ammo - but apparently right now that would be pretty hard/impossible to do)

I hope they don't stop opening up the systems, it's always really awesome when they let us into one that was closed off (status effects, GUI).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Babe Magnet posted:

Possibly. I haven't messed around with buffs a lot, but they did make a big fuss about the status system being open to modification, so I assume so, yeah.

Thinking about something like this for a final color scheme. I'm going to be working on ship upgrades soon, so I need to decide on color and such as early as I can, to prevent myself from having to redo large sections of the ship as it scales up.

Have you considered "awful & tacky but historically accurate primary colored painting" style? :haw:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

Have you considered "awful & tacky but historically accurate primary colored painting" style? :haw:

The foot is supposed to be missing. It represents breaking it off in the rear end of his enemies.

Also, that horse looks so freaked out at being trapped in a box.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

XboxPants posted:

I'm going for more of a "romanticized/pop-culture" style of Romans/Greek, but yeah I considered hideous primary colors for a while.

I made a bunch of statues, I'll probably end up giving them awful primary colors somewhere down the line, maybe as part of the upgrade path from broken relics > restored art

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Friendly reminder that Dwarf Fortress is updating faster than this.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Rrussom posted:

Friendly reminder that Dwarf Fortress is updating faster than this.

Uhhhhh DF doesn't update every night? Checkmate :smuggo:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I dont remember there being a stable update happening last night or the night before....

Check Mate Theists.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

toady kinda updates all the time and there's no actual end goal, so saying 'dwarf fortress updates faster than _____' is like saying that the sun rises or that paying 10 bucks doesn't make you any better than any random shithead on the internet. it's kinda pointless to do because it's obvious

Soral
May 30, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

Second edit, just to beat Rrussom to the punch: Grim Creap'ed again.

you're garbage

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Soral posted:

you're garbage

He's better than XboxPants.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You're all garbage, me especially

Treasure of China
May 12, 2001
You know, I'm a pretty patient guy and even I'm starting to get pretty pissed off I blew $15 on this shitheap.

But alpacas lol! Zany as the dickens I tell you what.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Rrussom posted:

He's better than XboxPants.

this kid gets it. creapy still sucks tho

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
5 years and still nothing to show for it. Go figure.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
12 years and counting.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
In the death throes of the universe as we drift in the wake of our burnt out sun, we few survivors still utter the immortal words..."Chucklefish where's our game"

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Any mods that work with the Winter Update that make mining less terrible?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I really doubt there will be any mods until stable hits in January.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Archeologists just found evidence in Egypt that Ancient Egyptians were waiting for the release of Starbound as well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Deciding on colour isn't the most important thing though?
If you're using photoshop you can recolour the entire ship in less than a minute with a non-contiguous bucket tool.

Just make a palette you like, make a copy of the ship, and recolour away.
You can even have certain details on a separate layers in Starbound if you want to, that's how I handle stuff like overlays.
( And turrets / decals / cockpits in my giant fuckoff ship. It has like 11 layers and is going to be an utter pain to port. )

e: And a heads up if you're messing with ship upgrades, the game _WILL_ crash if you try to make a ship with more or less than the 8(?) tiers a stock ship comes with, from earlier testing.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 23, 2014

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

TheSpookyDanger posted:

this kid gets it. creapy still sucks tho

As long as im better than Xboxpants i can die a happy man. Granted, thats setting the bar very low. But someones gotta jump the hurdle, so better to go low than to fail trying right?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Man Whore posted:

I really doubt there will be any mods until stable hits in January.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

You guys are wrong then becuase there are already several available for the unstable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grats to them for putting in extra work on something that's going to be loving broken 20 times over before something stable happens

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

a lot less than 20. i havnt seen a second unstable patch, and the stable is supposed to be pushed in January 2017, so i doubt there will be any significant changes anytime soon.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

SubNat posted:

Deciding on colour isn't the most important thing though?
If you're using photoshop you can recolour the entire ship in less than a minute with a non-contiguous bucket tool.

Just make a palette you like, make a copy of the ship, and recolour away.
You can even have certain details on a separate layers in Starbound if you want to, that's how I handle stuff like overlays.
( And turrets / decals / cockpits in my giant fuckoff ship. It has like 11 layers and is going to be an utter pain to port. )

e: And a heads up if you're messing with ship upgrades, the game _WILL_ crash if you try to make a ship with more or less than the 8(?) tiers a stock ship comes with, from earlier testing.

Ctrl+U is god's gift to indecisive colorists.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Rrussom posted:

Grim Creap'd again

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

grimcreaper posted:

and the stable is supposed to be pushed in January 2017, so i doubt there will be any significant changes anytime soon.
lol

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Whens the stable release of grimcreaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Whens the stable release of grimcreaper

Stable release of GrimCreaper was September 29th, 1985. Launched in Sierra Vista, Az, after 9 months of extensive testing. Tests showed remarkably non-remarkable.

• Locked thread