Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yaws posted:

Is Thief worth a watch?

Both Thief and The Gambler are on Netflix, so watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Yaws posted:

Is Thief worth a watch?

Yes although the pacing might feel off compared to anything that's come out in the past 15 years.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

origami posted:

Yes although the pacing might feel off compared to anything that's come out in the past 15 years.

I don't mind movies that have a slow burn. I enjoyed the hell out of Drive and OGF for example.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Yaws posted:

I don't mind movies that have a slow burn. I enjoyed the hell out of Drive and OGF for example.

Def give it a whirl then

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

a foolish pianist posted:

Upstream Color seems really divisive. It's either an incredibly intense emotional experience that will stick with you for the rest of your life, or it's boring and confusing. I don't think the two sides will ever be capable of understanding each other.
I learned the hard way with Prometheus that your expectations coming into a movie can completely alter your experience. I didn't have enough patience to sit through Upstream Color tonight but I might try again some other time. The first part of UC was completely unlike what I expected so it threw me off a bit. Plus I was also not in the mood for her digging around her leg with a knife; that seemed a bit excessively cruel.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Pander posted:

Yippie Ki Yay Mister Falcon!

I loved how It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia used this in "The Gang Gets Held Hostage". That episode is fantastic, everybody go watch it.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Die Hard and Groundhog Day would each instantly become way worse if their holiday settings were swapped. Groundhog Day is a better movie for being set on Groundhog Day. Die Hard is a much better movie for the fact that it takes place specifically around Christmas.

It helps us feel out-of-it, like John McClane is, because here are all the traditional trappings of Christmas -- the travel, the office party, the gifts and reunions and decorations everywhere. But John, who's used to a New York winter, has the sun in his eyes the whole time. Then when things get rolling, there's an unconscious tension from the fact that all this action, death and mayhem is taking place at the happiest time of year. You know what's a good way to enhance that tension, like the same way you might watch a horror movie in the dark? Watching it at Christmas.

Die Hard 2 tries to feel equally identifiable to modern Americans at the holidays, which is why it feels like a retread. It asked the question, "We've seen what it was like when this guy fought with his wife at her crappy office party. Now, what would it be like... if he was stuck at the airport all night?"

I watched Home Alone 2 this year, and it was precious time I could have spent watching Die Hard again.

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 22, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Actually the 5th is the only one that was originally envisioned as a Die Hard movie.

Really? Maclane's son being a super secret spy undercover in russia seemed completely out there as a plot device. That's what made me think it was a different movie and they just shoehorned Bruce Willis in during a rewrite.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

david_a posted:

I learned the hard way with Prometheus that your expectations coming into a movie can completely alter your experience.

Prometheus is another great Christmas film.

e: On the subject of Die Hard films, the script that became Vengeance was originally being pushed around as a possible Lethal Weapon 3. The original Die Hard 3 script was set on a boat but was scrapped after Under Siege came out and it seemed too similar. That script was eventually recycled into Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 22, 2014

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Party Boat posted:

Prometheus is another great Christmas film.

This would make for a great thread title.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

Drive is basically full-on Thief worship, so yeah definitely watch Thief.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I really liked Thief, but is it just me or does it have some atrocious audio mixing? I would have no idea what anyone was saying if not for the subtitles, every conversation seems to drowned out by traffic or some other background noise.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Cantaloupe posted:

I really liked Thief, but is it just me or does it have some atrocious audio mixing? I would have no idea what anyone was saying if not for the subtitles, every conversation seems to drowned out by traffic or some other background noise.

Are you using the built in tv speakers? I had the same experience until I invested in a cheap(ish, by home theater standards, anyway) 5.1 sound bar setup; now movies where the sound used to drive me up the wall are much more enjoyable. No more subtitles, no more turning it way up to hear the dialogue, only to have a musical sting blow out my eardrums.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

mysterious frankie posted:

Are you using the built in tv speakers? I had the same experience until I invested in a cheap(ish, by home theater standards, anyway) 5.1 sound bar setup; now movies where the sound used to drive me up the wall are much more enjoyable. No more subtitles, no more turning it way up to hear the dialogue, only to have a musical sting blow out my eardrums.

Yeah, I'm using the built-in system. It's probably a good idea to invest in a speaker, I have this problem often enough when watching older movies.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, I'm using the built-in system. It's probably a good idea to invest in a speaker, I have this problem often enough when watching older movies.

This is the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDIK908/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 enthusiasts will be able to tell you why It's not the best sound system- or soundbar, for that matter- but it wasn't crazy expensive and works much better than anything else I've ever owned.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Party Boat posted:

e: On the subject of Die Hard films, the script that became Vengeance was originally being pushed around as a possible Lethal Weapon 3. The original Die Hard 3 script was set on a boat but was scrapped after Under Siege came out and it seemed too similar. That script was eventually recycled into Speed 2: Cruise Control.

I find poo poo like this fascinating, and did not know that about Speed 2.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If you like Thief after seeing it, it just hit Blu-Ray via Criterion (comes with a DVD of the remaster as well). On Blu-Ray with the right sound system, it's a loving experience.

Also, I enjoyed the documentary Dam Nation on Netflix. Interesting subject, beautiful shots.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
If anyone likes Stephen Fry there is a Stephen Fry live show on UK Netflix, which is interesting and funny. But only if you like the man.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New Bojack Horseman xmas episode. Oh yeah!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

is there anything else even vaguely similar to It's Such a Beautiful Day on Netflix?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aye Doc posted:

is there anything else even vaguely similar to It's Such a Beautiful Day on Netflix?

Mary and Max, sorta.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mary and Max, sorta.

I haven't watched it yet but it seems like its right in line with what I want, thanks!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Aye Doc posted:

There isn't anything vaguely similar to what Don Hertzfeldt does in general. He sort of made this kind of thing, at the very least he should be considered the father of modern "random poo poo". Basically watch some cyanide and happiness or something. He created a culture and now everyone is doing it in a really lovely way.

I feel sorry for the guy. I wonder what it's like being asked if you drew a pop-tarts commercial when one of your biggest hits is a 9 minute long tongue-in-cheek slander of marketing and advertisement.

The closest you can get is something made in flash. He drew each frame individually and used camera tricks for special effects. No computers used in the making of his films. The final product is reems of 35mm shots, not an electronic file folder.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 22, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
At least he kept his eye on the ball and improved dramatically as a storyteller. Could've ended up as a Buckleyesque washout.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

At least he kept his eye on the ball and improved dramatically as a storyteller. Could've ended up as a Buckleyesque washout.

I read in an interview somewhere that the imitation actually motivated him even more. In a good or bad way I cannot recall. But I'm willing to bet he didn't want his style to be known as that which pushed pop-tarts, so he stepped up his game.

Just a shame poo poo like asdf movie has to exist. Every other "IM RANDOM HAHA FUNNY" thing I've seen just tries too hard or does it wrong in some way. With Don it's almost as though that's what he was born to do. It's a radical difference. Everything else is so god drat forced.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 22, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Hertzfeldt is a pretty normal guy that just has a weird sense of humor/imagination. Like it's weird to me when people see that sort of thing and say "man he must be on some serious drugs" when I'm pretty sure that would get in the way of him doing stuff like this. I mean, all of his stuff is pretty much done by him, by hand with no computer assistance. Hell, from what I heard at screenings, he uses and old timey gigantic animation camera. He's a strange guy with a strange imagination but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with him.

Edit: this is in response to a comment that has now been edited out.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Sorry about that, It didn't come out right.
The whole bill trilogy has a bunch of mental illness themes about it. I wouldn't be surprised if he suffers from it or at the very least he has someone close to him who does. Not to mention a bi-polar upswing is like a meth-high for some people. Also, not saying he does a load of drugs (I think he's a straight edger myself) but drugs wouldn't gently caress with this more than it would anything else.

I think he just drinks a shitload of coffee and has a handle on his own faculties so much so he's able to use his "differences" to his advantage.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 23, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

In response to this just look for animated shorts. They won't be the same but there's alot of serious, trippy, weird depressing shorts out there. Look at what plays on various festivals and then see what's there for free online. Here are some examples of stuff I've seen that have stuck with me and I've posted alot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3aQcDfnWws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exvJEilKgEg
https://vimeo.com/46233381

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm gonna have to say just get "The Animation Show". It's on netflix rental.

Holy gently caress It's Such a Beautiful Day is amazing. I have seen all the shorts but this is awesome. Awesome in the classical sense. I did see one animation glitch though I don't remember seeing in that short.

The sequence where it describes him picking up his new medication you can see a "bill ghost". Presumably erased and corrected and left behind.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 23, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I saw Billy's balloon and later Rejected in theaters when they came out and thought they were the funniest, weirdest things I'd ever seen. Who would have known they would inspire 15 years of the unfunniest loving people in the world to make stupid random wackiness. I hate the style so much I was actually worried about going back and watching those recently, but they are still really good. Way better than any imitator.

I haven't watched It's Such a Beautiful Day yet, but his other newer stuff seems to have evolved a lot from "my anus is bleeding" anyways. Few people have been ripped off as much as that guy.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Aren't there numerous Trailer Park Boys episodes about Christmas? If getting stoned and drunk with your friends isn't how you wanna spend the holidays, something is wrong.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
If you are a fan of (wo)man vs nature conflicts and Oregon-trail era period pieces, the first half of The Trail is pretty solid.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anyone here watched Frequencies yet? I just watched the trailer and was sort of cringing at the central conceit. Should I not be so quick to write it off?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

dik-dik posted:

Anyone here watched Frequencies yet? I just watched the trailer and was sort of cringing at the central conceit. Should I not be so quick to write it off?

Aww. I was hoping this was a TV version of the movie Frequency, only this time it had lots of people talking to lots of dead dads using lots of Ham radios.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I haven't watched It's Such a Beautiful Day yet, but his other newer stuff seems to have evolved a lot from "my anus is bleeding" anyways. Few people have been ripped off as much as that guy.

I think it's amazing the guy who made Rejected could make three shorts when strung together and watched in their entirety make me more emotional than I've been in the past 5 years.

I like cyanide and happiness but I realize that it's just complete garbage to watch inbetween Don's releases.

I also have a sense of pride in the fact that "I was there". All that does is make me even more of an old-hipster with a bad jaded attitude.

Sammus posted:

Aren't there numerous Trailer Park Boys episodes about Christmas? If getting stoned and drunk with your friends isn't how you wanna spend the holidays, something is wrong.

Drunk and on drugs happy time it is. Otherwise it's dreary as gently caress.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

dik-dik posted:

Seconding as I was curious but not enough to sit down and watch it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In Fear is super entertaining and worth a watch.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Seconding as I was curious but not enough to sit down and watch it.

Honestly I'd give it a pass. I thought it was really dull and the premise was dumb.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 23, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

drat, It's Such A Beautiful Day. drat.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

dik-dik posted:

Awful. Couldn't decide what kind of movie it wanted to be. Main message was muddled by a terrible story and a nonsensical plot that gets even more nonsensical half way in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

red19fire posted:

Really? Maclane's son being a super secret spy undercover in russia seemed completely out there as a plot device. That's what made me think it was a different movie and they just shoehorned Bruce Willis in during a rewrite.

I was going off memory, but I also found this on Wikipedia (for what that's worth):

quote:

A Good Day to Die Hard was the first film in the series to come from an original screenplay, and not be based upon any prior works. The original screenplay was penned by Skip Woods.

It's also the only one I haven't seen but I've heard it's poo poo.

• Locked thread