Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does anyone know where I can find the new rules for the big mek stompa? Y'know, the one with the...

*sighs longingly*

... lifta droppa revision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

So there's like 3 things in the book that can actually use the marker light seeker ability? And the fact it ignores LoS is useless because Markerlights don't ignore LoS?
Anything with a seeker missile can use it. A Broadside,battlesuit or any of the vehicles that carry one. I think we're misreading each other--one unit creates marker counters, then ANY unit spends them to get something for ITSELF. I don't recall Seekers ignoring LoS, but if they do it works the same as a broadside with Smart Missiles--you can fire the weapon that doesn't need LoS at the target, but not any other weapon.

So like, a Pathfinder unit puts a marker on a Rhino as part of its shooting attack. Now, a Broadside is within seeker range and has a missile. She can spend that marker counter to fire that missile--but not one of the missiles on the devilfish the Pathfinders arrived in. If there's more than one counter, a unit that has more than one missile can spend to fire multiple missies, or multiple units can spend to fire their own missiles.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Ignite Memories posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the new rules for the big mek stompa? Y'know, the one with the...

*sighs longingly*

... lifta droppa revision?

According to the FW page for the model you want Apocalypse ($69.99USD iBook, $74.99USB hardcover).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

Warhammer 40k: Go play X-Wing instead

ok

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

Anything with a seeker missile can use it. A Broadside,battlesuit or any of the vehicles that carry one. I think we're misreading each other--one unit creates marker counters, then ANY unit spends them to get something for ITSELF. I don't recall Seekers ignoring LoS, but if they do it works the same as a broadside with Smart Missiles--you can fire the weapon that doesn't need LoS at the target, but not any other weapon.

So like, a Pathfinder unit puts a marker on a Rhino as part of its shooting attack. Now, a Broadside is within seeker range and has a missile. She can spend that marker counter to fire that missile--but not one of the missiles on the devilfish the Pathfinders arrived in. If there's more than one counter, a unit that has more than one missile can spend to fire multiple missies, or multiple units can spend to fire their own missiles.

Ah, okay - so say I have Markers on a Rhino. If I have Seekers on a Hammerhead, I can use those Seekers by spending the tokens (and they'll be at BS5, Ignore Cover, etc)?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Ah, okay - so say I have Markers on a Rhino. If I have Seekers on a Hammerhead, I can use those Seekers by spending the tokens (and they'll be at BS5, Ignore Cover, etc)?

Correct! You can ALSO fire the Hammerhead's guns at that rhino (but not a different target), because missiles fired that way don't count against your normal weapon firing limit!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The confusion is that in the last book, a third unit could spend a token to fire a Seeker missile from any source - the model with the Seeker didn't have to do anything.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Do any NOVA/DC/MD Goons want to get together and play some 40k tomorrow? I only have to go in to work for like 5 minutes, and my family doesn't hang out until Christmas Day, so I kinda don't have too much to do.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

spacegoat posted:

According to the FW page for the model you want Apocalypse ($69.99USD iBook, $74.99USB hardcover).

Thanks for your help! I asked a good friend of mine to borrow his book, and these rules aren't as nerfed as some folks had been saying. True, the lifta droppa does need to roll to hit now, which is really really sad, but if it does hit it automatically explodes any vehicle below 4 HP. You even get to decide where it blows up. [2d6" range from its starting location]. It's got way more fire points than it used to, so that would work out well with a squad of gitz or something.

I think i liked the old one better, but this is usable. Maybe I should dust off that stompa project...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Warhammr

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Having spent time with the 30K red books and HH book 3 , I'm getting the feeling that the editing in these is getting worse. In Book 1 and Book 2 there were just a handful of typos, copy paste errors, and rules conundrums. Most of these didn't affect your gameplay and Book 1 really stands out as one of the best edited Forgeworld books to date.

Today there are gross errors in wargear or relics that result in entirely unusable equipment. Others are game breakingly good, but if you email forgeworld they change their minds, making it entirely useless. Others are missing entirely, forcing you to look them up somewhere else.

There's a lot of cool good stuff in these bad boys, but its unacceptable that this stuff made it through play testing and QA. It further reinforces in my mind that their company has a very poor testing and QA system. Considering that they're going to be pressured to keep releasing things at this pace and for a greater or equal price point, I'm concerned that its going to get worse.

e:

Moola posted:

Warhammr 40 gay

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

Having spent time with the 30K red books and HH book 3 , I'm getting the feeling that the editing in these is getting worse. In Book 1 and Book 2 there were just a handful of typos, copy paste errors, and rules conundrums. Most of these didn't affect your gameplay and Book 1 really stands out as one of the best edited Forgeworld books to date.

Today there are gross errors in wargear or relics that result in entirely unusable equipment. Others are game breakingly good, but if you email forgeworld they change their minds, making it entirely useless. Others are missing entirely, forcing you to look them up somewhere else.

There's a lot of cool good stuff in these bad boys, but its unacceptable that this stuff made it through play testing and QA. It further reinforces in my mind that their company has a very poor testing and QA system. Considering that they're going to be pressured to keep releasing things at this pace and for a greater or equal price point, I'm concerned that its going to get worse.

e:

You want to provide me a list of the problems you see?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Book 4 is pretty okay in the editing regard, I've noticed. The biggest issue in 4 is the fact I don't think it tells you what a Super-Heavy Command Tank does, and one of the Mechanicum relics isn't usable. There are definitely a lot of obvious c/ps that sometimes don't make sense and some annoying formating (the rules for Deathshroud power scythes, for example, appear only in the glossary of the CAL book and don't seem to appear in the ICL book). The typographic errors are fairly common but never confusing. There's a few other weird things, like the fact I was told by FW that Tyrant Siege cannot fire their cyclones and their combi-bolters, which they apparently changed their minds on.

edit ps I PMed you Ghost Hand!

edit 2: I disagree that any of the relics are game-breakingly good. There is a pretty wild variance in their usefulness, but none of them seem to be egregious by FW standards.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 23, 2014

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
First try at painting something other than imperial fists. Gaurdsmen with an Alpha Legion vibe. Another hour should see it finished

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Speckled Jim posted:

First try at painting something other than imperial fists. Gaurdsmen with an Alpha Legion vibe. Another hour should see it finished

Oh wow is that the new Anarchy Miniature flexible stencil? I was thinking of getting them or is it the older stencil?

Looks great.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ghost Hand posted:

You want to provide me a list of the problems you see?

The poor wording on that wargear that is easily read as 'all dice rolls are 6's' when they have said they meant it to be 'one dice roll is a 6' is the biggest offender.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Here's the list of the things I've found:

quote:

HHB4: Cortica Primus must be given to an Independent Character with the Cybertheurgy rule in order to work. There are no Independent Characters with Cybertheurgy.

HHB4: Combat Augment Array has inconsistent use of singular/plural throughout the rule- does the relic allow you to get all 6's, a single 6s on a single test, or only one 6 ever? Depending on how it's actually intended it ranges from broken, to marginally useful, to mostly useless.

Red Book: The rules for command tanks in vehicle squadrons, as in HHB1, are missing. Instead there's a copy paste error from the Stormblade entry. An FAQ updated the section for super heavy command tanks by removing the stormblade error, but you're still forced to crack open HHB1 to read the squadron rules.

Red Book: A number of equipment for Castellax, which have rules in the red book, are missing. Again this requires you to have HHB2 or HHB3. These are- mauler bolt cannon, darkfire cannon, reactor blast, paragon of metal, power blades, and shock chargers.

Red Book: The special rules for Agile, Chaff Launchers, and Sunder are missing. I have no idea where Agile or Chaff Launchers live, but Sunder is buried somewhere in HHB1. Again, the point of the red book is to "contain the complete profiles, special rules, and wargear, compiled and updated". IE: be a standalone. Yet a few of the rules have still been omitted due to editing.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I disagree that any of the relics are game-breakingly good. There is a pretty wild variance in their usefulness, but none of them seem to be egregious by FW standards.

A combat augment array on a Mortrait will result in infinite hits and infinite wounds (if you go by whats in the book and not from a FW email).

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 24, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Thanks guys - I can get all of these to the right people easily enough.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ghost Hand posted:

The auger array has been noted and will apparently be clarified soon, but a kick up the arse can't hurt!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
There was a disagreement about a rule at my last game night. A dimachaeron, which has rampage, assaulted a unit with two models in it. The hammer of wrath killed one of those two models. Would the dimachaeron get the bonus attacks from rampage?

It was outnumbered at the start of combat, but not at its initiative. So, does rampage grant the bonus attacks at the start of combat or when attacks are made? The rampage rules wording, is of course a bit vague about this.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Here's the list of the things I've found:

A combat augment array on a Mortrait will result in infinite hits and infinite wounds (if you go by whats in the book and not from a FW email).

In case you don't have access to the other books, the rule for 'Sunder' is under Mortarion's entry, and Flare/Chaff launchers are on page 90 of CAL.

None of this really disproves any of what you said because there seems to be no pattern to where or why rules will appear in certain areas. For example, the 'Chosen Warriors' rule first appears under Justaerin Terminators, but the actual rule isn't defined until a chapter later, under Rampagers.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 24, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Master Twig posted:

It was outnumbered at the start of combat, but not at its initiative. So, does rampage grant the bonus attacks at the start of combat or when attacks are made? The rampage rules wording, is of course a bit vague about this.

Unless otherwise noted, you check for the qualifications of an ability or rule when the ability or rule is applied- so, in the case of the Rampage, you check the number of models in the combat when the unit with Rampage makes its attacks. The Dimachareon would not get bonus attacks in that case, as it was not outnumbered when it got to swing.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Tagging in for another rules question.

Can vehicles move freely through ruins (taking relevant tests as needed, of course) even though this means their models are basically smashing through walls? The vehicle in question would end it's move in a position where it is not overlapping with a wall, of course.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Oh wow is that the new Anarchy Miniature flexible stencil? I was thinking of getting them or is it the older stencil?

Looks great.

Its the older stencil. I was too impatient to wait for the kickstarter. Works pretty well, but theres a lot of wasted space on the A4 sheet. Big blocks of stupidly spaced tiny scales that could have been better spent.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Von Humboldt posted:

Tagging in for another rules question.

Can vehicles move freely through ruins (taking relevant tests as needed, of course) even though this means their models are basically smashing through walls? The vehicle in question would end it's move in a position where it is not overlapping with a wall, of course.

This depends completely on you and your opponent's agreed understanding of the terrain. If a giant solid-looking part of a building terrain appears clearly "impassable" it can be discussed either prior to or during the game. This part of the rules is totally dependent on the players understanding of how their map/terrain works.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Just put together a Night Scythe, what a pleasure that was. It had the typical Necron model problems of sprue connections in weird spots to trim and spindly bits but I'd build a million of these before doing another Ghost Ark. Hardly any mold lines at all too, which was just great.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

Really? Do you know people at Forge World or something?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

He's their #1 customer and therefore has a private phone line directly to their offices.

Also that whole popular 40k podcast/community thing.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I hear he went to Nottingham.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I never realized that the Scion and the Dark Eldar coven supplements are the only printed codexes that are permanently out of stock on the GW store. Which makes me wonder why are they still listed. :raise:

In other news, seems like there's a cheaper alternative to the Victoria Studios Taurox wheel set on the way via Zinge Industries.
https://www.facebook.com/Zinge.co.uk/photos/a.325949077461379.75636.126107727445516/811952205527728/?type=1
Really interested in seeing how the final product will look for this one.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 24, 2014

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Hey, speaking of Forge World rules questions, a friend of mine bought IA13 a while back and we've noted what appear to be two slightly important discrepencies-

-The Colossus Siege Mortar is listed as S8 instead of S6 as it was in IA1:2E and the 5th ed Guard book (:stare:) and has Pinning.

-The Laser Destroyer mounted on the Rapier is once again AP1, in contradiction to the earlier FAQ for IA1:2E (Which said to treat the Laser Destroyer as AP2 "Wherever it appears").

I've already shot them an email, but does anyone know if these two issues have already been addressed?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Speckled Jim posted:

Its the older stencil. I was too impatient to wait for the kickstarter. Works pretty well, but theres a lot of wasted space on the A4 sheet. Big blocks of stupidly spaced tiny scales that could have been better spent.

Oh okay yeah, I'm waiting for those flexible stencils. It still looks great btw. I wish they'd be price well enough to justify just cutting them to the sizes you needed or they'd make some different shapes like Circles and Triangles.

Do you have any more stencils or a place you recommend. I'm specifically looking for flame stencils.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Von Humboldt posted:

Unless you and your opponent have agreed that a particular terrain piece is impassible (as opposed to a ruin), then yes, this is legal. You're even allowed to drive up into the upper floors now, if you want- GW has removed most of the "it can be either one" ambiguities and special unit type exceptions for those sorts of things, which I am thankful for.

panascope posted:

Just put together a Night Scythe, what a pleasure that was. It had the typical Necron model problems of sprue connections in weird spots to trim and spindly bits but I'd build a million of these before doing another Ghost Ark. Hardly any mold lines at all too, which was just great.

The Night/Doom Scythe is a wonderful kit. Can swap between them without needing magnetization, goes together like a charm, extremely intuitive directions, the whole shebang. If you're careful, you can put practically the whole thing together without glue and it actually holds better than you might expect, although I wouldn't recommend doing that for long.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hey, speaking of Forge World rules questions, a friend of mine bought IA13 a while back and we've noted what appear to be two slightly important discrepencies-

-The Colossus Siege Mortar is listed as S8 instead of S6 as it was in IA1:2E and the 5th ed Guard book (:stare:) and has Pinning.

-The Laser Destroyer mounted on the Rapier is once again AP1, in contradiction to the earlier FAQ for IA1:2E (Which said to treat the Laser Destroyer as AP2 "Wherever it appears").

I've already shot them an email, but does anyone know if these two issues have already been addressed?

I'm actually rather surprised about the Rapier, as it had been AP1 all of the times I remember seeing it- that was basically the advantage of it over double-Lascannons on a lot of the tanks. If it was AP2, there would be no real reason to ever mount it over the twinned Las sponson- not that Forge World has ever let that stop them before, but...

The Colossus thing has been noted by a lot of people; Pinning is obviously intentional, since they fixed GW's little boo-boo in that respect, but the boost to S8 is... interesting. I would probably default to assuming that it was a misprint, but it's within the realm of possibility they would rule otherwise.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

AbusePuppy posted:

Unless you and your opponent have agreed that a particular terrain piece is impassible (as opposed to a ruin), then yes, this is legal. You're even allowed to drive up into the upper floors now, if you want- GW has removed most of the "it can be either one" ambiguities and special unit type exceptions for those sorts of things, which I am thankful for.

The Night/Doom Scythe is a wonderful kit. Can swap between them without needing magnetization, goes together like a charm, extremely intuitive directions, the whole shebang. If you're careful, you can put practically the whole thing together without glue and it actually holds better than you might expect, although I wouldn't recommend doing that for long.

I'm actually rather surprised about the Rapier, as it had been AP1 all of the times I remember seeing it- that was basically the advantage of it over double-Lascannons on a lot of the tanks. If it was AP2, there would be no real reason to ever mount it over the twinned Las sponson- not that Forge World has ever let that stop them before, but...

The Colossus thing has been noted by a lot of people; Pinning is obviously intentional, since they fixed GW's little boo-boo in that respect, but the boost to S8 is... interesting. I would probably default to assuming that it was a misprint, but it's within the realm of possibility they would rule otherwise.

Wait, where can Laser Destroyers be taken as sponson weapons? The only place I've seen them are on Rapier Weapon Batteries (And the Heavy Laser Destroyer on the Destroyer Tank Hunter). There are quite a few reasons to take them over standard lascannons where they're availible, not the least of which is that they're both Twin-Linked and Ordnance, which makes them that much more likely to hit and pen, for a cost that isn't significantly greater than that of similar options (105 points for a 3-Lascannon HWS over 120 for a 3-Rapier battery). I mean sure, they've got a shorter range, but that doesn't come into effect too often and the greater survivability and penetrating power is well-worth the decrease in range and mild cost increase.

Here's the FAQ question and response, for the record-

Imperial Armor 1, 2nd Edition FAQ posted:

5) Laser destroyers seem to go back and forth between AP 2 and AP 1 depending on the book/pdf. Which is correct?
- The profile for a Laser Destroyer should be as follows wherever it appears:
pre:
Weapon                  Range   Str AP Type
Laser Destroyer Array     36"     9  2   Ordnance 1, Twin-linked

Edit: I'd be very surprised if the Colossus got buffed to S8, since it's always been S6 and the buff would make it death incarnate to most skimmers. I mean, as a Guard player I'd be thrilled, but only if Imperial Colossus got buffed to match, otherwise it's just dumb.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 24, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure you're always suppose to use the most latest Forgeworld specs for things and not previous versions. I thought at one point they said things were retroactive?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure you're always suppose to use the most latest Forgeworld specs for things and not previous versions. I thought at one point they said things were retroactive?

While that is true, in this case we're looking at weapon profiles that are out-of-wack with every other entry that exists/has been errata'd, and it's very likely because of it that one or both are intended to be typos.

I will say though that the "Use the most recent rules" bugs me a bit, since you run into many cases where the newest rules either have typos or flat-out nerfs with no explanations. Like, I got a Macharius Vanquisher a month ago, and I was excited to use it since it has Primary Weapon in IA1:2E. Before I can even use it in a game, turns out it was included in IA: Apocalypse without Primary Weapon. It's the same price with the same options, but now it's actually worse at killing tanks than many singular models at half it's points cost, which is incredibly frustrating since I love the model and want to be able to justify its use in-game (The Destroyer Tank Hunter is in the same boat.)

Really though, dealing with Forge World wouldn't be half as frustrating if they were loving capable of keeping their own rules straight from book to book. Every book contains these types of errors, and it's impossible to tell if they are actual changes or another goddamn typo. I mean gently caress, the books cost a poo poo-ton and the models even more, and they are doing every customer a tremendous disservice by not proofreading their books or issuing corrections promptly after their discovery. After all this time there's really no excuse, and speaking as someone who plays in a group that makes pretty extensive use of FW rules and models (Which are mainly legit, I should add) it frustrates the hell out of me.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hollismason posted:

Do you have any more stencils or a place you recommend. I'm specifically looking for flame stencils.

Make your own from transparent sheets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y6TlMIYXWw

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost Hand posted:

Nah, thank you. HH stuff has been outstanding and I'm not the only guy that wants it to keep its quality high as it moves forward. Outside the cost and some editing problems its by far the coolest thing in warhammer. It's everything I ever wanted out of this game.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wait, where can Laser Destroyers be taken as sponson weapons?

Edit: I'd be very surprised if the Colossus got buffed to S8, since it's always been S6 and the buff would make it death incarnate to most skimmers. I mean, as a Guard player I'd be thrilled, but only if Imperial Colossus got buffed to match, otherwise it's just dumb.

Fellblades and their cousins can swap their quad lascanons for laser destroyers. Vindicators can also swap their main guns out for them too. In 6th edition they were the bees knees if you wanted to blow something up. These days its much harder to blow up tanks, so the quad lascanons are better choices in many situations.

As for the colossus, I hope S8 is for real. Bombards (different from a colossus, but often modeled the same) are some of my favorite tanks and it would be great to see them hit the table more often. It is, after all, supposed to be the largest piece of conventional artillery used by the Imperial Army.

e: Laser Destroyers have always been AP1 in the heresy. They had slightly different rules when they were ported into 40k. I always assumed it was one of those 'better during the heresy' things like contemptors and predator tanks.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This just popped up in my e-mail:

I guess there was a jigsaw thing sent out over the last couple of days? It's pretty obviously Polux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Oh okay yeah, I'm waiting for those flexible stencils. It still looks great btw. I wish they'd be price well enough to justify just cutting them to the sizes you needed or they'd make some different shapes like Circles and Triangles.

I havnt got a clue about stencils to be honest. Just saw a link to the anarchy kickstarter in the miniature painting thread and followed it back to those ones. Id say the flexible ones would be an improvement, if they can mould around all those rivets on IG vehicles. I think i got lucky with my results because those rivets held the stencil off in quite a few places.

• Locked thread