Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sanbondo put up a page for the FMW3 OST. This is worth a double post.

As always, three discs. One has IN, the second SA, and the last has the miscellaneous stuff along with four extra tracks. As always there are two preview tracks and two arranges; this time around they arranged Accel Fox and the Romantic Flavor of Westernization.

Much more importantly, though, is the higher quality! If you got the FMW2 OST you probably noticed that Wriggle's theme got murdered by whatever compression FMW3 had. Just listening to the previews I can already tell that Yuyuko's player theme was similarly hurt, and if it's anything like the FMW2 OST they'll also have extended/rearranged portions of every song. Flandre's player theme definitely got a huge bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:swoon: Why can't it be out now.

Edit:I already want it just for the new Smoldering Ash

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 20, 2014

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

That game is just begging for some surf music arranges.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I liked Ringetsumon's work, but that was mostly because he did stories about the Taoist crew.

Good artist.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Edit:I already want it just for the new Smoldering Ash

The preview of Invasion of the Bewitching Spirits already has the new bit in it, so what was already the best map theme in the game is only going to get better. :allears:

I'm kind of hopeful they'll ditch Dream Balancer's full opening too, because I like the title theme segue-in much more.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

This is sprite artists for the game sexualising zun's designs and getting cheap thrills off of bouncing breasts, like most of the community.

but not all!

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Devour or Fire posted:

Goodnight sweet prince...
Comparing the "Touhou" and the "Kancolle" sections at Comiket, both on Day 2, show them to be roughly the same size. Which means that the remainder is likely being made up in "Male-oriented works" on Day 3. 2 guesses what that means, and the first one doesn't count.

Really, pretty much any company that managed to tap into whatever made Touhou popular was going to hit it big, because they would have the capital to merchandise and advertise like crazy. They just had to take a similarly hands-off approach to fanworks and they'd have the grassroots support on lockdown.

However, the one restriction Kadokawa/DMM has is no fangames, likely out of fear it would take attention away from their own game and any future games. So there's no worry about, say, Sanbondo delaying FMW4 for some Kancolle-flavored game.

I can't remember this subject has been broached in the thread before but I figure it's news to someone.

Also, bkub released a Touhou book at the last Comiket, and he might even release one at this coming one, provided he's attending.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

leather fedora posted:

Comparing the "Touhou" and the "Kancolle" sections at Comiket, both on Day 2, show them to be roughly the same size. Which means that the remainder is likely being made up in "Male-oriented works" on Day 3. 2 guesses what that means, and the first one doesn't count.
That's funny. I was going to suggest that, but I figured I should give them the benefit of the doubt. Not warranted, apparently!

leather fedora posted:

Really, pretty much any company that managed to tap into whatever made Touhou popular was going to hit it big, because they would have the capital to merchandise and advertise like crazy. They just had to take a similarly hands-off approach to fanworks and they'd have the grassroots support on lockdown.

However, the one restriction Kadokawa/DMM has is no fangames, likely out of fear it would take attention away from their own game and any future games. So there's no worry about, say, Sanbondo delaying FMW4 for some Kancolle-flavored game.
Kantai Collection might be pure evil, but you have to appreciate the publisher's gumption. My understanding is that this wasn't even their original goal. They had a surprise hit on their hands, and managed to capitalize on it in the most perfect way possible.

Going by the response in this thread, it sounds like there's been some loss in worthwhile artists even with the restriction on fangames. Which is a shame, I guess.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
FYI, in the organizers' suggestion column for Comiket 86, the organizer responsible for Kancolle specifically gave this advice: the Kancolle fanbase shares one feature (if to a lesser degree) with Touhou, in that there are a relatively high number of teenager and female fans. Therefore they suggested circles whose publications are of a more not-safe-for-minors nature to apply for the "Male-oriented" genre, making the Kancolle section proper a safer space for these fans.

I also took a look at their advices for Touhou. They mentioned the significant presence of teenager and female fans, but didn't say anything like that. I guess it has been a longstanding tradition that the Touhou genre is for everything except cosplay circles.

In actuality, in order to sign up an account to play Kancolle, you have to agree with an EULA stating that you are 18 years or older. Apparently most Japanese players never looked at the EULA. Once Kadokawa started putting their commercial machine behind Kancolle, they would of course not fret from marketing to teenagers. I mean, they once put a Kancolle bookmark in Vol. 1 of Forbidden Scrollery.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Regarding the earlier worry about Bkub abandoning Touhou: If this tweet is anything to go by, there's going to be a new Charm volume soon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sanbondo was talking about putting up a video along with the OST. I was hoping against hope it would be FMW Gaiden or something, but instead they put up the entire OST with character commentary. Quality's worse than the actual OST of course, but if you want to hear the songs now here's your chance.

Also featuring Mystia and the Prismrivers in santa hats you can barely see.

EDIT: Oh wait it's just longer samples. Thanks for getting my hopes up Ryza. <:mad:>

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 22, 2014

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
So it looks like 14.5 is a tasofro game.

http://www.tasofro.net/touhou145/index.html

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Rough gist of the story: Urban legends start circulating in the human village (dog with a human's face, old lady selling feet), but Reimu & co. don't afraid of anything. Instead, they use the continually shifting stories to their advantage, treating them as toys to come out of scrapes without a scratch. In this way, no one or nothing would get hurt.

Until one night...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Another fighter then? Awesome! :neckbeard: Any mention of characters yet?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CommissarMega posted:

Another fighter then? Awesome! :neckbeard: Any mention of characters yet?

The story Leatherfedora translated is the only text on the page other than the release information and system requirements. What you see is what we have.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
According to Japanese twitter, a live stream has confirmed that ULiL will be a sequel to HM, not an expansion pack.

I wonder if ZUN will again come up with innovative storylines similar to "Remilia plays the armchair detective" in order to fit all the HM characters into the new game.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Here's hoping development won't be as horribly rushed as HM's then.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

cuc posted:

According to Japanese twitter, a live stream has confirmed that ULiL will be a sequel to HM, not an expansion pack.

I wonder if ZUN will again come up with innovative storylines similar to "Remilia plays the armchair detective" in order to fit all the HM characters into the new game.

Ichirin and Futo both had no real storyline in HM either, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Man, that's the third fighter between two main games in a row now.

I guess it would be a waste to scrap the engine and sprites after just one game, but didn't Hopeless Masquerade do poorly? I liked it more than most, but I don't know the first thing about fighting games and from what I saw reactions to it where overwhelmingly negative, especially compared Hisoutensoku. Of course that was when it was a rushed, half-finished game, but I haven't really heard how the finished version stands up to the fighters now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's still really shallow and not very good. Hopefully they can not gently caress up this time and also release a working game.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I preferred it's art style, but that's it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do the tengus walk with that funky footwear

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah so

that sure is HM again. No popularity this time at least?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

amuayse posted:

They fly.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah so

The portraits in the corners look much less awful then in HM.

amuayse posted:

Very carefully.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I enjoy games where you can drop pianos on people.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Elliotw2 posted:

They fly.

Poor Momiji

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

amuayse posted:

Poor Momiji

She has wings too, it's alright.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Elliotw2 posted:

She has wings too, it's alright.

Oh wait you're right

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nages posted:

The portraits in the corners look much less awful then in HM.

They're done by Moe Harukawa, the artist for Forbidden Scrollery.

I wonder if Kosuzu will play a role in the game or if ZUN just had her do the portraits because he likes her art style that much and/or because the portraits in HM sucked that much.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

amuayse posted:

Oh wait you're right

Took me a while to realise that's Reimu's body and not her shoulder.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah so

Those orbs underneath the timer look like they could be some kind of popularity.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm guessing that since everyone hated HM they're reusing the sprites and nothing else. Think IaMP -> SWR instead of SWR -> Soku.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ikaragu posted:

Those orbs underneath the timer look like they could be some kind of popularity.

I'd assume that's just the tie breaker indicator, like in KOF XI, rather than a dumb mechanic everyone hates and limits gameplay.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Even if it's just HM we still get more animal friends, so it's fine.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Video for the games being released this comiket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fF6tqff1os

Only 6 fangames this time. rip toohoo.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G45DEP4-1QI

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Even if it's just HM we still get more animal friends, so it's fine.

Oh man ignore everything I said, I'm super excited now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is ZUN gonna get around to explaining the animals or did he just want a mousey Byakuren

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

WarpedNaba posted:

Is ZUN gonna get around to explaining the animals or did he just want a mousey Byakuren

Byakuren is friends with Nazrin.

Nazrin is a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

There's a big post about this somewhere but basically there's a Buddhist legend about a mouse I think.