Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It would feel fairer to me if it was something the gnome could do and the player could prevent: maybe the gnome has a minor action that lets him nick the shadow (if he's adjacent / makes a roll / etc) and whenever he takes damage, he drops it and the assassin can go get it back.

Fakeedit: and then the shadow, having spent some time detached from the assassin, picks up a the ability to detach and reattach itself on command and becomes his sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Come to think of it, something like a magic mirror that simply makes a copy would be a great feywild-ish story hook as well. That way I can let the gnome run around with the shadow for as long as I want, and they can deal with him however they want. And it ties in really well with some other things I have in mind so those won't be arbitrary isolated incidents. Hmm.

... next question: it's dangerous to simply forage for food in the Feywild, doubly so for outsiders. Things might be unpalatable, poisonous, hallucinogenic or magic. Are there any existing items or consumables that could be beneficial or detrimental randomly in small ways? I was hoping there'd be a Rod of Wonder or something I could crib some entries from but that didn't make the cut between editions. I already found the Vagabond's Die but one player put that on her item wish list.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

... next question: it's dangerous to simply forage for food in the Feywild, doubly so for outsiders. Things might be unpalatable, poisonous, hallucinogenic or magic. Are there any existing items or consumables that could be beneficial or detrimental randomly in small ways? I was hoping there'd be a Rod of Wonder or something I could crib some entries from but that didn't make the cut between editions. I already found the Vagabond's Die but one player put that on her item wish list.
Maybe take a look at the Wild Magic surge table for 5e for ideas? There was a preview a while back that looks like it might have been taken down, but there seem to be quite a few news sites on a Google search that have rehosted it. There's a lot of silly random things on there. Obviously you'd need to convert the ones with mechanical effects to 4e-isms, but it probably wouldn't be too hard.

Otherwise, I think the main issue with fey food is often something along the lines of being more susceptible to fey mind magic. In most of the (admittedly few) stories I've seen, eating the food makes you want to stay in the fey realm, or forget who you are/what your quest is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

... that makes a lot more sense. Excellent idea. I even have a collection of original Irish folk tales around somewhere, there's bound to be something in there.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
My god, this thread has meandered right where I want it!

I'm running a Dark Sun game presently, and I'm about to catapult my players right into the decaying shreds of the Feywild, trapped there until they can find the artefact/antagonist which has stranded them. I'm kind of trying to work out how I'm going to handle a couple aspects of this.

First off, I kind of want to actually give them a certain freedom of exploration, with the caveat that they really want to get out soon, because time moves very differently and the local environments/fauna and locals will not be particularly friendly. I'm thinking of using a hex grid as a basis for the exploration - moving to an unexplored grid takes X time and the hex will have some kind of encounter in it, whether it's something to fight/evade, a skill challenge so that they don't lose time/supplies or even potential loot. Does this sound like a good structure for a couple of sessions?

Secondly, as far as threats of the Feywild go, does anyone have suggestions for really weird monster stat blocks or advice on building one with respect to Dark Sun statting? I'm also thinking that if the players get down to the point where they have to forage for food and end up eating Feywild stuff I want to work in some of that whole amnesia thing. What would be a good way to implement this?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Amnesia is tricky. When it comes to forgetting things the players know for a fact, like their backstories or personal plot hooks, pretty much all you can do is hand them a note saying "Joe the Barbarian has forgotten all about his search for the ancestor spirit" and hope they play along properly. But that's a huge thing to forget anyway and should be reserved for occasions where they really tuck in the feywild fruit from day 1, if you use it at all (obviously there needs to be some way for them to recover the memory).

But you can have a lot of fun having them encounter characters and situations and describe them as familiar the first time around. Things like:
- they meet someone who greets them as old friends, asks them how their search for X goes, maybe asks them if they followed his advice about it
- other way around, they meet someone who's out for revenge
- they encounter a complex riddle and find clues in their own journals, or they come to a crossroads and see a sign "danger this way" in their own handwriting
- particularly crafty: they already solved one of their quests, but didn't realize

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just bought the Rules Compendium from DnDClassics and downloaded the Quickstart guide as well, but can you really not buy any PDFs of the PHBs or even the Essentials books? Are there any digital products besides DDI for character creation?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just bought the Rules Compendium from DnDClassics and downloaded the Quickstart guide as well, but can you really not buy any PDFs of the PHBs or even the Essentials books? Are there any digital products besides DDI for character creation?
DnDClassics focuses on books that are harder to find/out of print. The core 4E books are in a weird place because they're 1) readily available for relatively cheap and 2) woefully out of date as far as errata and math-fixes go. There's really no good reason for WOTC to start selling pdfs cheaply as long as Insider exists to continuously draw in 4E player money.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 16, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So the Zeitgeist path has introduced a new kind of monster - the Goon. It rests on the spectrum between Minion and Standard. It's basically a normal monster, but with half the hit points.

I think it's a good idea, but needs more work. I'm specifically worried about damage output, which remains too high at this encounter budget. Any thoughts?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

dwarf74 posted:

So the Zeitgeist path has introduced a new kind of monster - the Goon. It rests on the spectrum between Minion and Standard. It's basically a normal monster, but with half the hit points (or not, adjust to taste).

I think it's a good idea, but needs more work. I'm specifically worried about damage output, which remains too high at this encounter budget. Any thoughts?

I've always been a fan of 2-hit monsters for that; have them die outright when hit by an Encounter or Daily power, and miss-damage takes off 1 hit.

Oh, and extra damage dice like Sneak Attack and Quarry count as an extra hit, too. This doesn't work for all Strikers (notably Avengers, Slayers, Blackguards) so, maybe just say Strikers kill them outright on any hit, including at-wills..?

But you're right, figuring out where they sit in terms of damage output is a challenge.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

So the Zeitgeist path has introduced a new kind of monster - the Goon. It rests on the spectrum between Minion and Standard. It's basically a normal monster, but with half the hit points.

I like Strike!'s two-hit monsters, which are a bit different from P.Dot's. If the first hit is enough to kill them, it obviously does, but if not, the second one does (regardless of the totals). In terms of damage output, I'd still put them in static-damage Minionland.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

I like Strike!'s two-hit monsters, which are a bit different from P.Dot's. If the first hit is enough to kill them, it obviously does, but if not, the second one does (regardless of the totals). In terms of damage output, I'd still put them in static-damage Minionland.
Yeah, I use 2-hit minions, too, and this is a step up...

I'm leaning towards 2/3 damage, just eyeballing it...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I use 2-hit minions, too, and this is a step up...

I'm leaning towards 2/3 damage, just eyeballing it...

You could also halve their damage when bloodied (or go the other way, doubling it when bloodied).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

dwarf74 posted:

They even took my name for them! Those fuckers!

homullus posted:

Thanks, although I need to credit P.Dot whose posting about 2-hit minions got me to include them in the first place.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tactically and narratively speaking, minions are total garbage, but if you want to make players care about fighting minions you need to have a way to put even more of them out there, not less. Thus you introduce things like the Mook, who when slain grants his killer an extra attack against another Mook. The Mook is worth half the XP of a minion and thus worth considering putting in your encounter.

You also have things happen to the environment when Mooks die. You hit the Mook too hard and he splattered through the floor or the wall, making a hole that changes the battlefield. So many Mooks have died that a mound forms from their dead, causing difficult terrain.

I support the Goon in theory but you're getting dangerously close to a setup where focus fire will obliterate PCs beyond hope of survival.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Tactically and narratively speaking, minions are total garbage, but if you want to make players care about fighting minions you need to have a way to put even more of them out there, not less. Thus you introduce things like the Mook, who when slain grants his killer an extra attack against another Mook. The Mook is worth half the XP of a minion and thus worth considering putting in your encounter.

You also have things happen to the environment when Mooks die. You hit the Mook too hard and he splattered through the floor or the wall, making a hole that changes the battlefield. So many Mooks have died that a mound forms from their dead, causing difficult terrain.

I support the Goon in theory but you're getting dangerously close to a setup where focus fire will obliterate PCs beyond hope of survival.

This is a big gripe I have with 4e; monsters aren't really there to make combat interesting (despite having their own entire book), you're actually supposed to just gently caress with the terrain/traps/hazards because they totally dedicated a comparable page-count to those concepts.

:iamafag:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Did they ever release non-garbage traps? (IE: Not the ones in the DMG)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just found out about Open 4e. It's... kind of a lot to go through, really. Has anyone here tried it? I know it is a work in progress, from the looks of it, but I'm not quite sure what it is trying to do.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Azran posted:

I just found out about Open 4e. It's... kind of a lot to go through, really. Has anyone here tried it? I know it is a work in progress, from the looks of it, but I'm not quite sure what it is trying to do.

I also just found out about it.

It looks like garbage.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I have never played in a game with any temporary HP-using characters. How many temporary HP could a character have in that kind of game, 1.on average and 2. with some optimization? How much does it depend on character level?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Suleman posted:

I have never played in a game with any temporary HP-using characters. How many temporary HP could a character have in that kind of game, 1.on average and 2. with some optimization? How much does it depend on character level?

I can't give you precise numbers, but the most important point is that temporary HP does not stack. Basically the worst-case scenario is, somewhere between half a hit and a hit and a half of temp HP that can be renewed pretty much whenever they feel like it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Suleman posted:

Not enough to matter, generally, especially with newer monsters which do more damage but have fewer hit points.

The main ways are Battlerager Fighter (really not worth the bother even at high-op levels, versus just taking +1 to hit); Blackguard (not a very strong character); Paladin/anyone trained in Religion - Virtue and Deliverance of Faith both allow you to spend a surge for a surge of temps as a minor which is very solid on a defender particularly, as it lets you get access to your copious surges more easily; Bard (Revitalising Incantation is a great power); the THP Barbarian (reasonably solid, especially if hybridded with Cleric); and perhaps most importantly, Artificer past 11th level - each heal is 2 surges with bonuses of THP, and the first two don't even cost a surge until after the fight.

The most optimal way of throwing a tonne of THP around is an Artificer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Not enough to matter, generally, especially with newer monsters which do more damage but have fewer hit points.

The main ways are Battlerager Fighter (really not worth the bother even at high-op levels, versus just taking +1 to hit); Blackguard (not a very strong character); Paladin/anyone trained in Religion - Virtue and Deliverance of Faith both allow you to spend a surge for a surge of temps as a minor which is very solid on a defender particularly, as it lets you get access to your copious surges more easily; Bard (Revitalising Incantation is a great power); the THP Barbarian (reasonably solid, especially if hybridded with Cleric); and perhaps most importantly, Artificer past 11th level - each heal is 2 surges with bonuses of THP, and the first two don't even cost a surge until after the fight.

The most optimal way of throwing a tonne of THP around is an Artificer.

On a build where you're making sure to stack THP and resist all, battlerager is pretty good because it's very hard for an enemy to deal significant damage to you even before you get into using in-combat surges. If your party includes a valorous bard, don't bother playing battlerager. If you do play Battlerager, invest in Constitution and Wisdom equally because then you qualify for Superior Will, the feat everyone should take if they can, and your mark will be much better.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Eh, even then you're only likely to be preventing maybe 10 damage per round, max, with the THP. BRV fiighter just isn't that hot since the errata to stop THP stacking WAAAY back in the early days, then the MM3 damage values

Resist all is useful regardless, and doesn't affect the opportunity cost of picking BRV over one of the other Fighter specialities (+1 to hit, in particular). It's worth noting that invigorating powers are still invigorating for normal Fighters (indeed, for anyone at all) if they're trained in Endurance; that's not part of the BRV speciality.

Basically, if you can get meaningful resist all you can get it anyway, and you can have something more useful than THP instead of THP.

And yeah, ValBards give out a small amount of temps per round, most likely between 3 and 10 depending on tier. Again, not a lot.

Artificers give out obscene amounts of temps in the right party. Our paragon game with the con-artificer and the Dragonborn Warden routinely resulted in the Wizard having almost as many THP as he had hit points.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Berserkers can get plenty of temps every encounter, too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Battlerager, as has been mentioned, is kinda for chumps. If you want a lightly armored fighter who's more offensive oriented while still being a defender, go Tempest (and if you multiclass into monk, you can pretend you're also a brawler!). If you want to be more defense oriented while still being a light armor defender (and not some wizard, pfffff), I've had really good experiences with Runepriest|Fighter.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
There is always the Serene Runepriest | Swarm Druid for a combination of temp hit points every time you are hit, halving damage from non burst/blasts, and the occasional resist all. It does involve jumping through some hoops and ignoring the strength based powers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Berserkers can get plenty of temps every encounter, too.

But, sadly, only AFTER they stop drawing heat.

Unless they've both got Battle Awareness, and not used it BEFORE furying.

I really like my Berserker (defender role primary), but in probably 6 levels I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've both furied and then been hit afterwards. I don't have that feat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, they don't really get stupid with the temps until you get Surge of Strength, and then start getting high-level rage dailies that still let you defend.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The stupidest stupid temps require DM co-operation. Fight one of those monsters that deals no damage with its attack but instead gives you like ongoing 200, and the ?belt? that turns ongoing you receive into temps 1/encounter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Eh, even then you're only likely to be preventing maybe 10 damage per round, max, with the THP. BRV fiighter just isn't that hot since the errata to stop THP stacking WAAAY back in the early days, then the MM3 damage values

Resist all is useful regardless, and doesn't affect the opportunity cost of picking BRV over one of the other Fighter specialities (+1 to hit, in particular). It's worth noting that invigorating powers are still invigorating for normal Fighters (indeed, for anyone at all) if they're trained in Endurance; that's not part of the BRV speciality.

Basically, if you can get meaningful resist all you can get it anyway, and you can have something more useful than THP instead of THP.

And yeah, ValBards give out a small amount of temps per round, most likely between 3 and 10 depending on tier. Again, not a lot.

Artificers give out obscene amounts of temps in the right party. Our paragon game with the con-artificer and the Dragonborn Warden routinely resulted in the Wizard having almost as many THP as he had hit points.

I am running a BRV fighter in epic right now, and throwing out AOE marks and then absorbing anywhere from 5-15 damage per resulting attack is what makes the BRV useful. The build is basically Fighter/Iron Vanguard/Marshal of Letherna with Gloves of Antipathy, a Shield of Deflection, and a Feyslaughter Craghammer. Mix in armor with resist 5 all to taste. Enemies are forced into making the least efficient use of their attacks, even if they have the typical epic-level bullshit.

You pick BRV so you're not limited to getting temps off the sometimes really underwhelming vigor powers. As part of a package it really makes a difference, alone yeah it's not very good. And absolutely do not take lighter armor on a BRV.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Except you're not absorbing 5 to 15 damage from each attack with temps. You're absorbing your temps worth from ONE attack, then the temps have gone, then the resist all you could have had anyway from the rest of the attacks unless you're getting a lot of off-turn attacks from the enemies which are hitting you instead of your allies because you're marking all of them in order to get the temps back in between... And in exchange you could have been hitting more often, for your entire career.

Really, the only thing you're getting from BRV there is a small amount of HP per round, at the cost of +1 to hit. ALL the other components you could have picked up anyway.

Temps only work once, is the main problem with them. Once they've sucked damage they're gone, unless you routinely have enough damage reduction and resist all that the hits you're taking bounce without eating your temps. But at that point, the hits your taking would be bouncing ANYWAY so the resources you put into temps are still not doing much god.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Except you're not absorbing 5 to 15 damage from each attack with temps. You're absorbing your temps worth from ONE attack, then the temps have gone, then the resist all you could have had anyway from the rest of the attacks unless you're getting a lot of off-turn attacks from the enemies which are hitting you instead of your allies because you're marking all of them in order to get the temps back in between... And in exchange you could have been hitting more often, for your entire career.

Really, the only thing you're getting from BRV there is a small amount of HP per round, at the cost of +1 to hit. ALL the other components you could have picked up anyway.

Temps only work once, is the main problem with them. Once they've sucked damage they're gone, unless you routinely have enough damage reduction and resist all that the hits you're taking bounce without eating your temps. But at that point, the hits your taking would be bouncing ANYWAY so the resources you put into temps are still not doing much god.

+1 to hit when you are usually attacking Will, making no attack at all via multi-mark minors, or relying mainly on your Wisdom bonus to opportunity attacks isn't that important. When it comes to absorbing damage, every little bit helps.

In general I agree +1 is better, but if your objective is tanking blows the temps add up. This is the case where temps matter. If you're 1v1ing something it's even better. Note that this fighter build is relying on pretty much every gold-rated utility and encounter power for fighters anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I guess we'll just have to agree to differ then. Unless you're getting every single benny to BRVing (i.e. being a dwarf and spending a bunch of feats) the temps are minimal compared to MM3 damage, and if you ARE doing that, consider what you could have got instead, basically.I'm not saying temps are bad, I'm saying you have limited resources which you could better spend on other things.

And to the best of my knowledge the Fighter only has one or two good will attacks. And they can still miss.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I guess we'll just have to agree to differ then. Unless you're getting every single benny to BRVing (i.e. being a dwarf and spending a bunch of feats) the temps are minimal compared to MM3 damage, and if you ARE doing that, consider what you could have got instead, basically.I'm not saying temps are bad, I'm saying you have limited resources which you could better spend on other things.

And to the best of my knowledge the Fighter only has one or two good will attacks. And they can still miss.

We are roughly ten weeks and 10-15 combats in and spamming Come and Get It, Warrior's Urging, Glowering Threat, and Kirre's Roar has worked so far, primarily because it sets up controllers and strikers for a really good round. If I were trying to do literally anything else with a fighter, yes, +1 is better. But most weeks I am the only defender in a group full of ranged squishies.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm looking forward to granting hundreds of temp HP with Rune of Hero's Resolve in 2 levels.

What's what Paladin? You want 200 temp HP this fight? Sure! Have a standard action, while you're at it.

Also looking forward to overhealing myself to temp HP with a Cincture of Vivacity and get that +6 damage from Rune of Mending out on turn 1.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I just downloaded Masterplan.

Holy poo poo this is rad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The paladin in my party throws out THP for the entire party on a regular basis. For most characters the amount is in the neighborhood of a single healing surge value. Not having to heal that back after the battle adds up quickly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

My Lovely Horse posted:

The paladin in my party throws out THP for the entire party on a regular basis. For most characters the amount is in the neighborhood of a single healing surge value. Not having to heal that back after the battle adds up quickly.
I like give-everyone-THP characters because it means you can throw about a level's worth more damage potential at the party without too much worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
It's my understanding that the offline monster builder isn't around anymore? Or did people keep it kicking like the character builder?