Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sylink posted:

Do the faction/station missions get better payouts or is it forever stuck on stuff like 8k to deliver some fish or 150k to fight an anacdoda?

They pretty much stay the same, you just get access to the missions that have a faction standing requirement as you increase your rep. The high tonnage hauling missions which pay around 60k need a high rep with the faction, for example. But they seem to be rare so it's not like you'll be swimming in good paying missions.

So, short story, not by much. I usually just accept a whole bunch of missions with limits of more than 3 hours, then when I have like 8-10 missions I do them all at once, usually I reduce them all to 3 or 4 hyperjumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

GazChap posted:

Seems like it's gonna be a fairly long time until I get out of the Sidewinder though - I find myself kinda tempted to start shifting these rare goods, once I work out where the nearest one is to Wolf 424/Sol.
Eranin should be relatively close if you can get up to 10 LY jump range.

Keep in mind that rare goods get more valuable the farther out you go, with about 130-150 LY being the sweet spot. That's a long haul in a Sidewinder, so make sure you don't get stuck in a minefield of empty brown dwarf star systems like the ones around Xihe.

With regular trading apparently back to normal, fetch missions should also be more reliable, since you won't have to hunt all over half the quadrant just to find some auto-fabricators.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

This sounds like it's a pass for me. I don't need an end game or even a narrative, a sandbox is fine if what I can do has an effect on the world and other things I can do. This game doesn't seem to offer that so oh well. That's too bad, I'm dying for a space trader game that is a nice middle between spreadsheets and space rangers hd.
What you do does have an effect on the small part of the world you're in, sorry you can't be the hero of the galaxy or whatever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zigmidge posted:

Thanks to those that answered my post respectfully. A nice gently caress you to the defensive nerds about their space game of choice. Basically everyone who takes any suggestion deviating from what this game is as a full on "Remake EVE" comment is a giant rear end in a top hat.

This sounds like it's a pass for me. I don't need an end game or even a narrative, a sandbox is fine if what I can do has an effect on the world and other things I can do. This game doesn't seem to offer that so oh well. That's too bad, I'm dying for a space trader game that is a nice middle between spreadsheets and space rangers hd.

This is the post of a mature person :allears:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
In space detroit, the war zone, Xena I Love You was in danger of being blown up by a space ship and I rammed the ever living gently caress out of it at 90 degrees.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Someone on the dev team is a Farscape fan :3:

I came across a funeral barge flown by... D'Argo Sun-Crichton. It made me sad :(

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Kenshin posted:

What you do does have an effect on the small part of the world you're in, sorry you can't be the hero of the galaxy or whatever.

I'm sorry we share the same atmosphere

*drops mic* ok i'm out

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Eranin should be relatively close if you can get up to 10 LY jump range.

Keep in mind that rare goods get more valuable the farther out you go, with about 130-150 LY being the sweet spot. That's a long haul in a Sidewinder, so make sure you don't get stuck in a minefield of empty brown dwarf star systems like the ones around Xihe.

With regular trading apparently back to normal, fetch missions should also be more reliable, since you won't have to hunt all over half the quadrant just to find some auto-fabricators.

I've got a C-class FSD at the moment so jump range is about 12.5ly, so I'll give that a go, cheers.

Seems kinda odd that there are no rare goods in Sol, you'd think that there'd be something rare on Earth - Scotch whisky or something.

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008

Gorson posted:

...and X:Rebirth, and Star Citizen if it ever comes out. It adds nothing.

There are a couple things I would like to see brought over from X3, namely the ability to EVA and derelict ships spread across the galaxy that could be claimed. Both of these would be easy to implement, just make a simple humanoid model with basic interface and controls exactly like the ship. I don't need a fancy scripted sequence of me getting out of my chair, opening a hatch, and hopping out.
I would be happy with a direct rip-off of Dead Space 3's EVA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B44oGCnd0Hc&t=345s

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

GazChap posted:

I'm in Wolf 424 at the moment in a moderately upgraded Sidewinder.

Having a blast just basically flying around different systems checking out USSs and occasionally having a crack at the people in them.

Flew to GL Virginis and found a USS with a fuckton of Prototype Tech floating around which I shucked to the nearest black market for just over 4,000 CR a pop. That'll do.

Seems like it's gonna be a fairly long time until I get out of the Sidewinder though - I find myself kinda tempted to start shifting these rare goods, once I work out where the nearest one is to Wolf 424/Sol.

I found a system with some resource extraction beltsin my sidewinder and was popping wanted cobras with the help of the authority for 11k-16k a pop. In an hour i had made 160k space bucks.

Any good tutorials on flying with assist of? I want to start learning so i can ball hard and shame other people who hardly ball.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think we will all find out just how much players can influence the game when the Imperial Succession Crisis gets into full swing. The Empire could change a lot depending on what group manages to come out on top, which could determine greatly how other events play out in the future.

It could be pretty grand or it could be disapointing. We'll have to see.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 23, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zigmidge posted:

lol it's funny because "has an effect on the world and other things I can do" is the exact thing I've spent most of my time doing (the other thing being fighting guys), and it feels so good to see it paying off now and I'm enjoying it so much, and even the most narrow-visioned trader is impacting the galaxy by influencing which factions benefit from what he chooses to ship.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

In space detroit, the war zone, Xena I Love You was in danger of being blown up by a space ship and I rammed the ever living gently caress out of it at 90 degrees.

Cobra's wedges are very effect at getting stuck between a Eagle's cockpit and wings. The poor thing at least died instantly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

Thanks to those that answered my post respectfully. A nice gently caress you to the defensive nerds about their space game of choice. Basically everyone who takes any suggestion deviating from what this game is as a full on "Remake EVE" comment is a giant rear end in a top hat.

You can actually effect the world around you. I for example try my very best to spread the influence of the anarchists in my chosen home system to its independent neighbours. If they one day gain enough influence, they take over the stations over there and the independent system flips to the side of the Alliance.

The only thing I'm missing to be totally happy would be the option to name systems I explore if I'm the first one there. This would also be a nice marker to see which system has already been visited: If a system has a name, someone was already there and you could skip it.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

I'm sorry we share the same atmosphere

*drops mic* ok i'm out

Wow, that's super clever. You do realize that you do in fact have an effect on the galaxy right. Currently Goons are collectively raising the influence of an independent system to start to creep into the neighboring systems. We are seeing more an more missions of our chosen faction outside of the system they originated in.

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008

Kenshin posted:

...sorry you can't be the hero of the galaxy or whatever.
Yes, but...

t-nutz fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 23, 2014

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Luccion posted:

Wow, that's super clever. You do realize that you do in fact have an effect on the galaxy right. Currently Goons are collectively raising the influence of an independent system to start to creep into the neighboring systems. We are seeing more an more missions of our chosen faction outside of the system they originated in.

BUT I WANNA BUILD SPACE STATIONS, I WANNA NAME A SYSTEM, I WANNA BE THE CHOSEN ONE, AND I WANNA DO IT ALL WHILE TRADING WITHOUT USING SPREADSHEETS OR ANY KIND OF BUSINESS SKILLS.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This may be my favorite thing about war zones

You can sell them weapons or steal their weapons. Weapon deals all over the place in space.

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008

Luccion posted:

I really hope this game is still going in 30 years so I can tell my children and even their children the story of how the Revolutionary Jotunheim Resistance came to dominate the galaxy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Luccion posted:

:ssh: It doesn't fit his narrow definition therefore the game is poo poo.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Game is loving done. It has everything I want in a space sim. Everything is there and working. Can only go up from here.

Give me a better way to cargo scoop and a few fancy graphs for my commodities then drop it on Stream and stamp the game gold.

You fucks can't be satisfries with anything nowadays. I would have had my dick stomped by Japanese men dressed as schoolgirls 5+ years ago for this game. Instead I had to heavily mod X3 into semi working single player condition to get a fix.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

I like playing space dogfight game where I fight snakes in space and sometimes even get paid for it too. But seriously why can't I be the bedside nurse the Emperor needs?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Like it's good that I can buy slaves and then sell them for a profit or give them to people who say they'll free them, but it would be even better if I could fit them with shock collars and then start a tasteful romance

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Does the game max out the number of players in a given area? Could goons just mass up somewhere and shut down a particular station undock in noobships if we wanted?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

You can sell them weapons or steal their weapons. Weapon deals all over the place in space.

How do these work actually I can't figure it out? I usually end up just shooting people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Siets posted:

Does the game max out the number of players in a given area? Could goons just mass up somewhere and shut down a particular station undock in noobships if we wanted?

No, it would just shunt people off into another instance at the most.

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013
Public service announcement: Sell/downgrade all the components on your ship before you sell it.

I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference in credits so I traded my decently equipped Viper for a Type 6.

If I had just traded the ship without selling anything my ending balance would be: 6,284,853.
After I sold all the components and then traded is my balance was: 6,500,117.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yup. The shipyard only gives you ~90% of the value of the ship.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Siets posted:

I believe the player limit is 32 per instance, according to the folks in mumble.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Working in a loving off license near Christmas. :cripes: To wind down I'm gonna buy that Cobra and finally get some faction rep. (Imperium!)

By the way there's something weird going on in this thread, it's a poopsocking space game and for like 60 pages everyone has been helpful and even friendly.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Noticed some people were asking about how to find resources requested in the bulletin board.

I know most of you guys already know this, but for those who don't: If you head to the commodities of the station requesting items it will tell you where they import said item from, then you just head to that location.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I have found a perfect place to mass sell all my rare commodities in my space trucking route.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

WarLocke posted:

I guess I've been doing it wrong then :negative:

The right way to do scooping: at full throttle, circling the star! :getin:

Raziel Eldwor posted:

Public service announcement: Sell/downgrade all the components on your ship before you sell it.

I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference in credits so I traded my decently equipped Viper for a Type 6.

If I had just traded the ship without selling anything my ending balance would be: 6,284,853.
After I sold all the components and then traded is my balance was: 6,500,117.

Yeah this.

trading a mostly maxed out Adder for a Cobra, final balance was about 950k

with most subsystem sold/swapped out for cheapest version in outfitting screen, final balance 1,120k

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 23, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Trading is lucrative but holy poo poo its kind of boring most of the time, they need to add some sort of mechanics to it that require thought beyond type system into online calculator -> go to point A buy poo poo go to point B an sell it.

I get thats what trading is, but this is a game so maybe we can make it more interesting somehow ?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sylink posted:

Trading is lucrative but holy poo poo its kind of boring most of the time, they need to add some sort of mechanics to it that require thought beyond type system into online calculator -> go to point A buy poo poo go to point B an sell it.

I get thats what trading is, but this is a game so maybe we can make it more interesting somehow ?

The mechanic is supposed to be the act of finding the lucrative routes. Using the calculator defeats the point.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dear Third World Reggin tell me how to sell weapons to them in these instances. I might buy a type 7 and fill it with battle weapons and fight the Empire :getin:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Sylink posted:

I'd recommend trying to play the game in windowed mode and going here to help pass the time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sylink posted:

Time to be a smartass. This is like complaining a puzzle game is boring when you looked up all the solutions beforehand.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
B-b-but if I don't use the online calculators, numbers go up at a suboptimal rate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
How can I tell what systems have a black market available? Or do I just have to visit all the stations?

• Locked thread