Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Luna Was Here posted:

when was the last time a valve guy posted here

Back in the early TF2 days a bunch of them were fairly regular and I think some of them posted back during the early CS:GO days but very rarely. Reddit seems to have pulled them away :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
The rarest, most illegal move in counter-strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkYlWZDCxPs

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!
Simply amazing.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Back in the early TF2 days a bunch of them were fairly regular and I think some of them posted back during the early CS:GO days but very rarely. Reddit seems to have pulled them away :(

All the goon valve people don't post on reddit either that's a whole different set.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Necc0 posted:

The rarest, most illegal move in counter-strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkYlWZDCxPs

:laffo:

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Can someone help me write a bind cause I'm dumb?

I want "x" to toggle "y" which is noclip or lookatweapon. So when I press x, y is noclip and when I press x again, y is lookatweapon.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Bored of playing with myself, if anyone wants to add me, MG2 atm. http://steamcommunity.com/id/awshuckz/

I try to teamflash as much as possible.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Rekkit posted:

Can someone help me write a bind cause I'm dumb?

I want "x" to toggle "y" which is noclip or lookatweapon. So when I press x, y is noclip and when I press x again, y is lookatweapon.

code:
alias y_noclip "bind y noclip; alias toggle_y y_lookatweapon"
alias y_lookatweapon "bind y lookatweapon; alias toggle_y y_noclip"
alias toggle_y y_lookatweapon
bind x toggle_y
bind y noclip
I think this will work, when you launch csgo y will be set to noclip and then x should switch what y is bound to each time you press it

edit: this is a weird bind though, why don't you just make y noclip and x lookatweapon or something??

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Apparition posted:

I think your account is broken how are you still silver 2
The only thing I can think of is that I lose almost as many matches as I win (the past few due to goddamn smurfs). I'm really hoping to rank up now that I'm on break.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

fennesz posted:

I'll stop you right there. I literally play on my couch. I keep forgetting that and, all things considered, I think I'm half decent. I'm just going to be worse than everyone else with a loving desk and a mousepad :v:

Though my sens actually feels pretty good. When I swipe to turn around I end up looking more or less exactly where I was looking to aim anyhow. I do have a huge amount of trouble with the AK though, still not sure why. Even 1/2 tapping I can't hit poo poo but when it comes to the M4A1 (and the USP) it actually makes me look decent occasionally. It's perplexing.

Playing on a couch isn't the worst thing, I practically learned to play CS1.2-1.4 on a couch or lazyboy chair, depending on where my pc was set up that week. If you have a wide arm to the couch, use that as your mouse surface, otherwise if you can comfortably fit a small table on the side, or anything to lift your hand up a bit so it's not on the seat of the couch. I was getting even K/D on the public servers of X3(lost to NiP in finals that year) playing on my couch. It's doable, just different.

Also, people talk about playing against better players makes you better, and that is so true. Back when I first played on that X3 server I didn't get a kill for like a week, and I was good on the server I played before that. After I was able to go even on that server, I went back to my old server, went 80-2 and got banned for hacking lol.

TooHotCarlzz
Jul 27, 2014

Gristley Bear posted:

Just got my first ever smoke grenade kill!!!!

Glad it was on you k1ng

Reported for offensive content. Specifically, that BS nade making contact with my head.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

TooHotCarlzz posted:

Reported for offensive content. Specifically, that BS nade making contact with my head.

A nade headshot will have the headshot icon added, no wonder you are stuck in silver II land. I have no idea if this is actually true.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ4HO5WKaEM

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I don't know what to think of this, except god drat my unboxing luck, but at least I still have clean underwear.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
It's really an accomplishment that they made something vaugely worthwhile out of Dust1 in the form of Shortdust

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Who at valve thinks allowing all-voice-chat during the middle of a match is a good idea?

Its gotten to the point where I just take my headset off at the end of the 15th match. :argh:

Also why aren't all these kids in school? :corsair:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

mcvey posted:

/nods

I just didn't want to wait 10 minutes for that queue to pop, Good thing you put dust2 on ehh

lmao 1v1 me kid

Played a match make on train with slumpy and crew this afternoon and went like 5-22 or some poo poo :lol:

I want so badly to make an excuse(fffff-ffff 64 tick!!!!!)

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Who at valve thinks allowing all-voice-chat during the middle of a match is a good idea?

Its gotten to the point where I just take my headset off at the end of the 15th match. :argh:

What? That's my favourite part of the match.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

What? That's my favourite part of the match.

Nothing like some blaring southern rap to really get you amp'd for the second half.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Fake sick once a week to frag if ur cool

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Played a match make on train with slumpy and crew this afternoon and went like 5-22 or some poo poo :lol:

I want so badly to make an excuse(fffff-ffff 64 tick!!!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVLyB0Yc6I

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

the most important bind for mm is this one:

code:
bindtoggle [key] "voice_enable"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

This was the saddest match I have ever played.

and guess who still didn't rank up yet :suicide:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

UltraVariant posted:

who loving cares?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I do.

I care.

I care a lot.

scamp posted:

Nothing like some blaring southern rap to really get you amp'd for the second half.

Please help me configure hldj.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

UltraVariant posted:

Why would you rank up on a joke game where the other team was messing around and ended with 4 bots?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

UltraVariant posted:

Based on your post history it sounds like you win roughly half of the games you play. You are ranked properly at silver 2 hth.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Why would you rank up on a joke game where the other team was messing around and ended with 4 bots?
I just expected that this would be the cherry on top of several recent wins that would finally push me to Silver III.

astr0man posted:

Based on your post history it sounds like you win roughly half of the games you play. You are ranked properly at silver 2 hth.
If you think so.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

UltraVariant posted:

If you think so.

It has nothing to do with whether I think you are good or bad. The way matchmaking works is that everyone should have roughly a 50% win rate at their "proper" rank. If you win enough that your win rate trends >50% you will go up in rank. If it trends down <50% you will derank. If you are not winning a majority of your games you won't rank up. Just because you top frag in a game or two or even 3 doesn't mean you are underranked.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Play with higher ranked goons and see how you do

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

astr0man posted:

It has nothing to do with whether I think you are good or bad. The way matchmaking works is that everyone should have roughly a 50% win rate at their "proper" rank. If you win enough that your win rate trends >50% you will go up in rank. If it trends down <50% you will derank. If you are not winning a majority of your games you won't rank up. Just because you top frag in a game or two or even 3 doesn't mean you are underranked.
Is this how the system works? I always thought it along with final scores it also encompassed things such as individual K:D and MVPs.

mcvey posted:

Play with higher ranked goons and see how you do
I probably should do this. I have a Silver Elite friend I play with and that helps tremendously. However, he's on vacation for the next week, and my only other CS:GO-playing close friend is MGE so I can't play with him unless it's a full party.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

UltraVariant posted:

Is this how the system works? I always thought it along with final scores it also encompassed things such as individual K:D and MVPs.

No one actually knows what individual stats valve uses in their matchmaking system, or how much of an effect they even have on the system. But match wins/losses have the most consistent impact on it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

astr0man posted:

What if all your losses are 14-16 and all your wins are 16-0? What if you end every game with every MVP and 50 frags?

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm at GN4 but I should be ranked Silver 2. Ranking system is so screwed up.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
namechange VariantSilver

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

astr0man posted:

No one actually knows what individual stats valve uses in their matchmaking system, or how much of an effect they even have on the system. But match wins/losses have the most consistent impact on it.

They're probably ranking individuals using ELO internally, its what everybody uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

astr0man posted:

Depending upon the ranking algorithm it probably also takes rank into account, so beating a silver-1 wouldn't help you rank up, while losing to a gold nova wouldn't necessarily bump you down. (Assuming matchmaking can't find people around your rank, but usually there's a range and sometimes its worse than othertimes)

Course then you get into scoring teams vs individuals.

I like that CS GO waits until it sees you win a certain number of matches to initially rank you. Seeing you lose doesn't necessarily say as much as how you do when you're on a winning team. If you pushed ahead in kills or if you were carried.

Still, consistent wins up, consistent losses down, 50/50 you're at where you should be.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 24, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lols, silvers in this thread.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Still, consistent wins up, consistent losses down, 50/50 you're at where you should be.
I just hope to one day be experienced enough and ranked high enough to play alongside my MGE buddy.

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009
Hey, UltraVariant, go pick a replay where you think you played well and the match ended in a relatively even score and post it here.

Actually :siren:all of my CS:GOon bros:siren:, pick a demo as well because Christmas time is here and I'm gonna give you guys good cs advice* as a Christmas present

*Disclaimer: Might not actually be good advice, and also like all my other projects this is gonna flame out so be the first (and only) few people who gets a demo review from me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

Hey, UltraVariant, go pick a replay where you think you played well and the match ended in a relatively even score and post it here.
Well, I downloaded it, and found the source, but it won't seem to play in CS:GO when I try to preview it. A bit odd.

• Locked thread