Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
It goes back even further than that. Columbo always annoyed me because, while we see whodunnit right at the start, Columbo has no idea. It'd make sense if he worked it out gradually or interviewed everyone, but he always spends his entire time pestering and harassing one person and gathers the evidence to support his accusation later. Luckily he always picks the baddie, but if he ever got it wrong he'd be in a lot of trouble.

donquixotic posted:

Something I've seen on Law and Order: SVU that irritates me to no end is when the police try to question someone who is uncooperative but also not a suspect in a crime so they immediately threaten them.

Police:
I'd like to ask you a few intrusive questions about your sex life.

Innocent member of the public:
I really don't see that as any of your business.

Police:
How about we tell your boss about your adult baby fetish, or How about we arrest you now in front of everyone.

I'd like to see an episode where they call the police's bluff. Like, "yeah, I hump My Little Pony toys (I've been reading the AUG thread too long), so what, tell the world, I don't care". When you're applying for security clearance for jobs with institutions like GCHQ or the MoD, they actually don't care if you're into some weird poo poo, as long as you disclose it. The important thing is that you can't be blackmailed into giving up state secrets. So if someone says, "tell me what you know or I'll tell your bosses about your cross-dressing hobby," you can just reply "but they already know about that, I even wear tights and heels on casual Fridays".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Could be worse. CSI:Miami (at least) has instead had:

There's one I remember from way back in my childhood, when Murder She Wrote was first on and I was like 12 or so. There was a death at a circus and the old lady who "solved" the mysteries each week forced a confession out of a man by locking him in a cage and threatened to release a savage lion in with him.

Even as a kid, I realised there was no way that confession would ever stand up in court.

Which brings me to the next step in this parade - cops/lawyers getting confessions which will never result in a conviction. Threatening the family or friends of suspects, "Gee, it would be terrible if we had INS down at your children's school every day checking them for green cards"

Or the one where the cops have absolutely no evidence, but trick a confession out of someone with no lawyer present after hours of questioning.

Or every single time someone asking for their lawyer is code for the audience to believe they are guilty.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My favourite one was the season finale of one of the CSI Miami seasons in which Horatio goes to Brazil and shoots the criminal gang that killed his wife (or was it wife-to-be? I forget. Either way she had cancer so it was sad), without any sort of warrant, co-operation from the authorities or real moral justification, then makes a quip and puts on his sunglasses. It's like 'we're supposed to trust anything this man says about the law ever again when he's just been shown committing cold-blooded premeditated murder on foreign soil and getting away with it?"'.

The one that irrationally irritates me in mystery cop shows generally is 'famous guy did it'. The way that you frequently know that none of the people they're interviewing or suspecting are guilty because you haven't yet seen the famous guy who was mentioned in the credits/previews.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It always annoys me whenever an episode deals with corrupt police, because the main characters are supposed to be good cops who do the right thing and hate cops who give them a bad name by breaking the rules and all that, but they also hate the police who do the internal investigations. Like "We hate that guy because he was supposed to be a cop like us but he was secretly a criminal. But the guy who caught him, now that guy's a real fucker. What do you think you're doing investigating other cops? Aren't we above reproach?"

The other one that frequently annoys me is how every different law enforcement agency hates every other one. If you're NYPD you can't let the FBI take over any of your cases because... reasons? Those bastards!

thespaceinvader posted:

The one that irrationally irritates me in mystery cop shows generally is 'famous guy did it'. The way that you frequently know that none of the people they're interviewing or suspecting are guilty because you haven't yet seen the famous guy who was mentioned in the credits/previews.
There was an Australian comedy game show a few years ago called Sleuth 101 where each week the contestants were presented with a crime acted out by some guest performers and had to try to work out who did it. In one episode someone used that exact reasoning and got it right. "I couldn't work it out, but in cop shows it's usually the most famous guest star who did it, so I'm picking you."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

thespaceinvader posted:

See also the thing where they just cannot ever bring themselves to say "the murderer was this guy we just learned about" - it has to be someone the audience has seen before, however briefly. So there'll be some guy they speak to once at the start of the episode/film who is never mentioned again until they reveal he's the murderer. The greatest example of this is The Bone Collector, where immediately after the credits you see that guy who has a bit part in almost everything (but isn't famous enough that you know his name) and case closed.

While we're on about poo poo cop shows, I absolutely love how much contempt they have for the audience. There's an absolutely amazing episode of Castle where the murderer is using social media to reveal an unpleasant truth about human nature (it's basically Killer Net but in 2014, somehow) and at one point he posts a photograph that clearly shows Beckett and Castle walking down the street, facing the camera, in broad daylight and Beckett blurts out "Castle, that's us!". I can see why she made detective, jesus. :v:

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
And another thing I've seen on SVU (I've only seen a few episodes here and there so there may be more egregious examples than this) is harassing someone who hasn't broken the law but the police just don't like what the person is doing. The one I remember of this happening is a man who was romantically involved with a girl who was of legal age but had some disorder that made her look underage. It was purely how it looked, she wasn't mentally incapable of consent, she didn't have the mental age of a child. So because she looked underage, despite the police knowing her real age they end up harassing the man in public because his girlfriend looks young and they are in the office scheming and plotting as to how they can get this son of a bitch on some charges despite him not breaking the law.

EDIT: I just remembered something that irritates me about murder suspects. On the show Broadchurch it turned out the killer was the one person who wasn't a suspect at any point during the whole show, every other male character was a suspect so in the last episode I knew he's the killer because they haven't tried to make us think he's the killer before now.

donquixotic has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Dec 23, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pilchenstein posted:

See also the thing where they just cannot ever bring themselves to say "the murderer was this guy we just learned about" - it has to be someone the audience has seen before, however briefly.

:words: There's an absolutely amazing episode of Castle :words:

Speaking of Castle, it was almost an unwritten rule for that show that the killer would be the third person they spoke to. Not questioned, not suspected. Just talked to.

So, if they were at a crime scene and spoke to the doorman with a criminal past, he would be innocent. If they went to the apartment and spoke to the victim's ex-wife who was covered in blood and had earlier threatened to kill the victim, she would be innocent. If her assistant came up to them for two seconds, said hello and left? Bingo, guilty.

They could end up talking to a dozen or more people in the course of their investigation, but it was so very often the third one that goons in the TVIV thread would 'call' the murderer five minutes into the show and really annoy certain people.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Dec 23, 2014

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Basically every cop show wants to be dirty harry, but they miss the point that while Harry got results in the end his methods made all their evidence inadmissable and basically made the killer untouchable by legal means. Plus stopping that one criminal was supposed to have ruined his whole career and landed him in serious trouble.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Interrupting Cop Show talk for more Hobbit talk sorry.

The thing I really didn't like about the third film was the fact that things just disappear. The Arkenstone? The White Crystal Elf poo poo? The gigantic treasure horde? That black haired greasy dude? After a certain point they just stop mattering and disappear from the movie for WOO ORC FIGHTS. Hell, even the giant worms the orcs rode in on, which would have been perfect for getting into the mountain and loving poo poo up in general are forgotten about once they all come out of the tunnels.

Also the scene where Legolas is jumping off the falling bricks was a QTE with no prompts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jabby posted:

Basically every cop show wants to be dirty harry, but they miss the point that while Harry got results in the end his methods made all their evidence inadmissable and basically made the killer untouchable by legal means. Plus stopping that one criminal was supposed to have ruined his whole career and landed him in serious trouble.

Much like First Blood the original's message was completely lost when sequels came out which glorified the wrong parts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

My favourite one was the season finale of one of the CSI Miami seasons in which Horatio goes to Brazil and shoots the criminal gang that killed his wife (or was it wife-to-be? I forget. Either way she had cancer so it was sad), without any sort of warrant, co-operation from the authorities or real moral justification, then makes a quip and puts on his sunglasses. It's like 'we're supposed to trust anything this man says about the law ever again when he's just been shown committing cold-blooded premeditated murder on foreign soil and getting away with it?"'.

There's an episode of SVU where Stabler is in Europe tracking a missing girl and when they finally get the guy into custody he just starts beating the poo poo out of him. The criminal is all "you can't do this, I have rights" and they basically say how he doesn't have rights in that country so they can do anything they want to him. This is not portrayed as a bad thing and Stabler doesn't lose any sleep over it. There was another episode where one of the cops was chasing a suspect and gets him onto a roof, he almost falls off and is just hanging by his fingers and the cop is fine with letting him fall to his death, until the criminal reveals that he's an undercover cop and only then is he rescued.

Oddly enough, the original Law & Order is really good for anti cop show clichés. A lot of the times when cops/lawyers break the rules they get called out on it and evidence at trial is suppressed. Probably because unlike a lot of other cop shows they actually have to go to trial to finish out the story, so there's a greater focus on putting the criminals away and not just arresting them and not caring what happens later.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Stottie Kyek posted:

I'd like to see an episode where they call the police's bluff. Like, "yeah, I hump My Little Pony toys (I've been reading the AUG thread too long), so what, tell the world, I don't care". When you're applying for security clearance for jobs with institutions like GCHQ or the MoD, they actually don't care if you're into some weird poo poo, as long as you disclose it. The important thing is that you can't be blackmailed into giving up state secrets. So if someone says, "tell me what you know or I'll tell your bosses about your cross-dressing hobby," you can just reply "but they already know about that, I even wear tights and heels on casual Fridays".

There was an episode of, I think, Homeland like this, where they threaten to expose some Arab general as being gay, and he's all like, "Do it, I don't care. I love cocks. Yummy yummy."

Edit: right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hskVSq2lQKE

ladron has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Dec 23, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or the one where the cops have absolutely no evidence, but trick a confession out of someone with no lawyer present after hours of questioning.

To be fair, this one happens in real life all the loving time.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

DrBouvenstein posted:

To be fair, this one happens in real life all the loving time.

Too true, it may come as a surprise but most criminals are loving retarded.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reminds me of how the patient-of-the-week backdrop of House almost never, ever changed and the show's formula stayed basically the same from beginning to end, see: this gif:

I really liked that show and the main problem I had with it was that as the series got longer, it became evident that House lives in some kind of alternate reality where everyone but him is an idiot and is always wrong, and in this strange universe, being right in almost every single decision you make does not actually build up any credibility of you being correct for the future. I'm pretty sure there was even an episode about how House is always right about everything and the show subverted your expectations (the episode's subject matter is the show trying to make you think this is going to be the one where he gets it wrong and the patient dies) by having him still be right at the end.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There's a British show called Scott & Bailey that's more or less a soap opera but the two main characters are both cops and most of what goes on in the show revolves around their precinct. But because it's more character-focused it doesn't have to do all the procedural TV crime show things and instead it actually has a very sensible and more realistic (if probably pretty idealised) portrayal of police work. People are questioned in calm and reasonable and friendly ways and almost always with a lawyer present, cases are sometimes solved in one episode or sometimes dragged out for a few, sometimes it's the most obvious person and sometimes it isn't. At one point a character gets in trouble for using police resources to look up someone's number plate for her own personal reasons.

It's really jarring to watch an episode of it and then watch a procedural where they're yelling at witnesses and it's portrayed as something terrible and suspicious when a suspect asks for a lawyer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In more TV-show related news, I've been watching Shark Tank (the american version of Dragon's Den) and I have a weird one: the show does not vary up its music very much, and after watching a season or so of it I have noticed that they play the same music for every different thing that happens during the entrepreneur's presentation. Ever since noticing this, I cannot STOP noticing it, and because of the show using the same musical cues I can now instantly tell if the person is going to get a deal or not by what music the show plays when they walk in or while they're negotiating. Gooooood drat it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

CJacobs posted:

In more TV-show related news, I've been watching Shark Tank (the american version of Dragon's Den) and I have a weird one: the show does not vary up its music very much, and after watching a season or so of it I have noticed that they play the same music for every different thing that happens during the entrepreneur's presentation. Ever since noticing this, I cannot STOP noticing it, and because of the show using the same musical cues I can now instantly tell if the person is going to get a deal or not by what music the show plays when they walk in or while they're negotiating. Gooooood drat it.

And just to make sure everyone will consciously know about this and every other show that does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpzJAzdpTU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Awful lotta confirmation bias in here, though I suppose that's what this thread is about :) I loved SVU, and they suppressed ill-gotten evidence pretty often (though the cops were always surprised when it happened).

Speaking of confirmation bias, I was reading a thread similar to this one when the topic of using a defibrillator on a flatline heart rhythm came up. Posters were saying "oh yea, House and ER do that all the time, drives me nuts!" Well, I sat down one time and marathoned all of ER, specifically counting shocked flatlines, since that show seemed pretty on-the-ball most of the time. How often did they do it, in eight seasons?

Twice, both times the doc was yelled at because it wouldn't work, and it didn't work either time. I count this as an Irrationally Irritating Movie Thread moment :cheeky:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like SVU because every once in a while their horrible methods come to bite them in the rear end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Evilreaver posted:

Awful lotta confirmation bias in here, though I suppose that's what this thread is about :) I loved SVU, and they suppressed ill-gotten evidence pretty often (though the cops were always surprised when it happened).

Speaking of confirmation bias, I was reading a thread similar to this one when the topic of using a defibrillator on a flatline heart rhythm came up. Posters were saying "oh yea, House and ER do that all the time, drives me nuts!" Well, I sat down one time and marathoned all of ER, specifically counting shocked flatlines, since that show seemed pretty on-the-ball most of the time. How often did they do it, in eight seasons?

Twice, both times the doc was yelled at because it wouldn't work, and it didn't work either time. I count this as an Irrationally Irritating Movie Thread moment :cheeky:

Speaking of SVU and cardiac arrest, they have an episode where Benson stops Stabler from doing CPR on a victim because he didn't have a pulse and was dead.

That is literally the only set of circumstances in which it is appropriate to do CPR.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gaunab posted:

I like SVU because every once in a while their horrible methods come to bite them in the rear end.

I think it was a season premiere or finale for season...8? 9? (After I stopped watching it regularly, at any point) where that is the basic premise of the episode.

Some lawyer decides the best way to win for his client is dredge up all the shirt the SVU members have done, like Olivia helping her brother when he was a suspect in a sex crime, Stabler using his cop cred to get his daughter off of DUI charges, etc...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

because only pussies like Pyle and Joker actually care about things.

Joker ends up being more brutal than Animal Mother though.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Alhazred posted:

Joker ends up being more brutal than Animal Mother though.

Only once he stopped being a pussy and learned to be a Marine. (No, seriously, apparently being able to kill without remorse is the sole defining factor of whether or not you are a Real Marine to the people who hold up FMJ as a pro-war/pro-military movie).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Only once he stopped being a pussy and learned to be a Marine.

Well, yeah. That's the entire point of the movie.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Only once he stopped being a pussy and learned to be a Marine. (No, seriously, apparently being able to kill without remorse is the sole defining factor of whether or not you are a Real Marine to the people who hold up FMJ as a pro-war/pro-military movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rcXynnDoRI&t=52s

OOH RAH GET SOME

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

Oddly enough, the original Law & Order is really good for anti cop show clichés. A lot of the times when cops/lawyers break the rules they get called out on it and evidence at trial is suppressed. Probably because unlike a lot of other cop shows they actually have to go to trial to finish out the story, so there's a greater focus on putting the criminals away and not just arresting them and not caring what happens later.

If you read Homicide life on the killing street, they mention that this is all the cops care about. A case is black on the board if it was closed, not if they were found guilty.

This is also a method the Baltimore police used in real life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7pkFNEg5c

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Interrupting Cop Show talk for more Hobbit talk sorry.

The thing I really didn't like about the third film was the fact that things just disappear. The Arkenstone? The White Crystal Elf poo poo? The gigantic treasure horde? That black haired greasy dude? After a certain point they just stop mattering and disappear from the movie for WOO ORC FIGHTS. Hell, even the giant worms the orcs rode in on, which would have been perfect for getting into the mountain and loving poo poo up in general are forgotten about once they all come out of the tunnels.

Also the scene where Legolas is jumping off the falling bricks was a QTE with no prompts.

I hear you.

Peter Jackson has become George Lucas. It's sad. At least there is still the nearly perfect 1977 Hobbit to watch.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Trent posted:

I hear you.

Peter Jackson has become George Lucas. It's sad. At least there is still the nearly perfect 1977 Hobbit to get high as gently caress and sing along to.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

RedLetterMedia released their review of The Three Hobbits, and even knowing that they have a penchant for hyperbole for laughs, it just sounds and looks so bland :| gently caress you, George Lu-- Peter Jackson

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Apparently you can tell instantly if someone is dead by touching their neck for a second with your fingertips and concentrating. No need to try CPR, no need to check for a pulse elsewhere, no need to even call an ambulance sometimes. Can't find the pulse in the neck? gently caress it, bag em.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

HopperUK posted:

Apparently you can tell instantly if someone is dead by touching their neck for a second with your fingertips and concentrating. No need to try CPR, no need to check for a pulse elsewhere, no need to even call an ambulance sometimes. Can't find the pulse in the neck? gently caress it, bag em.

Ok, so there's irrationally irritating and then there's pedantic bullshit. The plot says the character is dead, there's no need to waste screen time checking for a pulse.

Is it important to the plot or characterization and dumb? Ok I'll give you that.
Is it movie shorthand and dumb? Who gives a gently caress

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Avengers when Agent coulson is explaining to Cap how Bruce Banner is a really smart guy he calls him a 'Stephen Hawking', which of course Cap has no idea who that is. Coulson just calls him a really smart person, instead of bringing up that other (arguably even more) famous smart person.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

kazil posted:

Ok, so there's irrationally irritating and then there's pedantic bullshit.

It irritates me, irrationally

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

mng posted:

RedLetterMedia released their review of The Three Hobbits, and even knowing that they have a penchant for hyperbole for laughs, it just sounds and looks so bland :| gently caress you, George Lu-- Peter Jackson

My irrational movie irritation is when people take the word of their funny review mans as gospel. I can't have a decent conversation about the Star Wars prequels (lol) without someone bringing up Red Letter Media's unfunny garbage "review" or, worse, just quoting it outright.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chip the dishes crack the plates erryday

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think it was a season premiere or finale for season...8? 9? (After I stopped watching it regularly, at any point) where that is the basic premise of the episode.

Some lawyer decides the best way to win for his client is dredge up all the shirt the SVU members have done, like Olivia helping her brother when he was a suspect in a sex crime, Stabler using his cop cred to get his daughter off of DUI charges, etc...
It was the season finale of season 8. And by that time I hated pretty much every character on that show who wasn't John Munch so I was praying that they'd actually follow through on the ending where they all seemed to be screwed. But of course they didn't. Luckily, however, that led to season nine's "Avatar"; the funniest episode of television ever produced. SVU is the worst.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Away all Goats posted:

In Avengers when Agent coulson is explaining to Cap how Bruce Banner is a really smart guy he calls him a 'Stephen Hawking', which of course Cap has no idea who that is. Coulson just calls him a really smart person, instead of bringing up that other (arguably even more) famous smart person.

Arnim Zola? Howard Stark?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

My irrational movie irritation is when people take the word of their funny review mans as gospel. I can't have a decent conversation about the Star Wars prequels (lol) without someone bringing up Red Letter Media's unfunny garbage "review" or, worse, just quoting it outright.

I mean their 'Half In the Bag' segments which are actual reviews, not the Plinkett stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

NorgLyle posted:

It was the season finale of season 8. And by that time I hated pretty much every character on that show who wasn't John Munch so I was praying that they'd actually follow through on the ending where they all seemed to be screwed. But of course they didn't. Luckily, however, that led to season nine's "Avatar"; the funniest episode of television ever produced. SVU is the worst.

SVU is amazing. I love that the most dangerous places in the SVU universe are the lobby of the SVU office and a courtroom. Nothing better than a perp getting gunned down by the unhinged victim (or victim's family member) in the middle of a room full of cops. Or the defendant being able to sprint across a courtroom to assault the star witness or DA and being able to get their full monlogue out before being dragged away by the guards. And that star witness you've visited the day before the trial to make sure that they're going to turn up to court on time? Better not let them out of your sight or there's a 95% chance that they'll be dead and floating in the Hudson before the courts open the next morning.

Oh, SVU :allears:

I'm gonna spend Christmas day watching season 12 on DVD and I regret nothing.