Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

T-man posted:

I was rewatching B4 today as a whole, and I was wondering what the consensus is on Korra's hair. I think it looks better shorter, and that Kuveria's hair is better when it's let down. Thoughts?

best hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Best Hair

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

By any standard, benders have a type of privilege that non-benders don't. "Well I can shoot fire and you can't, but you're richer than me so you have no right to complain!" isn't how privilege works. It was jarring for this show to not ever really examine that, especially coming off of ATLA, which seemed like a show that did tend to examine those things. More to the point, it's just really jarring in general, period, for any sort of modern narrative to be in total support of a side that does have privilege when the conflict in question centers specifically on that privilege, whilst presenting those without that privilege (again, the one that is specifically being debated on in the context of the plot) as just being a literal army of whiny malcontents without any real cause.

The Equalists were never going to be "right," but the fact is that these wrong people's intense ideologies shouldn't have been resolved the way that it did. Their entire complaint was that benders oppress and manipulate the less powerful. How was revealing that they were being oppressed and manipulated by a bender all this time supposed to prove them wrong?

No, but privilege isn't an either/or thing. Privilege is a thing that exists for every person in the world in some degree, but it isn't what is spoken of when privilege as an issue comes up. That is why the "Well, you have affirmative action!!" argument is stupid and flawed. Boiling privilege down to "They have a thing"ignores the actual real that is a social issue.

The narrative is not totally on either side. The thing the narrative is critical of is powerful people abusing underlying tensions for their own progression and gain. The fact that people want it to be about the unimportant division between people being born with magical powers vs not born with magical powers instead of the actually relevant "rich assholes exploiting tensions for their own gain" element actually leaves me frustrated.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 23, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JT Jag posted:

S3/4: Monarchy is also bad

S2-4: Democracy is kinda lovely sometimes and doesn't get much done

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

DrSunshine posted:

I misread that as "postmodern" thread, instead of "postmortem", so I was thinking about long posts influenced by Derrida, Foucault and Lacan deconstructing the politics and symbolism of ATLA and LOK. :allears:

LoK seems like an excellent topic for pomo as despite being supposedly undeniably designated the Avatar in the first instance Korra spends most of the show/her time A) not being the Avatar, B) outright failing to fulfill Avatar duties (as impressed on her by a structure while she) C) radically alters what our understanding of the Avatar is or what the Avatar is capable of or what the very structure of the 'world' around her is.

It's more than 'Hero faces adversity and overcomes', it's an attack on the concept of the Avatar through demonstration.

There's also the holy trinity of Avatar as God, Avatar as human and Avatar as individual going on throughout.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 23, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps it is a sign of good storytelling that we the audience wanted to believe in what the charismatic revolutionary terrorist was saying. Our wanting to believe in Amon's legitimacy mirrored that of his followers. I'm not saying that psychic bloodbending isn't stupid or that the dissolution of the Equalist movement was handled poorly or that the ultimate message of "charismatic leaders can convince people that a single group is responsible for all their problems and that leads to bad things" was stated as clearly as it could have been, but ultimately the revelation of what Amon really was is something I think actually really works. Even if we didn't get the idiocy of psychic bloodbending, any backstory for Amon that wasn't what he had claimed would have been disappointing because we all wanted to believe him, and that's the success of the character.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I liked Korra's s4 hair best. But I'm biased because I generally like non-straight girls with shorter hair.

I've always liked women with short hair but I kinda blame watching Robotech at 11-13 and Dana Sterling for that.
Plus it makes Korra look both cute and like a total bad rear end who can get poo poo done. Hell, just look at Bayonetta. 2 nd game gives her short hair and it makes it so I can almost take her seriously as more than just a ridiculous bit of Japanese nutter fan service game.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Two Questions:

1) When did Mako learn to lightning bend?

2) What are the Chinese Characters that appear on screen after Korra and Asami head into the spirit world?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Armagnac posted:

Two Questions:

2) What are the Chinese Characters that appear on screen after Korra and Asami head into the spirit world?

He always could and "The End" unless where I read that was a joke I didn't get.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Armagnac posted:

Two Questions:

1: Mako knew how to Lightning Bend since before the series started. He learned it during his days as a street thug. He's done it throughout the series.It is how he defeated the waterbender member of the Red Lotus.

2: "The End."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

*sigh* what were all those seasons of romance & loving looks & shoulder touches for ?
they led us on
This is why we can't go to tumblr.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Perhaps it is a sign of good storytelling that we the audience wanted to believe in what the charismatic revolutionary terrorist was saying. Our wanting to believe in Amon's legitimacy mirrored that of his followers. I'm not saying that psychic bloodbending isn't stupid or that the dissolution of the Equalist movement was handled poorly or that the ultimate message of "charismatic leaders can convince people that a single group is responsible for all their problems and that leads to bad things" was stated as clearly as it could have been, but ultimately the revelation of what Amon really was is something I think actually really works. Even if we didn't get the idiocy of psychic bloodbending, any backstory for Amon that wasn't what he had claimed would have been disappointing because we all wanted to believe him, and that's the success of the character.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe, it's just a children's show and so isn't very well written, and is often times simplistic.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

TheKingofSprings posted:

S2-4: Democracy is kinda lovely sometimes and doesn't get much done

S1: revolutionary communism v conservatism
S2: spiritual atavism v globalised capitalism
S3: anarchism v authoritarianism
S4: fascism v isolationism

It turns out the answer is always in the middle, AKA liberal democracy.

S3 and 4 feel like the best because they give the fairest showing to their concepts - Zaheer, the new airbenders and Suyin are all honest anarchists, Kuvira is about as sympathetic a dictator as you can get. By contrast both Amon and Unalaq are liars and hypocrites and it's difficult to know what they actually stand for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Hmmmmmm. Maybe, it's just a children's show and so isn't very well written, and is often times simplistic.

Stop having crazy talk.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Eej posted:

Well you see, S1: Communism is bad. S2: Theocracy is bad. S3: Anarchism is bad. S4: Fascism is bad.

Maybe they can do a Bioshock crossover game

Captain Rufus posted:

I've always liked women with short hair but I kinda blame watching Robotech at 11-13 and Dana Sterling for that.
Plus it makes Korra look both cute and like a total bad rear end who can get poo poo done. Hell, just look at Bayonetta. 2 nd game gives her short hair and it makes it so I can almost take her seriously as more than just a ridiculous bit of Japanese nutter fan service game.

lol

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 23, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lt. Danger posted:

S1: revolutionary communism v conservatism
S2: spiritual atavism v globalised capitalism
S3: anarchism v authoritarianism
S4: fascism v isolationism

It turns out the answer is always in the middle, AKA liberal democracy.

S3 and 4 feel like the best because they give the fairest showing to their concepts - Zaheer, the new airbenders and Suyin are all honest anarchists, Kuvira is about as sympathetic a dictator as you can get. By contrast both Amon and Unalaq are liars and hypocrites and it's difficult to know what they actually stand for.

Kuvira is the most sympathetic even with the rounding up of non-earth benders and dissenters into camps?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Kuvira is the most sympathetic even with the rounding up of non-earth benders and dissenters into camps?
The non-earthbenders thing just got brought up once and never acknowledged again so I'm gonna file that in my "forget it ever happened" pile along with Amon complimenting Mako's bending.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Misandrist Wytch posted:

it can't be

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuvira putting people into reeducation camps is mentioned multiple times throughout the season.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Covok posted:

Well, she was arguably right about one thing, that someone had to stand up and bring order to the anarchy that had come to the Earth Kingdom. The Avatar wasn't around to do it, Suyin refused to do it, so she felt like it was her duty. It was her methods that were flawed.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Zaheer Was Right

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Unaloq Did No Wrong

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

Kuvira putting people into reeducation camps is mentioned multiple times throughout the season.

Not only that, it's what makes Bolin question his loyalty and then he is threatened with being sent to one before Varrick convinces them to make Bolin his assistant. It's actually relevant to the plot.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

JT Jag posted:

Well, she was arguably right about one thing, that someone had to stand up and bring order to the anarchy that had come to the Earth Kingdom. The Avatar wasn't around to do it, Suyin refused to do it, so she felt like it was her duty. It was her methods that were flawed.

She was also arguably right about not letting Wu back into power so easily, ideally though she should've forced a compromise where Wu became a ceremonial figure head like the British Monarchy while naming herself Prime MinisterFirst Citizen-4-Life.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Eej posted:

Not only that, it's what makes Bolin question his loyalty and then he is threatened with being sent to one before Varrick convinces them to make Bolin his assistant. It's actually relevant to the plot.

And we meet runaways from the camps. They're in two episodes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

She was also arguably right about not letting Wu back into power so easily, ideally though she should've forced a compromise where Wu became a ceremonial figure head like the British Monarchy while naming herself Prime MinisterFirst Citizen-4-Life.
Yeah, that would have been the smart thing to do. She would have earned the right to being the New Earth Nation's first President or whatever too, with all the work she put in to reuniting it. But it wasn't enough for her. She had gotten a taste of power and control, and she wanted it all.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Amon/Lieutenant.

Honestly, I wish they showed us the Reeducation Camps or dropped them. Plus, there's the whole thing that we, as an audience, only see Kuveria's reform stuff WORK in the first few episodes - it's said later that it tends to break down later, but that's telling, not showing.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Covok posted:

That's not quite what I said. Like someone else said earlier, Kuvira is more of a Roman dictator than a Hitler analogue. That's very generous to fascism.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

That's not quite what I said. Like someone else said earlier, Kuvira is more of a Roman dictator than a Hitler analogue. That's very generous to fascism.
She would have been a Roman dictator analogue if she gave up her emergency powers after her allotted term. She wanted to become a Caesar though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

considering the Earth Kingdom is an analogue for China, I think she's meant to stand in for certain other political figures.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

considering the Earth Kingdom is an analogue for China, I think she's meant to stand in for certain other political figures.
She was originally harkening back to the Northern Expedition, but the show went full Hitler.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uh, I wouldn't go that far.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Eej posted:

Yeah, reminder that the railgun is literally a Nazi superweapon.

Also the "re-education" camps. Also the Hitler youth haircuts.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 23, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

She literally had a Nazi super-weapon

fake edit: Beaten.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

ufarn posted:

She was originally harkening back to the Northern Expedition, but the show went full Hitler.

It decidedly didn't. Concentration camps existed before Hitler.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
If you're talking about the reeducation camps, that's more of a maoist thing.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The art direction is pretty hard in the direction of Nazis. I refuse to believe it didn't get there without someone directing the artists 'A little more Nazi."

I mean, the substance, whatever. But the aesthetic is clearly pointing you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Genocyber posted:

She literally had a Nazi super-weapon

fake edit: Beaten.

I honestly had no idea that existed.

Seriously, my first thought when I saw it was that she had Megatron's arm cannon.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

There's a thin but significant line between putting dissenters in "re-education camps" and rounding up non-earthbenders to put in those same camps. One is typical fascism, the other is straight-up genocide. They could have had Bolin switch sides after learning about what really goes on with the re-education camps without needing to bring purification into the mix.
It's sort of like how they had Equalists bomb rescue ships in Book 1, that moment where they make the villains too unsympathetic.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I never understood why lightning bending was a fire bender thing instead of air bending.. why not give fire bending the lava bending too? Earth already has metal bending, water has blood and ice bending.

• Locked thread