Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Haha somehow camper became vampire to iOS. Buying a vampire for 5k is a good investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010

xie posted:

A friend of mine who is bad with money herself bought a vampire in upstate NY for 5k that sleeps 4
AH AH AH

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blackmet posted:

I loaned $1,000 once back when I was in college. It was never paid back. But I was young and dumb, and that money is gone now, so forget it.

I recently found an IOU from a college flatmate for £20. It's over 20 years ago, so perhaps I should write it off?

He was Nigerian, so every time I get a spam email, I like to think it might be from him, trying to make amends. So, I always send my a/c details in case it is.

xie posted:

A friend of mine who is bad with money herself bought a vampire in upstate NY for 5k that sleeps 4 .

1,2,3,4 AHAHAHAH!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Wickerman posted:

I am absolutely interested. An acquaintance of mine used to live in a converted van in a parking lot for about a year down around Dayton. Supposedly he was showering at University facilities and getting adequate nutrition. On brutally cold nights during winter he said he couchsurfed. It's not like the guy was homeless, he had decent money.

https://www.dropbox.com/l/v7aWoFC1FJzNoI2x7FAa3v

It's a great read but it really tugged at my heartstrings. The subjects could be your grandparents. It's nothing like the schadenfreude in this thread.

Edit: this article may seem familiar if you watch 60 Minutes or Dateline. I can't count the number of times I've read a great piece in Harper's then endured a horrible hack job of the same topic a month later from one of those "news" shows.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 23, 2014

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

peter banana posted:

a good with money tip: don't lend money to friends or family unless you're prepared for the "loan" to become a gift

This is like the goon cliche of leaving your dorm door open. All goons say this but it's not a truism by any means.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

opus111 posted:

This is like the goon cliche of leaving your dorm door open. All goons say this but it's not a truism by any means.

No, that little piece of advice is actually pretty universally recognized as being true and correct. It isn't that friends and family won't pay you back most of the time, it's that loans can easily undermine your relationships because they're not primarily business transactions and have emotional connotations for all parties involved. Consequently things can turn nasty fast even in cases where everybody was operating with complete sincerity and good faith if people don't see eye to eye in terms of assumed repayment terms or changed circumstances, and if you don't want to jeopardize your relationships it's extremely prudent to protect yourself by only dealing in amounts of money you're fully prepared to lose.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

So there we go: buy a Winnebago every 15 years, stock it full of beans and rice and live the BFC dream.

Can't argue with those numbers. Living in a van down by the river is now "Plan A." I'll have to come up with a good reason why my house doesn't have wheels.

So, somewhat seriously, what if your job (and your spouse's) were work-remote? I'm tantalizingly close to that situation now. What's a good way to take advantage of that, considering I'm not going to be able to move anyplace that's meaningfully cheaper than my current location.

Edit: ^^^ When my brother wanted to loan money to a friend, I told him not to do it unless he was willing to repossess her only car. He pointed her to Lending Club.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Folly posted:

So, somewhat seriously, what if your job (and your spouse's) were work-remote? I'm tantalizingly close to that situation now. What's a good way to take advantage of that, considering I'm not going to be able to move anyplace that's meaningfully cheaper than my current location.

What, you mean like you can work 100% remotely? Move to a third world country where you can buy some sort of visa and let the dollars roll in. :getin:

I'm only half-kidding, obviously personal ties and little intangibles like rule of law* count for something.

*Yeah, I know there are stable developing countries.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Marathon Key or Isla Morada would be my choice.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

LGD posted:

No, that little piece of advice is actually pretty universally recognized as being true and correct. It isn't that friends and family won't pay you back most of the time, it's that loans can easily undermine your relationships because they're not primarily business transactions and have emotional connotations for all parties involved. Consequently things can turn nasty fast even in cases where everybody was operating with complete sincerity and good faith if people don't see eye to eye in terms of assumed repayment terms or changed circumstances, and if you don't want to jeopardize your relationships it's extremely prudent to protect yourself by only dealing in amounts of money you're fully prepared to lose.

you need to get better friends and family bro. I've lent large amounts out to both and had no problems.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

Or you can do what my rich uncle used to do (before he stopped loaning money all together) and literally have contracts drawn up.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

opus111 posted:

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."

-some dumb goon

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

opus111 posted:

you need to get better friends and family bro. I've lent large amounts out to both and had no problems.

I'm glad it's worked out for you, but it's sort of like having unprotected sex with people you haven't known for long- something people do all the time that is often good for everyone involved and has no consequences whatsoever, but still not something you should be recommending. Because when it goes wrong it can really, really go wrong. The point isn't that you shouldn't lend friends and family money, or that you shouldn't make loans of a certain size- it's purely about whether or not you can deal with never seeing that money again. If you can, then by all means feel free to lend away. But anything else is begging for trouble.

jon joe posted:

Or you can do what my rich uncle used to do (before he stopped loaning money all together) and literally have contracts drawn up.

That insulates you from some of it, but if having the best and clearest contracts in the world isn't going to stop there from being real personal consequences in any scenario where you'd actually need to enforce the terms of a contract. It isn't really strictly financial advice, it's advice about managing personal relationships. Even without a formal contract it's completely possible to get a judgement against your cousin/uncle/aunt/friend and then get a garnishment/lien/whatever against them to ensure you get paid back. It's just that if you're in a situation where you'd even be thinking of doing such a thing, that relationship is basically shot, and the situation has likely jeopardized a few more besides (because they're telling people their side of the story and what sort of a monster are you if you're garnishing your unfortunate aunt's meager wages?!?). Much simpler to never put yourself in a situation where you'd ever need to do anything more than write it off.

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 24, 2014

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

opus111 posted:

So when the friend or family hits a wall and pay back becomes serious hardship, then what? The adage doesn't say don't loan them money just that you better be prepared to let it go when payback becomes impossible for the foreseeable future. It becomes a pall on the relationship. People get suicidal over debts from faceless institutions that go to collections, how do you think they internalize owing a friend?

So glad you've been blessed with people that can pay up every time but people default all the time, sometimes through no fault of their own. I don't want my family feeling bad about my trust or my faith in them. It's just better to let it go after a certain point.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

That insulates you from some of it, but if having the best and clearest contracts in the world isn't going to stop there from being real personal consequences in any scenario where you'd actually need to enforce the terms of a contract. It isn't really strictly financial advice, it's advice about managing personal relationships. Even without a formal contract it's completely possible to get a judgement against your cousin/uncle/aunt/friend and then get a garnishment/lien/whatever against them to ensure you get paid back. It's just that if you're in a situation where you'd even be thinking of doing such a thing, that relationship is basically shot, and the situation has likely jeopardized a few more besides (because they're telling people their side of the story and what sort of a monster are you if you're garnishing your unfortunate aunt's meager wages?!?). Much simpler to never put yourself in a situation where you'd ever need to do anything more than write it off.

My rich uncle is very clear that if you don't pay back the money, you are dead to him.

edit: What I'm saying is, he cares a lot about money.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

MrKatharsis posted:

My wife and I spend $50-60/month on ZipCar and Car2Go. When we want to go on vacation, we get a car from RelayRides which is $40/day or so. Conceivably we could own/maintain a beater 80's Corolla for less than that, but we'd have to pay for parking and I'd be doing oil changes myself. No thanks.

Confession: I bought a '99 Civic and I love it. So convenient and insurance is only $360/year with comprehensive and high liability limits.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Anne Whateley posted:

And you could ignore people who like cities, but here we are.

So instead of ignoring one post, guess I get to ignore 3/4 of a page every 3 pages or so. OK.

Dirk Diggler fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 24, 2014

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

Confession: I bought a '99 Civic and I love it. So convenient and insurance is only $360/year with comprehensive and high liability limits.

What is considered high liability where you live? Just wondering cause I think I read somewhere that in the states that minimum coverage is in the tens of thousands (http://personalinsure.about.com/cs/vehicleratings/a/blautominimum.htm), whereas in my province, the mandatory minimum is 20 times higher ($1,000,000).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Mantle posted:

What is considered high liability where you live? Just wondering cause I think I read somewhere that in the states that minimum coverage is in the tens of thousands (http://personalinsure.about.com/cs/vehicleratings/a/blautominimum.htm), whereas in my province, the mandatory minimum is 20 times higher ($1,000,000).
&500k+ probably. Most states have a stupid low minimum, 20k or some such. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving with under 300k, and eventually I'll move that up as my assets increase. I personally have had over 100k paid out (for a tree impact at 45MPH) for medical bills and damages. My gf had an accident where she got Tboned by an old pickup at 45-50MPH and she was in an early 00's LX (in 04), and that was something like a 130-150k ordeal. The other driver received a judgement because he only had state minimum coverage, thankfully her insurance covered everything. Both of these 6 figure accidents occurred in late 2004, I can only imagine the medical bills would be a few times more expensive now.

Moral of the story - America is bad with logic, money and driving, and everyone should have a good amount of insurance.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Mantle posted:

250,000/500,000/100,000. It is now actually $460/year in Seattle. I just checked and found out that I accidentally bought the cheapo policy so I upped it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
It's my father, he's bad with money.

My father is currently 'living' solely off his early retirement package from a job he worked at for quite a while, 20 years ago. I put it as 'living' because he has so much debt in the form of high interest store cards that his monthly expenses exceed his income. He has no job, has had no luck finding one, and I'm pretty sure his financial situation has given him diagnosable clinical depression, not that he could afford a therapist to get that confirmed. This isn't his first time through the debt rodeo, as he's managed the impressive figure of declaring bankruptcy twice in his life. He used to work a pretty high paying job, the one he's receiving retirement from now, but was supplementing his income with debt and had no savings. Heck, my dad's idea of savings is literally truck equity, not even joking. When he got laid off he couldn't afford his payments on his credit cards or vehicle any more and declared bankruptcy. After that he started living with his mother and became self-employed in construction, which was doing decently for a while, but he became too reliant on the unstable income and went into debt again, which fell apart when the construction work dried up, causing him to file for bankruptcy again. Since that time his mother died, which happened about 2 years ago when I was still in college. Her house was sold for a nice amount which was split between her children, my dad included, plus he got her truck. He used the money to rent for a while, shopping for a house, which he finally found at a decent price, though it was a fixer-upper and he didn't have the money to buy it outright, so had to start paying on it. Now, this alone wouldn't be a problem. With the monthly payment on the house, utilities, the truck, the truck's insurance (paid every 3 months), internet, phone, and cigarettes (good luck convincing him this isn't necessary) his costs would be just below his once a month early retirement check of $800. Plus he receives the maximum amount of food stamps for a single person, so he's not starving. Problem is he still has absurd amounts of CC debt, collected through virtue of spending what little money he had + lots of debt on repairs for the house (for selling it later, you see!), and then financing an above-bare-minimum lifestyle off other cards. If it's a consumer goods he needs, carding it and making minimum payments is his answer. He estimates the house needs another $10,000 put into it before it's salable, so I estimate $20,000.

Recently I started my full time job and can finally afford to help him out. Or can I? If he made minimum payments on all his debts and made absolutely 0 purchases beyond complete necessities, I'd have to give him around $200 a month. He's survived this long off a combination of the classical debt shuffle plus pawning off his actually quite expensive construction tools. I offered the money to him (he's really stubborn about not taking help from others) until he can get a job and also offered to help him get a job by editing his resume, putting in online apps, creating an online job profile, etc. Because he literally needs the help to survive, he'll probably accept it, but my problems are five fold:
1) I have little faith he won't make the same mistakes if given the discretionary income to do so (even now, in this situation, he continues to make poor financial decisions such as driving his 16 MPG truck to physically pay bills, because he likes to drive).
2) I don't live with him, so I have no ability to monitor him.
3) I leave for graduate school in 6 months, meaning I'll need to quit my full time job and live on a pretty meager income myself.
4) In 7 years his early retirement ends and he starts drawing on SS. I have no idea if it'll be higher or lower than what he's getting currently.
5) Retirement? Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha.

Maybe this isn't the thread to rant about this kind of stuff, but I have no loving clue what to do.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 24, 2014

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Why did he quit his original job?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My girlfriends sister is bad with money. She's had every opportunity to build up a nice financial situation since she started working at 16 during school while living at home for free. Instead she blew it all on expensive clothes, presents and other poo poo. She even financed clothes :psyduck:. Borrowed from my girlfriend as well. The sister got past all that poo poo eventually though and now (lol) thinks she's decent with money... Except she isn't. She's blowing tons on their younger siblings, like 50 bucks on chocolate advent calendars. And now she has started to complain that my girlfriend doesn't spend enough on her family. I saw this coming a long time ago. My GF is the only one in that family that has a savings account, an education (nurse) and isn't in or heading towards financial trouble.
The rest of the family never asks for anything. It's just the sister.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

jon joe posted:

If he made minimum payments on all his debts and made absolutely 0 purchases beyond complete necessities, I'd have to give him around $200 a month.
I'm going to point out what I suspect you already know and point out that is number is a complete fantasy. What do you think is a realistic best case?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

jon joe posted:

Dad's going to leave all that truck equity to you.

I don't know if you're looking for advice or just ranting, but I'd be careful helping him out. An extra $200 a month would definitely help him, but it could also just finance more of his lovely lifestyle so he's even worse off when you have to scale it back. If you really want to help him, maybe put that extra money in a savings account for a really serious problem like his truck breaking down. Even then, you're running the risk of him depending on you in the future.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't know if you're looking for advice or just ranting, but I'd be careful helping him out. An extra $200 a month would definitely help him, but it could also just finance more of his lovely lifestyle so he's even worse off when you have to scale it back. If you really want to help him, maybe put that extra money in a savings account for a really serious problem like his truck breaking down. Even then, you're running the risk of him depending on you in the future.

You know how when you're a teenager and you start paying rent to your parents but they just hold on to the money for you and then give it back to you later when you want to pay for school? Otherwise you would just blow your money on stupid poo poo?

Except you're paying your dad an allowance that you steward for him.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

jon joe posted:

Recently I started my full time job and can finally afford to help him out. Or can I? If he made minimum payments on all his debts and made absolutely 0 purchases beyond complete necessities, I'd have to give him around $200 a month. He's survived this long off a combination of the classical debt shuffle plus pawning off his actually quite expensive construction tools. I offered the money to him (he's really stubborn about not taking help from others) until he can get a job and also offered to help him get a job by editing his resume, putting in online apps, creating an online job profile, etc. Because he literally needs the help to survive, he'll probably accept it, but my problems are five fold:
1) I have little faith he won't make the same mistakes if given the discretionary income to do so (even now, in this situation, he continues to make poor financial decisions such as driving his 16 MPG truck to physically pay bills, because he likes to drive).
2) I don't live with him, so I have no ability to monitor him.
3) I leave for graduate school in 6 months, meaning I'll need to quit my full time job and live on a pretty meager income myself.
4) In 7 years his early retirement ends and he starts drawing on SS. I have no idea if it'll be higher or lower than what he's getting currently.
5) Retirement? Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha.

Maybe this isn't the thread to rant about this kind of stuff, but I have no loving clue what to do.

Help him with his resume and stuff, but lets be realistic....

You're only going to be working full time for 6 months. There's no point in that kind of temporary support.

He won't cut down to the barest of necessties. And at his income level, even if he does, he's one car breakdown or medical emergency away being hosed anyway.

He's 60, or close to. With what sounds like a spotty resume and probably a body too wrecked to really go back into construction. Chances are high that he won't be working again. If he does, it's probably going to be part time and near minimum wage, and it will screw up the benefits he already has.

You probably WILL be supporting him eventually. But don't give much now. Instead focus on making yourself as financially fit as possible and getting your own life together, so you can afford a place with an extra bedroom when it comes to that.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

darkspider42 posted:

Why did he quit his original job?

Got fired when a merger happened, him and about 3/4ths of his co-workers.

CellarDweller posted:

I'm going to point out what I suspect you already know and point out that is number is a complete fantasy. What do you think is a realistic best case?

Realistic best case is $300 a month, or a 50% increase. Real realistic case is $500 a month, because at $300 he'd just get into more debt. Real real realistic case is $700 a month, because at $500 he'd just get into more debt. It'd literally never stop.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hmmm, not a bad idea, but I have no way of ensuring that he spends the money for what it's earmarked for in case of an event like that happening. I mean, he loves his truck and would do all the work himself, but still.

blackmet posted:

Help him with his resume and stuff, but lets be realistic....

You're only going to be working full time for 6 months. There's no point in that kind of temporary support.

He won't cut down to the barest of necessties. And at his income level, even if he does, he's one car breakdown or medical emergency away being hosed anyway.

He's 60, or close to. With what sounds like a spotty resume and probably a body too wrecked to really go back into construction. Chances are high that he won't be working again. If he does, it's probably going to be part time and near minimum wage, and it will screw up the benefits he already has.

You probably WILL be supporting him eventually. But don't give much now. Instead focus on making yourself as financially fit as possible and getting your own life together, so you can afford a place with an extra bedroom when it comes to that.

But how does he live until then? Does he just ignore the creditors (he's no stranger to doing this), let his score tank, and file bankruptcy again when he's eligible?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

jon joe posted:

But how does he live until then? Does he just ignore the creditors (he's no stranger to doing this), let his score tank, and file bankruptcy again when he's eligible?

He sounds like one of the people that could win the lottery and be flat broke again in 2 years. Nothing you do is going to help or fix him. It's why we have social security and food stamps, and luckily it sounds like he gets an extra $800 a month pension so he'll be fine. You need to focus on yourself and not give him any money, because he will just waste it anyway and you will accomplish nothing.

If he isn't asking for money, then I certainly wouldn't bring it up. If he asks for money just say you are broke and don't have any. If he keeps pushing you, then tell him he is a black hole of wasteful spending, he has proven that he is never going to change, and you need to focus on building your own life instead of bailing on the titanic that is him.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

jon joe posted:

Hmmm, not a bad idea, but I have no way of ensuring that he spends the money for what it's earmarked for in case of an event like that happening. I mean, he loves his truck and would do all the work himself, but still.

You don't need to give him cash. Say he needs $300 in parts for his truck, you could buy the parts at where ever and have him pick them up. Or pay a medical bill for him. Or pay part of his rent directly to his landlord. Or whatever. Granted he will probably be insulted or embarrassed by the fact that you clearly don't trust him with money.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

jon joe posted:

Pretty much.

He's at or below subsistence level income, with little hope of getting above that. The man is a 60 year old ex-construction worker with a spotty resume on food stamps. At best, he's going to end up getting some part time minimum wage job that will probably pay about as much as the food stamps that will be cut off when he does. Which is fine, if that's what he really wants to do, but I don't think I'd blame him if he didn't. There's also nothing for the creditors to take, so he might as well just ignore the phone calls.

As was said about my aunt and uncle -- he's a combination of "bad with money" and "ain't got no money." He's also at that point where he's not going to be magically getting a 50k a year office job with a 401k. As long as he has a roof over his head and food on the table, I'd just stay out of it.

If he really DOES need help with a particular major event, then it's OK to help with that bill if YOU are comfortable with doing so. You can also say "no" if you don't want to. But I wouldn't give him an allowance, because it's just not really going to help with anything and will probably hurt whatever pride he has to boot. The best thing you can do for him is support yourself and ask for nothing financially from him, which it sounds like you already do.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Had a talk with my dad. Despite all his money-based flaws, he's always been a pretty cool guy, so he understood when I withdrew the money offer, though I still offered to help him with his resume. I advised him to do basically this:

jon joe posted:

until he gets a job that would allow him to do things that aren't that, because I'm not really able to help him out in any meaningful way. Thankfully he can file in 2016. Even if it leaves him in the same position he's currently in, he wants the job anyway just to have something to do. So, as happy of an end as I could have gotten from this situation, I suppose. Thanks, all.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

jon joe posted:

Even if it leaves him in the same position he's currently in, he wants the job anyway just to have something to do. So, as happy of an end as I could have gotten from this situation, I suppose. Thanks, all.

I'm going to be blunt and just say that's some stupid logic. If the income he makes is offset by the benefits he loses, he's effectively trading his time for nothing.

If he's got a roof over his head and food on the table and he wants something to do, have him take up a hobby you can help him turn into a business. He's done a lot of work with his hands, is he any good at woodworking? Does he have any other skills that create physical objects? Maybe he can build things and sell them locally on craigslist, or on etsy.

Getting a job so you "have something to do" without any real monetary incentive is insane.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's me, I'm bad with money. E: this ended up being a little more E/N than I intended but it felt good to type it all out and look at it. You can skip if you like.

Just over a year ago, I dropped everything and moved back to my hometown to care for my mom when she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

In some ways it was good because I finally got health insurance myself, found out my anxiety attacks were the result of long un-diagnosed ADHD. I finished a semester of college with all A's and B's for the first time in my life (I'd start with good intentions, then drop or stop going to classes due to anxiety) and had all my old W's and F's from non-attendance wiped from my record so now I have a real shot at actually finishing my degree, now that y'know, I'm nearly 30. The bad - I have no friends here and haven't really met many people, certainly nothing beyond casual friends. My boyfriend lived in SF and is a chef so he works long hours and it's difficult to schedule visits where we get more than 6-8 hours together. There are NO JOBS in my field anywhere close to the level I was working (high end, Michelin-star level fine dining bartender/cocktail historian/sommelier-trained in SF) so I took a lovely pub bartending job for $8 an hour. The place was FILTHY. The most poorly run restaurant I've ever seen in 14 years in the industry. Mold and filth and bugs everywhere, completely mismanaged, none of the staff had ever worked anywhere else so no one seemed to realize how bad it was. I became persona non grata in the eyes of the GM because I made the outrageous suggestion we should work to the standard of the health code, even though the owner liked me and was impressed with my skills and hospitality with the guests.

So, mom is now 7 months cancer free, I got headhunted in a round about way to run the bar program for a Michelin chef's new restaurant with an AMAZING team. The boyfriend wanted me to move in with him, which was perfect even though his place is tiny tiny tiny and expensive, but about 6 blocks from what's potentially my new job. And we'd get to see each other more often, etc. I am not done with the interview process and not guaranteed the position yet, but things are looking good, my resume is impressive, I could get other similar jobs fairly easily but I'd have to work under someone else instead of running a program myself. Then boyfriend has some sort of mid-life crisis or meltdown or badly-handled despression rear it's head and doesn't want me to move in, wants to go on a break, etc. I'm just putting that on the back burner for now because there's nothing I can do to affect it personally in a positive manner and just letting him be while I figure out what to do to make myself happy, even though it's pretty sad and heartbreaking.

So, now I am faced with this dilemma - Do I take all of the money I have (and potentially borrow like $200 from Dad until all the checks due to me come in by mid-january) to take a room in an apartment with a friend of mine? I like the place, good location, like the roommate, wouldnt need to pay much deposit and it's just over $700 for a pretty large room, which in the Bay is unheard of. I'd have a stable place to live while the boyfriend and I figure out our poo poo, would be able to start immediately if I get the dream job or have a little buffer to find another if it doesn't pan out. I could not take the position if I do not move. If I made minimum wage at a new job, even without tips, I'd be improving my wage by 20%-35% depending on which city I took a job in. If I get the dream job, I'd be making a lot, a lot more. I'm okay with eating rice and beans, besides I get fed and booze for free at work and don't have time to go out or be frivolous after work anyhow. My dad is willing to help and support me (I would rather not have to take this but...) I have a lot of valuable items I could sell (huge record collection, huge rare band poster collection, rare punk band tshirts, some gold coins, 1930s-1950s cocktail dresses) if things got dire. OR do I stay in this little town with my mom, take a job at Whole Foods or some poo poo not in my field and try to save every penny I can and move in like a year when I have a deposit saved up and rents have potentially gone even higher?

I'm leaning towards just pulling the trigger and moving because it's pretty soul crushing to be here, I will not be able to make more money unless I become a hooker, I'd like to advance in my career and be back in the city I love and lived in for almost 11 years. As much as I hate to because it's a gamble and would drain my emergency fund I've been building/ruin my budget for 2-3 months I think the potential for money making, career advancement and personal happiness is much greater. I'm scared either way. I am bad with money and don't want to be but I also want to be happy :(

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I'm scared either way. I am bad with money and don't want to be but I also want to be happy :(

Borrow the $200 and move in with your friend, do your best to nail down the new gig, and leave the bf or whatever he is now alone until he decides what's up.

You know that's the right thing to do, because that's how you talked about it in your post.

I think it would be bad with money to not take the chance for upward mobility vs. a sure min wage thing. If it doesn't work out, then you move back and consider alternatives.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If your Mom is in good shape, pull the trigger and get your soul un-crushed. BFC advice is a means, not an end.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pull the trigger and do it. If you can work at that caliber, you'll find someplace else in SF even if this thing falls through, so you'll be OK.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Volmarias posted:

Pull the trigger and do it. If you can work at that caliber, you'll find someplace else in SF even if this thing falls through, so you'll be OK.

And if you can't, you'd rather know that now then when you drive yourself into a big risk position in your 40s.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks y'all. I really appreciate it. I'm being anxious and vacillating because I usually ask friends for help or weighing in on things... Since I've lived up here that's generally been my boyfriend but he's not in the picture at the moment.

I also still have about 6k in a college fund my mom might let me borrow from if we drew up some papers, so that's an idea. I think that's the right choice but I'm panicking about actually making the call.

I love my work, I love taking pride in it, I miss working a place I can be proud of. My finances are in such bad shape because even though I paid very little while taking care of mom, I am making probably less than a third of what I was before she was diagnosed. That adjustment is hard. I'm glad I could do it, but I think it's time for me to live my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Thanks y'all. I really appreciate it. I'm being anxious and vacillating because I usually ask friends for help or weighing in on things... Since I've lived up here that's generally been my boyfriend but he's not in the picture at the moment.

I also still have about 6k in a college fund my mom might let me borrow from if we drew up some papers, so that's an idea. I think that's the right choice but I'm panicking about actually making the call.

I love my work, I love taking pride in it, I miss working a place I can be proud of. My finances are in such bad shape because even though I paid very little while taking care of mom, I am making probably less than a third of what I was before she was diagnosed. That adjustment is hard. I'm glad I could do it, but I think it's time for me to live my life.
Where you're at sound bad, you made a good argument to move back to SF.

College fund being a 529? You can't just take the money out for non-educational stuff.

• Locked thread