Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jibo posted:

I,ve never had Terratoma last more than a couple seconds with the amount of bullets flying around but I feel like It Lives rarely lasts long enough to spawn it.

If you have decent damage you can usually kill It Lives before it gets a chance to spawn much. Its when I'm stuck with a low damage run that I have trouble with the fight. Can't damage It Lives fast enough to get out of the spawning stage, and if it summons Terratoma I'm basically guaranteed to take a hit. Terratoma dies fast but as a result floods with the room with spiders fast and trying to dodge them and bullets at the same time is a pain.

I really hate Terratoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

I think someone posted a seed search tool and I can't find it anymore. Was I just hallucinating?

edit: http://www.bindingofseeds.com/ not a hallucination

Is that just for PC seeds? I'd like to get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl before I update.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is that just for PC seeds? I'd like to get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl before I update.

They aren't different seeds. If you get different results, it means you're on the wrong difficulty or don't have the items unlocked.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Would not having the unlocks for 900 and 999 coins donated really change every single other pick up in a seed?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
No. Being on the wrong difficulty will.

I've been using PC seeds on Vita the whole time I've been playing, and I've used a seed from my Vita on PC.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just tried the seed 0J9E 13VB, which is supposed to have Mongo Baby in the first treasure room. The level is slightly different but on both hard and normal the treasure room contains the Wafer. You don't have to unlock the Mongo Baby, so either the seeds have changed upon updating the game or there's some other difference.

http://www.bindingofseeds.com/seeds/0J9E13VB

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
FINALLY FOUND GODHEAD! IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

I didn't even need the sharp plug (just the D6).

One achievement left. Might stream that tomorrow.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Which one should I pick? For some reason I feel a bit stumped about what to choose.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whenever I see something like that I always just chance it because what's life without some risk to keep things fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't win many rounds of Isaac.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ok, let's just toss a coin, bald king man for left and half a church roof for right.

EDIT: Half a church roof wins 2/3

EDIT: Right one was the Book of Sin

Not sure if that's worth replacing Book of Belial over.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 24, 2014

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

Not sure if that's worth replacing Book of Belial over.

Not really. IMO Book of Belial is one of the best items in the game. Not only can it be a savior on a run where you have poor damage but it's also good enough that even with high damage you can carry it with you to the end game to get that little extra boost. That's why I feel like in both this game and the original, Judas is one of the most powerful characters in the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Book also guarantees a devil room in Rebirth, so it's really powerful to carry around. It really is one of the best items.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Oh god the pain is (almost) over :sweatdrop:
Now "only" to find this and D100...

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Book also guarantees a devil room in Rebirth, so it's really powerful to carry around. It really is one of the best items.

SuicideSnowman posted:

Not really. IMO Book of Belial is one of the best items in the game. Not only can it be a savior on a run where you have poor damage but it's also good enough that even with high damage you can carry it with you to the end game to get that little extra boost. That's why I feel like in both this game and the original, Judas is one of the most powerful characters in the game.

Well gently caress.

Currently in Dark room with the Book of Sin. The soul/sin hearts have been useful, but I have enough loving keys already Jesus Christ.

By the way, is there an upper limit to damage? I always got that impression from the stats screen.

EDIT: Double Dark Adversary. I don't think I need to say what happened next.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

No real limit to damage afaik. The stat screen is only an approximation.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ThaumPenguin posted:

By the way, is there an upper limit to damage? I always got that impression from the stats screen.

if there is a limit, it's one of the programming-limitation variety rather than a hard-coded one because it seems to go up pretty drat far

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Hada pretty powerful run just now. (Seed: GB60 00XC). Death's Touch + buncha damage + buncha tears ups + Ouija Board + Orbiting Tears. Also hit a Forget Me Now on one of the Cave floors as well as a 5 dice room which let me get better items. Killed Satan and It Lives! really quick. Brought a Chaos Card to The Lamb's fight, but missed and still killed him in a matter of seconds.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried going back and playing the original game again? After 170+ hours, I went back and did. It's crazy how lovely the game looks, how much brown and gray there is, how empty all the rooms look, etc. The biggest thing was forgetting that picking up any non-coin item causes Isaac to stop and freeze in place.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Has anyone tried going back and playing the original game again? After 170+ hours, I went back and did. It's crazy how lovely the game looks, how much brown and gray there is, how empty all the rooms look, etc. The biggest thing was forgetting that picking up any non-coin item causes Isaac to stop and freeze in place.

I did, and I immediately went back to Rebirth. It's just that much more of an improvement.

Here's a cool thing you can do with the Jar. If you use it in a Super Secret Eternal Heart or Black Heart room, it'll spit out those kinds of hearts instead of any stored red hearts.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Can you make chad spawn hearts in eternal heart secret rooms? Or any other heart spawner i guess

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Like if you took fanny pack or gimpy and something like the razor would those be affected

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yes, though chad only spawns hearts after a fight.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
After finding Dr. Fetus early into an Isaac D6 run, I failed to reroll anything of use, until I came across a Tiny Planet. For science, I decided to see what happens. It does not synergize well, unless of course you want uncontrollable bombs flinging all over the place. RIP that run.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I'm sure it's just like the red heart rooms and dark bum. It looks like each of those rooms is somehow coded to only allow the types of hearts that spawn there. Maybe it's something with the seed system and preventing those rooms from ever rarely spawning the wrong type of heart,

So I'd say the same thing would happen when a soul heart is forced to become a red heart. Any hearts become the type for that room when generated there.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So hey, if you want to glitch the game the gently caress out a little bit, get max tear rate + The Parasite + Cricket's Body + Piercing Tears and make it to The Chest. You will fill the entire screen with tiny little tears and literally everything will die in seconds, but some weird poo poo might happen, like Isaac's head just disappearing for no discernible reason or the game freezing up for a few heart-stopping seconds.

I loving love this game.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I FINALLY finished the Beans! challenge. It was Bob's Brain and Fate that carried the day in the end, with some help from a Ball of Bandages and honorable mention to Abel. Random items in gold chests are a life saver. I almost reset when I used a Bombs Are Key pill, too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Managed to run into Godhead.

Unfortunately I had Dr. Fetus, so I couldn't make good use of it. (Curse of the Blind! :argh:) Even with Holy Mantle I lost to Satan. That item is so bad now. :negative:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I just beat ??? with ??? and it said I unlocked the Baby Crow, which I'd already unlocked as Eve. No new achievement, and I don't think I unlocked the right item. I remember this being an issue with the original game, but how the actual gently caress did they not fix it for Rebirth? :psyduck:

e: Under ??? it's marked that I completed The Chest, so like. Am I good, or?
e2: Closing the game and opening it back up seemed to fix it.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 24, 2014

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Ugato posted:

I'm sure it's just like the red heart rooms and dark bum. It looks like each of those rooms is somehow coded to only allow the types of hearts that spawn there. Maybe it's something with the seed system and preventing those rooms from ever rarely spawning the wrong type of heart,

So I'd say the same thing would happen when a soul heart is forced to become a red heart. Any hearts become the type for that room when generated there.

It's because of the way item drops work in normal rooms: If there's a bomb spawn, it can drop a bomb, 1+1 bombs, a troll bomb or homing troll bomb. For hearts it can be 1/2, 1, 1+1, soul, black or eternal. It's coded as a global rule for that type of drop so it'll work everywhere and from any source: spawn in room, dropped by monster, spawned by item etc. They coded special rules for those heart rooms so you always get the right pickup on the floor, and it has the nice bonus of also applying to self spawned items. I guess they realised this and figured it was a nice synergy/thing for players to work out.

Freelancepolice
Apr 8, 2008
I just had a good satan run with Judas. It wasn't ridiculously OP but Satan melted pretty quickly. I'm still having the most trouble having good runs with Lazarus, must just be luck but I rarely have an OP build with him.

Brimstone, Krampus head, the mark, proptosis, chemical peel and a couple of raise every stat items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K8LMudLkhA

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
High damage piercing bouncing double shots make short work or just about everything, but still let you get hit a little so you feel like you're using skill to get through fights. Most enjoyable Isaac run on hard I've had, and The Lamb took a beating.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Is there still a "bug" with having half a red heart and a bunch of soul/evil hearts? I'm playing on PC and maybe it's intended behaviour and I'm just too stupid but it's happened twice now. Once I took a devil deal for 3 hearts when I had half a red heart and 3 soul hearts and ended up with the devil deal and half a red heart and 3 soul hearts.

Just now I got Guppy's Paw from a Curse room on the first floor and used it right away and it gave me 3 soul hearts and I still had half a red heart, which gave me another 3 soul hearts after using Guppy's Paw again. This is on 1.032 or whatever the newest patch is so :shrug:

PS: I can only recommend you try out this Cain seed I'm playing through right now because look at my items after the item room on Caves 1:

There's also a D4 dice room just to the left of the Caves 1 item room though it didn't reroll anything for me apparently.

Edit: Mom's knife and Guppy's Collar came from a devil deal on floor two. I'm hoping to complete Guppy and/or get more HP ups for some more soul hearts

e2: Okay game, you want me to win this run, I get it. This is my potential fifth Guppy item and I'm in the Depths 1 curse room, no other items picked up yet on this floor :v:

abraxas fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 24, 2014

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

kemikalkadet posted:

It's because of the way item drops work in normal rooms: If there's a bomb spawn, it can drop a bomb, 1+1 bombs, a troll bomb or homing troll bomb. For hearts it can be 1/2, 1, 1+1, soul, black or eternal. It's coded as a global rule for that type of drop so it'll work everywhere and from any source: spawn in room, dropped by monster, spawned by item etc. They coded special rules for those heart rooms so you always get the right pickup on the floor, and it has the nice bonus of also applying to self spawned items. I guess they realised this and figured it was a nice synergy/thing for players to work out.

So I imagine the same thing applies to the normal room which spawns a sin heart behind metal blocks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fetus posted:

Managed to run into Godhead.

Unfortunately I had Dr. Fetus, so I couldn't make good use of it. (Curse of the Blind! :argh:) Even with Holy Mantle I lost to Satan. That item is so bad now. :negative:

would you say that nobody loves dr. fetus now

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Oh poo poo I didn't know sacred heart gave you full health!

I had Cancer (the Zodiac, not trinket) and the sharp plug and have been having a poo poo run, taking hits all over the place. I finally get a joker card thanks to a skull and Samson's chain (another item for the collection) and, of course, only had 3 soul hearts in the god room. I blow up the angel and reroll it. I had 2 hearts left and just start rerolling. I got breath of life an on my last reroll I get sacred heart!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I once picked up soy milk late during a good Eve run and somehow kept my damage to Max. I'm not sure why it didn't cause my damage to drop to tiny values. I don't remember what I had on me, but I definitely had a crazy mix happening of huge coal bouncing double-shot scythes with Cricket's splitting bullets thing. I really should have checked closer, because it makes soy milk a no brainer.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Did you have Libra? That's a really good combo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Soy Milk is pretty good in general with anything that makes your fire rate really slow, except for brimstone lasers. It's damage/5, delay between shots/10 and only sucks normally because shot delay isn't granular enough to handle it with normal fire rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Soy Milk is pretty good in general with anything that makes your fire rate really slow, except for brimstone lasers. It's damage/5, delay between shots/10 and only sucks normally because shot delay isn't granular enough to handle it with normal fire rates.

It's great with ipecac, and by great I mean it gives you ipecac that does roughly the same amount of damage as Judas with the book of belial but also can explode and hurt you. So yeah, great.

edit: by the way, does anyone have a link to a 100% save file? My keyboard has a weird ghosting issue and it makes the hairball challenge an exercise in frustration, so I'm not going to bother. Or feel free to angrypost about people you don't know cheating in video games, whichever. If you want something to get really angry about, yesterday I got Death's Touch, the Parasite, Ipecac and Cricket's Body, but then I forgot to write down the seed :smith:

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 24, 2014