Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

CommonShore posted:

And really those kinds of donations are the same as the backroom bonuses. They make a big deal out of the few times that they're super generous to people to help whitewash the times that people get hosed over, as if being nice to a guy one time balances out the time that some other guy got screwed. It would be just much better if they were decent and consistent.

Multiple fighters have said that the UFC pays them more than they are contracted to receive EVERY fight. And that isn't counting the POTN bonuses.

I don't know of any other sports organization that does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i don't know who campbell mclaren is, but immediately after the fight schultz said "i just found out i was fighting today". why would art davie lie to me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Multiple fighters have said that the UFC pays them more than they are contracted to receive EVERY fight. And that isn't counting the POTN bonuses.

Right, that's the problem - guys who have been critical of the UFC in any way have said that they'd suddenly find those bonuses drying up. If they give them the bonus every fight, they should just put it on the contracts so that it can't be used as some kind of punitive measure against labour dissent.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

other sports organizations have players unions were they negotiate salaries and benefits collectively, so their livelihoods aren't susceptible to the fickle whims of vindictive criminals, iirc

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Anyway, here's an interview with Rampage where he sounds slightly more grownup than usual -

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/quinton-rampage-jackson-on-past-disappointments-the-future-and-love-of-the-fight-122214

Right at the beginning of the phone call Jay Glazer calls him "Quilton" :ughh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

i don't know who campbell mclaren is, but immediately after the fight schultz said "i just found out i was fighting today". why would art davie lie to me

Campbell MacLaren was the producer and Minister of Hype for the first 20 or so UFCs. It was his job to assemble the tale of the tape, come up with disciplines for the fighters on the broadcast, etc. He's the guy who dubbed Tank Abbot a "pit fighter" because they didn't want to display "street fighter" on an octagonal card. Art Davie has been in the conversation chain too.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CommonShore posted:

Right, that's the problem - guys who have been critical of the UFC in any way have said that they'd suddenly find those bonuses drying up. If they give them the bonus every fight, they should just put it on the contracts so that it can't be used as some kind of punitive measure against labour dissent.

Punitive to receive the pay that you signed up for?

Fighters shouldn't be signing contracts to fight in anticipation of a back room bonus. I don't accept job offers because last year they gave me a Christmas bonus.

david carmichael posted:

other sports organizations have players unions were they negotiate salaries and benefits collectively, so their livelihoods aren't susceptible to the fickle whims of vindictive criminals, iirc

Which combat sports organization has unions?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I don't think that's an "even if" statement, really. Daniel Cormier is either the best or second-best light heavyweight in the world. I would expect most really good fighters to lose to him. It's like saying "Mark Hunt is a really good fighter, even if he did lose to JDS".

1) daniel cormier has beaten pat cummins and dan henderson at lhw. if he wins against jon jones then yes yes greatest of all time and what not. but let's not get ahead of ourselves here

2) without getting into how apt your metaphor is its worth noting that convincing people "mark hunt is a really good fighter, despite the outcome of all of his fights" is not an easy task

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
mark hunt exists entirely outside of the definitions of good or bad

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

bokamotoESPN posted:

Dominick Cruz says this ACL will be "quick fix" compared to the last. Committed to being back in one year, probably immediately title fight.

Dominick Cruz coaches, teammates seen in the background shaking their heads sadly, looking resigned

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

CommonShore posted:

I can't think of anyone who said they were drying up except Randy, who didn't at all understand how his signing bonus was structured because mma fighters are really dumb.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfZ2rtp10nM&t=47s

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jon Jones can't read.
He didn't know he was calling those kids faggots on instagram after all.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7IWo5DL0XE
Looks like a horrible movie, but Ronda

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

im up to ufc 40 babey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgLWGJ0-8o

this marks the debut of the gladiator/face the pain intro

robbie lawler is fighting a man called "Tiki"
robbie lawler: "i don't fear my opponent and he shouldn't fear me. maybe after i hit him a few times he might show some fear but i don't know."

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 23, 2014

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The alpha male fight club calendar is cool http://m.imgur.com/a/VjeFx

I counted and those are 24 males. The Greek alphabet had 24 letters. Confidence?

niethan fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 23, 2014

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
That's gay.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
now I'm extra sad Cruz died

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
What is even supposed to be going on there

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I am now wholly convinced this is the greatest sport on the face of the planet

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I need a copy of that for a twink obsessed friend.

And myself.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

What is even supposed to be going on there

theyre all recreations of Scenes from the movie, Fight club.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

acai moonsault posted:

im up to ufc 40 babey

lmfao

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think we totally misunderstood what happened on TUF Live. When TAM pounced around naked in Cruz' team's workout room, that wasn't a prank — it was a calendar shoot.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I scrolled through so fast to avoid anyone at work realizing how gay I am that I didn't even notice that they're fight club shot re-creations

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Kanthulhu posted:

That's gay.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lol TJ is all the way in the back there

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
This is the best thread on the entire internet.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Merry Xmas you guys. This board reminds me that this dumb, gay, great sport is in fact the dumbest, gayest, greatest sport.

Also, one day Faber is going to discover the concept of irony and it is going to blow his mind.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Someone tell the Chael story about Hendo not holding someone down, but staring them down.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Lets all take avs from this thing and in the spirit of xmas, donate money to those who cannot. And then in the true spirit of xmas, force it on those who don't want it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kanthulhu posted:

That's gay.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

niethan posted:

The alpha male fight club calendar is cool http://m.imgur.com/a/VjeFx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpENE6yPV4

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

acai moonsault posted:

im up to ufc 40 babey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgLWGJ0-8o

this marks the debut of the gladiator/face the pain intro

robbie lawler is fighting a man called "Tiki"
robbie lawler: "i don't fear my opponent and he shouldn't fear me. maybe after i hit him a few times he might show some fear but i don't know."
lol props for the Robbie juxtaposition

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lets all take avs from this thing and in the spirit of xmas, donate money to those who cannot. And then in the true spirit of xmas, force it on those who don't want it.

give me an av that is gayer than my previous av that said "I'm gay"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Skimming the MMAFighting frontpage right now I'm seeing...

- Ronda in the new Entourage trailer
- Cruz saying he's definitely not retiring
- Erick Silva says his septum surgery gave him the win
- Dodson is considering a 135 run once he's fully rehabbed (which will be soon)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

- Dodson is considering a 135 run once he's fully rehabbed (which will be soon)

cool, but 125 really, really needs john dodson

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm still awaiting his triumphant return to Ninja Warrior.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Both divisions need a healthy and improving Dodson. I would say 135 right now, 125 in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He does make a really good foil for Mighty Mouse. He's also pretty much the only guy who can match his speed.

• Locked thread