Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm American, but just saying. We're kind of your fault.

"kind of"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hcreight posted:

One of the things that bugged me about Transparent (which I loved overall) was that they ripped the "character who struggles to maintain relationships partially because he was statutory raped as a teen" storyline straight out of SFU's playbook.

I forgot about that, who was involved in that again?

Anyway, the last couple of episodes are wobbly, overloading with soap operatics that I can easily see swamping this show in later seasons rather than the honest interactions that grabbed me initially. They just love grinding your face into the fact these people are almost cartoonishly grubby people. But maybe that's not too far from the truth? Anyway, still really interested to see how things progress next season.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a Welsh, I wholeheartedly back this statement ;)

The only denizens of that damp rock more wretched than the English are the Welsh. Filthy sheep lovers the lot of you.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rarity posted:

Without England you wouldn't have Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Misfits, Rome, Spaced, Orphan Black, Black Mirror, State of Play, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Jimmy McNulty, Captain Picard, House, Nick Brody, Stringer Bell, Al Swearengen, Bilbo Baggins and Desmond from Lost.

Captain Picard is French. :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hcreight posted:

Speaking of Christmas specials I'm having trouble finding any TV listings for the version of A Christmas Carol starring Jimmy McNulty and his uncle Patrick Stewart and it's making me sad.

I haven't seen that one or even the one with Mickey and Scrooge McDuck, but on the other hand I've had to change the channel away from that shitawful Zemeckis meat-puppet CG adaptation at least 10 different times.

Rarity posted:

Without England you wouldn't have Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Misfits, Rome, Spaced, Orphan Black, Black Mirror, State of Play, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Jimmy McNulty, Captain Picard, House, Nick Brody, Stringer Bell, Al Swearengen, Bilbo Baggins and Desmond from Lost.

Your move, America :colbert::britain::colbert:

Orphan Black is a BBC America show and the furthest from America its filming goes is Canada. :c00lbert::911::c00lbert:

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 23, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe you started with Doctor Who, Rar.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

I haven't seen that one or even the one with Mickey and Scrooge McDuck, but on the other hand I've had to change the channel away from that shitawful Zemeckis meat-puppet CG adaptation at least 10 different times.

Orphan Black is a BBC America show and the furthest from America its filming goes is Canada. :c00lbert::911::c00lbert:

BBC America wouldn't exist without the BBC.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wandle Cax posted:

BBC America wouldn't exist without the BBC.

That doesn't necessarily mean Orphan Black wouldn't. Since it's not a British show and all.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also half the poo poo you listed is American or partially American shows. So without England....we would have to pay better actors more money to take the place of cheaper English actors. Gasp, shock, what a terrible fate for us!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Update on Shageletic's Great Christmas Streaming Marathon (aka Gotta Use Up the Free Prime Real Quick): Alpha House is as good as advertised. Seventh episode in and it just keeps on getting better. The Anti-West Wing, without Veep's scathing dialogue but with characters you actually care about! Great job making people I should loathe interesting and routable! I don't know why I doubted the idea of having the cast be completely Republican, it really works here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope you watched Transparent already! also Mozart in the Jungle is out like....tomorrow, right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bown posted:

I hope you watched Transparent already! also Mozart in the Jungle is out like....tomorrow, right?

I have my day cleared.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

The only denizens of that damp rock more wretched than the English are the Welsh. Filthy sheep lovers the lot of you.

The Welsh were the English before the English were English. Inception bong.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
While I was in Cali for the holidays, I saw an ad for Galavant that made it sound more like a miniseries than a proper television series. Is that really the case? I was looking forward to a potentially endless run of that sure-to-be-the-most-amazing-medieval-musical-series ever.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
No, looks like they're doing 2 episodes a night for 4 weeks or something, from what I can tell.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sober posted:

No, looks like they're doing 2 episodes a night for 4 weeks or something, from what I can tell.

It's two a WEEK for four weeks. Eight episodes for the first season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A burn-off is sort of like a mini-series, in that it won't be around for very long.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Shageletic posted:

I forgot about that, who was involved in that again?

Tambor's son/Jay Duplass's character. They mention a few times that he lost his virginity to a twentysomething girl and there's a scene of looking through old stuff for memories of the girl. I don't think the implications are discussed as openly as with Nate on SFU, but the same context is there.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

hcreight posted:

Tambor's son/Jay Duplass's character. They mention a few times that he lost his virginity to a twentysomething girl and there's a scene of looking through old stuff for memories of the girl. I don't think the implications are discussed as openly as with Nate on SFU, but the same context is there.
I did not watch SFU (although I guess any comparisons made b/w that and Transparent could be 'incriminating' seeing as Jill Soloway was a writer on SFU), so I don't really know the context for the details there, but I hadn't noticed that specific trope played out too often. And yes, though it is clear shows generally write more about women in abusive relationships I don't think it should discount one where a male character was a victim of statutory rape from an authority figure. Considering ultimately he starts chasing another authority figure with Katherine Hahn as the rabbi and messing that up.

I mean, I am not knowledgeable enough to talk specifically about men (and young men) being raped, so I don't know if I have any bit of the authority to say it was anything close to equivalent of male prison rape, but I don't think the issue was brought up in a wishy-washy way to be played for laughs either, as it should not be if we're talking about it in any serious light.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

hcreight posted:

He is still loving his old babysitter who started loving him when he was thirteen or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

We prefer 'sheep enthusiasts', thank you very much.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hcreight posted:

I'd say the implications are discussed very openly, because in the final episode, she reveals their son to him, who must be 17 or 18, and who immediately starts referring to Duplass' character as his father.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hcreight posted:

I didn't mean in Transparent, I just watched that. Its obvious as all hell. But I meant in SFU. Nate? I don't even remember that storyline. Sounds creepy!

Bown posted:

Finished it off, kinda ambivalent (hoping it was great, slightly disappointed), posted about it last page.

EDIT: Yeah, the implication that Josh is profoundly hosed up (as Ali so terribly said, he's a "love addict) with women possibly stemming from the indecent relationship he had when he was fifteen saves that plot line.

Hoping that the show isn't as narcissistic and nasty as the characters turned out to be next season.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 23, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Transparent is like if Tennessee Williams wrote The Royal Tenenbaums. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I didn't mean in Transparent, I just watched that. Its obvious as all hell. But I meant in SFU. Nate? I don't even remember that storyline. Sounds creepy!

It is only briefly touched upon, but it was when they introduce Ruth's sister, and in one episode they say that David and Nate were staying with her and 15 year old Nate got banged by some lady friend of hers.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

raditts posted:

Well really Orphan Black is paid for by Bell Media, and it would be much worse if it aired on say CTV, so England get's a win there.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'll be quoting this thread title when I'm watching the EastEnders Christmas Depression Episode in a couple of days... It's still better than any of the remaining US soap. (I miss you Passions...)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WeTV is going to air a show next year called "Sex Box." The premise of the show is that couples will talk to a panel of experts and then at the end of the episode they will go into a camera free, soundproof room on the set to have sex.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think that is also a British show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

WeTV is going to air a show next year called "Sex Box." The premise of the show is that couples will talk to a panel of experts and then at the end of the episode they will go into a camera free, soundproof room on the set to have sex.

Already aired in England.

gently caress You England.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sorry, can't. We're busy with your mum. All of us.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Someone just told me Black Mirror is like the Twilight Zone, is this true? And if so is it good?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Someone just told me Black Mirror is like the Twilight Zone, is this true? And if so is it good?

Yes and yes. Watch it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I thought the Sex Box was the console that Mass Effect debuted on

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Yeah I remember it from Charlie Brooker's 2013 wipe.

I'm really looking to his 2014 special, it's great to have one hour a year when you can reflect on how garbage other peoples' television is too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Updates concerning the new Evil Dead TV show starring Bruce Campbell, and on Starz:

http://io9.com/the-evil-dead-show-will-have-two-new-leads-along-with-a-1674697251

Good news, tons of gore and blood and humor.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah I remember it from Charlie Brooker's 2013 wipe.

I'm really looking to his 2014 special, it's great to have one hour a year when you can reflect on how garbage other peoples' television is too.

I was hoping we'd get a new end of year Wipe! BBC2 on 30 December it is!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

One step closer to an actual Sex House reality show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

I suppose that makes sense, the people in the commercial did look distinctly British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I suppose that makes sense, the people in the commercial did look distinctly British.

Are you saying all British people look alike?

Because they totally do. An ugly lot if there ever was one.

• Locked thread