Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Mak0rz posted:

Edit: I just did it again by deleting ZDoom and all of its config files, reinstalling it, and trying to run HEXDD.WAD as an IWAD. I get a fully-playable Strife! :psyduck:
:psyduck: indeed. How the hell is that even possible? You're absolutely certain you don't have Strife installed anywhere? You did say "on this computer," so just spitballing here, but is there any chance you're networked with another computer that does have Strife installed, and it's somehow detecting it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

I just noticed they started releasing 64-bit builds of ZDoom. Any reason to use (or not use) it at all?

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/

You shouldn't have any problems running it, unless for some reason you use it in conjunction with a 32 bit executable plugin, if zdoom even supports that. No reason not to run it really.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RiffRaff1138 posted:

:psyduck: indeed. How the hell is that even possible? You're absolutely certain you don't have Strife installed anywhere? You did say "on this computer," so just spitballing here, but is there any chance you're networked with another computer that does have Strife installed, and it's somehow detecting it?

Okay I'm an idiot. Apparently I do have Strife installed on this computer, though I don't remember doing it. I thought I only installed/played it on my girlfriend's PC :sweatdrop:. I had to look at the ZDoom launch log to see what it was loading, and sure enough...

I still thought it was odd, though. Is ZDoom preconfigured to look for compatible WADs in the Steam directory? Because I sure as hell never pointed the port there.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Mak0rz posted:

I still thought it was odd, though. Is ZDoom preconfigured to look for compatible WADs in the Steam directory? Because I sure as hell never pointed the port there.
It is. I can't find on the changelog when Steam detection in general was added, but it was a few months ago, I think? Detection for the Steam version of Strife in particular was added the 12th of this month.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I realized what I did after fiddling with more things. I was running it as an IWAD, and running it as a PWAD fixed things. I can't re-create the error after doing that.

But here's the thing: I have never once played, installed, or had the WAD for Strife on this computer. It was a fresh, never before used version of the newest ZDoom SVN, so there was no "last game played"...

Edit: I just did it again by deleting ZDoom and all of its config files, reinstalling it, and trying to run HEXDD.WAD as an IWAD. I get a fully-playable Strife! :psyduck:
Theres a system in ZDoom that reads IWADs out of your Steam folder so you don't have to copy them over. If you have Veteran Edition installed, maybe someone hosed up adding the detection for that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RiffRaff1138 posted:

It is. I can't find on the changelog when Steam detection in general was added, but it was a few months ago, I think?
If "84" counts as "a few", then yes.
Randy Heit authored on Dec 6, 2007

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Detection for the Steam version of Strife in particular was added the 12th of this month.
These three commits more precisely:
https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/commit/86372fce34d84e75ba424e20af677cfcfb5cd488
https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/commit/8ee0554d567a693f7bff81e3fe8503b15ace716d
https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/commit/b14eded8d8f6d4e756299f43768178dbe188b4ec

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To resurrect the System Shock 2 discussion from like 10 pages ago has anyone given the new SCP mod a try? It sounds like it's meant to be what ADaoB should've been, general purpose-bug fixes without any of the dumb ~lore changes~. The new mod manager they made from SS2Tool 5.3 is kind of slick too, you can easily turn individual mods on and off for testing to see whether you like them or not.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

To resurrect the System Shock 2 discussion from like 10 pages ago has anyone given the new SCP mod a try? It sounds like it's meant to be what ADaoB should've been, general purpose-bug fixes without any of the dumb ~lore changes~. The new mod manager they made from SS2Tool 5.3 is kind of slick too, you can easily turn individual mods on and off for testing to see whether you like them or not.

Oh, is SCP actually released now? It's been Almost Done™ for something like a year and I kind of stopped expecting it to ever be finished.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Okay I'm an idiot. Apparently I do have Strife installed on this computer, though I don't remember doing it. I thought I only installed/played it on my girlfriend's PC :sweatdrop:. I had to look at the ZDoom launch log to see what it was loading, and sure enough...

Aww, I was hoping your computer gained sentience and constructed Strife from nothing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Zandronium and Zdoom will actually create proper Doom 2 from nothing if you try and play a networked game with the BFG edition wads, since there's some incompatibilities in online play that were never accounted for in the original release.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I suppose you meant Zandronum and ZDaemon; ZDoom does not do any particular hacking around for netgames involving BFG edition.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_3:_BFG_Edition#Source_port_support

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If you're looking for new UT99 maps, ut99.org recently did a contest where mappers had to create maps that were no larger than 512kb. The contest included maps for DM, CTF, and, surprisingly, Domination. You can pick up all of the maps here, and read some reviews about how they play with bots (because seriously, who's going to play these maps online when CTF-Duku and DM-Deck16][ are played over and over?) here.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 22, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

SavageMessiah posted:

I know this has come up before, but I couldn't find the answer. What's the best quake sourceport if you're looking for the a software rendered, vanilla-ish, singleplayer experience?

As one of the resident Quake nerds I'll chime in on this too. Low-effort post so not many links. :-)

qbism Super 8 is neat, fun, and nostalgic in a way, but fairly different from vanilla Quake.

Engoo is probably the flagship vanilla-ish software renderer Quake these days. It has presets to try to mimic various old Quake versions.

QuakeSpasm and Fitzquake Mark V look pretty vanilla if you turn down/off the texture filtering. I guess things like water warping would still be "not right". I also noticed that Fitzquake Mark V has a more recent "unsupported" release (mentioned in its func_msgboard thread http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60831&start=507 ) that adds a "WinQuake renderer" ... not sure what is involved there.

The experimental builds of FTE also now have a "vanilla" setting (which I haven't tried). Discussed some at http://quakeone.com/news/site-news/11029-back-roots.html . Although FTE is usually thought of as a QW client, it can also play the singleplayer campaign.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

closeted republican posted:

If you're looking for new UT99 maps, ut99.org recently did a contest where mappers had to create maps that were no larger than 512kb. The contest included maps for DM, CTF, and, surprisingly, Domination. You can pick up all of the maps here, and read some reviews about how they play with bots (because seriously, who's going to play these maps online when CTF-Duku and DM-Deck16][ are played over and over?) here.

When I am king, all games will require UT'99-level bots in order to be sold on this planet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When I am king, all games will require UT'99-level bots in order to be sold on this planet.

You've got my vote.

If you start a party that aims to make the constitutional changes required to vote a king in place, you have my vote for that too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Genocyber posted:

Aww, I was hoping your computer gained sentience and constructed Strife from nothing.

Haha, I was expecting a more reasonable, yet still bizarre, scenario, like the ZDoom team accidentally shipping the latest SVN with the Strife WAD or something.

Anyway, what's the name of that supposedly awesome Hexen mod that makes the game playable/enjoyable?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Anyway, what's the name of that supposedly awesome Hexen mod that makes the game playable/enjoyable?

Sounds like Wrath of Cronos.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Probably Serpent: Resurrection?

Dominic White posted:

Looks like Serpent: Resurrection is going to be getting one last big update in time for Christmas.

For those who haven't played it, it's an enormous mod for Hexen that turns it into the RPG/FPS hybrid that it always wanted to be. Lots more weapons and abilities. Four characters each with a full set of 7 weapons, most (all?) with alt-fires. RPG stat system, magic system, and much more open levels. There's villages and shops and somewhat more plot, too. It was really good back in the day, aside from some pacing issues in the first couple maps. It's full game length, and significantly longer than vanilla Hexen.

The change-log for the update is pretty lengthy. Seems it's mostly balancing and tuning and making it look a little swankier. Also an (optional) new soundtrack that apparently sounds more fantasy-adventure'y, rather than chiptuney.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So 32in24-14 just happened yesterday, and I spent a not-insignificant portion of it doing this:

(...and also a Kumamon)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ToxicFrog posted:

That's the one. Thanks!

E:

Shadow Hog posted:

So 32in24-14 just happened yesterday, and I spent a not-insignificant portion of it doing this:

(...and also a Kumamon)

Is that portrait... made of sectors? :psyduck:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 22, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

Is that portrait... made of sectors? :psyduck:
Indeed it is. Slime Trail City in software renderers, too.

Although I should've used a lower setting when I posterized the original image in Photoshop. 5 shades was an incredible amount of work; 2-3 shades would've probably been more sane.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

That's the one. Thanks!

Sadly it looks like, while they've posted the changelog for the new version, they haven't uploaded the actual files anywhere yet.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A month ago, I went on a binge and downloaded as many good-sounding UT99 CTF maps as I could. In most of the maps, the bots played just as well as they do in the stock maps thanks to decent pathing. They are amazing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

closeted republican posted:

A month ago, I went on a binge and downloaded as many good-sounding UT99 CTF maps as I could. In most of the maps, the bots played just as well as they do in the stock maps thanks to decent pathing. They are amazing.

The amazing ease of setting up decent pathing in UnrealEd also helps a whole lot. Doubly so when you notice that the main paths are just a backbone — the bots can deviate and even find new connections if the map is done right.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

The experimental builds of FTE also now have a "vanilla" setting (which I haven't tried). Discussed some at http://quakeone.com/news/site-news/11029-back-roots.html . Although FTE is usually thought of as a QW client, it can also play the singleplayer campaign.

Quick addendum to this: the fteqw.com domain apparently just expired, but you can also grab experimental Windows FTE builds from http://triptohell.info/moodles/win64/ (or pop up and over into other directories for Linux builds).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh, is SCP actually released now? It's been Almost Done™ for something like a year and I kind of stopped expecting it to ever be finished.
Yeah, it's the Beta release so who knows how long it will take to properly "finish".

I was actually wrong earlier, there's an even newer release of SS2Tool (6.0 Beta) that bakes in most of the standard bugfixes without SCP and has an option to completely reset/clean a SS2 installation without requiring the user to delete/modify/update anything to ensure it is compatible with the latest and greatest set of mods. That's pretty clever, I think. Does blow away your key bindings though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

New version isn't out yet, so it might slip into January. Really looking forward to it, though - all it really needed was a bit more polish, and that's exactly what's happening. Having a full set of weapons for every character with altfires makes the core gameplay SO much more interesting. It's like the platonic ideal of Hexen.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 23, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tippis posted:

The amazing ease of setting up decent pathing in UnrealEd also helps a whole lot. Doubly so when you notice that the main paths are just a backbone — the bots can deviate and even find new connections if the map is done right.

That is why I always have UT 99 installed on every PC/laptop/whatever I own. You can just download a bunch of maps or play stock/bonus pack maps and you'll have a good time just with bots or host a server with friends and add an army of them and have a blast.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's too bad that after the smart and adaptive bots of UT99/UT2k4 the UT3 bots are dumb as bricks and do normal AI cheating.

The Furious Pirate
Oct 10, 2005
ARGH MATEY!
Happy birthday to Heretic, which just turned 20 today. Really one of my favorites, even being basically a fantasy reskin of Doom.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Furious Pirate posted:

Happy birthday to Heretic, which just turned 20 today. Really one of my favorites, even being basically a fantasy reskin of Doom.

This Heretic mod (by the Russian Overkill guy + a team of others) is cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4gJcsjeoA

Akimbo quad-shotguns? Don't mind if I do!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thEbQkcjUWk

Hey Jerry, looks like you got some demons comin' outta your teleporter! Sure, one former human there, one imp there, then WHAM :haw:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm trying to get switches working in GZDoom Builder. It seems to be doing everything now except changing to the used texture when activated, and I can't seem to figure out why. That's supposed to happen automatically, right?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Heads-up that the Mapcore Quake 3 15th Anniversary Contest is over. This was a contest for FFA maps... results here: http://www.mapcore.org/page/features/_/articles/mapcores-quake-3-15th-anniversary-contest-r51

That post includes a link to a "submission pack", but also says that a "contest map pack" will be prepared and uploaded to LvL later (don't know how/if these packs will differ). I'm away from home and can't really try them out right now, but I've played a few of them with bots, including the 3rd-place map, and had fun! Nice to poke back into Q3 custom maps. Some of them are really new-school with custom models and textures and fancy brushwork and layouts, while some of them are really reminiscent of the original maps.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

catlord posted:

I'm trying to get switches working in GZDoom Builder. It seems to be doing everything now except changing to the used texture when activated, and I can't seem to figure out why. That's supposed to happen automatically, right?
Well, for the stock textures, SW1* textures will switch to the corresponding SW2* textures and vice versa. This is explicitly hardcoded into the vanilla engine. For custom textures, though, you'll need to manually set that up, either with a Boom-format SWITCHES lump or a ZDoom-format ANIMDEFS lump (the former of which overrides the hardcoded switch relations, although generally tools that create the lump will include all of them in the new lump to be on the safe side; the latter is cumulative, so you can just specify the new relationships). Not having more context for your setup, that's about all the advice I can pass along.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thEbQkcjUWk

Hey Jerry, looks like you got some demons comin' outta your teleporter! Sure, one former human there, one imp there, then WHAM :haw:
Happy Festivus

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dominic White posted:

This Heretic mod (by the Russian Overkill guy + a team of others) is cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4gJcsjeoA

Akimbo quad-shotguns? Don't mind if I do!

This hardly seems fair on the monsters.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Flannelette posted:

This hardly seems fair on the monsters.

The recommended maps have some pretty huge monster swarms that make it a little more fair, but you'll still want to play it on the upper difficulty settings. Once you get a couple of good spells and start casually buying Tomes Of Power from the item store, things get nuts.

Someone needs to make some batshit crazy slaughtermaps for Heretic, on par with Sunder. Anyone know of any?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 24, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, for the stock textures, SW1* textures will switch to the corresponding SW2* textures and vice versa. This is explicitly hardcoded into the vanilla engine. For custom textures, though, you'll need to manually set that up, either with a Boom-format SWITCHES lump or a ZDoom-format ANIMDEFS lump (the former of which overrides the hardcoded switch relations, although generally tools that create the lump will include all of them in the new lump to be on the safe side; the latter is cumulative, so you can just specify the new relationships). Not having more context for your setup, that's about all the advice I can pass along.

Hm. Just stock textures, using SW1COMM (though I did try another one that didn't work either). Thought it might be because I was in UDMF, so I tried normal Doom and I can't seem to reliably get switches working at all, and when I do the texture doesn't change. Is there a good text tutorial for GZDoom Builder? Just checking the Doom Builder site give me video tutorials, but they are both apparently outdated and I just can't stand video tutorials.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

That is why I always have UT 99 installed on every PC/laptop/whatever I own. You can just download a bunch of maps or play stock/bonus pack maps and you'll have a good time just with bots or host a server with friends and add an army of them and have a blast.

UT99 is one of the few games that has near-infinite replay value, thanks to bots and all of the custom content out there. I downloaded a small chunk of CTF maps a while ago, and I've gotten a ton of time out of them with with just the default weapons. I haven't even touched a majority of them with Instagib, Rockets UT, Excessive, or U4E yet. I still need to get more CTF maps, delve into custom DM maps, and expand my Domination playlist so that it isn't just the default maps. That's not even mentioning the legion of good mods I haven't found yet and the non-Xidia and 7Bullets SP map packs I haven't played. It is easily equal to Doom in sheer replayability, and is probably more replayable than Doom if you get clever with your mod-mixing and play in different ways.

Hell, even with a default GOTY+Bonus Pack 4 install, the game will last you for years with all the good maps and ways to play in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Last Sunday, Rise of the Triad also turned 20. If you're curious, Joe Siegler wrote a LOT of words about the game's development here.