Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Mokinokaro posted:

The problem though is that "demoing"games leaves you with a copy that's even more buggy than the retail due to the lack of patches and new bugs introduced by circumventing the drm.

For instance the Unity face bug was solved for most players by the day one patch (not that Unity lacks other problems.)

I meant like a Redbox rental or something. I don't pirate for the exact reasons you mentioned. Trying to get an illegitimate copy to work correctly is often a pain in the rear end and I'd rather just wait for a steam sale.

On a related note, I know Ground Zeroes got a lot of flak for being so short but I wish that sort of thing was more common (though for a cheaper price). If you don't want to give an actual demo then give me some kind of prologue or side-story that I can purchase for ten bucks to get a feel for the game before I throw down $60 on the full one. Other than it being too expensive for what it is, I found Ground Zeroes to be a neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's not any more ridiculous than Dick Cheney being a literal poo poo-shoveler, the military being comically inept.while armchair generals own them, or all the dumb vapid celebrities turning their zombie bunker into a reality show and being left to die because their bodyguard is disgusted by how big a whore Paris Hilton is.

World War Z is a very silly book that nerds take way too seriously because the moral of the book is that nerds are awesome and will rule everything when all the big stupid popular kids lose their power in the zombie uprising.

Oh, yeah, and it's great. I just thought that the hanzo steel :japan: thing was still a mite too on the nose :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's not any more ridiculous than Dick Cheney being a literal poo poo-shoveler, the military being comically inept.while armchair generals own them, or all the dumb vapid celebrities turning their zombie bunker into a reality show and being left to die because their bodyguard is disgusted by how big a whore Paris Hilton is.

World War Z is a very silly book that nerds take way too seriously because the moral of the book is that nerds are awesome and will rule everything when all the big stupid popular kids lose their power in the zombie uprising.

I think we nerds take it too seriously because despite the silliness that you outline, it does also make a comprehensive effort at explaining why things go down the way they do and to paint a sensible global picture. And for every silly thing or love of 19th-century military tactics, there's also a well-written thing about the toll listening to radio calls for help took or how people still adore, make use of, and care about dogs or whatever. It's just nice to see something other than The Walking Dead "Everyone Is Terrible You Will Die" style stuff. :shobon:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Esroc posted:

I take some responsibility since I bought the game too, but if you're still playing it after the incomplete, broken shitfest that it turned out to be then that's your own drat fault.

Between Destiny, and the new Dragon Age I've since sworn off ever buying a game at full price without finding a way to demo it first. The rate at which games are being released broken, incomplete, and filled to the brim with expensive DLC just to regain features that should have been in the game in the first place is getting ridiculous and it amazes me that developers just cannot fathom why piracy is such a big thing.

I like Destiny to a point, not even the grind bothered me that much, but the loot system is starting to break me, I've never in my life seen a worse loot system then what Destiny, I've done both raids so far and got completely dicked over in terms of loot, just upgrade materials, even more hilarious I got upgrade materials for armor that only drops from the raid so I cannot use it at all, its just junk to me.

But yea the buggy raid boss just broke me, I don't care if we die constantly cause we're terrible, I do care if we waste an hour and a half due to constant bugs, it was just dreadful, the least fun I've ever had playing Destiny. Even worse cause we had one attempt where we nearly killed him but right at the end, right when we could have killed him with one more cycle of attacks the game bugged out and 2 of our guys mysteriously dropped dead thus cutting our DPS on top of making me entirely blind, we all died again and the boss survived with a sliver of health so tiny you had to squint to see it.

Alteisen has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Dec 23, 2014

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Finally finished all 31 main and side quests in Fallout 3. I found the game engaging enough to complete, but not enough to try all the DLC or replay differently.

3 takes much longer to finish than 1 or 2, but it feels too way too short as most of the map is untouched by any quests. Character development is anaemic since you can get every worthwhile perk in the one playthrough and nearly every quest has a dungeon shoehorned into it; a mission to find someone's violin means killing a whole load of crab monsters underground.

The game is paced like an Elder Scrolls title in that you spend most of your time killing or exploring, which gets boring as there's only so many enemy-types and most of the game-world is samey. The plot is bungled in that they introduce this big conflict out of nowhere at the midpoint and then try to tell this epic story in the space of five measly missions. I guess my real problem with the game is that it's fun to play as an Elder Scrolls hiking-simulator but it only makes token attempts at what makes Fallout novel like moral-dilemmas, open-ended missions and diverse character-builds.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Finding that lady her violin is actually one of my favorite quests in Fallout 3, Vault-Tec HQ and Vault 92 are decent enough dungeons with fairly good loot (especially if you do the unmarked quest after to find a sheet music book.) But it is a very samey game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The problem though is that "demoing"games leaves you with a copy that's even more buggy than the retail due to the lack of patches and new bugs introduced by circumventing the drm.

For instance the Unity face bug was solved for most players by the day one patch (not that Unity lacks other problems.)

I'd hate to break this to you but in the brave year of 2014 day-1 patches get pirated too.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Finally finished all 31 main and side quests in Fallout 3. I found the game engaging enough to complete, but not enough to try all the DLC or replay differently.

Honestly the DLC Broken Steel and Point Lookout are worth playing. Broken Steel gives the game a better ending than the anti-climactic dump the original one is, and Point Lookout is just a fun new area to check out with some goofy quests and challenging enemies. Plus, since you've effectively beaten the game, the obnoxious enemies added on in broken steel won't bother you much (gently caress you feral ghoul reavers, gently caress you)

The Pitt was meh and the other two are crap.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Febreeze posted:

Honestly the DLC Broken Steel and Point Lookout are worth playing. Broken Steel gives the game a better ending than the anti-climactic dump the original one is, and Point Lookout is just a fun new area to check out with some goofy quests and challenging enemies. Plus, since you've effectively beaten the game, the obnoxious enemies added on in broken steel won't bother you much (gently caress you feral ghoul reavers, gently caress you)

The Pitt was meh and the other two are crap.

Yeah, Broken Steel is necessary for raising the level cap and giving the game an actual ending and Point Lookout is fun. Operation: Anchorage tries to make Fallout play like Call of Duty and fails horribly, The Pitt is decent but kind of a slog, and Mothership Zeta is one of the worst things I've ever played.

All of New Vegas' DLC is fantastic, though. Even if you don't personally enjoy their core gameplay you can at least appreciate what they were going for and the rewards they give you are great.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Dec 24, 2014

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Operation: Anchorage tries to make Fallout play like Call of Duty and fails horribly

I always played O:A as Metal Gear Fallout. As much stealth as I could manage, usually a sniper loadout, 四百二十 drop Commies erryday. If I got spotted at all before the camp hub part of the mission, I felt like I'd failed.

Have to agree with you on Zeta, though. I played through it once, felt absolutely nothing of interest was gained from it other than gear, have never run it again in subsequent playthroughs.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, Broken Steel is necessary for raising the level cap and giving the game an actual ending and Point Lookout is fun. Operation: Anchorage tries to make Fallout play like Call of Duty and fails horribly, The Pitt is decent but kind of a slog, and Mothership Zeta is one of the worst things I've ever played.

All of New Vegas' DLC is fantastic, though. Even if you don't personally enjoy their core gameplay you can at least appreciate what they were going for and the rewards they give you are great.

Ehhh. Old World Blues was amazing - just an awesome new area with a strange and quirky storyline. Dead Money was pretty good if you were ok with it sort of being off on its own compared to the rest of the game, but it had a good feel overall.

Honest Hearts and Lonesome road felt very rail-roady compared to the rest of the DLC and the rest of the game. You didn't really have much choice input in what was happening... and in my second playthrough of Honest Hearts, I found that it can be completed in about a minute if you decide to take the rear end in a top hat approach. That in itself felt really out of place, especially when you can pick sides in most faction stories.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Brainbread posted:

That in itself felt really out of place, especially when you can pick sides in most faction stories.

That is you picking sides, though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"It felt really out of place when, expecting that I can take sides, I took a side and the game didn't stop me wtf was that about."

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Byzantine posted:

That is you picking sides, though.

I mean, like, actually getting a story out of it. I don't think, "I pick the bad guy side oops looks like I am done" fits in with the over all feel of New Vegas - where they think of many ways that people can go about completing quests.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brainbread posted:

I mean, like, actually getting a story out of it. I don't think, "I pick the bad guy side oops looks like I am done" fits in with the over all feel of New Vegas - where they think of many ways that people can go about completing quests.

were you also upset you couldn't side with the Ghost People in Dead Money

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Brainbread posted:

Ehhh. Old World Blues was amazing - just an awesome new area with a strange and quirky storyline. Dead Money was pretty good if you were ok with it sort of being off on its own compared to the rest of the game, but it had a good feel overall.

Honest Hearts and Lonesome road felt very rail-roady compared to the rest of the DLC and the rest of the game. You didn't really have much choice input in what was happening... and in my second playthrough of Honest Hearts, I found that it can be completed in about a minute if you decide to take the rear end in a top hat approach. That in itself felt really out of place, especially when you can pick sides in most faction stories.

Even if the actual faction and quest stuff in Honest Hearts wasn't amazing (made even worse by the game's glitchiness and the fact that in the original unpatched release you could lock yourself out of almost all the content by sniping Follows-Chalk from a distance before he can talk to you) I thought it was cool because having a more green and vertical world was a nice break from the flat brown desert and Joshua Graham was a great character. And I didn't mind Lonesome Road's linearity since it was focused around it on both a gameplay and narrative level and they were smart enough to have those automated stores so you didn't have to break up their dungeon crawl every time your inventory got full.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Old World Blues was pretty decent generally speaking but I still have an overall negative opinion of it just for the beginning where you're frozen in place and forced to listen to some of the most godawful attempts at humor I've ever had to endure ("penis-shaped feet!" :downsbravo:) for like half an hour.

It was pretty good once that bit was over, but yeesh.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Old World Blues was pretty decent generally speaking but I still have an overall negative opinion of it just for the beginning where you're frozen in place and forced to listen to some of the most godawful attempts at humor I've ever had to endure ("penis-shaped feet!" :downsbravo:) for like half an hour.

On the other hand, in Lonesome Road you get to listen to Ulysses ramble on with his "deep" philosophy 101 speeches. At least Old World Blues had a sense of humor.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kimmalah posted:

On the other hand, in Lonesome Road you get to listen to Ulysses ramble on with his "deep" philosophy 101 speeches. At least Old World Blues had a sense of humor.

At least most of Ulysses' speeches are played over the speakers or are recordings so they're just playing in the background as you do things. Old World Blues opens with a huge expository cutscene followed by a massive unskippable conversation with 5 different characters at the same time, even if you like the humor it brings the game to a screeching halt and is hugely awkward and obtuse in a game that's usually pretty good about telling the story through gameplay and environment.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Bravely Default is is great in a way that 'great' doesn't quite encompass, and is basically exactly what Square should have been making over the past 15-20 years.

But I can already tell from very early in the game that the way it distributes XP, and especially Job Points, is going to lead to massive inequality. The whole system's basically just FFV's, only they've allowed themselves to use bigger numbers in their rewards. Bosses especially are great for that, they'll give you 90 JP when regular enemies are giving out 7 or 8. But those bosses can hurt, and if someone's dead at the end of a fight, they aren't gonna get any of that.

That doesn't just lead to inequality, it's likely to lead to escalating inequality. When the only survivor of a boss fight is the knight that can tank hits like a champ, they're only going to get better at tanking hits like a champ. That means they'll get better at surviving those fights, which means they'll continue to monopolize the XP yield that lets them do so in the first place. It wasn't such a big deal in FFV, since a boss fight's AP yield could probably be made up in about three random encounters, but BD's boss rewards are a lot more lucrative in comparison to the random encounters.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Dec 24, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

God that intro. It's pretty much the only case where I was presented a giant dialogue tree and all I wanted to do was get out.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Cleretic posted:

Bravely Default is is great in a way that 'great' doesn't quite encompass, and is basically exactly what Square should have been making over the past 15-20 years.

But I can already tell from very early in the game that the way it distributes XP, and especially Job Points, is going to lead to massive inequality. The whole system's basically just FFV's, only they've allowed themselves to use bigger numbers in their rewards. Bosses especially are great for that, they'll give you 90 JP when regular enemies are giving out 7 or 8. But those bosses can hurt, and if someone's dead at the end of a fight, they aren't gonna get any of that.

That doesn't just lead to inequality, it's likely to lead to escalating inequality. When the only survivor of a boss fight is the knight that can tank hits like a champ, they're only going to get better at tanking hits like a champ. That means they'll get better at surviving those fights, which means they'll continue to monopolize the XP yield that lets them do so in the first place. It wasn't such a big deal in FFV, since a boss fight's AP yield could probably be made up in about three random encounters, but BD's boss rewards are a lot more lucrative in comparison to the random encounters.

Unless you're playing Hard mode no-grind, this will not become an issue in late game. And without some degree of grinding, you're going to have to rely on BP / RNG manipulation strategies and very very slow techniques like constant Utstusemi/Transience.

Or you get to the end of the game with a Level 99 party, grind out a single job from 1 to 14 in twenty minutes, and beat the optional boss with a strategy that causes you to take damage exactly twice.

As for grinding, Lure Enemy stacks over the normal encounter rate setting. Combine that with a fast kill strategy (Valkyrie secondary for early to mid-game) and you're buffing out that difference fast enough that it ceases to be anything but a one-fight differential between when party members gain job levels.

EDIT: There are mob groups starting in Chapter 5 that give 999JP before combat bonuses.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Mothership Zeta could have been so loving good too. 1950s/60s pulp alien mother ship? What could go wrong? Oh yeah all the enemies are boring HP sponges, the levels are dull, and it is just super boring.

Also, NV DLC is some of the most polarizing stuff ever. I hated Honest Hearts but I love Dead Money.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
The best quest in Fallout 3 is figuring out what to do with the ghoul trapped in a tree. Too bad no matter what option you pick (except option "flamethrower") it leaves some NPC willing to blame themselves for your actions. C'mon game, if you want me to make a hard decision don't trivialize it by divorcing me from its consequences.

I liked Fallout 3 when I started playing it but it is so gd samey that by the time I was done I felt like a chump for putting so much time into it. Never bought NV because of that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Broken Steel's new areas are cool, and raising the level cap is nice, but the new enemies that it distributes everywhere are pure anti-fun that you don't get a choice in fighting since they can spawn anywhere certain classes of normal enemy do.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Hobo By Design posted:

Never bought NV because of that.
Don't make the mistake of falling into this mindset. New Vegas is the real Fallout 3, made by people who actually knew what the hell they were doing. It actually has a large overarching plot with a lot of interesting moving parts.

As far as samey goes, Fallout 3 was tolerable but holy gently caress Skyrim was dull, I apparently played 51 hours of it, and I don't remember anything. Terrible inventory system and skill trees too, terrible combat, I just don't see where the acclaim comes from unless standards for fantasy games are rock bottom.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Hobo By Design posted:

I liked Fallout 3 when I started playing it but it is so gd samey that by the time I was done I felt like a chump for putting so much time into it. Never bought NV because of that.

F3 is fertilizer for the beautiful tree that is New Vegas.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sardonik posted:

Don't make the mistake of falling into this mindset. New Vegas is the real Fallout 3, made by people who actually knew what the hell they were doing. It actually has a large overarching plot with a lot of interesting moving parts.

As far as samey goes, Fallout 3 was tolerable but holy gently caress Skyrim was dull, I apparently played 51 hours of it, and I don't remember anything. Terrible inventory system and skill trees too, terrible combat, I just don't see where the acclaim comes from unless standards for fantasy games are rock bottom.

How do you put 51 hours into a game you hate? Two whole days!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are baby turd-colored shitshows with snatches of amusing writing buried amidst the steaming piles like desiccated corn kernels. Skyrim might have been shallow and generic, but at least it was accessible, and you didn't have a dreary brown/green/orange filter smudged over the camera lens.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sardonik posted:

I love when people poo poo all over FO3 and put NV on this pedestal like NV isn't just a slightly more polished 3.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
As someone who thinks New Vegas is an infinitely better game than Fallout 3, I'll still refrain from getting mad at anyone for preferring Fallout 3 as it is, of course, their opinion. That's not to say I won't silently judge them for having an incorrect opinion. :colbert:

More on topic, the undead levels and, to a larger extent, the Thieves Guild from Thief Gold. Fuuuuuuuck those levels.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hello my goon friends i am prepared to give you my opinion on [THING], and you may wanna take a breath because it's gonna be

controversial

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

khwarezm posted:

How do you put 51 hours into a game you hate? Two whole days!

I have 219 hours in skyrim, a game I hate. I blame mods.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

kazil posted:

I love when people poo poo all over FO3 and put NV on this pedestal like NV isn't just a slightly more polished 3.

Yeah, NV has better mechanics (not wildly, about the same level of improvement as moving from GTA3 to GTA Vice City) but a worse story and map. I liked them both, but I am constantly baffled by this "Its the REAL Fallout 3!!!!!" thing. No, its not. Its a side game based on the same engine as the real fallout 3. The number on the box is a helpful clue. I put something like 15-200 hours into each game, on balance I prefer FO3 to NV. I can understand someone prefering NV to FO3, what I cant understand is recommending new vegas to someone who hated 3, becase they are still mechanically almost identical (NV rebalanced the skills, gave you a companion wheel to interact with your companionss without having to open a dialogue and improved their AI enough that you rarely needed to actually use the companion wheel, thats more or less it). New Vegas has more freedom in what I grudgingly refer to as its "story", but less freedom of movement as, unless you are going to glitch along unclimbable slopes north, you are bound to a J shaped corridor deviation from which (outside of about 3 "you can go off piste here for a limited distance, but dont wander too far" zones) is punished by being bugfucked to death by cazadores. Once you reach the massively underwhelming titular new vegas you have more freedom, but thats about when they run out of interesting story to tell.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, NV has ... a worse story

wow

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

a worse map.
I find this hard to accept given how terrible and full of invisible walls the southeast corner of Fallout 3's map was. New Vegas just has a problem of filling the game with deadly and obnoxious enemies to discourage exploration, but the map is definitely better.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I've been playing Deadlight recently, and it has these little issues that keep popping up to annoy me.

The axe weapon is implemented terribly, so that the attacks besides the knockdown chop (which is the one you want to use) force downed enemies back into a standing position. The animations for these attacks sail way over the knocked down enemies' bodies, yet here they are, standing again.
Immediately after getting familiar with your weapons, you're stripped from them and tossed into an annoying sewer level.
Interactable elements are sometimes pretty hard to discern from regular elements.
Zombies in the background (cannot be attacked, yet) are pretty freaking hard to discern from zombies in the foreground WHEN THEY'RE ALL IN SILHOUETTE.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
NV doesn't have Butcher Pete.
Fo3 doesn't have spurs that jingle jangle jingle.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
FO3 doesn't have F.I.S.T.O.

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, NV has better mechanics (not wildly, about the same level of improvement as moving from GTA3 to GTA Vice City) but a worse story and map. I liked them both, but I am constantly baffled by this "Its the REAL Fallout 3!!!!!" thing. No, its not. Its a side game based on the same engine as the real fallout 3. The number on the box is a helpful clue.

Next you'll be telling me that Revengeance isn't a true Metal Gear game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
So I recently finished slogging through The Last of Us, And I have a few gripes. I'm not a steath game player, so I put it on easy and just played it like serious sam. I am grateful I could just plow through the game tossing grenades and molotov cocktails everywhere, or just running to the exit to progress the story line.

My major complaint is Winter. At first playing Ellie was fun and a different challenge, kind of new spin on taking your equipment away. When it progressed into Eli Roth torture porn territory however, it kinda became a slog. I don't have a weak stomach when it comes to horror, but It really got old to watch Ellie get shot, hit with a bat, have her head torn off, face kicked in, chopped with a machete, etc. over and over and over.

The worst part about it was the final fight against the bad stereotype guy (preacher/pedophile/rapist/cannibal) was one of the best in the game, the cat and mouse game of running, hiding, listening, and avoiding broken plates was kinda cool. but with needing to sneak attack him three times led to some really brutal death scenes.

Lastly the ending was such an "edgy" cop-out that whoever wrote that turd should be fired.