Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Go to a store. Try things on.

A goretex trail runner is just as waterproof as a goretex boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Speleothing posted:

Go to a store. Try things on.

A goretex trail runner is just as waterproof as a goretex boot.

Other hikers locally keep telling me that I'm going want to get boots because most of the stuff I hike is rather muddy most of the year. I like the idea of trail runners though, I tend to hike at a quick pace with a light pack and less weight on your feet = less fatigue = less distance. Are there any trailrunners out there that fare particularly well in the mud, or drain/dry particularly quickly that I should look into?

I think I'm going to go the route of buying from REI locally so I can take advantage of the return policy even though the prices are a bit higher. I can only really tell if a shoe/boot is going to irritate my foot or not through extended wear, there really isn't any way for me to know just fitting them in a store.

I could always just ebay a cheap pair of hi-tec altitudes and try out trailrunners for the price of a good boot. I've had altitudes before and they fit fine + get the job done, they just aren't quite as durable/nice as I would like.

While I'm at it, what would you recommend for ultracheap: silk or polypropylene liner socks, wool socks, liner pants, entire insulation layer?

Right now I'm looking at the following for my ultracheap layering system

Feet:
Good wool socks x2 http://www.rei.com/product/825037/darn-tough-light-hiker-micro-crew-socks-mens $40
Good polypropylene liner socks x2 $20 whatever REI or costco has that fits tight enough to avoid blisters
Buying these locally so I can go try on shoes/boots.

Lower:
Icebreaker 200 weight merino boxer briefs (already have) or random poly boxer briefs (already have), not sure which would be a better fit for my needs.
Icebreaker 200 weight wool leggings $28 on sale (or should I go with spandex/poly??)
??? Lightweight nylon pants. I'm having a hard time finding something reasonably slim fitting + mid to lightweight + cheapish. Any suggestions?

Upper:
Cheap goodwill polyester tees
??? mid layer. Should I go with a long sleeve merino tee? short sleeve?
??? upper mid layer. Cheap costco/uniqlo packable down? Wool flannel? Poly flannel? One of those thin/light merino wool uniqlo sweatshirts?
Shell jacket

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 16, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
if you're hoping for something resole-able (which would indicate you'd be putting a lot of mileage on them) then you don't want trail runners. Trail runners are typically built to be light-weight for covering long distance and thus they wear out a lot faster than boots. If you're alright with the thought of replacing them more frequently then trail runners could be great, but you might should just be looking for boots that are lighter weight. again though.... resoleable and waterproof is typically at odds with lightweight & breathable. It's like the classic backpacking quandry, pick two; Lightweight, Durable, Cheap.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

MMD3 posted:

if you're hoping for something resole-able (which would indicate you'd be putting a lot of mileage on them) then you don't want trail runners. Trail runners are typically built to be light-weight for covering long distance and thus they wear out a lot faster than boots. If you're alright with the thought of replacing them more frequently then trail runners could be great, but you might should just be looking for boots that are lighter weight. again though.... resoleable and waterproof is typically at odds with lightweight & breathable. It's like the classic backpacking quandry, pick two; Lightweight, Durable, Cheap.

If I could find good boots that were re-soleable with a decently large toebox I would be going with boots. But the way I see it, $250+ boots are way outside of my budget and everything cheaper seems to use eva midsoles or fail in some other regard these days.

With my current budget in mind I think I would be wiser to get a cheaper pair of non waterproof trailrunners (focusing on ventilation/quick drying and mud traction) keeping a spare set of socks/liners and spending the difference on a better layering system and day pack. I weigh 130 and pack light, so I can live without the ankle support and I'll probably get a bit more life out of the midsoles than most people..

The way I see it, it's both a test of if I like trailrunners or not, and it buys me time to save up for good enough boots that price isn't the deciding factor. I'd rather do it right the first time. If I end up liking trailrunners I'll still want to have boots, and even if I end up hating them the money spent elsewhere will me improving my overall comfort a lot more. I haven't spent a dollar on hiking outside of parking in forever so almost everything I wear is either the right size but cotton (ugh) or the right materials but 2 sizes too big.. Both suck greatly.

I found some good deals on a few things I needed locally which raised the rest of my budget a bit. I think I can afford to get everything I need with room to spare..... If I can find some light nylon pants in a slim fit that aren't $100+..... Or find a cheap and good enough alternative. Pants seem to be the one thing I'm having a hard time cheaping out on because everything seems to fit me like JNCOs.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 17, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it's wet but not cold GTX socks are a good alternative to boots.

What do you want the nylon pants for? Nylon cloth isn't waterproof on its own.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

evil_bunnY posted:

If it's wet but not cold GTX socks are a good alternative to boots.

What do you want the nylon pants for? Nylon cloth isn't waterproof on its own.

Stopping my long johns from ripping apart on brush, and a bit of water resistance mostly. edit: and wind breaking. Should I look into something else? I have pants for the rain, I just need something that dries quickly to protect my legs.. Right now outside of my winter weight nylon pants, and shorts, I don't own a single pair of pants that aren't made out of cotton... Would cheap polyester running/jogging pants be fine for now if I give no fucks about what I look like out in the woods? Right now I'm hiking in lightweight cotton duck pants so basically anything non cotton is an improvement.

Since I keep asking for gear suggestions, here's a great suggestion I have for basically anyone, especially ultralight packers: The best $5 flashlight you'll ever buy. Seriously get 10 of these things. Clip a few to your pack for backups, leave one in your car, and keep spares handy to pass out to friends who didn't come prepared. It's probably the brightest light I've seen that can be powered by 1x AA battery (it can take a 14500 li-ion too) and has features you wouldn't expect on a $5 light such as anodized threads. It gets a little hot, but anyone handy can fix it pretty easily with some thermal paste. Seriously this is a pro-tier suggestion and everyone should have a few of these.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1815003

Edit: Just drove to a bunch of stores locally and got everything I need except for goddamn pants. Ended up with 8 pairs of wool socks, 3 pairs of polypropylene liners, 1 pair of silk liners (giving them a shot,) an ultralight packable down vest, a fleece pullover, and a few goodwill poly athletic tees for under $100. On top of that I found a long forgotten $50 REI gift card stuck to the back of my membership card and picked up a Traverse 30 pack for essentially $3.70 on clearance. Also got merino long johns, a merino long sleeve, and a pair of trailrunners. Oddly enough I gave zero fucks about color but surprisingly enough ended up with matching colors too.. I was kind of hoping I would end up with obnoxiously neon colored mismatching stuff from the bargain bin :(

Edit2: thrift stores in affluent areas are amazing, just found a pair of 6oz packable convertible nylon pants for 3 dollars. They wanted $12 for polyester athletic tees but I found a few plain 100% cashmere sweaters in my size for 5bux each :what:

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 18, 2014

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Moab-Gore-Tex-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B00D7CHAM4

The best shoe I have ever owned. Hiked all the way from Pheriche to Namche Bazaar in Nepal in a monsoon downpour for eight hours. The only part of me that was still dry were my feet.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Cheesemaster200 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Moab-Gore-Tex-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B00D7CHAM4

The best shoe I have ever owned. Hiked all the way from Pheriche to Namche Bazaar in Nepal in a monsoon downpour for eight hours. The only part of me that was still dry were my feet.

I've got these in the boot form and they're great. The toe box might not be the biggest but its worth trying on. They keep your feet dry for a while but once water comes in it doesn't leave. They hold water really badly so if it either soaks through or runs down your leg its going to stay in the boot until you pour it out and they take a while to dry.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Does anyone have suggestions for an overnight hike in South Florida that allows dogs?

I'm looking for something within 2-3 hours drive of Miami, a loop of maybe 10-15 miles with one overnight camp.

The dog part is proving to be an issue since most every park (including state) I've looked at seems to prohibit dogs in their primitive camping areas or even the trails in general. My wife may come with me also, but that is less of an issue..

Looks like I can probably go to Ocala National Forest, but that's a long drive and I'd spend more time driving than hiking all considered.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Good luck. Myakka River State Park has wilderness camping that is dog friendly (dogs only seem to be banned from cabins) but it's a bit more than three hours from Miami. Big Cypress is about the only dog-friendly place in South Florida that would even have that many miles of hiking trails.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Big Cypress is the poo poo, but I don't think I would take my dog on the Florida trail there (do they have any other overnight trails there?). The visitor Centre to ten mile camp is OK, with some sections of swamp and some dry land, but after that it gets a little nuts. I remember one area I walked for a few hours with no dry land, shin+ deep water for miles. That being said, I think big cypress was my 3rd favorite section, and one of the few I would enjoy doing again. Ocala was kinda meh.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Backpacking in South Florida is loving awful.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I thought that dogs weren't allowed on the trails in big cypress? http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Myakka River looks like it might work though. Thanks for the suggestions.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

GanjamonII posted:

I thought that dogs weren't allowed on the trails in big cypress? http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Myakka River looks like it might work though. Thanks for the suggestions.

There are quite a few places in myakka that don't allow dogs, I had a friend have to cancel a trip because of that actually, they told him dogs weren't allowed in the woods

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

ReverendCode posted:

There are quite a few places in myakka that don't allow dogs, I had a friend have to cancel a trip because of that actually, they told him dogs weren't allowed in the woods

Their website makes it sound pretty permissive, but I just called the ranger station and they advised dogs are allowed hiking but not camping. Need to be off the trails by 5pm. Bleh.

Looks like I may leave the dog and go mountain biking at Santos instead.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 19, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just saw the movie "wild" with one of my buddies tonight and it was pretty funny as it brought us both back to when we started backpacking. The funny thing is that it made me want to do something like the pct more whereas my friend was convinced he would never want to do something that intense.

The scenery was nice to look at and Reese Witherspoon gets naked a lot but other than that it had a few funny moments and is a decent way too kill 90 minutes. It really made me want to go on a trip though.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Uniqlo packable down jackets are on sale today if your size is in stock, also in stores http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-ultra-light-down-square-quilted-jacket-136939.html

Pretty good deal, I had a hard time passing it up but the last thing I need is more insulation options.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HEY VAPER posted:

Uniqlo packable down jackets are on sale today if your size is in stock, also in stores http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-ultra-light-down-square-quilted-jacket-136939.html

Pretty good deal, I had a hard time passing it up but the last thing I need is more insulation options.
I got one of these in herringbone last year during a sale: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-ultra-light-down-jacket-patterned-134578.html

It's nice enough and I wear it around the house a lot because I hate sweaters. It's okay during activity but not as warm as "down jacket" implied to me.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I just got my saucony peregrine 4's in the mail and ran up and down the hill in the woods by my house a few times despite the lovely weather. I must say, this is an absolute night and day difference from the worn out pair of Adidas Sambas I've been hiking and running in for the last year. I ended up sizing up .5 from what I normally wear in Nike an ended up with a perfect fit. I couldn't be happier, so thank you to whoever suggested I check out trailrunners instead of boots.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

HEY VAPER posted:

...worn out pair of Adidas Sambas I've been hiking and running in for the last year...

Yikes, yeah I can imagine.

Eugenics
Mar 25, 2007
Because I'm better than you
Anyone gone up Whitney mountaineers route within the last month? The webcam shows some snow but I am curious about how much. I went up last season in march but missed the summit by a wrong turn below iceberg lake. I'd like to go when there is enough snow that I don't have to cross the ebersbacher ledges.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

My wife, 2 dogs, and I are going to start backpacking this summer.
I now got to find all the gear we are going to need.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not an experienced backpacker by any stretch of the imagination but I'd start backpacking without the dogs first.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not an experienced backpacker by any stretch of the imagination but I'd start backpacking without the dogs first.

Think so. I didn't think they would be much of a problem. I take them on hikes 10 mile hikes. They carry their own food and water and are well trained.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

jadeddrifter posted:

Rad! That's super exciting for you. I'd recommend you just head on down to the nearest REI or similar outfitter and talk to a clerk who will help you pick up what you think you'll need. Buying stuff online is great, but if you don't have anything then it's difficult to know what you want. Also they can help you with all the regional weather concerns, as well as tell you about good trail systems that would be appropriate for your skill level and fitness.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 28, 2014

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jadeddrifter posted:

Depending on your goals and budget I would suggest a read through of the backpacking light forums and gear list for pacific crest trail (Google gear lists PCT).

Both sites will expose you to some weight weenies and sperg lords, but there is no point in carrying more than you need. Have fun..

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

jadeddrifter posted:

This describes me at this time last year. Ended up going three times over the course of the summer and had a pretty good time. The dogs can be a pain in the butt if you hike in an area with lots of poison ivy/poison oak and are allergic. Other than that they're not too hard to deal with and they can make you friends!

The only piece of equipment we ended up getting that I don't see here was the specific stove we went with-- the optimus crux. It's similar to the MSR pocketrocket but I think it has a few features that make it superior. Of course, if your budget and weight profile allow for something fancier don't let me stop ya!

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

This describes me at this time last year. Ended up going three times over the course of the summer and had a pretty good time. The dogs can be a pain in the butt if you hike in an area with lots of poison ivy/poison oak and are allergic. Other than that they're not too hard to deal with and they can make you friends!

The only piece of equipment we ended up getting that I don't see here was the specific stove we went with-- the optimus crux. It's similar to the MSR pocketrocket but I think it has a few features that make it superior. Of course, if your budget and weight profile allow for something fancier don't let me stop ya!

I haven't had any problems with poison oak/ivy hiking with the dogs yet.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I'm just super allergic to it and there's a shitload of the ivy around here. They like to go crashing through the underbrush when off leash and then snuggle on me.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I have never had a reaction to it. yet.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Hey folks, I was wondering if you could help me out. I am in need of new hikings boots and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything. I've been using these and they have served me pretty well, even if they aren't as waterproof as they claim. But I'm looking for a pair that's more suited to longer hikes, is there anything anyone can suggest?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dravinski posted:

Hey folks, I was wondering if you could help me out. I am in need of new hikings boots and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything. I've been using these and they have served me pretty well, even if they aren't as waterproof as they claim. But I'm looking for a pair that's more suited to longer hikes, is there anything anyone can suggest?

My wife and swear by Merrell Moabs but lots of people hike in running shoes or Tevas. I prefer a mid height boot and for my needs and likes the Moabs are hard to beat.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Hey thanks dude, I'd been considering Moabs, since I've seen them recommended before, I'll check them out. What about other Merrell products, are they good too? I've not really seen a lot of them to be honest.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dravinski posted:

Hey thanks dude, I'd been considering Moabs, since I've seen them recommended before, I'll check them out. What about other Merrell products, are they good too? I've not really seen a lot of them to be honest.

I couldn't answer about the others but I just bought my wife her second pair of Moabs and I'm looking for the polar version for snowshoeing.

To complicate things almost all of my work shoes are now keen. I don't know about non safety shoes, but their safety shoes are the flippin bomb.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I hiked Mt Islip in the San Gabriel Mountains today. Photos: http://imgur.com/a/3eQQx

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

BeefofAges posted:

I hiked Mt Islip in the San Gabriel Mountains today. Photos: http://imgur.com/a/3eQQx

I did about 18 miles in Point Reyes National Seashore yesterday. It was pretty awesome.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

I couldn't answer about the others but I just bought my wife her second pair of Moabs and I'm looking for the polar version for snowshoeing.

To complicate things almost all of my work shoes are now keen. I don't know about non safety shoes, but their safety shoes are the flippin bomb.

Ah, well I'll take your suggestion onboard, thanks again. I might see if I can get something for a steal in the winter sales too!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm in the market now for my own new boots. I've been using my Vasque Breeze for years, and they've served me extremely well, so I may stick with them or try something new. All this boot talk is good to see. I have big plans for this summer, what with my husband getting 4 weeks vacation, so I guess I'd better shop now and start breaking them in.

By the summer I hope to get a small camera drone to take on backpacking and scrambling trips, and going back to some of my favourite places like Mt. Robson and Mt. Assiniboine, plus new places like Jasper Skyline or Tonquin Valley. Ugh, I'd better whoop my rear end back into shape, I didn't do anything in the fall because I was sick most of the time :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Man I'm gonna be a dick here but taking a drone into the woods sounds annoying as gently caress for everyone else that isn't you. They're also banned in national parks in the states so that's something to be aware of...not sure if they do the same in Canada.

It's just that the last thing I want to have to deal with while hiking and enjoying the outdoors is a motorized buzzing while someone flies one of those around. I understand you can get sweet pictures but it seems really selfish to bother everyone else in the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Dick or not, I agree. Drones suck.