Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I usually get three trained stonedwarves (one step in mining + engraving)
two carpenters (step in woodcutting + carpentry)
one specialized grower (maxed out growing skill)
one provisional jack of all trades (untrained) who also has the appraiser trait

In equipment I increase number of seeds just to create a safety buffer (for example rock nuts tend to just disappear if not brought in large quantities) and get a breeding population of sheep (they aren't the most efficient, but they can be sheared, milked, and I like sheep IRL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Excelzior posted:

code:
[PROFILE]
	[ITEM:90:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:TOWER_CAP:WOOD]
	[ITEM:16:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:HEMATITE]

I used to do this, but changed up to embarking with 100+ bituminous coal, some pigs, picks, seeds, one of each 2-cost meat (each animal type gets its own barrel). And one or two professional Building Designers. Everything else trains relatively quick. Buy out the first caravan with +spiked iron ball+s. First trade deal always has me asking for maximum wood, minimal leather, every animal but cats, and more food. By that time, my started-at-unskilled weaponsmiths are churning out exceptional, even if its made out of whatever is local and the coke still hasn't run out.

It'd be a different game if cooking slaughter-products required fuel too.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

with the bounty from multi-tile trees, having your carpenter churn out spiked wooden balls should be enough to buy out the first caravan and let you keep your iron for serrated disks and weaponry

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, because no one would abuse the magma smelter/leggings/axe blade mechanic.

*cough*

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
A caravan came. Noticed almost all the way through winter they were still hanging out in the depot not doing anything so I deconstructed it and they apparently decided to just leave all their poo poo behind. It is like dorf santa came :unsmith:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, it's an easy, combat-free passive-aggressive way to seize all the trade goods. The merchants'll be pissed at their profits, though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like the idea of using as few embark points as possible. My dream addition to the game would be some kind of cast away mode where you're a small group of dwarves washed ashore on a random island on your map and you have to survive without trade (and with only pirate sieges), struggling to get firewood and basic stuff using very little materials, kind of like Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

I like the idea of using as few embark points as possible. My dream addition to the game would be some kind of cast away mode where you're a small group of dwarves washed ashore on a random island on your map and you have to survive without trade (and with only pirate sieges), struggling to get firewood and basic stuff using very little materials, kind of like Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island.

Depending on how moddable the starting scenarios will be, you might actually be able to get this in the future.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

scamtank posted:

Yeah, the DFHack Dwarf Organizer is where it's at, no loving around with external windows that need deliberate refreshing

I just use vpl tho

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Decided to jump in and play the latest version after a bit of a hiatus, but it seems I can't brew anything.

I've got lots of plump helmets and enough empty barrels to get the job done, so I'm a little bit stumped as to why I can't brew. I'm down to two drinks :ohdear:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DarthJeebus posted:

Decided to jump in and play the latest version after a bit of a hiatus, but it seems I can't brew anything.

I've got lots of plump helmets and enough empty barrels to get the job done, so I'm a little bit stumped as to why I can't brew. I'm down to two drinks :ohdear:

Make sure you have a dwarf with brewing enabled, a still built where he can get to it, (burrow permissions?), that plump helmets are permitted for brewing in the kitchen tab, that the plump helmets aren't forbidden in the stocks tab, and that there isn't some weirdness with give/take stockpile & workshop rules blocking those helmets from that still.
E: Same goes for the barrels

Double edit: Can we move to E/N and be the new autism awareness thread?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 24, 2014

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Yea I checked everything, I can't find any good reason why I can't brew. I'm not using any burrows, I have empty barrels and plump helmets in accessible furniture/food stockpiles, I have a brewer (but even if I didn't, I should still be able to queue up the job.)

Edit: Though I did notice this in my Kitchen tab. Pressing b to toggle brew does exactly jack poo poo.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

DarthJeebus posted:

Yea I checked everything, I can't find any good reason why I can't brew. I'm not using any burrows, I have empty barrels and plump helmets in accessible furniture/food stockpiles, I have a brewer (but even if I didn't, I should still be able to queue up the job.)

Edit: Though I did notice this in my Kitchen tab. Pressing b to toggle brew does exactly jack poo poo.

Looks like your raws are broken somehow so that plump helmets aren't brewable.

It's working fine here so I don't think it's a problem with the new version.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Jeesis posted:

A caravan came. Noticed almost all the way through winter they were still hanging out in the depot not doing anything so I deconstructed it and they apparently decided to just leave all their poo poo behind. It is like dorf santa came :unsmith:

Note that a civilization doesn't care whether or not you select the "seize goods" option or not. Their sole calculation is "value of goods returned home minus value of goods sent to the fortress". If this is a negative number, it is treated as if you forcibly seized stuff-- even if it was a kobold thief!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

:frog: posted:

Let's see... there was a farming bug, where having multiple farmers on the same field caused issues. I also stopped the dwarves from deciding it's a good idea to channel their own square.

Well, 0.40.23 will be a good release, I believe. :unsmith:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there a good guide/whatever to making workflow things work? I'm fine with doing anything that they give example for in the -h menu, like any sort of metal bar, but I can't seem to figure out how to write out rock blocks??

Also with the new changes to dwarf stress and the like, I have a miner that just can't forget a mining/flooding accident followed by some were-skunks that all sort of happened within the same season. :smith:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

18 Character Limit posted:

Yeah, because no one would abuse the magma smelter/leggings/axe blade mechanic.

*cough*
Do those melt down into more metal than went into them?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yes, as do coins and bolts; there's a guide on the wiki about it, surprise surprise, but the short version is that chain leggings, axe blades, and I believe axes themselves all melt down to produce slightly more metal than it took to make them; the return rate is generally something like 1.5 times, and DOESN'T work for adamantine, due to the difference in how many adamantine bars needed for an item are calculated. Coins work for ALL metals, but your return is a mere 1.1 times....unless you're crazy enough to make a macro to split them all into stacks of 1 coin at the trade depot, at which point they return FIFTY TIMES their original metal. Individual bolts are melted down at a good profit as well, and it's very dwarfy project to rig up a way to reliably have your marksdwarves fire at a stationary target somewhere in a way that then allows the fired bolts to be collected for melting en masse.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is there a workaround for the farming bug in the current version? It's really annoying getting spammed.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there a good guide/whatever to making workflow things work? I'm fine with doing anything that they give example for in the -h menu, like any sort of metal bar, but I can't seem to figure out how to write out rock blocks??

Also with the new changes to dwarf stress and the like, I have a miner that just can't forget a mining/flooding accident followed by some were-skunks that all sort of happened within the same season. :smith:

I've not got a guide handy, but I did make some notes for myself about a year ago from fiddling with workflow. I forget which, but some of the dfhack commands can help you identify the raw names of materials/items. Here's what I had:
code:
Brewing specific drinks:

Set the job's material with
job item-material 1 [PLANT_RAW_NAME]
workflow count DRINK//[PLANT_RAW_NAME]:DRINK [MAX] [GAP]

Where [PLANT_RAW_NAME] is the RAW name of the plant (i.e. BERRY_SUN)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Making speficic rock blocks:

job item-material 1 [ROCK_RAW_NAME]
workflow count BLOCKS//[ROCK_RAW_NAME] [MAX] [GAP]

Where [ROCK_RAW_NAME] is the RAW name of the stone type
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Making specific fiber threads:

job item-material 1 [PLANT_RAW_NAME]
workflow amount THREAD//[PLANT_RAW_NAME]:THREAD [MAX] [GAP]
Say you want to have a workflow constraint for gabbro blocks, you'd have to go to a mason workshop and queue up a Make Rock Blocks task. Then while that job is highlighted in the menu, use the dfhack command 'job item-material 1 GABBRO', which will change that reaction's input so it only accepts that material. Once that is done, you can go use the command 'workflow count BLOCKS//GABBRO' and the values you want for the constraints. Another thing to note is the difference between 'workflow count' and 'workflow amount'. A count constraint will use the number of stacks of that item, while an amount constraint uses the total of that item.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Stop autisticking, bugfixes :siren: ahoy :siren:

v0.40.23 release, Toady One posted:

A third set of fixes for the job priority release, as well as a fix for the army "camp forever" problem from July.

Major bug fixes

Fixed cancellation bug with farming jobs
Fixed problem causing camping armies to lose sight of certain goals once play began

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Stopped situation where channeling dwarf decides to stand on channel tile
Fixed some raw typos (Gorobay)

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
And we still don't have linux memory locations for 40.22. Slow down, Toady! :hurr:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Toady continues to amaze. I'm speechless at his recent pace.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
About to just say gently caress it and use the 40.19 starter pack, since toady shows no sign of stopping for therapist to catch up.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm estatic at all the updates and improvements, but hopefully he'll take a week or two off for the holidays and give the poor utility makers a chance to catch up.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

scamtank posted:

Stop autistic king

that's pretty much what I spend half my time doing when my nobles show up :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So Dwarf Fortress produces yet another amazing enemy/story.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141173 posted:

So, I get my second set of merchants from the mountainhomes. Suddenly, they start dying for no reason. They just start "being found dead". First, I thought bug.

Then:

I don't know where it is now.

Stealth Weremammoths. And they can wield weapons with their trunk! Apparently an armed weremammoth with stealth is so deadly that it slaughtered the entire caravan before restealthing to hide somewhere on the map. Bet that's bound to make that player paranoid. :v:

Masterwork also got an update recently. It revamps Warlocks a bit to make them much more user friendly. All of the other races also got revamps and upgrades as well, but gently caress them. Warlock mode is stupidly fun if you play it as an evil overlord.

I'm having a blast with it so far. Especially with the new human race, which is pretty entertaining all by itself. I've actually built an actual medieval city above ground. Complete with a house for every human and their (many) families and paved streets to connect them. It's this glorious urban sprawl that stretches for miles around a self sufficient castle located at the center. Said castle is where the civilians flee too when raiders or a monster shows up and where the nobles reside at. If that fort gets wiped out it's going to make for amazing ruins to resettle with another race.

As a side note, the fortress I settled on to make my civ is also the home of my civ's resident deity. She's also the queen of the human civilization i'm playing as, which poses some interesting questions about what's going to happen when I get her as a migrant. Especially since she's a minotaur from a time before recorded history. Said minotaur also apparently learned Masterwork's version of sorcery and was cursed by a god to become a vampire. And that's before I realized she's spent her latter years hermited up in a distant frontier fortress writing books about how awesome she is as a person and ruler.

She also has a ton of artifact books stashed in a vault at the top of the fortress that she spends most of her time hanging out in front of. The one time a thief managed to luck out and get that far inside my fort she literally melted him with a glance via some sort of crazy flesh eating spell. One second he was about to grab a book titled "The Subordinate the Queen", the next he was a noxious puddle on the ground.

So i've got an uncontrollable vampiric minotaur-wizard-god sitting in a tower of her castle snacking on her courtiers and slinging spells whenever some thief manages to sneak their way through a bustling city to try and grab her narcissistic biographies. Masterwork and Dwarf Fortress generate the best stories. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 27, 2014

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it possible to make an embark profile with randomized dwarf skills? I know you can do things like add an amount of random meat, so I am hoping you can do something similar in an embark profile text block for dwarf skills. My goal here is to have a natural looking set of dwarf skills on embark, making them look like refugees instead of handpicked for success.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh. Started a new fort, got sieged by one lone undead dwarf axeman in the first season, and two years in I've had no migrants. My civilization isn't dead, because they just rolled in with a caravan, but I sure would like a few more people. I lost a few to lava accidents. Also, I could have sworn I didn't embark near a Tower, but I've seen that one undead guy and then a human necromancer got caught in a cage. Who knows. I just want people :(

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone had issues with the game running the most recent LNP crashing on exit? Twice now it's conked out when offloading assets for saving and exiting. It typically locks up a bit, but seems to prefer outright crashing instead of waiting to "catch up". Not super annoying, but I've lost a couple longer play sessions due to not having the seasonal autosave enabled (it is now).

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Playing Masterwork again to check out warlocks, but embarks seem to keep starting with 7 warlocks/witches and no skeletons, I could have sworn you started with 1-2 warlocks and ghouls/skeletons the rest. Also, looking at legends, warlocks civs seem to be 99% warlocks with a couple of giants or centaurs, no undead. Is my worldgen broken?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Prop Wash posted:

Huh. Started a new fort, got sieged by one lone undead dwarf axeman in the first season, and two years in I've had no migrants. My civilization isn't dead, because they just rolled in with a caravan, but I sure would like a few more people. I lost a few to lava accidents. Also, I could have sworn I didn't embark near a Tower, but I've seen that one undead guy and then a human necromancer got caught in a cage. Who knows. I just want people :(

If I'm not mistaken, it's still possible to have an issue if you're really, REALLY far from any other civ sites where it ends up taking several months/years for word of your fortress wealth to get around and just as long from then for the migrants to start showing up. I could be grossly mistaken, I haven't read deeply into the mechanics of migration for a few dozen versions, but I'm pretty sure that was at least at one point a concern. I think I as long as you can get caravans, you WILL, eventually, someday, get migrants, but it can take a while.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It appears that any dwarf in my current .19 fortress who has suffered a permanent injury gets stuck in a stress spiral that leaves him completely useless. The "suffered minor injury" trait never goes away and it seems to just feed into the stress score with each tick. Has anybody experienced anything similar? Any workaround?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So I'm playing v.23 and the new priorities system seems pretty great so far. I can designate things with 7 levels of priority, which has a lot of applications - for example if I want to cut away a mountainside I can go top to bottom designating ramps and the dorfs will never cause a cave-in by cutting a lower level before an upper level. Dorfs seem to drop their current task if a higher-priority designation comes along, which is as great as you'd think it would be. Also, the trader always beelines for the depot if a trader is requested! And workshops now have a "Do it now!" feature that seems to work fairly well, from what I've noticed.

The only thing I've noticed is that dorfs don't always multitask well. I have a carpenter/woodcutter, and once he gets started on his "Make Wooden Barrel (R)" task, he doesn't like to stop it to go cut down trees. But that was a problem before the patch too.

Oh, and it took me like two games to notice, but if you designate mining, there's a little thing down at the bottom that says "Designating all" and if you switch it around you can choose to area-designate ONLY ore and gems, or even automine ore and gems! It's pretty magical.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

The only thing I've noticed is that dorfs don't always multitask well. I have a carpenter/woodcutter, and once he gets started on his "Make Wooden Barrel (R)" task, he doesn't like to stop it to go cut down trees. But that was a problem before the patch too.

Build a chair and designate a manager dwarf! Instead of just making wooden barrels into perpetuity you can just have your carpenter pump out the thirty or so you actually want and then he will move right along to cutting down trees. Barring some other production job.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

It appears that any dwarf in my current .19 fortress who has suffered a permanent injury gets stuck in a stress spiral that leaves him completely useless. The "suffered minor injury" trait never goes away and it seems to just feed into the stress score with each tick. Has anybody experienced anything similar? Any workaround?

Having this same problem. My legendary plus whatever miner is now permanently chained to a wall and everyone else with even a minor injury keeps going ape. Also in .19. Maybe fixed in the latest?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

canepazzo posted:

Playing Masterwork again to check out warlocks, but embarks seem to keep starting with 7 warlocks/witches and no skeletons, I could have sworn you started with 1-2 warlocks and ghouls/skeletons the rest. Also, looking at legends, warlocks civs seem to be 99% warlocks with a couple of giants or centaurs, no undead. Is my worldgen broken?

They might have gotten wiped out or something. Sometimes world gens on certain premade map settings are predisposed to give certain results. Getting orcs in Cursed Urborg for instance is a pain in the rear end since it's such a stunningly hostile place to them. Add in more races (races like tigermen seem to make it worse due to the competition) and there's usually a brutal spat of racial wars that determine which civ occupies their corner of the map. It does sometimes create some pretty epic tombs and sites if you can find them though.

I also just had another minotaur deity show up, which is something i've never had happen in Fortress mode before. He was announced like a titan would be and was friendly. Dude just waltzed into the castle to start chilling with my other minotaur-wizard-vampire-author deity. That brought my fortress up to two deities living in it. Sadly the game crashed not five minutes later. Probably because the game didn't know what the gently caress to do with a unit like that.

It's impressive that i've been playing this for so long and i'm still encountering rare events like that though. I had no idea that gods could just show up and decide to chill out in your fort. Maybe he was another god of my civilization? :psyduck:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 28, 2014

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

canepazzo posted:

If you're playing the latest version, Meph changed it so that you start off with more warlocks. He also changed the migrant waves to be mostly warlocks. You can now embark with prisoners and slaughter them to create skeletons and zombies, though to get zombies to work you have to add the Intelligent tag to their raws.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

reignofevil posted:

Build a chair and designate a manager dwarf! Instead of just making wooden barrels into perpetuity you can just have your carpenter pump out the thirty or so you actually want and then he will move right along to cutting down trees. Barring some other production job.

I said it before, but as soon as you embark, designate a manager. He does not need a chair or a room, and does not even stop to do manager duties since orders are insantly signed.

This works up to 20 dwarves iirc. So the second migration wave. Do it every time and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Looks like you aren't the only one: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8672