Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The Vapors do the job, but they don't look great in my opinion, and they do take a bit of work wiring them in. Not that cheap either. I'd make the stock stuff work if it were my bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

n8r posted:

You know some people buy working motorcycles that they can just ride when they buy them. You may want to consider doing that in the future.

I have every intention of buying one of these 'working motorcycles' but always end up with broken poo poo because it's cheaper and I always seem to forget that I hate projects. One day.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Bugdrvr posted:

I have every intention of buying one of these 'working motorcycles' but always end up with broken poo poo because it's cheaper and I always seem to forget that I hate projects. One day.

I kinda like projects. I got that stupid Venture for free because it wasn't running. The carbs just needed some love.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I like them to, well the idea at least, but I fix cars all day long and that kind of ruins me wanting to do anything mechanical outside of work.
Next bike I buy will be fuel injected and no more than 10 years old. I *almost* promise myself.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Marxalot posted:

Counterpoint: My x-grip almost tossed my phone off the bike at a whopping 45mph the first time I used it. I'm still not entirely sure why it did that, but I haven't had time to put it back on the bike and mess around some empty street where it won't get run over.

e: I take it back. I have no idea why it came loose the first time (I was OCD as poo poo about how it was placed on the mount), but I did just now screw around the less populated side of town for half an hour with it on. It never even moved despite doing 90 on a DRZ and popping over a few curbs. I'll test it out some more when it's not 4am and I'm less likely to get arrested.

Just be very very careful with them I guess? The only thing I changed was that I set it horizontally instead of vertically.

You need to be careful and make sure that the phone is mounted squarely in the thing, and you don't have some corner sticking out, otherwise yeah, it'll come out.

Also, if you have a "phablet" (a really big effin phone) You'll want the bigger model.

I have an HTC One max (work phone) that barely fits in the thing, but still sticks snugly. Anything even remotely bigger needs something, err, bigger.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 22, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
You know, you can buy working motorcycles that are also projects...

(I'll see myself out)

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Day Man posted:

Have you tried partial choke? I can't imagine the compression went bad, either. Sorry it's been more trouble than expected! :( My new one has been, too. Its in the shop now, I'm hoping they can figure it out.

Eh, I knew what I was getting into (~A Mystery~), and it's a 2nd bike so I'm having a head-scratchingly masochistic good time tearing into the guts of it without the pressure of getting it done in a reasonable time frame.

I don't know a lot about motorcycles, and I hadn't touched a carburetor since I sold my first car, but I know more than I did before I bought the thing and that always makes me happy.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So, quick question re: bike diagnosis.

06 DR650, 80k miles:
Engine stopped once a couple weeks ago when stuck in one lane traffic for a while, may have gotten real hot?

Has begun to not start when it's been recently run, like if I get back to it after a quick run into the store. Every time, if I let it sit for 15 mins, it starts right up no problem. Cranks just fine, sounds like it's almost starting, but doesn't.

It's a couple thousand miles overdue for an oil change. Being that it's oil/air cooled, is it possible that has something to do with it?

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 24, 2014

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Motorcycle covers, yes or no?

I live at an apartment in el paso, so unfortunately my bike is outdoor all the time and have heard opinions for having and not having one.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I liked having one when I didn't have a carport to park it under.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Nate Falls posted:

So, quick question re: bike diagnosis.

06 DR650, 80k miles:
Engine stopped once a couple weeks ago when stuck in one lane traffic for a while, may have gotten real hot?

Has begun to not start when it's been recently run, like if I get back to it after a quick run into the store. Every time, if I let it sit for 15 mins, it starts right up no problem. Cranks just fine, sounds like it's almost starting, but doesn't.

It's a couple thousand miles overdue for an oil change. Being that it's oil/air cooled, is it possible that has something to do with it?

If you're that far over change the oil. You need to do it any way and if it fixes the issue bonus. If it doesn't then your still ahead.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Yeah, I figured I needed to do that anyway, so I got it done.

I'm afraid to test it though, because that means I gotta go out to buy more xmas presents and then maybe she no starty when it's time to come home.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
If that didn't fix it you may be running rich anyway. Too rich to start easily when warm. Do you need any choke when the bike is cold? If not this could point that way.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you bought a used pipe with the description "It's still like new, no dents or anything," would you be surprised by how dented this inlet is?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dismayed? Certainly. Surprised? Not a chance.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

It's still like new, no dents or anything

Oh man, those contents settled during shipment. Learn to spot when the advertiser doth protest too much. If it's like new, then dents are an odd thing to introduce in a sentence that lists no other physical traits. Works really well with small children too, although they have more advanced language skills than the average CL ad author.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

kenny powerzzz posted:

If that didn't fix it you may be running rich anyway. Too rich to start easily when warm. Do you need any choke when the bike is cold? If not this could point that way.

Only when it's real cold outside. I just took it 2 miles to the store and it's barely warm and not starting in the parking lot :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Oh man, those contents settled during shipment. Learn to spot when the advertiser doth protest too much. If it's like new, then dents are an odd thing to introduce in a sentence that lists no other physical traits. Works really well with small children too, although they have more advanced language skills than the average CL ad author.

Don't buy children with dents is sound advice for anybody.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Nate Falls posted:

Only when it's real cold outside. I just took it 2 miles to the store and it's barely warm and not starting in the parking lot :(

I could be wrong but I think you have carb trouble.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Slavvy posted:

Don't buy children with dents is sound advice for anybody.

Ugh. The parents in the house know what I mean. All...three of you?

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

kenny powerzzz posted:

I could be wrong but I think you have carb trouble.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Anything I can do about it here in a grocery parking lot?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Saturday morning, fired up the bike, seemed ok, rode it down a few blocks, the idle suddenly dropped very low and it seemed like one of the cylinders wasn't firing, bike eventually died on its own.

The battery is about a month old, haven't had an issue in that area.

Replaced the air filter this morning

Replaced all 4 spark plugs, noticed the old #3 plug was a little wet and smelled of fuel.

The fuel pump is priming and there is definitely fuel flowing from the tank when I checked.

Tried starting it back up a bunch of times after putting it all back together, still wont start. It sounds like it almost catches sometimes, but never fully runs on its own.

All the fuses are good. Haven't really checked relays yet, but I can hear the starter relay click.

I'm a bit confused now as what i've missed, I had a similar problem with a Yamaha R1 before but swapped new plugs in and it fired right up and the symptoms on my Kawasaki are very similar. Any thoughts to what I may have missed?

I pulled the battery and let it charge to full, left it off the charger overnight and checked it with a meter, reading about 13.15 volts.

Ordered a set of coils off ebay for ~20$ to see if replacing the #3 one fixes it, i'll double check all my connections from when I took things apart to get to the spark plugs.

Oh it's a Kawasaki 636 2006

infraboy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 24, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Ugh. The parents in the house know what I mean. All...three of you?

We're all children on this forum.

Children who hate hipsters.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
poo poo, bikey still no starty. This is what I get for not just taking my truck to the store. Anyone think they can help get me home, call or text NUMBER DELETED and lead me through how to not die in a Food 4 Less parking lot

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 24, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Nate Falls posted:

poo poo, bikey still no starty. This is what I get for not just taking my truck to the store. Anyone think they can help get me home, call or text 714.932.9919

I will get right on it!! It will cost 2023€ and I will be in san fran at 16:25 (25/12). Does this work for you?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

settled during shipment.

That was his line when I mentioned it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

That was his line when I mentioned it.

Plot twist: Marv was the eBay seller you bought it from.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CraigSlice posted:

I live at an apartment in el paso, so unfortunately my bike is outdoor all the time and have heard opinions for having and not having one.

Covers are good. Keeps people from prying and protects from dust and sun.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

quick, how to best attach a santa hat to my helmet?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M42 posted:

Double sided tape with superglue on the hat side?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
If it's temp (I assume it is), I'd go with some elastic. You can attach it pretty quickly/easily with either needle and thread, or just a safety pin or two.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

I sewed strips of rubberized waterproof fabric sticking out of the bottom of the hat and used mailing tape to attach them to the helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nate Falls posted:

poo poo, bikey still no starty. This is what I get for not just taking my truck to the store. Anyone think they can help get me home, call or text NUMBER DELETED and lead me through how to not die in a Food 4 Less parking lot

Have you ever checked the valves on that thing? Sounds like the valves are super tight.
Hope you made it home :ohdear:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Z3n posted:

Have you ever checked the valves on that thing? Sounds like the valves are super tight.

I didn't think of that and it definitely makes sense. Especially with that many miles. I hope you made it home too.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

CraigSlice posted:

Nthing "buy a cover." Your bike wont rust out there, but the sun, wind, and dust will degrade the clear coat and then slowly sandblast and ruin the paint.

I bought the cheapest one from Walmart that fit for $45 and it's lasted for most of a decade, and most of that time in full Florida sun. Definitely worth the buy.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Z3n posted:

Thanks, guys. I had to push it a miles, then Smythe picked me up and we hung out and a few hours later it started and I got home in the wee hours of Christmas Eve. Gonna see if I have a valve...gauge...thing.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Kilersquirrel posted:

Nthing "buy a cover." Your bike wont rust out there, but the sun, wind, and dust will degrade the clear coat and then slowly sandblast and ruin the paint.

I bought the cheapest one from Walmart that fit for $45 and it's lasted for most of a decade, and most of that time in full Florida sun. Definitely worth the buy.

Buy a cover as a way to ward off theft. Its less like someone is going to go through the hassle of removing a cover, and a disc lock, for your bike. Also I use covers on my bikes in Austin normally and I'm at an apartment. Granted I left the cover off my bike and got my bike stolen. I don't think it would have made much of a different, but it keeps looky loos from coming over to check out their next sweet score if they don't see that new CBR sitting there.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What weight oil do you guys generally use for the motor?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

What weight oil do you guys generally use for the motor?

10W-40, which is also my rap name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Rotella T6 5W-40 or Rotella T 15W-40

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 29, 2014