Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Anyone see Shorten's Xmas message? Full of as much verve and charisma as you could expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Who?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

People threatening a restaurant owner in Longreach who sparked controversy by displaying a sign saying "sorry no Muslims" may face legal consequences, police have warned.

An image of the sign, displayed outside Longreach's Eagles Nest Bar and Grill, was posted to the restaurant's Facebook page last Friday, triggering strong - and mixed - reactions.

Owner of the restaurant John Hawkes said he had received more than 200 phone calls as a result, some of which he described as abusive and threatening.

Longreach Police Inspector Mark Henderson said people sending threatening messages may face criminal charges.

"People who are threatening the owner and his wife, especially if those threats cross a certain threshold, may well face criminal charges themselves," he said.

"Two wrongs don't make a right and people need to understand that freedom of speech is out there and people are allowed to express those views, providing that those views don't breach the legislation of the state or Commonwealth."

Mr Hawkes said on Monday the sign was up for a total of nine hours.

"Over the past 24 hours, my business and now my home has received more than 200 phone calls," Mr Hawkes said.

"While the great majority are in support of free speech and are of patriotic sentiment, we have fielded too many abusive and threatening calls. For this I apologise to my family.

"I sincerely hope I don't end up sanitising my every thought to the robotic degree that is evident in commercial life around us.

"I did not encourage or envisage the social media response to this sign, but the story, if there is one, is in the reaction, not the action."

He said the restaurant's message this week would focus on Santa Claus and a Samaritan.

Views 'ignorant and bigoted'

Queensland Islamic Community spokesman Ali Kadri said while Mr Hawkes' actions were "ignorant and bigoted", they were born from a lack of cultural understanding.

"I think the reason this person has the views he has is because there's not a large Islamic population in Longreach," Mr Kadri said.

Mr Kadri said Muslims would be discouraged from travelling to outback Queensland towns.

"We've had sad incidents where violence was used against Muslims ... because unfortunately any violent idea starts from the head and comes out in the hands, so there will be fear," he said.

"We are all Australians, we want to build a cohesive and peaceful society and a successful nation for all of us, and our children, so to do so we need to communicate, we need to talk.

"If you have any fear, any misconceptions about a community, go and talk to a person from that community."

The ABC contacted Mr Hawkes but he declined to comment further.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Imo using terms like "The Latte Set" is the hallmark of a great thinker.

Also, every small business owner reacts the same way when they cop flack for advertising bigotry lol.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 24, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Egg.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Zing

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

freedom of speech is bad

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Scott Morrison has a dream: to fund NDIS by cutting welfare. It's like a hilarious nightmare:

So this is his strategy to get around the Senate. Hahaha he's dreaming. This story was apparently posted at midnight. What timing eh. Merry loving Xmas, peasants.
Oh that well known magic pudding of funding - the social security net. The man's a genius!

I also note that NTATA, despite having flubbed it a couple of times, continues to try and cash out on the Martin Place tragedy with his 'increased terror chatter' announcement. Erm, aren't these the same terror experts who failed to give any indication about the actual incident that, incidently, isn't generally thought to have been an actual terror attack? Cake? Eat it?

Worst of all is the totally spineless forced resignation of John Robertson over? Doing his job as an elected representative. It is virtually identical to insisting that defence lawyers are disbarred upon their client's conviction. I know I live in a fantasy world but there was clearly a strategy to improve Robertson's profile by him loudly insisting upon this very principle. Most people who might actually change their voting intention would take away the message and narrative of 'Fair Go', 'Doing the right Thing', and 'Where would we be if our representatives couldn't ever make representations on our behalf'.

No the NSW Labor machine decided that dog whistle whisper politics and spineless back flips would be a better sell. They were probably going to lose either way but this sets all kinds of ridiculous precedents.

Oh merry loving christmas cloacae.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

katlington posted:

Imo using terms like "The Latte Set" is the hallmark of a great thinker.

Also, every small business owner reacts the same way when they cop flack for advertising bigotry lol.

Lattes are for posers anyhow

bell jar posted:

freedom of speech is bad

Ahh yes freedom of speech, enshrined in law in Australias 1st amendment

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

bell jar posted:

freedom of speech is bad

We should say whatever we want. Free speech.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Scott Morrison has a dream: to fund NDIS by cutting welfare. It's like a hilarious nightmare:

So this is his strategy to get around the Senate. Hahaha he's dreaming. This story was apparently posted at midnight. What timing eh. Merry loving Xmas, peasants.

Where are the cuts coming from; there isn't anything to cut from newstart and they wont cut the aged pension.
Cut disability to fund disability, makes perfect sense...

Cartoon posted:

Worst of all is the totally spineless forced resignation of John Robertson over? Doing his job as an elected representative.

Anyone in NSW who has the slightest bit of interest in politics would not find this news unexpected. The guy was essentially a seat warmer. Oh no someone recognised the seat warmer, better replace him with a more inscrutable figure. You'd think the Labor party would care about who they run for the premier of NSW, but apparently not. They've just rolled over and faced to bloodshed.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 24, 2014

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Matthew Beet posted:

Lattes are for posers anyhow

I will not have anything bad said about the wonders of a caramel latte :colbert:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In comparison to Joe Hockey, what are the credentials of Chris 'funny voice' Bowen?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

I also note that NTATA, despite having flubbed it a couple of times, continues to try and cash out on the Martin Place tragedy with his 'increased terror chatter' announcement. Erm, aren't these the same terror experts who failed to give any indication about the actual incident that, incidently, isn't generally thought to have been an actual terror attack? Cake? Eat it?

There's a whole redefinition battle going on and it appears connected to #illridewithyou. Even bloggers like Piping Shrike hitherto well-known for their clarity are in a fog over it. I'm picking on this post in particular because the desire to have cake and eat it is so unusually strong, it's a surprise.

We seem to be redefining #illridewithyou in terms of right and left again because apparently it must be lefty if righties say it is, and once we've accomplished that magic trick, we're now redefining what righties objections to it are based on redefining why we think it's a lefty problem. I don't see the problem with #illridewithyou whether it is a lefty thing or not. What I do see is the unwillingness to view the reaction against it as an attempt to reclaim a narrative that people across the political spectrum clearly do not want to buy.

So now Piping Shrike says it was a terrorist attack but not an organized one (figure that out, I can't). Well, people aren't buying it. I don't think that's simply because it's what the media desperately wants, it's bloody obvious one deranged man is not representative of a community. Why is that hard to grasp? And the reason #illridewithyou took off isn't merely because of some odd sociological tic that Piping Shrike prefers, its that ordinary people stood up against a prevailing narrative, and that's the media or Right Wing Justice Warrior's problem, whatever. It's not our problem.

It may be precisely for the reasons you mention that the redefinition battle has commenced so that somehow the deficit in our security theatre gets papered over. It's certainly not the preferred focus of bloggers or MSM.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Tokamak posted:

Where are the cuts coming from; there isn't anything to cut from newstart and they wont cut the aged pension.
Cut disability to fund disability, makes perfect sense...

He's playing hostage with the Senate again. If you want the NDIS best pass our 6 month welfare reforms.

Then it's IR reforms for the new year.

quote:

"I sincerely hope I don't end up sanitising my every thought to the robotic degree that is evident in commercial life around us.

"I did not encourage or envisage the social media response to this sign, but the story, if there is one, is in the reaction, not the action."

:qq: People shouldn't respond to my bigotry :qq:

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon

Anidav posted:

I've been hoping for atleast a year and a half for the ALP to get its poo poo together.

Don't hold your breath because you might die, hopefully like the Labor party does because they shouldn't exist in their current form and are a disgrace to the movements that inspired the party.

quote:

People threatening a restaurant owner in Longreach who sparked controversy by displaying a sign saying "sorry no Muslims" may face legal consequences, police have warned.

An image of the sign, displayed outside Longreach's Eagles Nest Bar and Grill, was posted to the restaurant's Facebook page last Friday, triggering strong - and mixed - reactions.
Owner of the restaurant John Hawkes said he had received more than 200 phone calls as a result, some of which he described as abusive and threatening.

Longreach Police Inspector Mark Henderson said people sending threatening messages may face criminal charges.

"People who are threatening the owner and his wife, especially if those threats cross a certain threshold, may well face criminal charges themselves," he said.

hmmm yeah it is ok to ban a people from a restaurant based on their choice of religion but not ok to kill racists
what a lovely world

It is political correctness gone mad, if I can't say literally any stupid loving thing that pops up into my head no matter how much it insults a person and discriminates against them because words have inherent power and can cause more damage to a person's well being than actual physical violence, then what is the point? Reading Mein Kampf inside a synagogue is my god given loving right *smashes bundy can into forehead and drools onto self*

i got banned fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 24, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When I worked at the coffee shop I would mix a ton of white chocolate syrup with like six shots of coffee and add some milk and drink that.

It was so good, but then for like three hours I'd just be shaking uncontrollably.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

When I worked at the coffee shop I would mix a ton of white chocolate syrup with like six shots of coffee and add some milk and drink that.

It was so good, but then for like three hours I'd just be shaking uncontrollably.

Literally shaking as you make coffees.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

hooman posted:

Literally shaking as you make coffees.

Pretty much. Anyone who came in the early afternoon probably thought I was a crack addict.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Hang on. Didn't Labor introduce a new levy to fund the NDIS?

Where's that gone then, Reichsfuhrer? Oh right, pissed away on jet planes, yeah.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

One term Tony please for the love of god Australia.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
but angus and julia stone wrote that song big jet plane I'm getting conflicting messages here

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

i got banned posted:

but angus and julia stone wrote that song big jet plane I'm getting conflicting messages here
How's that? They are all weapons of mass destruction.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

i got banned posted:

Angus and Juliar Stone.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
the Australian people certainly got taken for a ride

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

ewe2 posted:

So he's declaring a crackdown on welfare cheats to

a) Support the NDIS
b) Support pensioners

Apparently ignoring that the largest group of people committing welfare fraud are pensioners. Will he be willing to crackdown on old people? Force them back into work!

I honestly wish Labor and the independents would call this governments bluff and let it suffocate from lack of bills.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon

thatbastardken posted:

I don't want to empty quote but this is perfect

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

thatbastardken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

thatbastardken posted:

its ghastful baybee

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Konomex posted:

a) Support the NDIS
b) Support pensioners

Apparently ignoring that the largest group of people committing welfare fraud are pensioners. Will he be willing to crackdown on old people? Force them back into work!

I honestly wish Labor and the independents would call this governments bluff and let it suffocate from lack of bills.

That mostly seems to be happening?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Thread background please Xylo

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Konomex posted:

a) Support the NDIS
b) Support pensioners

It means we're kicking the young fakers (they're all fakers) out but our base won't be touched.

quote:

“This system is there to help people in genuine need and those who aren’t in that situation and don’t need to be on it and may be taking a lend of it are the only people who have to be worried about me being Social Services Minister,” Mr Morrison said.

“The system should be there for people who need it, particularly for the Age Pension, where people have paid taxes their whole lives, they have earned their retirement,” Mr Morrison told The Australian in an interview yesterday.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ewe2 posted:

quote:

Mr Morrison dismissed his critics and Labor frontbenchers who said he lacked compassion and would “overreach” in making savings on welfare, saying he concentrated on outcomes, such as stopping children drowning at sea.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen - the ends justify the means.

Cartoon posted:

I also note that NOTED TORTURE APOLOGIST TONY ABBOTT, despite having flubbed it a couple of times, continues to try and cash out on the Martin Place tragedy with his 'increased terror chatter' announcement. Erm, aren't these the same terror experts who failed to give any indication about the actual incident that, incidently, isn't generally thought to have been an actual terror attack? Cake? Eat it?

I find it hard to think of a man who wrote nasty letters to servicepeople as a terrorist. If making the families of our military personnel sad is all it takes to become a terrorist then, the government which has promised to cut welfare for the orphans of soldiers killed in battle would have to considered terrorists as well.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

quote:

“The system should be there for people who need it, particularly for the Age Pension, where people have paid taxes their whole lives, they have earned their retirement,” Mr Morrison told The Australian in an interview yesterday.

The fact that as a generation they paid less tax and will be supported by those paying more is a whole other discussion.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Nibbles! posted:

The fact that as a generation they paid less tax and will be supported by those paying more is a whole other discussion.

Blah blah blah.... discussion irrelevant.

roy morgan posted:

Analysis by Age group shows the ALP still with its strongest advantage among younger Australians. 18-24yr olds heavily favour the ALP 65% cf. L-NP 35%; 25-34yr olds also heavily favour the ALP 65.5% cf. L-NP 34.5%; 35-49yr olds favour the ALP 58.5% cf. L-NP 41.5%; 50-64yr olds ALP 60.5% cf. L-NP 39.5%; and those aged 65+ still favour the L-NP 54% cf. ALP 46%.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/5981-morgan-poll-federal-voting-intention-december-15-2014-201412150657

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Why do we kept old people around anyway? What do they do any more?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Matthew Beet posted:

To work and earn their superannuation or provide much needed capital for the aged care sector.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Matthew Beet posted:

Manage to keep the entire caravan industry afloat.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
If there were no old people were we source our Werthers Originals and verbose anecdotes about dealings with shopkeepers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Nibbles! posted:

They paid a whole let less tax than the current generation and the gap between amount taxed is much larger when you consider the introduction of the GST and income tax rises after company taxes were cut I believe a few decades ago? It's pretty arguable that a current pensioner would end up recieving more in a few years than the tax they've paid in their entire lives, even accounting for inflation.

But the point of welfare isn't meant to be based on how much tax you've paid, so it's a loving lovely argument from Morrison, who is happy to put a metaphorical gun against the heads of children.

• Locked thread