Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Congratulations. You just put more thought into that post than most paradox space comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Burkion posted:

If he did, then I would guess that the color on the box was meant to go to that specific Troll- Fef was meant to get the fish, Eq the robot, Kanaya the dress. Dunno which of the other Trolls was any good at making robots though

well i mean sollux was computers he could probably make a robot

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The Witness' survival is paramount, John.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I have no idea what the purpose of this update is

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Indecisive posted:

To show John protecting The Witness, an upcoming game by Jonathan Blow.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If I had to guess, it might tie into derailing this http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003942 which was the big set up for Vriska's death scene.

If Hussie is going to have John retcon her alive, this would be the logical place to start- the narrative beginning of her death.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Boy, it sure was exciting to see John do one whole thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not every update needs to be a wall-to-wall action rollercoaster

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Boy, it sure was exciting to see John do one whole thing.

JOHN: DO THE ONE THING.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I liked this update, because it was about John and Terezi doing something funny, instead of plot unimportant characters doing nothing.

segoli
Oct 23, 2010

But of course, from a thief's perspective, the best kind of ladder is the rope-ladder. A step-ladder is much too heavy to carry around, after all.

Burkion posted:

If I had to guess, it might tie into derailing this http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003942 which was the big set up for Vriska's death scene.

If Hussie is going to have John retcon her alive, this would be the logical place to start- the narrative beginning of her death.

Exactly. Given the theme of coin flipping and how the flipper has no control over how the coin lands (barring luck), but can choose to not flip the coin, having another character secretly remove the option to flip it is an interesting way to push the story in a vastly different direction by seemingly completely mundane means.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think that this is the start of a trail of changes she wants John to make near her. Just enough to get her past self to start thinking about all the strange, seemingly impossible things that John is going to do, so that that version of her will be better prepared to help John at the end.

Also in Paradox Space Eridan's gift/love letter got sent back to himself lmao.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 24, 2014

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Which troll gave a bucket full of fluid as their secret sufferer?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Who sent the bust?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

WAR FOOT posted:

Which troll gave a bucket full of fluid as their secret sufferer?

Chalk. She's underwater.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
OK so I don't know who sent what, but logic would say that the color box is MEANT to go to that Troll- so how Karkat hosed it up is anyone's guess.

Fef was meant to get the fish, Eq the robot, Kanaya the dress, so on.

The tricky ones are the ones where we can't see the boxes.

Or else it's just kind of a bunch of nonsense.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Indecisive posted:

To enshrine Gilbert Gottfreid-Terezi as canon.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Burkion posted:

OK so I don't know who sent what, but logic would say that the color box is MEANT to go to that Troll- so how Karkat hosed it up is anyone's guess.

That doesn't make very much sense though, all the trolls sent the others someone they liked/had. Kanaya is the only troll who makes dresses, Equius is the only one who makes robots, etc.

Kanaya sent the dress
Equius sent the robot
Gamzee sent the horns
Feferi sent the cuttlefish
Vriska sent the webs
??? sent the FLARP book
Nepeta sent the shipping wall
Sollux sent the shuriken
Aradia? sent the bust
Eridan sent himself his own cloak
Terezi sent the bucket(!) of chalk.

That leaves Karkat and Tavros' gifts out, but I think out of the two of them only Tavros played FLARP so he probably sent that and Karkat didn't do a Secret Sufferer since he arranged it all.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think it's safe to say Tavros sent the FLARP book, it's more closely associated with his character than Karkat's.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

This is what I took away from it as well.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm onboard with what's been said so far about what Terezi's up to. That time she talked about only seeing two options when she confronted Vriska, but that if she'd had a different outlook she might've considered other options is what could be happening here. If so though we're starting with a pretty subtle first step - I mean yeah, there were obvious narrative parallels between this court scene and when Terezi offs Vriska later, but it's not like you have to change the foreshadowing and narrative themes to change actual events.

If this really is building up to changing the timeline so that Terezi doesn't kill Vriska I'll be really curious to see what happens with the Vriska currently in the dream bubbles that we've been following. Pretty much any possibility would make a big mess, and despite how irrelevant she's claiming she is I suspect we wouldn't be wasting time with the tattooist-carnival if she was just going to get erased.

Also impressed by how fast Terezi was able to bang out a fairly involved and nuanced time-travel plan for John to follow. Guess she had a few years of stewing in regret to think about what she'd change if she only could.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Burkion posted:

The gifts are probably coded according to who sent them. Everyone will get mad at Karkat (or he will get mad at himself) for loving it up, but then it will turn out that noone likes the present they were meant to get anyway, because all the trolls are assholes who only give gifts according to their own interests.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dolash posted:

I'm onboard with what's been said so far about what Terezi's up to. That time she talked about only seeing two options when she confronted Vriska, but that if she'd had a different outlook she might've considered other options is what could be happening here. If so though we're starting with a pretty subtle first step - I mean yeah, there were obvious narrative parallels between this court scene and when Terezi offs Vriska later, but it's not like you have to change the foreshadowing and narrative themes to change actual events.

If this really is building up to changing the timeline so that Terezi doesn't kill Vriska I'll be really curious to see what happens with the Vriska currently in the dream bubbles that we've been following. Pretty much any possibility would make a big mess, and despite how irrelevant she's claiming she is I suspect we wouldn't be wasting time with the tattooist-carnival if she was just going to get erased.

Also impressed by how fast Terezi was able to bang out a fairly involved and nuanced time-travel plan for John to follow. Guess she had a few years of stewing in regret to think about what she'd change if she only could.

How would you stop vriska from challenging Noir just by changing things in Terezi's life? It's not like she can disappear Vriska until the trolls land.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Another possibility: Terezi, confused by the disappearance of the witness, smells what's left of The Breeze from John's presence. Later on, this becomes relevant when she meets John.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GodFish posted:

That doesn't make very much sense though, all the trolls sent the others someone they liked/had. Kanaya is the only troll who makes dresses, Equius is the only one who makes robots, etc.

Kanaya sent the dress
Equius sent the robot
Gamzee sent the horns
Feferi sent the cuttlefish
Vriska sent the webs
??? sent the FLARP book
Nepeta sent the shipping wall
Sollux sent the shuriken
Aradia? sent the bust
Eridan sent himself his own cloak
Terezi sent the bucket(!) of chalk.

That leaves Karkat and Tavros' gifts out, but I think out of the two of them only Tavros played FLARP so he probably sent that and Karkat didn't do a Secret Sufferer since he arranged it all.

Mazerunner posted:

The gifts are probably coded according to who sent them. Everyone will get mad at Karkat (or he will get mad at himself) for loving it up, but then it will turn out that noone likes the present they were meant to get anyway, because all the trolls are assholes who only give gifts according to their own interests.

Here's the issue- I already considered that:

Burkion posted:

So I'm honestly curious- did Karkat screw up the gifts? If so I wonder who gave who what

If he didn't then the answer is pretty obvious- the box matches the blood color of the one giving the gift, so Eq built a robot, Kanaya made that dress, so on, so forth.

If he did, then I would guess that the color on the box was meant to go to that specific Troll- Fef was meant to get the fish, Eq the robot, Kanaya the dress. Dunno which of the other Trolls was any good at making robots though

What made me reconsider was one gift in particular-

Gamzee. Gamzee, by this logic, got a gift from Nepeta that was... a stone bust?

That doesn't make any sense, as we SEE what Nepeta's gift actually is with Vriska up above.

I'm thinking Equius sent the stone bust, as it is ART and STRONG ART at that, to Nepeta. That's the only one I can accurately trace back though as the rest are pretty obscure without more information.

Grapplejack posted:

How would you stop vriska from challenging Noir just by changing things in Terezi's life? It's not like she can disappear Vriska until the trolls land.

That'd be easy.

John shows up and stops the coin toss the wrong way. He takes away the choice and makes his own luck, and Vriska has to stay.

Or something else happens!

Burkion fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 24, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
John shows up and takes away the choice by murdering Vriska himself.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Well presumably you stop her from approaching Vriska in a way guaranteed to feed into Vriska's rivalry fixation. Terezi's major regret is painting herself into a corner where the only two options were "kill" or "die".

That being said I'm not sure how Vriska being alive unfucks the situation any. I would think that John keeping hold of the ring would do the job.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It unfucks her character, hopefully.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 24, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

paranoid randroid posted:

Well presumably you stop her from approaching Vriska in a way guaranteed to feed into Vriska's rivalry fixation. Terezi's major regret is painting herself into a corner where the only two options were "kill" or "die".

That being said I'm not sure how Vriska being alive unfucks the situation any. I would think that John keeping hold of the ring would do the job.

Vriska not being dead means she's around for the meteor trip, which means Terezi doesn't have to resort to getting into a hosed up relationship with the clown. That mutes Gamzee's influence in general, makes Terezi much more effective person coming out of the other side of the meteor trip, and puts another God Tier on the field if/when they go punch Lord English (a ludicrously overpowered one at that).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Burkion posted:

This is also shortly before she starts trying to assemble her half of the session.

That might be an interesting little butterfly effect if it jiggles the chain of entrances. Didn't Karkat say something along the lines of him being too good a mediator so the troll teams weren't killing each other and creating god tiers?

God tier Terezi would at least be more than an afterthought to god tier Vriska, and likely expand the possibility space.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Glazius posted:

This is also shortly before she starts trying to assemble her half of the session.

That might be an interesting little butterfly effect if it jiggles the chain of entrances. Didn't Karkat say something along the lines of him being too good a mediator so the troll teams weren't killing each other and creating god tiers?

God tier Terezi would at least be more than an afterthought to god tier Vriska, and likely expand the possibility space.

All the trolls get tiger. Dancestors included.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Glazius posted:

Vriska did, but at the time she was trying to make herself feel justified for her murder of Tavros so I doubt we're supposed to take it as truth.

At any rate taking away the coin flip should help fix Terezi's character regardless of whether Vriska lives and dies, because one of the reason's she got so depressed was because she put herself in a situation where someone who used to be her best friend was either going to get everyone killed or die herself, and she did this because she thought those were the only two options available. So if she at least tries a third option, even if it results in Vriska's death, it should prevent from getting down with the clown.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
It all seems pretty obvious to me. By saving Vriska, John ensures she'll be on the meteor for the three year journey. With everyone constantly complaining about how they have to squeeze past her massive bulk in the corridors, Vriska will be embarrassed into finally losing weight. Hussie will discover he doesn't love her when she's not fat and never present her with the Lifey Ring. John, being beyond canon, will retain possession of the ring, but as it no longer exists in canon then nobody will know it exists.
No Gamzee hiding in the fridge, no stealing Rose's cushion to present the ring to Aranea, no plan by Aranea to come to life and gently caress with timelines, therefore no [s]Game Over, and John is left in possession of an object of incredible power which nobody has any reason to suspect is even a thing in the first place.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Slime posted:

All the trolls get tiger. Dancestors included.

Except for Karkat. He'll never get to fly.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cleretic posted:

It's good to finally see confirmation for what I always knew in my heart to be true.

Next, Karkat gets confirmed as the rooster teeth rage quit guy (who hates facebook.)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The record-scratch glitches were foreshadowing John coming back to fix the narrative. :tinfoil:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lupus Rufus posted:

Another possibility: Terezi, confused by the disappearance of the witness, smells what's left of The Breeze from John's presence. Later on, this becomes relevant when she meets John.

Hell, given how her "sight" seems to work it could become relevant when she messagestrolls him for the first time, through the viewport.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wyld Karde posted:

It all seems pretty obvious to me. By saving Vriska, John ensures she'll be on the meteor for the three year journey. With everyone constantly complaining about how they have to squeeze past her massive bulk in the corridors, Vriska will be embarrassed into finally losing weight. Hussie will discover he doesn't love her when she's not fat and never present her with the Lifey Ring. John, being beyond canon, will retain possession of the ring, but as it no longer exists in canon then nobody will know it exists.
No Gamzee hiding in the fridge, no stealing Rose's cushion to present the ring to Aranea, no plan by Aranea to come to life and gently caress with timelines, therefore no [s]Game Over, and John is left in possession of an object of incredible power which nobody has any reason to suspect is even a thing in the first place.

i like how this started out as an obvious joke and turned into something resembling serious speculation by the end

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tollymain posted:

i like how this started out as an obvious joke and turned into something resembling serious speculation by the end

A metaphor for Homestuck- and our souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah p much