Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

"you know, it's funny how employers have stopped getting free press for offering engineers six-figure starting salaries..."

it cracks me up that senior "engineers" generally need 3 years of experience in whatever they're "senior" in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it cracks me up that senior "engineers" generally need 3 years of experience in whatever they're "senior" in

"primary" is the new "senior"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
rotor is primary, yall

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Nintendo Kid posted:

rotor is primary, yall

principal member of YOSPOS staff

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Instead of narrowing gender gaps, the technology industry created vast new ones for Stanford University’s pioneering class of 1994.

“I tell people I graduated from Stanford the day the web was born,” said another alumnus, Justin Kitch, whose senior thesis turned into a start-up that turned into an Intuit acquisition.

Yet instead of narrowing gender gaps, the technology industry created vast new ones, according to interviews with dozens of members of the class and a broad array of Silicon Valley and Stanford figures. “We were sitting on an oil boom, and the fact is that the women played a support role instead of walking away with billion-dollar businesses,” said Kamy Wicoff, who founded a website for female writers.

“If meritocracy exists anywhere on earth, it is in Silicon Valley,” David Sacks, an early figure at PayPal who went on to found other companies, emailed that weekend from San Francisco, where he was renovating one of the most expensive homes ever purchased in the city.

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 24, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

quote:

Uber CEO faces two years in prison for operating illegal taxi service in South Korea

South Korean prosecutors have indicted the founder of Uber, Travis Kalanick, for operating an illegal taxi service in the country. The formal accusation against Kalanick and another man, a local rental car service operator, was made without physical detention. Yonhap News says that violators of the Korean law in question, which stops rental car services from offering paid passenger transport, could face a fine of up to 20 million won ($18,121), or up to two years in jail.

Uber officially launched in the South Korean capital city of Seoul in August 2013, after a test phase that began in June, but only started trialling its UberX service — which pays private drivers for using their own car as a taxi — in August this year. The ride-sharing service faced anger from local taxi drivers, upset that amateur drivers were undercutting their fares. Where Uber doesn't require that its UberX drivers have any special licenses, private Seoul taxi drivers can reportedly expect to pay around 70 million won ($63,477) for the proper documentation.

The service also faced staunch opposition from local authorities: Korea's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport declared that the ride-sharing app was illegal before it officially launched, and other branches of the administration made it clear that Uber would not be welcome in the country. "As soon as testing phases are over," a spokesperson for the Seoul city government said in September, "our dedicated squad will begin clamping down on Uber drivers." The city has made good on the threat, passing an ordinance last week that offers a 1 million won ($910) reward for anyone who reports on Uber's activities. For the moment, an Uber spokesperson said the service was operating as normal in the city.

:unsmigghh:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat want me some of that reward money, i hope us cities start offering uber bounties so i finally have a use for that boba fett mask

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

lmao 'I love uber and I will keep using it even if I get into a fight with one of the drivers, it would be the drivers fault (or mine) not uber's fault.'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's amazing how loving committed nerds are to the belief that uber is new and groundbreaking and solving hitherto unaddressed issues in private transit.

if you manage to hold them down and stuff their face in the fact that jitney cabs have been around for over a hundred years and were legislated out of existence for exactly the same reasons uber is, they just fall back to "it's different this time, because computers"

it's absurd how reticent they are to acknowledge that the legislation is not lagging the technology, if anything it's ahead of it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's sad that so many cities have allowed their regulated cabs to become worse than jitneys

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what it comes down to is they're just stubborn, completely selfish shitheads. uber works great for them (in their mind), so they don't care what or how bad the downsides are.

i've wrangled a couple of self-described "libertarians" to the point where i got them to plainly admit that even if outcomes were clearly and conclusively worse on the whole as a result of their preferred policies (like "you shouldn't be able to arrest someone for drunk driving. you should only be able to arrest them after they've hurt someone"), they would still want those policies enacted.

'gently caress you, got mine' really isn't an exaggeration for a lot of people, unfortunately

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's sad that so many cities have allowed their regulated cabs to become worse than jitneys

yeah, agreed, which is why i get super frustrated when people say 'oh well cabs are terrible too' like that makes any difference to the argument that 'uber is bad'. now if uber actually gave a poo poo about background checks and providing a safer and better experience than cabs in addition to being cheaper, we might actually be able to say we have something new here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

“I tell people I graduated from Stanford the day the web was born,” said another alumnus, Justin Kitch, whose senior thesis turned into a start-up that turned into an Intuit acquisition.
I guess all those websites we made before that didn't exist?

gently caress stanford forever

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qirex posted:

FSF lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

what do you mean that i can't have a dot commerce web address for my reboot fan page

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah, agreed, which is why i get super frustrated when people say 'oh well cabs are terrible too' like that makes any difference to the argument that 'uber is bad'. now if uber actually gave a poo poo about background checks and providing a safer and better experience than cabs in addition to being cheaper, we might actually be able to say we have something new here.

the thing is, if that were even remotely profitable or in any way connected to profitability the cab companies would be doing it voluntarily.

it's not, and they aren't, they do it because they're compelled by law. so a bad actor like uber that deliberately flaunts regulation as a core component of their business model has absolutely no interest in safety, it's just an added cost. specifically it's a higher cost than simply ignoring the law and paying the relevant fines.

if uber is anything they're the ultimate expression of laissez faire capitalism

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

if uber is anything they're the ultimate expression of laissez faire capitalism

a harried, contingent workforce assumes all risks and costs, while a handful of already-rich men thousands of miles away take all the profits

not to put too fine a point on it, that's the capitalist end-game for every industry

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my friends pro-uber arguments summarize as: taxis are over-regulated, uber is fighting those regulations, those regulations are bad

without specifying what those regulations are and what is wrong with them

fallbacks include boston taxis suck and are never available, surge pricing is good because it is supply and demand in action

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Bloody posted:

fallbacks include boston taxis suck and are never available, surge pricing is good because it is supply and demand in action

yes, truly price increases imposed by Uber on a schedule at the home office, truly the free market determining the price

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a harried, contingent workforce assumes all risks and costs, while a handful of already-rich men thousands of miles away take all the profits

not to put too fine a point on it, that's the capitalist end-game for every industry

yeah a completely on-demand workforce is kind of the endgame

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

yeah a completely on-demand workforce is kind of the endgame

employment-as-a-service

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
remember when we thought the endgame was robots but then we realized we need to maintain robots whereas people can just be thrown away?

yay capitalism

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey you know we just want people who happen to be in the area and happen to own their own welding equipment to be able to make some extra money on the side building cars for us. they're not employees though, they just happen to live next to an auto plant and have these skills so it's a win/win [17 hours a week]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cold on a Cob posted:

remember when we thought the endgame was robots but then we realized we need to maintain robots whereas people can just be thrown away?

yay capitalism

roboticized fast food places are gonna be weird

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

I hate Uber as much as the next person but Boston taxis are truly terrible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

triple sulk posted:

I hate Uber as much as the next person but Boston taxis are truly terrible

I had a very acceptable cab ride the other day

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cold on a Cob posted:

yay capitalism

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

one of the main things preventing that might be that people use cash at mcdonalds more often than at chilis or whatever

otherwise the first thing to go would definitely be the people at the cash registers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

its laughable how anybody pretends that a single human being needs to work at a mcdonald's

that is a place that is absolutely begging for 100% automation

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

its laughable how anybody pretends that a single human being needs to work at a mcdonald's

Automats already existed and died

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I really liked this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

they were just ahead of their time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

they still have them in amsterdam but that's probably because the locals don't want to have to touch all the tourists

it's not all bad though http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/02/21/tokyo-hamburger-vending-machine-has-a-human-touch/ :unsmith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nintendo Kid posted:

werent they mainly in the cities tho? gotta shovel that poo poo out to the burbs. put them in The Wastelands

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

werent they mainly in the cities tho? gotta shovel that poo poo out to the burbs. put them in The Wastelands

As if there's going to be anyone left in the wastelands to justify putting your expensive robots there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

those had a dude in the back makin all the food tho

and it was all cafeteria food anyway

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

it'll eventually happen

sooner if the minimum wage explodes past the break even point

later if the automation becomes cheaper and when touchscreen ordering becomes more widespread

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
humans are way way cheaper than what it would take to automate a mcdonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the minimum wage should be pegged to the point right below where mcdonalds automation makes financial sense

• Locked thread