Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Evil_Greven posted:

In other news, there was a video awhile back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4ARsxrZh8
...Where protestors in NYC are chanting that they want "dead cops" on video. The media seems to have been passing this off as real.

I'm of the opinion that the footage has had audio spliced over it.
Weird, these are all common chants at protests but the audio, particularly the anticapitalist chant is way off.

edit: I guess more common if anarchists are present.

Kurt_Cobain fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That audio seems off, there's something strange about the way the protesters are vocally clear hundreds of feet from the camera, yet when they get near and are passing beneath the window it isn't clear at all what they're saying, in fact as they begin to go the other direction it instantly changes into another chant that is inaudible despite the camera being so close by.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
God drat it. Really? I'd say this would at least cause enough uproar to make a difference, but we already have video of Eric Garner and others. Did it make a difference? Nope.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

repeating posted:

God drat it. Really? I'd say this would at least cause enough uproar to make a difference, but we already have video of Eric Garner and others. Did it make a difference? Nope.

Wrong thread? We are discussing the death of yet another black teen in the politics thread. I don't think the news has hit this thread yet.

Edit: "A Missouri teen was fatally shot by police just two miles from Ferguson, Mo., according to witnesses at the scene.
Antonio Martin, 18, was shot at 1 a.m. on Christmas Eve at Mobil gas station in Berkeley, Mo., the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
The victim's mother, Toni Martin, spoke to the publication and said her son was shot by police.

The hashtag #AntonioMartin is gaining traction on social media. Those at the scene, along with The Dispatch, report approximately 60 to 100 people have gathered around the gas station where the shooting took place.

Jesus Christo, 18, told The Huffington Post that he and Martin were stopped by an officer who said they fit the descriptions of recent robbery suspects. Christo declined to speak over the phone, but spoke through direct messages on Twitter.

The officer attempted to search Martin, who refused, Christo said.
"The officer then stepped back and drew his weapon and pointed at Antonio and told us to lay on the ground," Christo said. "I layed [sic] down but Antonio Refused [sic].
"The officer then began to step back from us with his gun still aimed at us. He told Antonio to lay down once again and when Antonio didn't lay down the officer opened fire. And when I tried to get up to help my friend he screamed at me to stay down with his weapon still drawn."

This turned out to be a liar whom was only looking for attention.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/24/antonio-martin-police-shooting_n_6376210.html

Pohl fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 24, 2014

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Oh snap. You are absolutely correct.

To steal a few quick links and quotes to get you up to speed. This happened tonight in literally the next connecting suburb west of Ferguson:

Venusian Weasel posted:

From what I've gathered from social media (which as we all know is completely worthless :rolleyes:) Antonio Martin was an 18 year old guy who was shot as he walked out of a convenience store. Haven't heard any reports of a confrontation, apparently the police just shot him. Police say he "matched the description of a suspect". According to his girlfriend, he was still breathing for several minutes after being shot, yet no EMS was called. It's been two hours since the shooting, and Martin's body is still laying there. EMS still hasn't arrived. Cops are starting to get confrontational with the crowd gathering at the scene.

Dexo posted:

Yeah, Just happened, seems to mostly just be on twitter now.

https://twitter.com/sdkstl/lists/stl-news

This dude is posting vines

https://twitter.com/search4swag

https://vine.co/u/1111843730882961408

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
As a white man at 1 AM, I am going to walk to the store in San Diego with the knowledge that no one is going to shoot me. I loving won the lottery.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pohl posted:

Wrong thread? We are discussing the death of yet another black teen in the politics thread. I don't think the news has hit this thread yet.

Edit: "A Missouri teen was fatally shot by police just two miles from Ferguson, Mo., according to witnesses at the scene.
Antonio Martin, 18, was shot at 1 a.m. on Christmas Eve at Mobil gas station in Berkeley, Mo., the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
The victim's mother, Toni Martin, spoke to the publication and said her son was shot by police.

The hashtag #AntonioMartin is gaining traction on social media. Those at the scene, along with The Dispatch, report approximately 60 to 100 people have gathered around the gas station where the shooting took place.
Jesus Christo, 18, told The Huffington Post that he and Martin were stopped by an officer who said they fit the descriptions of recent robbery suspects. Christo declined to speak over the phone, but spoke through direct messages on Twitter.

The officer attempted to search Martin, who refused, Christo said.
"The officer then stepped back and drew his weapon and pointed at Antonio and told us to lay on the ground," Christo said. "I layed [sic] down but Antonio Refused [sic].
"The officer then began to step back from us with his gun still aimed at us. He told Antonio to lay down once again and when Antonio didn't lay down the officer opened fire. And when I tried to get up to help my friend he screamed at me to stay down with his weapon still drawn."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/24/antonio-martin-police-shooting_n_6376210.html

Obey or die. What a loving country. :sigh:

EDIT: Welp, teaches me to trust anything from twitter. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 24, 2014

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
The guy on twitter claiming to be his friend was making poo poo up, already corrected in the link.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ra-amun posted:

The guy on twitter claiming to be his friend was making poo poo up, already corrected in the link.

loving Christ.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
No, let's just jump to conclusions based on fake sources.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Goddamn, that's cold blooded. This story is unraveling by the minute.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

EDIT: Welp, teaches me to trust anything from twitter. :v:

No poo poo. As if things aren't bad enough, people have to take advantage of tragedy to get attention.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hardbody posted:

No, let's just jump to conclusions based on fake sources.

Sorry for jumping to the conclusion that some police would shoot an unarmed black man, it's a real leap on my part since that sort of thing never happens. v:shobon:v

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sorry for jumping to the conclusion that some police would shoot an unarmed black man, it's a real leap on my part since that sort of thing never happens. v:shobon:v

That is his/her only post in the thread.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
Good, Don't let it happen again. Now turn around and spread your feet, toes pointed out so I search you.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pohl posted:

That is his/her only post in the thread.
Him/her should post a link to their soundcloud.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Hardbody posted:

Good, Don't let it happen again. Now turn around and spread your feet, toes pointed out so I search you.

I read that like you are a crazy Russian drinking vodka and it makes me laugh. Don't ruin it for me, please let it be true.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
People must never speak about a thing without a full coroner's, toxicology, police investigation, IA investigation, civil rights probe, civil suit, and conviction, or non-indictment finalized in stone. Ever.

Totally separate statement:

Paraphrased: "There's no indication the officers were high or drunk at the time of their murder. So no tox report."

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
:lol:. This. Thread.

It wants to. It really does. It tries so hard. But, well...

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Untagged posted:

yeah no matter the number of posts, nothing will change :(

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Untagged posted:

I'm surprised you were able to take the cop dick out of your mouth long enough to actually post.

One person being a complete shitbag and lying doesn't prove your perspective, it only proves that person was a lying shitbag.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Pohl posted:

I'm surprised you were able to take the cop dick out of your mouth long enough to actually post.

One person being a complete shitbag and lying doesn't prove your perspective, it only proves that person was a lying shitbag.

You've reached SedanChair levels of posting, quite a feat actually.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Obey or die. What a loving country. :sigh:

REMEMBER, if you need help...

No matter what problems you are dealing with, we want to help you find a reason to keep living. By calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255) you’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7.

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

The Shep fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 24, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

You've reached SedanChair levels of posting, quite a feat actually.

REMEMBER, if you need help...

No matter what problems you are dealing with, we want to help you find a reason to keep living. By calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255) you’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7.

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

While Sedan Chair and I agree on a lot of stuff, we fight constantly. I don't find it a bad thing to be compared to him, I don't think it is reflective of who I am however.

Thanks for posting an anti suicide link, god knows we are crazy fuckers that may kill ourselves because we loving disagree with you.

Chill the gently caress out.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

There's surveillance video so hopefully we'll know what happened this time

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lessail posted:

It'll ether back up the cop's story or mysteriously be unusable.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Why are cops even armed? I get having a SWAT team for when things get crazy but why do regular cops need a firearm? Disarming them seems like it would be a big step in the right direction. There are plenty of problems with non-lethal methods and ideally cops shouldn't have those either, but that isn't gonna happen. I'd much rather the violent white power gang power-tripping in my neighborhood could gently caress people up (but not kill them) as opposed to loving people up and killing them. Plus, a living victim is a lot more empowered to press civil charges than a dead victim. How do we go about disarming cops?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Shbobdb posted:

Why are cops even armed? I get having a SWAT team for when things get crazy but why do regular cops need a firearm? Disarming them seems like it would be a big step in the right direction. There are plenty of problems with non-lethal methods and ideally cops shouldn't have those either, but that isn't gonna happen. I'd much rather the violent white power gang power-tripping in my neighborhood could gently caress people up (but not kill them) as opposed to loving people up and killing them. Plus, a living victim is a lot more empowered to press civil charges than a dead victim. How do we go about disarming cops?

Well, America is a country where guns are a cultural icon, so it makes sense for all the beat cops to have them. That doesn't particularly bother me.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That line of reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, unless you think guns are just a cultural artifact. If that is the case, would you be cool with them having guns but no bullets and bringing your own bullets would be a federal crime?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Shbobdb posted:

That line of reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, unless you think guns are just a cultural artifact. If that is the case, would you be cool with them having guns but no bullets and bringing your own bullets would be a federal crime?

The United States has a huge level of private gun ownership, and that's probably not going away. You must be from some dumb rear end country across the pond.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As the dead cops in both Vegas and NYC showed, in the rare situations where a criminal specificially wants to kill a cop, he or she is going to get the drop and their sidearms are going to be worthless. I don't really see a good reason for beat cops to have guns on their person since it frequenty leads to them using them in situations where they aren't appropriate. I'd be fine with something in their cruisers that they have to unlock in order for them to cool down slightly before using deadly force.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Lessail posted:

Police say they're going to release the video at 7AM central time. https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/547719694455943169

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Them releasing video so quickly makes me think it might have been justified. Otherwise they would stall or the video would be mysteriously lost.

lfield
May 10, 2008
If they're releasing the footage without first announcing they've fired the guy then its probably a safe bet that the video shows the shooting was justified. But who knows any more, really.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Releasing video of an incident quickly like this might be a good thing regardless of what it shows

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15vqUf6H-po

Video from the gas station, of course it's from a far away camera and you can hardly see anything. The dude looks like he raises something at the end but then the video just abruptly stops. If he was really holding a gun, how they hell did he miss the cop? He's literally point blank range.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's actually pretty hard to hit stuff with a pistol, especially if you're untrained and stressed out.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

-Troika- posted:

It's actually pretty hard to hit stuff with a pistol, especially if you're untrained and stressed out.

Yeah, it's not unusual for someone to miss 70%+ of their shots at 10 feet with a pistol in a stressful situation.

EDIT: After watching the video it looks a lot like he is raising a gun, like the motion is raising and pointing/aiming at something. It's way too far away to make out any detail about what it is but I'm hard pressed to think of what it could be other than a gun with the way he raised it and pointed it.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 24, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The footage freezes at the exact moment his arm is extending. That looks like pointing, but it would, because the video pauses and holds it there for a few seconds, then ends.

Why aren't we seeing what happens from that point onward?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
FWIW regarding not hitting anything, the police said he didn't get any shots off. The cop fired three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He could have been raising a cellphone to take a picture, but I'm not sure a cop would find that less threatening than a gun at this point.

• Locked thread