Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Novum posted:

On the internet

No joke I picked some subs and poo poo from youtube.Stephan Kesting or something like that has a bunch of basic videos for the class jiu jitsu challenged.Also eddie Bravo and that poo poo with the Gracies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Lamadrid posted:

No joke I picked some subs and poo poo from youtube.Stephan Kesting or something like that has a bunch of basic videos for the class jiu jitsu challenged.Also eddie Bravo and that poo poo with the Gracies.

I was being sarcastic but I picked up a sweet triangle set up from the internet. But yeah the actual best place to learn jujitsu is on the mean streets.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

I like it when burly, sweaty men grapple me into submission.

not an empty quote

One of my co-workers goes to the same gym as me. A second coworker calls him the "Bear Wrestler".

I live in the bay area, so i endlesly tease the poor guy about his nickname.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ElMaligno posted:

not an empty quote

One of my co-workers goes to the same gym as me. A second coworker calls him the "Bear Wrestler".

I live in the bay area, so i endlesly tease the poor guy about his nickname.

Incidentally I have been called "The Grey Bear" (my family has a funny gene pool, we usually live long but start graying in the early 30s!) and other bear names :v:

Also I always get along tremendously with bear gays. They like my beard and I like theirs! And martial artist lesbians.

I carry my bearmess with pride.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Ligur posted:

Incidentally I have been called "The Grey Bear" (my family has a funny gene pool, we usually live long but start graying in the early 30s!) and other bear names :v:

Also I always get along tremendously with bear gays. They like my beard and I like theirs! And martial artist lesbians.

I carry my bearmess with pride.

aw yeah tell me more about these martial artist lesbians

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

aw yeah tell me more about these martial artist lesbians

Sure! They have wide shoulders and often wear little or very plain makeup, have rather wild but short cropped hairstyles and they usually hang out with only.... certain ladies at your club. And they naturally punch very hard compared to average girls/women. For some reason most appear to be strikers first.

I assume you wanted to know about the hot, hot three-way group sessions in the women's locker room after the last class of the evening when everyone else have left?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Ligur posted:

Sure! They have wide shoulders and often wear little or very plain makeup, have rather wild but short cropped hairstyles and they usually hang out with only.... certain ladies at your club. And they naturally punch very hard compared to average girls/women. For some reason most appear to be strikers first.

I assume you wanted to know about the hot, hot three-way group sessions in the women's locker room after the last class of the evening when everyone else have left?

nah, that first bit was good enough for me. maybe in about 20 minutes i'll be ready for the 3-way dets.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Seeing as this thread is now Hot Gay Chat, we all went out for the BJJ club christmas night out the other evening. Got towards the end of the night, everyone's drunk as gently caress, and discovered one of our guys in the corner of the nightclub, getting intimate with some other guy. Amazing. He was all "I didn't want you guys to find out". Hey dude we do "YMCA The Sport", it's cool.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
There's a dude at my gym who I found out from a mutual friend is a big closet case who likes to be choked during sex.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
"I trained with their Uncle"

Chuck Norris & The Machado Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSqG89vWwI

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There's still a lot of homophobia around the martial arts, it's a safe bet to keep it quiet until you're sure that your teachers and training partners won't be dicks about it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just signed up for an exhibition boxing match against my buddy and I haven't trained for 6 months or sparred in over a year

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
what would you guys recommend if I knew I had to take on two guys in a year or less?

flight won't be a option (wish it was tbh).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

origami posted:

what would you guys recommend if I knew I had to take on two guys in a year or less?

Inform your local constabulary.

or

Hire the APA.

or

Do an involved training montage where you go train under the Gracies and other world famous martial artists and become the ultimate bad rear end?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 24, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Buy a shotgun

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

origami posted:

Train on the streets.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

origami posted:

Your other thread is amazing.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

KildarX posted:

Do an involved training montage where you go train under the Gracies and other world famous martial artists and become the ultimate bad rear end?

Who are the Gracies of Krav?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Rally your boys and roll on those bitches.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

origami posted:

Oh I dunno maybe something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKuW5M2P8TI

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

if you have to fight multiple attackers there is no art more noble than the art of the japanese katana

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Did you not notice the huge overlap in posters between this thread and yours?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

canoshiz posted:

No, I do not really notice things.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

origami posted:

No, I do not really notice things.

Same. :saddowns:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

1st AD posted:

Buy a shotgun

TollTheHounds posted:

Train on the streets.

Novum posted:

Rally your boys and roll on those bitches.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

if you have to fight multiple attackers there is no art more noble than the art of the japanese katana

Oh God. I love you guys.

I would sweatily grapple you. Without gi. Or clothes.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

canoshiz posted:

Sadly. that's not the OP of the quite frankly loving amazing Krav Maga thread. The OP of that thread is busy training in various forbidden arts, in preparation for his two-on-one unavoidable death-match for the right to govern the wastelands.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

de la peche posted:

Sadly. that's not the OP of the quite frankly loving amazing Krav Maga thread. The OP of that thread is busy training in various forbidden arts, in preparation for his two-on-one unavoidable death-match for the right to govern the wastelands.

If he only had a street Karate routine to save his life. It is so dangerous, you can't use it in competition.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

If he only had a street Karate routine to save his life. It is so dangerous, you can't use it in competition.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
So here is a fun injury. Long story short - I now have blister the size of a looney on my palm ( not from training ).

It is large enough that washing it and putting polysporin on it makes it feel like it is on fire and the tips of my fingers go numb.

The timing is probably as good as it gets because the gym is shut down for the week, but even though it is on my palm and probably will heal fast, I'm pretty sure it's still going to be hosed next time I go in.

I've never had a blister this bad, so I'm not sure if my usual "slather on a few layers of liquid skin/super glue stuff" I've used for mat burn will actually accomplish anything.

Is there a...grappling glove? that I can wear on one hand? Obviously a michael jackson style one would just get shredded but bonus points if it has sparkles and/or rhinestones.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Put a bandage over it, then wrap gauze around your hand over it, then wrap athletic tape around your hand over the gauze.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

Oh God. I love you guys.

I would sweatily grapple you. Without gi. Or clothes.

I'll bring the baby oil and camera.

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.
I do jits every other day and kickboxing once a week and was interested in getting a fitness tracker, but since I'm discouraged from even wearing my wedding ring in practice I thought the typical bracelet form of fitness tracker would be a bad idea. Is there anything else out there that may work, or is there nothing for grapplers?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

None of them will really work properly. They are calibrated for steps, which is only vertical movement, they don't track limbs, so you'd have to input activity data. Plus there isn't a great way to wear one of them while grappling.

mewse
May 2, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

None of them will really work properly. They are calibrated for steps, which is only vertical movement, they don't track limbs, so you'd have to input activity data. Plus there isn't a great way to wear one of them while grappling.

This is exactly how I understand them as well, glorified pedometers

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Yup. Maybe get a wireless HR chest strap? I've heard some people have used the Underarmor while grappling with success. Maybe under a rashguard it would work?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

SqueakovaPeep posted:

I do jits every other day and kickboxing once a week and was interested in getting a fitness tracker, but since I'm discouraged from even wearing my wedding ring in practice I thought the typical bracelet form of fitness tracker would be a bad idea. Is there anything else out there that may work, or is there nothing for grapplers?

I have an old Sony Smartband ( which is just a pedometer ) and I frequently forget I have it on when doing gi. I normally wear a long sleeve rash guard, so it's actually totally solid and doesn't move around at all - I'll realize all of a sudden when going home that I've still got it on.

That said - the data is as others have mentioned, totally meaningless. For ~2 hours it works out to an average of maybe 1000 "steps" and ~400 calories according to Sony's app, which in reality is obviously not even close to a realistic representation of working myself so hard I almost puked.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

TollTheHounds posted:

I have an old Sony Smartband ( which is just a pedometer ) and I frequently forget I have it on when doing gi. I normally wear a long sleeve rash guard, so it's actually totally solid and doesn't move around at all - I'll realize all of a sudden when going home that I've still got it on.

That said - the data is as others have mentioned, totally meaningless. For ~2 hours it works out to an average of maybe 1000 "steps" and ~400 calories according to Sony's app, which in reality is obviously not even close to a realistic representation of working myself so hard I almost puked.

There needs to be a device that can tell how and why you were arm barred.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

cptInsane0 posted:

There needs to be a device that can tell how and why you were arm barred.

So a device that just yells "Keep your arms tucked" every five seconds while someone has you mounted?

Edit: actually genius, patent pending

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I got a Fuji Sekai for Christmas but it's an A4. I mostly wear Vulkan and Koral in an A3. Does anyone know how the sizes compare and if the Fuji will shrink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

I bought a Fuji Suparaito A4 on Cyber Monday but it's huge compared to another Fuji A4 single weave gi I got years ago. I tried shrinking it but it won't shrink enough to fit me comfortably. I'm about 5'7" 190 lbs, pretty chubby and stumpy. I'm thinking I should have gotten the A3. YMMV, I guess.

• Locked thread