Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

asdf32 posted:

The bold would be an unquestioned success in my opinion. Such practical metrics are by far the most important things in my opinion and I'll buy into any political system that I think can deliver them.

But to flip this around, suppose the opposite, suppose the libertarian society is tried and it's a measurable failure in terms of living standards and happiness (while technically meeting the libertarian criteria for liberty). How would you react? One problem in this thread is your dogmatic belief that this must happen, coupled with the likelihood that you don't actually care - you seem to support your ideology independent of outcome. I think clarification here would be useful for everyone.

In most cases, I'd say 20-30 years'd be enough. In this specific case, though, Imma hold off for 40-50. Liberatarianism has no good methods I've seen for handling children and widespread education. In order for me to be convinced it'd work, then, I'd want to see greater than one generation elapse in order to make sure that it won't break down as soon as the statist-educated initial population croaks.

So there you have it, Jrode. 50 year experiment of Libertopia. Show us how beautiful your ideas are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That experiment sounds unethical.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

No it's a trick question.

If empirical evidence were powerful enough to convince you that praxeology is true, then according to praxeology you'd have to immediately reject empirical evidence as a way of determining truths about the world, leaving you once again with no reason to believe in praxeology.

Practitioners of praxeology only take issue with evidence if it contradicts their ideas. It's totally okay if some empirical evidence proves them right once in awhile, because they knew they were right all along. But if empirical evidence "proves" them wrong, then there's something wrong with the evidence.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The basic idea that lolbertarians oppose stuff like taxation on is that taxation is ultimately not really voluntary.

But that's the case for all transactions in ancap lolbertarian society. If you start renegging on contracts for no reason then your DRO drops you and, according to jrod's description, you starve to death inside of your home while repo men take all of your possessions. But because the repo men are private contractors and the DRO isn't called a government everything's cool.

We pay taxes because we're all members of a society from which we derive some value. Taxes are the cost of membership. If you don't like taxes then you can pack up and leave, no one is forcing you to stay here. Go build a boat and live out on the sea. Lolbertarians reject taxes because they want all of the benefits of modern society without having to pay for them.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you can't even take somebody's money without their consent how would you even levy a fine?
The NAP applies to initiation of force. Most libertarians are willing to concede a natural-rights allowance for retaliatory force - such as defending oneself when struck (possibly including lethal force), trespassing into a thief's home to recover stolen property, or impeding the livelihood of a fradulent dealer (e.g. by filing a lien against his business holdings or by publishing defamatory material).

The pure-voluntarists eschew retaliation, so they need to rely on toothless arbitration mechanisms such as DROs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GulMadred posted:

The NAP applies to initiation of force. Most libertarians are willing to concede a natural-rights allowance for retaliatory force - such as defending oneself when struck (possibly including lethal force), trespassing into a thief's home to recover stolen property, or impeding the livelihood of a fradulent dealer (e.g. by filing a lien against his business holdings or by publishing defamatory material).
What about retaliation that occurs after the other person initiates force, but before I am affected by said force? eg, say I'm a ninja and someone swings a bat at me. Before the bat lands, I hit him in the face. Who initiated force? I hit him first, after all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

How is it fraud if you didn't get the person to consent to give you some property? If they don't consent and you just grab it, isn't that just stealing?

If you really look at it fraud is just another form of theft the details are just different. But still, the whole basis of ancap thought is basically consent.

QuarkJets posted:

Practitioners of praxeology only take issue with evidence if it contradicts their ideas. It's totally okay if some empirical evidence proves them right once in awhile, because they knew they were right all along. But if empirical evidence "proves" them wrong, then there's something wrong with the evidence.

But that's the case for all transactions in ancap lolbertarian society. If you start renegging on contracts for no reason then your DRO drops you and, according to jrod's description, you starve to death inside of your home while repo men take all of your possessions. But because the repo men are private contractors and the DRO isn't called a government everything's cool.

We pay taxes because we're all members of a society from which we derive some value. Taxes are the cost of membership. If you don't like taxes then you can pack up and leave, no one is forcing you to stay here. Go build a boat and live out on the sea. Lolbertarians reject taxes because they want all of the benefits of modern society without having to pay for them.

Well see they'd be totally willing to pay for them, just so long as nobody is forcing them to, you know what I mean?

The stupid thing is that there are some areas where privatizing it is just plain stupid. I've had really dumb arguments with lolbertarians that were totally OK with things like private fire departments. Like well if you didn't pay your fire department insurance and your house catches fire, well guess we just let it burn down! Totally ignoring that that could very easily catch the whole neighborhood on fire. A lack of public emergency services would guarantee an increase in preventable disasters but at least we'd be more free!

Which is the other thing that ancaps fail to realize; paying taxes for emergency services means that they'll be there no matter what.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ravenfood posted:

What about retaliation that occurs after the other person initiates force, but before I am affected by said force? eg, say I'm a ninja and someone swings a bat at me. Before the bat lands, I hit him in the face. Who initiated force? I hit him first, after all.

A reasonable person would say that the initiation of force can begin even before the first punch is thrown. Basically, if I present a credible threat to your safety, it is reasonable to say that you don't need to wait for me to act in order to defend yourself. So, for example, if I pull a gun out on you and point it at you, you don't need to wait for me to pull the trigger before you shoot back. I initiated force by pulling out the gun. I created the scenario where your safety is at risk.

So, in your example, because the person swung a bat at you first, even though you hit him before the bat made contact with you, he initiated force.

However, since you're a ninja, and ninjas are assassins, you initiated force by being there. After all, if you weren't trying to kill him, then what were you doing there? Unless of course, you're a ninja on your way home. In which case, sorry about the bat to the face. But still. gently caress you, ninja!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The basic idea he's getting at is that all association should be totally voluntary. As in, you should not levy taxes to build public roads but rather people should be free to donate to roads or pay for toll roads as they need to use them. That sort of thing. Nobody should be holding a gun to anybody's head (as in, levying taxes) to get public things paid for. The logic is that "it's for the public good" is poor justification for threatening to harm somebody's person if they don't pay their taxes.

The problem with this idea is that not all interactions can be voluntary. I mean, that's how society functions, people have obligations. Even Jrodefeld says that you would have to respect people's rights. Which is the problem. You can't have the structure required to ensure that rights are respected without having some sort of obligatory system. After all, I shouldn't be able to just murder someone and say "Hey, I don't consent to be part of this!" "But we have evidence that implicated you in a murder?" "Well, I don't consent to agree to your definition of murder!"

See, Jrodefeld. It's these basic problems that we criticize you on. Yes. Libertarianism COULD work if people stopped being people, but that requires something that's not loving likely to happen.

Let me make it simple:

In order for libertarianism to make sense, human beings must be completely rational. However, even you admit that you can't persuade people to convert to libertarianism on the internet, making this argument irrational. I submit that you are irrational, and therefor, libertarianism cannot exist!

poo poo. I just blew up the Jrodbot.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The stupid thing is that there are some areas where privatizing it is just plain stupid. I've had really dumb arguments with lolbertarians that were totally OK with things like private fire departments. Like well if you didn't pay your fire department insurance and your house catches fire, well guess we just let it burn down! Totally ignoring that that could very easily catch the whole neighborhood on fire. A lack of public emergency services would guarantee an increase in preventable disasters but at least we'd be more free!

Which is the other thing that ancaps fail to realize; paying taxes for emergency services means that they'll be there no matter what.

Crassus: everybody's favorite Triumvir

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you are trespassing you are using land that belongs to somebody else without their consent. If you pollute the you are dumping nasty poo poo on land that belongs to somebody else without their consent. If you are committing fraud you taking property from somebody else without their consent. All of these are harmful so they are considered violence i the idea of "causing harm to another person." Of course the way you prevent people from committing said acts of violence is never actually explained beyond "well obviously people would get together and agree not to harm each other" but like how would you enforce that without any acts of "violence?" If you can't even take somebody's money without their consent how would you even levy a fine?

So JRod, would you say that "causing harm to another person" is what you mean by violence? I just want to make sure I know what you're talking about.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Is not making GBS threads in the streets voluntary? I mean if I do it the police will tell me to stop, and if I don't they'll shoot me with guns.

Is breathing voluntary? If I don't do it, my body will tell me to start, and if I don't it'll KILL ME!!

Jrod, just quickly (and this isn't a 'gotcha', I'm just curious, and I don't think you answered when I asked before): is the state a historic aberration, or is it something which was necessary for human development at one point, but no longer?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Igiari posted:

Jrod, just quickly (and this isn't a 'gotcha', I'm just curious, and I don't think you answered when I asked before): is the state a historic aberration, or is it something which was necessary for human development at one point, but no longer?

He didn't, but a frequent libertarian answer is that long ago a branch of the Judicial-Enforcement-Warriors DRO went rogue and have been secretly corrupting human civilization ever since.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Is driving on the right side of the road instead of the left strictly voluntary? If I do it, the cops will tell me to stop, if I ignore them they'll come in force and if I resist they'll shoot me with guns.

paragon1 posted:

Is not making GBS threads in the streets voluntary? I mean if I do it the police will tell me to stop, and if I don't they'll shoot me with guns.

Roads should be privatized and if you violate the terms of service of these private roads then private security will shoot you with guns and this is preferable because

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Cemetry Gator posted:

However, since you're a ninja, and ninjas are assassins, you initiated force by being there. After all, if you weren't trying to kill him, then what were you doing there? Unless of course, you're a ninja on your way home. In which case, sorry about the bat to the face. But still. gently caress you, ninja!
But you voluntarily chose to live in a covenant community that allows ninja residents.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

That's a really dumb question. Pretty much every legal tradition has the concept of assault, even lolbertarian ideology. Attacking someone is a violent act in and of itself, it doesn't matter if the blow connects.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ograbme posted:

But you voluntarily chose to live in a covenant community that allows ninja residents.

Ninjas are cool. It's the thoughtcrime of democracy that aggresses against the community and against the Natural Aristocracy that must be purged by the Tsar's privately-owned secret police.

E: The Belgian Congo: an ideal libertarian society?Everything is private property, seems good! I mean yeah Leopold got that property by past aggression, but the market will sort all that out and ensure the land conveys to the most productive.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 24, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

asdf32 posted:

The bold would be an unquestioned success in my opinion. Such practical metrics are by far the most important things in my opinion and I'll buy into any political system that I think can deliver them.

But to flip this around, suppose the opposite, suppose the libertarian society is tried and it's a measurable failure in terms of living standards and happiness (while technically meeting the libertarian criteria for liberty). How would you react? One problem in this thread is your dogmatic belief that this must happen, coupled with the likelihood that you don't actually care - you seem to support your ideology independent of outcome. I think clarification here would be useful for everyone.

There is more to that trick question too: We HAVE tried elements of the very system he supports in the past. It didn't work. You HAVE to ignore history in order to accept libertarianism as valid

Its why Praxeology is hilarious and sad, because its an almost religious faith in things that have a history of not working. Kinda like Trickle Down Economics.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Igiari posted:

Is breathing voluntary? If I don't do it, my body will tell me to start, and if I don't it'll KILL ME!!

Your body is a statist pig and will make you inhale against your will.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

QuarkJets posted:

Even if you're not very good at understanding statistics, you must realize by now that you're grasping at straws when you try to link liberal politicians to a longer recession. There's no correlation there. The recession was caused by a housing crash, so it's not surprising that the places with the greatest real estate market growth fared the worst. Hawaii is an outlier, but real estate there is such a special case that I'm willing to throw out that data point.

So maybe I'm misunderstanding you and we may be talking at cross-purposes. Are you onboard with Mr. Interweb who originally said:

Mr Interweb posted:

Oddly enough, pro-freedom economics hasn't turned Kansas into job creation utopia:
The new Kansas jobs numbers were released Friday morning, bringing horrible news to state taxpayers and Gov. Sam Brownback.
The federal Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the total number of nonfarm jobs in Kansas fell by 4,100 in November.
Because that's what I was responding to. I pointed out that that was kinda a lame sample size, Kansas has very high employment overall, and going by the 4,000 jobs standard every time UE rose anywhere by a percentage point it'd be an indictment of whatever state it happened to be in. If you're saying, no a few years doesn't conclusively prove anything either way, that's valid. Of course, if ~9% UE can't drat someone's politics, neither can 4%.

Caros posted:

Absolutely. Kansas had $800 million in reserves in 2012. They are expected to have less than $80 million in their reserve fund as of next summer. Assuming you follow the general trend of Kansas state budgets since Brownback took office you can expect them to be roughly $800 million in the hole by 2019 when starve the beast starve the beaststarve the beast starve the beaststarve the beast starve the beaststarve

poo poo, you sure got me there ace! FWIW they probably should ramped taxes down over time instead of what Brownback did. But speaking of actual unsustainable spending, America's only attempt at UHC experiences a 66% price inflation and implodes. http://www.vox.com/2014/12/22/7427117/single-payer-vermont-shumlin :getin: Turns out taking employer contributions out of it really grind taxpayers' gears when they have to personally make up the difference. Oh but surely this isn't more reflective of what would happen in America, we should look at England where providers are government owned! That's a more realistic comparison. But it's not just the US of A.

quote:

About half of countries who attempt to build single-payer systems fail. That’s Harvard health economist William Hsiao’s estimate after working with about 10 governments in the past two decades. Whether he is in Taiwan, Cyprus, or Vermont, the process is roughly the same: meet with legislators, draw up a plan, write legislation. Only half of those bills actually become law. The part where it collapses is, inevitably, when the country has to pay for it.
Let the handwaving begin.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

quote:

About half of countries who attempt to build single-payer systems fail. That’s Harvard health economist William Hsiao’s estimate after working with about 10 governments in the past two decades. Whether he is in Taiwan, Cyprus, or Vermont, the process is roughly the same: meet with legislators, draw up a plan, write legislation. Only half of those bills actually become law. The part where it collapses is, inevitably, when the country has to pay for it.
Isn't this like saying that my car failed to get me to work on time because I never drove it?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
You sure are pleased with yourself that people are doomed to suffer and die in the American healthcare system out of sheer unwillingness to pay taxes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

You sure are pleased with yourself that people are doomed to suffer and die in the American healthcare system out of sheer unwillingness to pay taxes.

Caveat Emptor

Wait, wrong one

Poor Populus Nutrientibus

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Talmonis posted:

I especially like the parting shot where any counter argument is just hand waving.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

archangelwar posted:

I especially like the parting shot where any counter argument is just hand waving.

Isn't hand waving all that Libertarians do?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't hand waving all that Libertarians do?

No, they come up with hard hitting analysis, such as framing a budgetary proposal exercise for single payer in one state as inflation and implosion.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DeusExMachinima posted:

Did you miss the parts where it mentions the reason its hard to pay for is insurance companies lobbying against it, the healthcare system being so broken currently that it requires a huge amount of startup money to move to a less broken one, and that over time the costs of healthcare of literally every single UHC nation quickly becomes lower than every single private healthcare nation? I don't see how this article helps you exactly?

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 24, 2014

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music

DrProsek posted:

Did you miss the parts where it mentions the reason its hard to pay for is insurance companies lobbying against it, the healthcare system being so broken currently that it requires a huge amount of startup money to move to a less broken one, and that over time the costs of healthcare of literally every single UHC nation quickly becomes lower than every single private healthcare nation? I don't see how this article helps you exactly?
Man look at all that handwaving

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Talmonis posted:

"Man, libertarians assume all countries' populaces can/do/should view things a certain way."

"Single payer would work if only everyone would get onboard with my program if only the entire country would blah blah"

DrProsek posted:

Being able to survive taxpayer displeasure is kinda crucial and real world. If you can't convince the state most open to it in the country that the long term benefits will pan out or are worth the initial investment or the program will deliver on how good it looks on paper then yeah it's very unrealistic. But if only humans in America would unilaterally change! (see first quote)

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 24, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I honestly don't know how Vermont thought it could fund single-payer on its own. Here in Canada, the system is financed via a combination of federal and provincial taxation -- the federal government sends lump sums to the provinces in order to help pay for it. Without the federal half of the budget, every province's system would collapse within a month. I don't know what Vermont's chances of getting funding from Washington were, but I'd wager they were approximately zero. On top of that, I might be wrong, but Americans' tax burden looks substantially slanted towards the federal government compared to Canada, with the income tax rate in Vermont ranging from 4% to 9%. By comparison, the Canadian province with the lowest tax rate has a 10% flat tax.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

"Single payer would work if only everyone would get onboard with my program if only the entire country would blah blah".

All evidence and real-world examples show this is literally true.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

"Single payer would work if only everyone would get onboard with my program if only the entire country would blah blah"

Single payer would work if the country went to a single payer system yes.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Single payer would work if the country went to a single payer system yes.
I wasn't aware enacting a program guaranteed its success. You're moving into an area of ethics versus numbers, convincing people that it's better to take a risk on a program (all programs involve risks, period) versus major short term costs and changes is partly numbers, but convincing them they should no matter what is totally ethics. If your argument is your political philosophy would work if everyone was onboard, congrats, you're nearly in the same boat as the "all people should be rational actors" type. I can't imagine a philosophy that wouldn't work with 100% total dedication, full-on ant colony style communism included. But that's not real world.

As for Europe's UHC in particular, I can't make any conclusive statements besides that's waaaay more taxes that Americans would like to pay (ethics). But I would be very interested to see what changes they'd have to make to their budgets if the NATO gravy train disappeared tomorrow.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DeusExMachinima posted:

"Man, libertarians assume all countries' populaces can/do/should view things a certain way."

Being able to survive taxpayer displeasure is kinda crucial and real world. If you can't convince the state most open to it in the country that the long term benefits will pan out or are worth the initial investment or the program will deliver on how good it looks on paper then yeah it's very unrealistic. But if only humans in America would unilaterally change! (see first quote)

The only thing libertarians assume, is that we're all stupid enough to willingly eliminate the last remaining safeguards (read: democracy itself) against the rebirth of aristocracy. The rest is just flowery words and pandering to the lowest common denomenator (We don't like war, pass the weed maaaaan!).

It's because we have people like you to constantly advocate for the insurance companies and pre-existing conditions, while trying to convince the people getting hosed over that they have it just so wonderful. American exceptionalism is a joke, and a bad one. Only morons still believe the line you're shilling, and it's only because they can't be bothered to actually look up other countries.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

I wasn't aware enacting a program guaranteed its success. You're moving into an area of ethics versus numbers, convincing people that it's better to take a risk on a program (all programs involve risks, period) versus major short term costs and changes is partly numbers, but convincing them they should no matter what is totally ethics. If your argument is your political philosophy would work if everyone was onboard, congrats, you're nearly in the same boat as the "all people should be rational actors" type. I can't imagine a philosophy that wouldn't work with 100% total dedication, full-on ant colony style communism included. But that's not real world.

The difference is that one of these things has provided dozens of examples of functionality (and superiority) over the last 130 years and the other is libertarianism.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DeusExMachinima posted:

So in the span of one post you've gone from "Heh looks like UHC actually is worse than the Free Market :smug:" to "The Free Market hosed healthcare so good it'll be pretty hard politically to raise the money needed to fix it :smug:". I mean it's cool that you don't really care about quality/availability of healthcare but that kinda makes Libertarians seem like sociopaths?

E:
Also this "unrealistic" healthcare system actually already exists, you might want to check out most other nations on Earth.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 24, 2014

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I oppose universal health care because universal health care is not politically popular. Let the hand waving about circular arguments commence.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

DeusExMachinima posted:

As for Europe's UHC in particular, I can't make any conclusive statements besides that's waaaay more taxes that Americans would like to pay (ethics). But I would be very interested to see what changes they'd have to make to their budgets if the NATO gravy train disappeared tomorrow.

Americans pay more in taxes to fund their healthcare than most UHC nations so you're clearly chatting poo poo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

That wasn't his point. Single payer systems require there to be a single payer. This is pretty much well understood by anyone who actually knows things about healthcare because the cost savings in single payer come primarily from the fact that everyone is insured in one enormous risk pool. The larger the risk pool, the lower the costs, and likewise the larger the insurer the more they are able to negotiate prices down to a reasonable level.

I've applauded the Vermont experiment but I never really laid my hopes for you guys upon it. Starting a universal healthcare plan from scratch in the US is going to be hard because people are going to initially see a bump in taxes to cover it, and people don't like that bump, even if it turns out that ten years down the road they'll have lower taxes and higher income because their employer won't be paying a huge chunk of their possible earnings by way of healthcare premiums.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well if all you guys have is weak-rear end arguments like "single-payer only works if you do single-payer, here's the proof" then I'm just going to become a libertarian.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

So maybe I'm misunderstanding you and we may be talking at cross-purposes. Are you onboard with Mr. Interweb who originally said:

Because that's what I was responding to. I pointed out that that was kinda a lame sample size, Kansas has very high employment overall, and going by the 4,000 jobs standard every time UE rose anywhere by a percentage point it'd be an indictment of whatever state it happened to be in. If you're saying, no a few years doesn't conclusively prove anything either way, that's valid. Of course, if ~9% UE can't drat someone's politics, neither can 4%.

If you believe that the policies of these respective states did not significantly influence unemployment numbers over the last 10 years, then I would agree with you. Kansas policies didn't positively influence its unemployment numbers any better than California policies did theirs. Examining pre- and post-recession, everything appears to be most tightly correlated to the height of the mousing markets in their respective regions before the bust. Places like Kansas and Utah fared really well, because no one was building houses in Kansas, no one wants to move there. Alaska's unemployment was basically flat, going down slightly when the rest of the country plummeted. Meanwhile, states that experienced a housing boom like Arizona, Michigan, and California experienced a huge spike in unemployment when the bubble popped, unsurprisingly.

That said, I don't think that Mr Interweb was claiming that conservative policies negatively influenced unemployment, but rather that they did not keep unemployment as low as was promised by the rigid supply-side policies that have been instituted there in recent years. And that is true; Governor Brownback took on the long-discredited Laffer as an adviser and began instituting strict supply-side policies in what he described as an attempt to create a successful red-state model for the rest of the country to follow. As a result, the wealthy have experienced huge gains in income, the poor have actually wound up paying more in taxes, and huge cuts in education resulted in the closing of numerous schools, forcing Kansas citizens to spend even more of what little money they had on shutting their kids far distances. After several rounds of income tax cuts, while maintaining a high sales tax, what does Kansas have? Its unemployment rates aren't any better off, its deficit is enormous, and its economic growth is worse than ever, despite promises from Laffer and his ilk. The Kansas budget is so dysfunctional that its bond rating was recently downgraded to "poor". The red-state model in Kansas has been disastrous, and I won't be surprised when conservatives choose to ignore the Kansas experiment in 2016.

So really, you're both right. Unemployment rate is not a good enough metric to drat someone's policies, especially not in light of much great factors like a worldwide recession. Also, Kansas FYGM policies have resulted in a raiding of the treasury for high-income tax cut giveaways with nothing positive to show for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
Why do you statists call it universal healthcare if it doesn't cover the entire universe? :smug: