Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Aw the person who made this deleted their deviantart and tumblr shame wanted to say how cool it looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jackard posted:

Vaatu is more likely Ahriman from Zoroastrianism

Yeah not everything has to be far east. I mean, Avatar is a sanskrit word, and they're using the four Greek classical elements. Vaatu vs. Raava still could have been done better though.

Actually if you pay attention Raava never does anything except to fight Vaatu. Most of the Avatars weren't even aware of her existence. So she's still pretty apathetic to humans. She just happened to learn to like Wan after they started working together. Basically the only reason Raava seems good at all is because she's ultimately just compared to Vaatu, who is worse.

So pretty much all spirits are poo poo. (Yes, you too, Moon Spirit. I see through your cynical attempt to hide an extra life in a little girl.)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Welp indeed.

Reading that post made me warm up to the ending a little bit more. I still believe that the story would have had a stronger end with no romantic resolution for Korra, but seeing where they were coming from makes it less disappointing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm glad Korra has something really big to live for besides being the Avatar.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Sharmat posted:

I'm glad Korra has something really big to live for besides being the Avatar.

Her pro-bending career.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not afraid to admit, I chuckled.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'm ready for this franchise to be over forever. I don't think I can handle anymore bitching or cheering wrt fake relationships of fake people in a kids show.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hauldren Collider posted:

I'm ready for this franchise to be over forever. I don't think I can handle anymore bitching or cheering wrt fake relationships of fake people in a kids show.

I doubt you'd come across any of that stuff unless you actually seeking out place where people are talking about it. So pretty much seems to be something your bringing on yourself for what ever bizarre reason.

I mean if you don't think you'd watch any more if they made it that's cool, people like what they like, and watch what they want to watch, but this is a pretty dumb reason for deciding if you want to watch something or not.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Pomp posted:

Streaming services have brought us some great exclusive stuff, but it's all been stuff that can be done relatively low budget with little to nothing in special effects. I get the feeling people saying a streaming service migth pick it up don't understand just how expensive animation is, let alone when compared to live action dramas and comedies.

That Marco Polo show has a high budget right? Like insanley high. So idk, I think it's possible.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Surprisingly, I've been getting my kung-fu cool-fights fix from Marco Polo. I suggest y'all with netflix accounts check it out.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hauldren Collider posted:

What's the point of fiction if you don't care about the characters? It sounds boring and unpleasant.

Misandrist Wytch posted:

That Marco Polo show has a high budget right? Like insanley high. So idk, I think it's possible.

Yeah doesn't it have an HBO's Rome level budget or some poo poo? I'm definitely checking it out when I have money again. I love historical drama.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

What's the point of fiction if you don't care about the characters? It sounds boring and unpleasant.

I think he's talking about having distaste for the whole turning relationships into a game with winners and losers thing. Of all the people who support Korassami, only about 10% support it for what it represents to the characters. The remaining 90% only support the message of the relationship, and completely disregard the humanity of the characters in the process.

And he's right, its hard to get excited about a Korra/Assami relationship when the people who support it the most care more about sticking it to the people who don't than actually looking at what it means to the characters, both retrospectively and moving forward.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 24, 2014

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah doesn't it have an HBO's Rome level budget or some poo poo? I'm definitely checking it out when I have money again. I love historical drama.

That show had some absurd poo poo. They sent legionary extras to a special boot camp run in the same fashion as a Roman legionary camp. Why not just do what everyone else does and get some obsessive re-enactors? They bring their own uniforms and know how to march in formation, which is all you really need for background dudes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

I think he's talking about having distaste for the whole turning relationships into a game with winners and losers thing. Of all the people who support Korassami, only about 10% support it for what it represents to the characters. The remaining 90% only support the message of the relationship, and completely disregard the humanity of the characters in the process.

And he's right, its hard to get excited about a Korra/Assami relationship when the people who support it the most care more about sticking it to the people who don't than actually looking at what it means to the characters, both retrospectively and moving forward.

That's fair. I just try not to let poo poo a fandom does affect my perception of the series.

TheBalor posted:

That show had some absurd poo poo. They sent legionary extras to a special boot camp run in the same fashion as a Roman legionary camp. Why not just do what everyone else does and get some obsessive re-enactors? They bring their own uniforms and know how to march in formation, which is all you really need for background dudes.

Shooting in the actual city of Rome was probably also a really bad and unnecessarily expensive idea. Why not just go to Croatia? You're building a set anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Nah, it's hard to get excited about it because you had a whinefest at people who claimed it was there beforehand and now you're retroactively trying to change it so the people who pointed it out before were not talking about the characters.

Seriously, the concern-troll homophobe act is getting old. At least come up with a more interesting gimmick.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 24, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Who predicted it and why is an infinitely less interesting and rewarding topic than what it means in story and character terms anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Who predicted it and why is an infinitely less interesting and rewarding topic than what it means in story and character terms anyway.

Well, there isn't a tremendous amount to discuss about this one specific thing. It's pretty easy to discuss how Korra's love and friendship with Asami parallels her character development and how the final act closes her becoming comfortable with who she is as a character, but that's something that applies to most of the episode. It's a nice ending that makes sense and leaves a feel-good element to the ending but it doesn't say anything particularly huge in any direction. We don't have any clear idea of what the Avatar universe's thoughts are on same-sex relationships. It is entirely possible this is a normal thing we just haven't seen much of. (And Korra and Asami's casual attitude towards it kind of backs that up.) So what it means beyond that is kind of hard to discuss because we don't have the context.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

(And Korra and Asami's casual attitude towards it kind of backs that up.)

Casual attitude? I mean we don't see them fretting about its social acceptance but they sure as hell don't come close to committing to anything or openly vocalizing it until the very end. Granted that could be for other reasons.

As for how society views it: I don't know much of anything about East Asia but it's my understanding that alternate sexuality was marginally more acceptable in the 1920's than it was in later, more reactionary periods in American history, at least. Though that's not saying much.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

The Sharmat posted:

We've got "Death of the Author", why not "Death of the Fanbase"?

On the topic of characters from Avatar , who is everyone's favorite and least favorite?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Casual attitude? I mean we don't see them fretting about its social acceptance but they sure as hell don't come close to committing to anything or openly vocalizing it until the very end. Granted that could be for other reasons.

There isn't any hesitation or concern or confusion or any other elements we'd generally associate with a society where that has a backlash. Korra cheerfully suggests it to Asami, Asami agrees readily and they walk off hand-in-hand. It quite literally is not something we have any context to say anything about one way or another. We can't say that it will be 100% normal and unquestioned and we also can't say that Tenzin is going to flip out and argue that sex is only for procreation and ban Korra from the air temple. It's probably the former (if just to have a feel-good ending) but anything beyond that is fanfiction.

americong
May 29, 2013

reading thread from beginning to see the journey

Harold Cooplowski posted:

Asami will never get real depth, I've basically accepted it by now.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I never read fandom crap but watched the show regularly and it was impossible to not watch recent episodes and think the hell? Are Korra and Asami flirting? Blushing and touching and smiling stuff made the authors intent pretty obvious if you took a moment to think about it.

I didn't even know Korrasami was a thing until after the finale but whatever people are stupid in any Internet echo chamber.

I do imagine gay teens or young adults getting like, beat by homophobic parents or second guessing their sexuality but then watching a show like Korra and finding real comfort in a positive media representation of same sex attraction and I think that is a wonderful thing though. It is something to praise and the attention is very warranted.

Makes me wonder where the line between simply trolling anime spergs and legitimate prejudice is with some poo poo I've read about this finale though.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I'd put that down to it being the start of their relationship more than anything else. Korra's learned not to rush things. :unsmith:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Miss Nomer posted:

On the topic of characters from Avatar , who is everyone's favorite and least favorite?

Out of major characters, for the entire franchise? I think it says a lot that for me they're both from LoK. Korra's my favorite. Bolin is my least favorite.

americong posted:

reading thread from beginning to see the journey

You don't need some big psychological flaw to overcome to have depth, but it is kind of a shame Asami is defined mostly by her relationship to other characters.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'd put that down to it being the start of their relationship more than anything else. Korra's learned not to rush things. :unsmith:

Yeah probably. But it's not casual. It's tentative.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People love Toph and her character development was basically nil except for her relationship with other characters. It's okay for there to be a 'bedrock' character who can provide a sounding board and reliable interaction for various characters. Asami got basically the only reasonable development she could have had. (Getting over her father's betrayal.) It'd be nice if it had more time though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Miss Nomer posted:

Most favorite: Zhu Li.
Why?: She's actually super cute, and pretty awesome. Going from a background character with zero lines to being a pretty badass and formidable fighter with a spine and will of pure steel is way more character progression, in relative terms, than some of the other characters in the show.

Least favorite: Meelo.
Why?: Fartbending. :effort:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Toph was really quirky and over the top though. That makes it easier to watch a character with less depth.

Asami is just totally even and mature pretty much the whole time. That's much harder to make interesting. I kind of like the idea I've seen bandied around that she should have gotten airbending in Book 3 instead of Bumi, but I guess the cast needed a token non-bender. Transparent Equalist pandering if you asked me.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I liked Azula most. And I liked Kuvira, what we got of her. And I like Cersei in ASOIAF. I have problems, and a type. I'm sorry.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DrSunshine posted:

Most favorite: Zhu Li.
Why?: She's actually super cute, and pretty awesome. Going from a background character with zero lines to being a pretty badass and formidable fighter with a spine and will of pure steel is way more character progression, in relative terms, than some of the other characters in the show.
Agreed

Least favourite: S2 Korra.
An entire season of NO, gently caress YOU DAD

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Eej posted:

Agreed

Least favourite: S2 Korra.
An entire season of NO, gently caress YOU DAD

Remember when Korra threatened to murder a Judge in full view of the courtroom, and she meant it?

Sometimes I miss murderous hot-head Korra.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Eej posted:

Agreed

:kimchi:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Favorite: Avatar Wan, followed by Korra, then the put-upon duo of Cop Mako and Chief Lin.
Least: Meelo, hands down. His VA is just grating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

.. Man, I think Zhu-Li is in fact my favorite character from Korra. How the gently caress did that happen?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I, too, have a thing for Zhu Li:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Miss Nomer posted:

I can't decide on a favourite, but if I really had to, it would be a tie between OG Iroh, Toph and Korra. ATLAA and LOK have a lot of characters I liked.

Least favourite character is Bolin. I will never forgive the creators for trying to shove down so much poo poo down my throat.

Thank you, Trash Boat.

edit: I suppose I could add Azula to the favorite list too. She was really well done throughout the whole show.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 24, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Toph treating Bolin like a gibbering idiot when they first met was pretty great.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

.. Man, I think Zhu-Li is in fact my favorite character from Korra. How the gently caress did that happen?

Definitive proof that this is, in fact, a genuine 100% anime anime. :japan: They could've added sparkles to this and I wouldn't even have batted an eye.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, she needed to tilt her head for the transition to be complete.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Do the Japanese know how well the Gaijins have ripped off Full Metal Alchemist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Best characters: Korra, Zhu Li, Toph
Worst character: Meelo

• Locked thread