Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
You can build a small gang that way but not an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

You can build a small gang that way but not an army.

The SS had an unit that specifically recruited violent criminals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Animal Man story in Secret Origins was just a retelling of the whole series. I guess maybe there's one or two people who only know him from Justice League United, won't read his book, and this is how they get the backstory, but it's a bit of a missed opportunity, especially in getting Travel Foreman back.

e: Also the Dick story is useless for Grayson fans who know anything about the character. You do see an N52 version of his Titans suit, if that hasn't been shown before.
Not reading the Katana portion.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 24, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Animal Man story in Secret Origins was just a retelling of the whole series. I guess maybe there's one or two people who only know him from Justice League United, won't read his book, and this is how they get the backstory, but it's a bit of a missed opportunity, especially in getting Travel Foreman back.

e: Also the Dick story is useless for Grayson fans who know anything about the character. You do see an N52 version of his Titans suit, if that hasn't been shown before.
Not reading the Katana portion.
Has DC decided if the Titans ever existed yet? Or do Starfire, Dick, and Cyborg exist in some kind of vacuum still?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Has DC decided if the Titans ever existed yet? Or do Starfire, Dick, and Cyborg exist in some kind of vacuum still?

I believe they decided that they never did. Roy questioning Starfire about the Titans apparently got edited out when RHATO got a trade, and Cyborg's whole origin is explicitly tied to the Justice League and he hasn't left the League since the N52 started.

As for why Dick ever had the disco collar or any N52 variation of it, I suppose they're just going with Dick standing around awkwardly going "Look it seemed like a good idea on paper, okay?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here ya go. Hanging out with Arsenal, Starfire, others while he was Robin, not calling them Titans.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 24, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

I believe they decided that they never did. Roy questioning Starfire about the Titans apparently got edited out when RHATO got a trade, and Cyborg's whole origin is explicitly tied to the Justice League and he hasn't left the League since the N52 started.

As for why Dick ever had the disco collar or any N52 variation of it, I suppose they're just going with Dick standing around awkwardly going "Look it seemed like a good idea on paper, okay?"

The edit was only on the TT tpb and even then was only the name "Titans". So far we only know that Roy, Kori and Dick teamed up for a while as a non-official team (so pretty much an earlier incarnation of the Outlaws :v:)

There's a slight contradiction though, the most recent issue of RHATO revealed that Roy was only the tech provider for Ollie. He was on his own when he donned the Arsenal identity.

The Discowing suit has been for a while, it was shown first on RHATO 6

Amusingly, they changed the stripes to red on the TPB (they were yellow on the original issue)

Oh, and the RHATO Annual was loving AWESOME

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 24, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
gently caress it then, I redact my previous post, I guess DC hasn't figured out what Dick's deal is. He led the Titans but they're not the titans and Roy's not Arsenal because that comes later and ugh I don't know whether to shake my head at Scott Lobdell or editorial or just the whole drat organization.

I guess the one thing I'll say, and I'm pretty sure DC has stuck to, is that Cyborg has never been involved with any incarnation of Titans, Teen or otherwise, in the New 52.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The Discowing suit has been for a while, it was shown first on RHATO 6

That isn't the suit being talked about.

Discowing is Nightwing with the massive 70's collar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

team overhead smash posted:

That isn't the suit being talked about.

Discowing is Nightwing with the massive 70's collar.

True but it's an obvious homage to that suit.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The suit is more closer to the 90s outfit Dick wore before he got his iconic black suit, blue stripes one. It was scrapped pretty quickly because it looks terrible. At least Discowing was a little charming and had a flair about it that felt right for Dick. This one is just bad.

Secret Origins being a waste of time is nothing new, which is why it's getting cancelled. Grayson Annual was a lot better if you want something Grayson related this week, even if the solicits lied about this being a story about Helena's origins. The most we learned about her is that she's now Frank Bertinelli's granddaughter instead of his daughter and she disappeared 5 years ago from public eye. Still a fun story, but it could have easily been told in a regular issue of Grayson as opposed to an annual.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lotus circle posted:

Secret Origins being a waste of time is nothing new, which is why it's getting cancelled.

Jeff Lemire and Travel Foreman back again. I had to give it a shot :(

e: Actually, it wasn't a total loss. I made a wallpaper out of this:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 24, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lotus circle posted:

The suit is more closer to the 90s outfit Dick wore before he got his iconic black suit, blue stripes one. It was scrapped pretty quickly because it looks terrible. At least Discowing was a little charming and had a flair about it that felt right for Dick. This one is just bad.

Secret Origins being a waste of time is nothing new, which is why it's getting cancelled. Grayson Annual was a lot better if you want something Grayson related this week, even if the solicits lied about this being a story about Helena's origins. The most we learned about her is that she's now Frank Bertinelli's granddaughter instead of his daughter and she disappeared 5 years ago from public eye. Still a fun story, but it could have easily been told in a regular issue of Grayson as opposed to an annual.

The suit from the Red Hood page has nearly exactly the same "feathers" as the disco suit dude. It's clearly an homage to the original, not the 90's revamp. And as far as the revamp suit being scrapped quickly? It debuted in 1992 in New Titans and lasted a full three years until the Nightwing mini series. That's not quick at all. poo poo, Arsenal went through more suits than Dick did.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Rhyno posted:

The suit from the Red Hood page has nearly exactly the same "feathers" as the disco suit dude. It's clearly an homage to the original, not the 90's revamp. And as far as the revamp suit being scrapped quickly? It debuted in 1992 in New Titans and lasted a full three years until the Nightwing mini series. That's not quick at all. poo poo, Arsenal went through more suits than Dick did.

The yellow stripes follow a similar pattern to the disco suit moreso than the suits that followed, but the defining feature of the disco suit isn't that the yellow stripes go in two bands as opposed to a single larger band, but rather the giant gently caress off 70's disco collar and bare chest.

You are right to say that it obviously calls back to the disco suit in some way, but at the same time it very obviously isn't the disco suit because it doesn't have its defining feature.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I clearly use the word "homage" in both of my posts. It's also the lighter shade of blue.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TwoPair posted:

gently caress it then, I redact my previous post, I guess DC hasn't figured out what Dick's deal is. He led the Titans but they're not the titans and Roy's not Arsenal because that comes later and ugh I don't know whether to shake my head at Scott Lobdell or editorial or just the whole drat organization.

I guess the one thing I'll say, and I'm pretty sure DC has stuck to, is that Cyborg has never been involved with any incarnation of Titans, Teen or otherwise, in the New 52.
It's been almost three and a half years and DC still can't make a Nu52 Bible to get half this poo poo straight. Working as a writer at DC must be the most miserable thing you could do. There's still stuff happening like "Did Superman die to Doomsday?" as late as this year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

It's been almost three and a half years and DC still can't make a Nu52 Bible to get half this poo poo straight. Working as a writer at DC must be the most miserable thing you could do. There's still stuff happening like "Did Superman die to Doomsday?" as late as this year.

That would have required DC editorial to have gotten together with a bunch of writers and mapped out what had and had not happened in the New 52, but for as much as Didio tries to run DC like a show runner, he's not shown any desire to actually Do the sorts of things required for that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Figure after Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow, Andrea Sorrentino might have some fans in this thread. He just did a story across Bendis' two X-Men annuals and it's great.
I posted some pages in the art thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400783&pagenumber=117#post439395247

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here ya go. Hanging out with Arsenal, Starfire, others while he was Robin, not calling them Titans.

Christ that art is bad. Lifeless as hell.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I should've known Godhead would end with a big reset to status quo, but I'm underwhelmed nonetheless. DC got a last laugh on me before shrinking its Green Lantern line next year. First half of Godhead was pretty fun, at least.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Space Fish posted:

I should've known Godhead would end with a big reset to status quo, but I'm underwhelmed nonetheless. DC got a last laugh on me before shrinking its Green Lantern line next year. First half of Godhead was pretty fun, at least.

Can you summarize it for those of us in the cheap seats?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Starfire this is no time for sunbathing retie the back of your bikini and let's go

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thoughts on Godhead:

I've been following Green Lantern via the trade editions through my local library and they've been okay as sheer eye candy / Saturday morning cartoon fare, but with the marketing push behind Godhead and the premise of the New Gods coming in and exposing all the different Lanterns as spoiled children, I was hyped enough to dig in for all the issues as they came out.

The first several issues delivered what I wanted, with each New God's arrival via a dominant BOOM panel and subsequent defeat and de-ringing of the nearest lantern(s) feeling really satisfying. This was like the recent "Relic" arc but with more characters and personality (insofar as New God dramatics count as personality, which fits Green Lantern well enough). Godhead takes place over three "acts" of a half-dozen issues each, which would imply a classic story structure, but the second act is where the air started falling out of the story's sails. The different lanterns are still helpless against New Gods, but they kinda-sorta fight back a few times, whether it's with the Weaponer's tools (Stewart throwing a shield a la Captain America was a neat moment), team-ups of different glowing beams, or Sinestro activating the self-destruct in select rings within his corps.

Some of the details are already fuzzy because they felt more like shuffling pieces around than deliberate, purposeful storytelling choices. Guy and Simon are captured, then break out. Kyle and Carol fly together and have feelings for each other, then are captured and de-ringed, then get out, then lie low until they get rings back. Orion is a hotheaded brawler and nothing else. Hal has the most fully formed development in which he starts fighting the New Gods by simply leading the corps like a tactician, then Sinestro motivates him to act more like a wild card, so Hal leaves to recruit black lantern Black Hand, which leads to bringing all the life forms captured in the Source Wall back to life (a really enjoyable moment that's been teased for years, I could hardly believe it happened). Compared to past Hal moments of eating fear for breakfast, I liked seeing him try new angles. Being a leader of the Green Rings of Authority should mean having to be the one to reach out to odd/unexpected solutions, and I hope that keeps happening.

What does Highfather want with one of each ring, anyway? He wants to wield the Life Equation in order to remake the universe as He sees fit, with everyone serving as an effort toward the ever-looming encounter with Darkseid. Yawn: all the patronizing treatment from the New Gods, and it's about another military invasion? Darkseid is only a spoken-about threat, though, as Highfather keeps warning that he must do everything he can to prepare for war and everyone else is like "these earthlings have repelled Darkseid before, don't underestimate them." He gets his wish and assimilates some large groups of aliens into soldiers, then Kyle is told by the Guardians that he is the personal gateway for the Life Equation and can take it back from Highfather (and does). Upon seeing Kyle alive as a white lantern, Saint Walker's hope is restored and he accepts the blue ring again, which powers up Hal enough to prevent a catastrophe during the end fight and save everyone's lives. Highfather sees the error of his ways and vows not to become an equivalent to Darkseid. Walker's arc from lost to regained faith was a huge bright spot for me, I just feel like a lot of the journey getting there was inconsequential. At the end, the New Gods leave back to Genesis claiming an alliance, and there may be some seeds to grow later, like Sinestro's hard-on for access to new power, Larfleeze's ring being unresolved, and Kyle/Carol (Hal's cool with it for now). The Guardians warn that the Life Equation will spend Kyle's life, but of course don't say how or when or if that really matters compared to saving everyone's lives in the moment.

All in all, a fun event, but not nearly as grand, consequential, or powerfully resolved as I was hoping, especially given the tone of the opening issues. Walker and Mogo's rebirths were particularly uplifting, but the central conflicts lost their oomph well before the climax, especially with so many different arcs to cover. Maybe the stage is set for a better New Gods event? I'll find out through the library.

Credits: The art was pretty throughout - however, John Stewart as a Sapphire should have worn a kilt! Action was consistently easy to follow, and the splash pages were always worth pausing to pore over. Crossover issues with Soule (Red Lanterns), Jordan (New Guardians), and Bunn (Sinestro) were generally better than Venditti's. I actually wouldn't mind another big crossover among them, but they need to tweak the pacing some more.

3/5 stars, would open toybox again

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
While the ending of Godhead was good on itself the story was filled with stupid developments just for drama's sake and terrible characterizations all around.

-It was never truly explained why Mogo's ring was taken (And that should be impossible on the first place, Mogo's ring is its core)

-Larfleeze vanished from the story (despite his series showing that he IS the Orange Light)

-Black Hand went from a truly creepy guy to the town's retard

-While at the end the New Gods become closer to their classical depiction it was stupid to write them like the pre-n52 Apokolips gods. And to boot, it didn't mesh with Highfather and Orion's previous depictions on Wonder Woman

-The whole thing with the light reservoir is STUPID AS gently caress as is the bullshit about the white light slowly killing Kyle.

-Making the Templar Guardians exactly the same as the old guardians is also stupid.

-The whole thing could also been shorter

Still, there were some good moments here and there and so Godhead ends being massively mediocre and not incredibly terrible.

JLD was too contrived for my tastes and I've noticed that each time Constantine is missing from the book, it becomes a drag to read.

Flash keeps being awful, same as Eternal

Manor was interesting but I wouldn't be surprised if Duggan's issues with DC editorial stem from the Border plot.

The Batman annual was alright but still I'm not sold on the Joker being able to pull all the poo poo Snyder and Tynion allow him to do.

Deathstoke was stupidily entertaining.

Gotham by Midnight reads a lot like it wants to be N52 Constantine.

Secret Origin was nice

But still, my favorite book of the week was the RHATO Annual

:allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The Batman annual was alright but still I'm not sold on the Joker being able to pull all the poo poo Snyder and Tynion allow him to do.

The Joker is a terrible character. He's been used well, like in The Killing Joke, but 9 times out of 9.1, he is terrible. It would save on pages if every story a writer wanted to tell with him was just replaced by a single panel saying "Lots of people died, nothing is solved, be horrified/sad".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also the Black Hand was always a terrible villain and no amount of hilarious lovely grimdark cross over events could make him a legitimate threat.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the Black Hand was always a terrible villain and no amount of hilarious lovely grimdark cross over events could make him a legitimate threat.

He was rightfully creepy and a credible villian during the road to Blackest Night and he was more in control of his powers and himself during Wrath of the First Lantern. Hell, he was still a threat during the villian's month one shot last year.

And suddenly he's just reanimating an entire circus and acting like a ten years old kid with no reason or buildup. Plus there's the fact that he was made a blatant Deus Ex Machina for breaking the Source Wall (something that shouldn't even be possible in the first place) But we had to get back the villian of the loving year: Relic :cripes:

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He was rightfully creepy and a credible villian during the road to Blackest Night and he was more in control of his powers and himself during Wrath of the First Lantern. Hell, he was still a threat during the villian's month one shot last year.

And suddenly he's just reanimating an entire circus and acting like a ten years old kid with no reason or buildup. Plus there's the fact that he was made a blatant Deus Ex Machina for breaking the Source Wall (something that shouldn't even be possible in the first place) But we had to get back the villian of the loving year: Relic :cripes:

Honestly Black Hand felt like a throw away villain under Johns since all he did was have heroes get their hearts ripped out due to having bizarre temper tantrums I would expect from the Persona 4 cast.

With Vendetti's version of him, I was tickled by the dude's excitement over dead things. I saw him as less of one of Johns's many boring color corps leaders and more of an actual character who I could get invested in. The source wall thing actually made me laugh because it was just so crazy to see him control the source wall until it eventually backfired on him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love Black Hand. The issue of Green Lantern devoted to him leading into Blackest Night (#43) is one of my favorite comics of all time. It's also some of Doug Mahnke's best work. That doesn't hurt.

WickedHate posted:

The Joker is a terrible character. He's been used well, like in The Killing Joke, but 9 times out of 9.1, he is terrible. It would save on pages if every story a writer wanted to tell with him was just replaced by a single panel saying "Lots of people died, nothing is solved, be horrified/sad".

You should give this week's Batman Annual a shot.
e: and ignore it calling it's self a tie-in if you haven't been reading Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 26, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No, no he wasn't. He was John's trying to write a weird creepy character in a Green Lantern crossover event and it was just super cheesy and forced and was one of the lamest attempts to make a joke of an old villain good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't have much of a problem with Black Hand until I learned a bit about his conception and creation, and his history prior to Blackest Night.

As far as I can tell:

1) His gimmick was that he wrote everything down in a notebook;

2) His name (William Hand) and said gimmick are based on Green Lantern creator Bill Finger, who was in the habit of writing everything down in a notebook;

3) Decades pass.

4) I think his new gimmick is necrophilia?

It's not one of the best reinventions of a Silver Age villain. I think reinventing the Calculator as the supervillain equivalent to Oracle was fine (even if it did happen in Identity Crisis) whereas he'd previously been a guy who wore a keypad on his chest that inoculated him against superpowers. Black Hand comes off as trying too hard, I guess. Sort of like Dr Light, I suppose. You can reimagine a silly villain to make them more menacing, but you can go too far with it, and it becomes really on-the-nose that that's what you're trying to do. That's my impression, anyway. :shrug:

Anyway, more generally, I think I sort of liked Blackest Night. Not as much as the Sinestro Corps War, but I felt there was a lot less pretension in that story. I think I might have enjoyed the former more if it had embraced (as some of the tie-ins did) the patent ridiculousness of its status as a superhero zombie story, but it came off as if Johns thought he was making a big, important and Very SeriousTM statement which ruminates on the transient nature of death in superhero comic books, and it didn't really work for me.

I liked the art a lot. Ivan Reis pencilled the main series and I like Ivan Reis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No, no he wasn't. He was John's trying to write a weird creepy character in a Green Lantern crossover event and it was just super cheesy and forced and was one of the lamest attempts to make a joke of an old villain good.

This. He is like one of the most blatant examples of Johns trying to grimdark up poo poo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Way back in Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League America #28, Black Hand was a neurotic, washed-up mess who was seeing a therapist for porn addiction and superhero phobia.

Granted, Giffen and DeMatteis never found a character they couldn't ignore all previous backstory and development for in order to present them as a loser, but I was really surprised when Black Hand showed up in Johns' GL run as a scary, dangerous sicko.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This. He is like one of the most blatant examples of Johns trying to grimdark up poo poo.

Well, for the event he was spearheading, that was entirely suitable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, for the event he was spearheading, that was entirely suitable.

I don't think anyone was disputing that.

It didn't really work, but neither did Blackest Night so meh.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't think Blackest Night turned out great either, but I think that disgusting necrophile licking Batman's skull was a pretty fun dude.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

I didn't think Blackest Night turned out great either, but I think that disgusting necrophile licking Batman's skull was a pretty fun dude.

Blackest Night was the most fun I've had with zombie super heroes ripping out people's hearts.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

Blackest Night was the most fun I've had with zombie super heroes ripping out people's hearts.

One might say that Blackest Night was definitely the Blackest Night of comic books

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I liked Blackest Night and hate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
As a blockbuster superhero story Blackest Night was pretty good, its only fault was being turned into THE summer event so it got a lot of filler that didn't add much to the main story.

The Tales of the Corps mini was cool though.

• Locked thread