Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have an interview next week. :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Good luck

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Good luck DT, we are all rooting for you dude.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not, screw him.

Oh sorry. :shobon:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Dick Trauma posted:

You got this! :hfive:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

DT can I paypal you some "goodluck bottle of liquor" money?

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Good luck DT. :yotj:

In work related news, I'm out of the office until the 25th (working xmas, but double pay v:shobon:v) and went through all my open stuff on Sunday. I have a few simple cases open, so I asked those users to call back and reference their ticket numbers to our Help Desk for further assistance. Put links to internal KBs and a few troubleshooting steps to take in the work notes, which appear on the top of the Activity section of our ticketing system.

Today I checked my email to follow up on some different cases, and I see an update from one of the easy tickets.

Coworker posted:

123456 - RE: Outlook Error - Updated

User called back regarding ticket. Advised user that assigned resource is out of office until the 25th.

User will not be back in office until the 29th. Resource will call back between 9 AM and 3 PM.

And this is the third time this has happened with this guy. I specifically went to the trouble of being thorough yet simple with these directions, but I guess some people would rather ignore the obscenely-highlighted work notes I put in the ticket. :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Resource :argh:

People have names for gently caress's sake.

That's the issue I have when I check in on our helpdesk - they don't use the helpdesk like it should be used. If you are setting it up right and you run your team properly then it should very rarely matter who actually takes the call. Our guys use people's availability as an excuse to put off resolving things for as long as possible, only to watch the workload pile up and complain that they are understaffed. One of the guys the other day tried to book a site visit for connecting someone to a print queue.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 23, 2014

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
The real kicker is that my day starts at 3 PM. :sigh:

The big problem we have is the fact that--while we do have the staff--about half of them are not trained on how to do basic desktop troubleshooting. For the most part, they just gather information and escalate to different teams. That's how they did it in the past (before they merged with our company) and even after 8 months of cross-training, they still don't get it.

I've brought it up several times with The Powers That Be. They're supposedly working on it, but I have yet to see any sizeable progress.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I had a senior manager email me complaining that his new hire didn't have a phone and it was effecting production because they had published the extension in the phone book already(!)

After I stopped laughing I had to compose a reply as there was a few issues

- no ticket!
- we'd spoke on the phone earlier this morning and agreed it can be done next week as I'd ran out of phones and have some on order but bear in mind it's xmas, couriers suck right now and everyone's on leave so god knows when that delivery will appear etc etc
- he waited until like 16:20 to email and phrased the whole message as if I had gone home and forgotten to sort this despite agreeing it wasn't super urgent.
- the stupid part is he also cc'd a few other senior management presumably to make me look bad (could be wrong I guess) as his new hire was someone I managed out of IT so I suspect she is complaining to her new boss about me and they are trying to point score - luckily for me I have no qualms in gobbing off to stupid senior managers :D

Not to worry- in my reply I politely suggested that perhaps publishing a number that doesn't exist wasn't the smartest thing to do - however if you are sure that particular extension exists despite not having a phone(?!) you could plug a nearby colleagues phone in and activate the divert in the short interim period until we receive a delivery of phones and thereby deal with these vital queries you aren't currently getting.

Either he walked out the door and hasn't seen my email or he has realised he was being a bit of a moron, it will be interesting to see if I get summoned or apologies next week as I may have been slightly sarcastic in my reaction

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

angry armadillo posted:

Either he walked out the door and hasn't seen my email or he has realised he was being a bit of a moron, it will be interesting to see if I get summoned or apologies next week as I may have been slightly sarcastic in my reaction

Well, this IS supposed to be the time of year for miracles...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Told the guy who handles sick leave that I wouldn't be in today due to having a massive infection up one side of my face and not being able to see properly due to it (i'm fine, by the way, antibiotics are fantastic things, swelling is down enough that I can open my eye again properly).

However, I told him on Monday. I got a call from him midday today asking where the hell I was and I got a couple texts from my colleagues mentioning that he was apparently furious that I didn't call up on the day. I loving told the guy the day before that I wouldn't be coming in and that I would be seeing the doctor midday and he was cool with it then, so I don't see what his deal is today unless he's just bored.

Granted, he just switched teams so maybe he's throwing his weight around, but what the gently caress dude.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Common theme around here is a department requests a project from IT, nobody documents anything, and it becomes a mess of broken verbal promises and feigned surprise when someone trips over functionality; when I got tapped for a small project (build a server, install some software, push a client, done) I spent 30 minutes writing up a project outline from a template I found on google and emailed it to the requestor, my boss, and the requestor's manager. No real responses from anyone except an "attach this to the original ticket" from my boss.

Before I left for the day I talked to my boss for a bit and brought up the project outline, and when I asked her if that all was kosher she went "Yes! It was simple and outlined everything that needed to be done and what our responsibility is. I saved a copy of it myself and we're going to push to make this standard moving forward."

So hey, documentation. I hear it's popular these days.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
I got christmas gifts from Microsoft!

They got me KB3008923, which apparently causes IE9 to randomly crash for no reason! It also causes modal dialogs to stop working in web apps in IE11, and they even got me another update to fix that! Of course, I can only apply it to less than 100 workstations since all our applications are worthless poo poo, but still, it's the thought that counts, right? Still nothing for the IE9 one, but I'm still hoping that Santa's gonna give me a little something extra under the tree!

They also got me an update for Silverlight that breaks DRM. I pulled that out before it hit too many computers, so that's like an extra christmas gift!

I also got gifts from McAfee! So far, they've gotten me a broken EPo agent that doesn't take policy updates, encryption that won't kick in more than once every four hours (which is super helpful for all those machines that need to be imaged before January, let me tell you), and a bug in EEFF that causes every application on the computer to freeze up when it tries to display an open or save dialog! That's a load off my mind; having users able to "open" or "save" things just leads to trouble, let me tell you.

I even got myself a little something early!

God bless us, every one!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just posting my pre-emptive condolences for the legions of you guys who are going to be either responding to emergency call outs, cruel shift scheduling, or are underpaid startup slaves who will be working the next two days. I haven't slept right, crapped right, or eaten right since Black Friday, but for me it's finally over. For you, it's just beginning. Goonspeed. (smilie of the guy saluting the US flag but maybe instead of the US flag it's some kind of it flag goes here)

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Scaramouche posted:

Just posting my pre-emptive condolences for the legions of you guys who are going to be either responding to emergency call outs, cruel shift scheduling, or are underpaid startup slaves who will be working the next two days. I haven't slept right, crapped right, or eaten right since Black Friday, but for me it's finally over. For you, it's just beginning. Goonspeed. (smilie of the guy saluting the US flag but maybe instead of the US flag it's some kind of it flag goes here)

Here you go:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Poorly documented libraries that don't do things you expect.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

some kind of it flag goes here
A stylised burning printer on a horizontally bisected red and white background. Red for blood and white for alcohol.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, nobody is here today but apparently my annoying coworker is still coming in. And there go my plans for a quiet, relaxing day to dick around and catch up on most of the poo poo I haven't had time to do.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sounds like you should tell your annoying co-worker that you're sick, and they'll excuse you if you keep your distance today.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

psydude posted:

Well, nobody is here today but apparently my annoying coworker is still coming in. And there go my plans for a quiet, relaxing day to dick around and catch up on most of the poo poo I haven't had time to do.

Headphones?

My contractual work day was 7am-10:30am today. Thanks management, you loving jerks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

There is a penis where the booze should be.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like last night for me.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Volmarias posted:

The dickbag icon would be perfect but it doesn't shrink down to 10x10 very well. Maybe if someone spent more than a minute trying.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

Sounds like last night for me.

So it was a... good night? bad night?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Volmarias posted:

New thread title.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

psydude posted:

Does your coworker narrate every single action, problem or error he might encounter just like mine?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Does your coworker narrate every single action, problem or error he might encounter just like mine?

Holy poo poo, I thought it was just my guy. This guy narrates to himself, as he's writing long-hand notes in a binder, every step he's taking and the result (he has like countless IDENTICAL case notes from when he's working on the same drat problem at a different location), and it always ends with a surprised "huh."

Given the level we're at, I'm constantly amazed that he got a position in our group. Dude asks one of us a question, give him an answer, and he loving ignores it. "I disagree. That's not what the documentation says." "Well, what are your loving eyes telling you?" (conversation embellished for dramatic reasons)

That's when we get all Nick FoleyBurns on him (going Nick Foley on him would be way more satisfying)

"MOVE!" *tappatappatappatappatappa* "There. Was that so hard?"

I swear on more than one occasion the following words have escaped his feed-hole (always accompanied by a pained, confused look), "But... The documentation says that can't happen" (unfortunately, verbatim, not embellished here)

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Gotta love staff that go MIA when they're supposed to be on call. splitting the on-call with a colleague but seriously gently caress that guy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

theperminator posted:

Gotta love staff that go MIA when they're supposed to be on call. splitting the on-call with a colleague but seriously gently caress that guy.

When I was one guy's secondary, the motherfucker would blow off on call and go to a theme park and expect me to take care of tickets for him with not even the courtesy of a warning.

He's finally on thin ice, but it took over a year. I know if I started blowing off my on call there would be hell to pay.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Apparently on his way out our VP was telling people they could go home early today. Guess what group he didn't bother to remember :smith:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

theperminator posted:

Our company has 5 sites so we do 1 week in 5 on call. I got a call last time I was on and the guy said I don't know if you can fix this and we do have paper based contingency but I thought I'd check... 30 mins later all sorted from the comfort of my sofa

I emailed the IT manager and said I've done x y and z to resolve problems on your site just so you know. He actually emailed me back to say as they have paper contingency I would have said get on with paper...I'm sure his colleagues who nearly had to process the paper work are grateful for him!!

Interesting that the documentation gripe has come up as this guy also basically rings you for any call on your site because he claims there is no documentation and he isn't sure how we do things then when we get stuck on his site he doesn't pick up his phone because he takes the attitude he isn't on call.

I think he has come from a previous job where he just followed instructions and didn't ever think for himself, I'd rather just be helpful?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Up until 8AM or so this morning today was supposed to be a really relaxed day because none of the poo poo that's supposed to have arrived a month ago has even left China yet. Well, PMs started PMing hard as gently caress this morning, and it turned into a not very relaxing day at all...

for my coworkers, because I had the forethought to get approved to WFH today. Which I told them to also do. Multiple times.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought it was just my guy. This guy narrates to himself, as he's writing long-hand notes in a binder, every step he's taking and the result (he has like countless IDENTICAL case notes from when he's working on the same drat problem at a different location), and it always ends with a surprised "huh."

Given the level we're at, I'm constantly amazed that he got a position in our group. Dude asks one of us a question, give him an answer, and he loving ignores it. "I disagree. That's not what the documentation says." "Well, what are your loving eyes telling you?" (conversation embellished for dramatic reasons)

That's when we get all Nick FoleyBurns on him (going Nick Foley on him would be way more satisfying)

"MOVE!" *tappatappatappatappatappa* "There. Was that so hard?"

I swear on more than one occasion the following words have escaped his feed-hole (always accompanied by a pained, confused look), "But... The documentation says that can't happen" (unfortunately, verbatim, not embellished here)

You; you are the problem. Stop feeding this guy, stop giving him answers, and stop being a "team player" when it comes to him. If he really is this stupid he will be removed from the position soon enough. If he is just being lazy, he will eventually fix it himself.

Either way, stop doing his job for him and stop engaging him in conversation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

You; you are the problem. Stop feeding this guy, stop giving him answers, and stop being a "team player" when it comes to him. If he really is this stupid he will be removed from the position soon enough. If he is just being lazy, he will eventually fix it himself.

Yeah, not going to happen. I'm a team lead and his mentor. He's actually a decent dude, but man when he doesn't get something he REALLY doesn't get something. I'm coming the conclusion the he's just not that smart. He's made it as far as he has by determination and meticulous note taking and memorization. But he has this inability to think laterally. I've been thinking about keeping him off project work and just leave him on Tier 3 stuff. Really I just needed to vent.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Honestly depending on the situation it might not be true. I have the same type of guy at my place and have talked to my boss about how he needs to go and was pretty much told if we fired him then we would never be given the budget to replace him or hire anyone else. She knows he is useless but is convinced nothing can be done about it. So at this point it its better to stop him before he starts a fire instead of letting hin set one and then just being the guy to put it out.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
poo poo not passing me off: First year not at the (former) in-laws where you'd do IT support on the attic computer just to get away from the goddamn political discussions.

It's a whole new world.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah really - if I wanted political nonsense, I'd click this facebook link about how President Obama revealed himself as a communist, I won't believe what he said!

Anyone else "working" today, but really doing nothing? Working from home advantage, I didn't even wake up until 11:30 (and no one cares).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah really - if I wanted political nonsense, I'd click this facebook link about how President Obama revealed himself as a communist, I won't believe what he said!

Anyone else "working" today, but really doing nothing? Working from home advantage, I didn't even wake up until 11:30 (and no one cares).

I foolishly drove into the office, a co-worker and I are here, he's working on a password manager upgrade, I'm reading the forums... I also passed him some documentation on renewing an IIS cert, so I was somewhat useful.

I've had 3 tickets that I can feasibly do right now and I have another that I will take care of later tonight at like 8-9pm. I should have just WFH