Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They should make the engine code for the 3.5 Ecoboost in certain applications just be "6.9-V10-HiPo" or something. Taking the German's numerical model designation fuckery to its logical conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Linedance posted:

Car2go? I had one for the first time in Calgary. Diesel automatic. What a hateful, awful little machine. Cheaper than a taxi though.

Yeah, car2go. Not a diesel, so I believe the 1.0L 3-cylinder. Granted it's a car share car so maybe it should get a small benefit of the doubt, like a rental car, but holy poo poo it was bad.

The transmission is HORRIBLE. Literally takes 1.5 - 2 seconds to shift and does it at the absolute worst times. The brake pedal was stiff as gently caress and had less than zero feel. It was basically just an on/off switch. Almost impossible to modulate or apply gently. The steering was looser, less precise, and had less feedback than my old family-hand-me-down beater '94 Taurus I had in high school ten years ago, and that's saying something.

And yet, despite how utterly awful the ForTwo is I'll surely drive more of them since car2go is so loving convenient and cheap.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The car2go's in San Diego are electric, and I had 'fun' driving them. Not really actual fun, but it wasn't terrible, aside from being limited to 65mph.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

They should make the engine code for the 3.5 Ecoboost in certain applications just be "6.9-V10-HiPo" or something. Taking the German's numerical model designation fuckery to its logical conclusion.

Amazingly, the americans seem to do this in reverse. "150" and "1500" used to signify half ton, or a payload capacity of half a ton. the f-150 has a max payload of 3300lbs, and the ram 2500 "3/4 ton" has a payload of up to 4000lbs. If the germans were playing, the Mercedes half ton would be called the P4500

MrYenko posted:

The 5.4/5spd is already crash and emissions certified in that platform, and has no sales benefit from getting a new power train like a Corvette, Shelby Mustang, Challenger Hellcat, or other low-production model would.

But at this point, they're producing the 5.4 entirely for that low volume vehicle. the navigator/expedition dropped it, and actual e-series van is gone. BMW has 8 drivetrain combos for the 5 series gran turismo for a couple thousand sales a year.

Linedance posted:

Car2go? I had one for the first time in Calgary. Diesel automatic. What a hateful, awful little machine. Cheaper than a taxi though.

I looked up car2go in calgary the one day because i was there with the rig, and it seems to me there are only a few very specific occasions in which it would be useful. car2go is $15/hour for a smart car and 45 cents a km after 200, through costco i reserved a corolla for $30 a day with unlimited mileage, and ended up getting bumped up to a three hunnert horsepower impala. And they came and picked me up from the truck before, and drove me back to the truck after the rental. So $30 gets you two hours with a smart car, or 24 with three hunnert horsepowers.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 23, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

But at this point, they're producing the 5.4 entirely for that low volume vehicle. the navigator/expedition dropped it, and actual e-series van is gone.

The production infrastructure is already paid for, for a vehicle that they probably don't plan on updating, sort of like the Panther chassis cars lingering on for nearly ever. They cost nearly nothing to just keep building.

Powershift posted:

BMW has 8 drivetrain combos for the 5 series gran turismo for a couple thousand sales a year.

BMW builds halo cars, at least for the NA market. It's not the same thing as work vehicles. Also; their production process was likely designed specifically with that modularity in mind, while Fords was probably designed in the seventies by men who were trained in the fifties.

It's like comparing apples and rocket engines.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 24, 2019

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Just a dumb looking guy sitting in his car, right?

Guy parks in a handicap spot, then sits in his car to prevent it from being towed.

quote:

A driver who wrongly parked in a disabled bay in Birmingham sat in his car for more than seven hours to stop it being towed away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30591166

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrYenko posted:

The production infrastructure is already paid for, for a vehicle that they probably don't plan on updating, sort of like the Panther chassis cars lingering on for nearly ever. They cost nearly nothing to just keep building.

BMW builds halo cars, at least for the NA market. It's not the same thing as work vehicles. Also; their production process was likely designed specifically with that modularity in mind, while Fords was probably designed in the seventies by men who were trained in the fifties.

It's like comparing apples and rocket engines.

The panther cars sold ~80,000 units in the last full year. in that same year ford built over 150,000 4.6 engines, and well over half a million the year before. Last year they only built around 100,000 5.4 engines, and this year they'd be lucky to break 25,000. All that's being built at the windsor plant at this point is the 5.4 and 6.8, extremely low volume engines.

I would bet that the only reason they still build the 5.4 is to keep the windsor plant running without retooling, and the only reason they do that is to keep money flowing from the ontario government.

Back on topic though. This never gets easier to see. The worst part is, someone found one of the vehicles done like this on an auto trader website in russia, and they never mentioned any damage.

Whole bunch more here: http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/41736.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

Amazingly, the americans seem to do this in reverse. "150" and "1500" used to signify half ton, or a payload capacity of half a ton. the f-150 has a max payload of 3300lbs, and the ram 2500 "3/4 ton" has a payload of up to 4000lbs. If the germans were playing, the Mercedes half ton would be called the P4500

But at this point, they're producing the 5.4 entirely for that low volume vehicle. the navigator/expedition dropped it, and actual e-series van is gone. BMW has 8 drivetrain combos for the 5 series gran turismo for a couple thousand sales a year.

I looked up car2go in calgary the one day because i was there with the rig, and it seems to me there are only a few very specific occasions in which it would be useful. car2go is $15/hour for a smart car and 45 cents a km after 200, through costco i reserved a corolla for $30 a day with unlimited mileage, and ended up getting bumped up to a three hunnert horsepower impala. And they came and picked me up from the truck before, and drove me back to the truck after the rental. So $30 gets you two hours with a smart car, or 24 with three hunnert horsepowers.

They're strictly for urban usage, really. I picked mine up at the airport and drove it to 17th and dropped it off. Only cost a few bucks vs. probably at least $40 for a taxi. Really, it's more a taxi alternative than a rental car alternative. It's still a horrible, horrible car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kimcicle posted:

Guy parks in a handicap spot, then sits in his car to prevent it from being towed.

I really hope this dude gets fined into oblivion. Too many mongs park in disabled spaces because they're too loving lazy to walk 50 yards. You have a car so you don't have to walk anywhere, you've already saved yourself a half a mile walk to the shop you lazy cunts, what's a few legitimate paces going to hurt?

*edit: he got away with it? loving hell. :(

In one earlier report he was saying "It's very important, I have to go pick up my daughter!" Yeah so loving important that you'll sit around in the car until 6pm you bell end... :rolleyes:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 24, 2014

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

kimcicle posted:

I saw that happen in Boston once, to an extent. The guy wasn't in a handicapped space but pulled into a no parking area between two apartment complexes to drop off Chinese menus in all the mailboxes. A tow truck pulled in, started to back up to it and the guy sprinted back to his car and got inside. The tow guy picked up the front end, argued with the menu guy for 10 minutes or so then just dropped it and left. I figured the truck driver decided messing around with this guy for any longer was going to cost him another easier target to tow away, cut his losses on the menu guy and moved on to the next one. I can't imagine waiting it out for 7 hours, crazy.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Edward IV posted:

Which one? The older model with the terrible automated manual transmission or the new one with the real manual or a DCT? Not that it matters because either is still an impractical, overpriced, underpowered piece of garbage. :haw:

Whichever automatic is in the Miami Car2Go fleet is awful, worse than when my brother was learning manual. The electric ones in the Autism Car2Go fleet are nicer to drive.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bigbillystyle posted:

I can't imagine waiting it out for 7 hours, crazy.

...and you just know that this dude is utterly loving insufferable in general anyway as only THE WORST people park in handicap spaces when they're not eligible.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the Autism Car2Go fleet

You'll have to be more specific :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

1500quidporsche posted:

My uncle has an early 80s Mustang with 20k on the odometer and swears its a future classic despite the V8 putting out something like 150hp when it was new. Its been the butt of jokes at every family gathering since I've grown up. In recent years he's been panicking since he has TRX tires and his investment is going to go belly up trying to source new ones.

quote:

Supplies of the 2.8 L proved inadequate leading to it being replaced in late 1979 with Ford's 85 hp (63 kW) 3.3 L straight-six.

hhahahahaha

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kimcicle posted:

Wow, British cops must be super chill.

If you tried that here they'd break your window, drag you out of the car at gunpoint and kick the poo poo out of you to the point where you'd need to be put into a medically-induced coma for a few weeks before putting your car on the flatbed.

Content:

Couldn't get a picture of the setup in operation but I saw an old guy in a last-gen Lincoln Town Car weaving through traffic earlier and tailgating the gently caress out of anyone ahead of him. What made him stand out was his brake light setup - blinker module for the brake lights themselves, strobe lights in the backup lights wired into the brake light circuit and topping the package off was a rotating yellow caution light installed where the third brake light should have been.

I guess if you're an aggressive tailgater you know what it takes to keep your own kind from rear-ending someone.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 24, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Seems his point was that they went straight to trying to tow his car, when they're meant to just fine you, and only tow if you're still there after a set amount of time. And that he was happy to pay the fine they're meant to levy for the situation.

If that's the case, I don't have a great problem with it. I don't have a lot of faith in the ability of the council to follow their own rules.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I still kind of have a problem with it. This time of year plenty of disabled people need to park to do there dumb Christmas shopping, him being fined doesn't help any of them getting a parking spot.
Also, yeah, if you can afford the fines (because they are peanuts compared to the income of some people), some just park illegally by choice because they can afford it and sometimes not much more than paying for parking these days anyway. So they cop the fine and laugh it off but stop traffic, legitimate parkers etc. gently caress them, car being towed ASAP to clear the space is a better penalty if it's sometimes justified, (depending on situation like clearways, loading zones, disabled parking - not overstaying regular parking though)
Guy's story doesn't add up either, if he was picking someone up or dropping them off then he would just be stopping, (ie never leaving the car) not parking and leaving the car.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 24, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I heard somewhere that Germany calculates traffic criminal fines relative to income. Sounds like a good idea.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 25, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had that happened in America that motherfucker would be dead by now.

We all know we're thinking it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

The gently caress he would, he's white. They would have apologized for the inconvenience and sent him on his way.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Rhyno posted:

But he's not black?

e: I don't live in America, so the news here only ever reports "Policeman goes to do presentation to schoolkids about not using drugs, shoots seventeen".

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 25, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cops shot a white dude in the loving face here in Indiana just 3 months ago. Wasn't even armed. You don't have to be black to get killed, just act like a loving oval office hard enough.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

hurr durr racism blerp derp

If it was a donk, they'd kill him- and we'd all rejoice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Viggen posted:

hurr durr racism blerp derp

If it was a donk, they'd kill him- and we'd all rejoice.

It's not about race, it's about being a loving jackass to the police. In Indiana he'd have been pulled from the car and beaten without mercy.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Rhyno posted:

It's not about race, it's about being a loving jackass to the police. In Indiana he'd have been pulled from the car and beaten without mercy.

I wasn't mocking you (this time).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh cops were present and he disobeyed them? Then yeah, he'd be a red mist inside the car. Which would be auctioned off to support police operations.

Knowing your rights disobeying a direct order from a civilian law enforcement officer is a death sentence that overrides white immunity.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
What's the going rate for red mist these days? Is it measured by volume or mass? I need some for rituals.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

bro truck haiku:
found on instagram
the wheels are called "berretta"
should be shot with one

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 25, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Low profile off road tires and every jeep accessory in the jegs catalog. Nice.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A local 21 year old purchased (with his father (lol)) an Aerial Atom.

Care to guess what happened?

http://www.cbs8.com/story/27705033/4-injured-in-crash-involving-ariel-atom-sports-car

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That'll happen.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I drove a supercharged Atom a few years ago through one if those "drive a lambo for an hour" Groupons. Quite possibly the most bonkers thing I've driven. Also, terrifying when every car around you could decapitate you. Now if only it had been on a race track and not the street.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Horse Divorce posted:

I heard somewhere that Germany calculates traffic fines relative to income. Sounds like a good idea.

Nope, not Germany. Traffic fines here are ridiculously low for everyone. Some Scandinavian country does it like that afaik? Sweden perhaps?

Criminal fines however, those are usually set relative to income here. But most traffic violations aren't criminal offenses.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Ah, that must have been it. Still like the idea, though.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Chinatown posted:

A local 21 year old purchased (with his father (lol)) an Aerial Atom.

Care to guess what happened?

http://www.cbs8.com/story/27705033/4-injured-in-crash-involving-ariel-atom-sports-car

Looks like the Atom spun out and slid backwards into the SUV. Probably the only reason the people in the Atom are alive. Whomever wrote that article is an idiot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably came around that corner, back end kinda went sideways, he lets off, it grips the other way and spins.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Never lift. Ever.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Never lift. Ever.

Lift. Not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot