Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The big reason to not have manuals at all in these cars is because they're not a popular choice, and having fewer choices makes design, engineering, and industrialized manufacturing cheaper: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/03/avoidable-contact-airbags-killed-the-am-radio-star/

I am aware, but that is a quality link that everyone should read. My post was more about the fact that with modern automatics there's a lot of vehicle types for which they are just strictly the smarter choice anyway.

I miss my last car, which was a manual, and my next car will be a manual, but if I were in the market for a full-size truck or other large, heavy vehicle with poo poo handling dynamics why would I want a manual for it? The originally linked car that started this conversation is a fairly large luxury sedan with 640hp, a good automatic is going to simply be a better choice in a car like that. If we were still living in the era of four-speed autos and other such nonsense I'd be aboard the all-manual, all the time train too, but we aren't.

Edit: If you're complaining about no manual option in a fat Cadillac you aren't the demographic for that car anyway. When the Corvette or Miata come auto-only, then there's a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

HotCanadianChick posted:

The 1.0 EB isn't the cheap model, it's mid-pack priced out of the various Fiesta trims. And actually has fewer options than the other mid-trim models. You're paying more money to get a (more powerful, more efficient) 3 cylinder engine and a stick vs. the four pot and automatic on the base trim Fiesta.

You misread his post, he's talking about the Focus. Not the Fiesta.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Q_res posted:

Ach, saw 1.0 ecoboost and my mind automatically filled in Fiesta instead of Focus. Didn't know they were putting that engine in other cars now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I thought the 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta was a neat idea until I learned that it's basically a stripper at a mid-level price. In 2014 black steel wheels with plastic covers shouldn't even exist, poo poo like that is inexcusable and only continues to exist to drive people into higher trim (More expensive) models.

The Japanese have been on the right path, instead of ridiculous option lists offer limited trim lines. Actual material and production costs between things like cloth and the cheap leather you find in most cars, seat heaters, slightly fancier radios, etc, are absolutely minimal and I'd sooner support a company that honestly builds the best possible car they can with few options for a given market segment's price point.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wheeee posted:

In 2014 black steel wheels with plastic covers shouldn't even exist

I prefer alloys too but :cmon:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Previa_fun posted:

I prefer alloys too but :cmon:

Also lot of people prefer cloth to leather

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
In other celebrated-nameplates-returning-to-the-US news, FIAT has trademarked the 124 and 124 spyder badges. Soviet-bloc car afficionados will remember that the 124 formed the basis for the Lada and Zastava sedans.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/12/fiat-trademarks-124-124-spider.html

Could these be Miata based coupes and convertibles?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Alfa pulled out of the Mazda partnership sadly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BabyMauler posted:

Alfa pulled out of the Mazda partnership sadly.

Um, no?

They decided to make their version of the Miata with a Fiat/Abarth badge, and use a separate unrelated platform for their Alfa roadster. They haven't pulled out, just switched which badge the car will sell under.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a24562/fiat-gets-miata-based-roadster/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ach, saw 1.0 ecoboost and my mind automatically filled in Fiesta instead of Focus. Didn't know they were putting that engine in other cars now.

One of my dad's friends has a Focus wagon with the 125hp 1.0, it's pretty peppy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KozmoNaut posted:

One of my dad's friends has a Focus wagon with the 125hp 1.0, it's pretty peppy.

I'm assuming this is Europe, or did they get these things in Canada? I guess the major problem is that here the 125hp 1.0 is an additional charge over the 160hp 2.0, which really isn't a bad engine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Q_res posted:

The point is still true though. Looks like the 1.0L engine only comes in the mid-level SE Ford Focus trim, and it's a $800 upgrade (and probably really $1500 since there's an "EcoBoost" package that every dealer will probably order it with.)

I guess if you were in the market for a fuel efficient, manual car that was not tiny or bare bones, that Focus might appeal to you?

Edit: But it's not even that fuel efficient. It gets the same highway as the normal Focus and 2 MPG better in city.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 24, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm assuming this is Europe, or did they get these things in Canada? I guess the major problem is that here the 125hp 1.0 is an additional charge over the 160hp 2.0, which really isn't a bad engine.

Yeah, Denmark.

It gets significantly better mileage than the 2.0, which matters when gas is hella expensive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, Denmark.

It gets significantly better mileage than the 2.0, which matters when gas is hella expensive.

I filled up a Focus with the 2.0 last night, it went 360 miles on this tank:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh good so I can get a real fiata.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I filled up a Focus with the 2.0 last night, it went 360 miles on this tank:

36-38 is what we average on the highway in our 08 Focus as well. I have no complaints about the mpg and the car has been supremely cheap to maintain so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Watching a video of a comparison between the Z/28 and new GT3 and I learned that the Z/28 can be found for well under MSRP. That's a hell of a deal.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm not a MOPAR guy, I'm not even a GM or Ford guy except for the Mustang. I've always been about Mazda, Lexus, Mercedes, Nismo and Subaru.

But... Then I saw the Charger Hellcat in person. Then I heard that supercharger whine on acceleration. Then I felt that leather interior, and the amount of room and comfort I have in the cabin. That delightful red paintjob and those aggressive headlights.

I have no words. I've been converted and I didn't even know it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

The 125hp 1.0 fiesta is the second highest epa rated Strait gasoline car. Only 1 or 2mpg behind the most efficient car which is 74hp. The expectation was that you could make up the difference in fuel economy, but that won't happen at 2 bucks a gallon.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I think you guys are missing the most important fact about the 1.0 ecoboost. The turbocharger spins at up to 248,000 rpms. That's over 4000 rotations per second. What the gently caress.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZMwk14r4c

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Also the engine is tiny and adorable. It's the size of an adult chihuahua.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think you guys are missing the most important fact about the 1.0 ecoboost. The turbocharger spins at up to 248,000 rpms. That's over 4000 rotations per second. What the gently caress.

How the gently caress.. Does this work

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

248k? That's a typo right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Turbines spin a shitload faster than engines do, seeing as they have no reciprocating mass whatsoever and generally get extremely finely balanced.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SperginMcBadposter posted:

248k? That's a typo right?

Totally believable for a turbocharger that small. Turbomachinery spins fast.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

I mean you have a valid point, but a lot of the time I see that request it's in the context of discussing how (2WD) pickups can be had with a powerful V8 and a not excessive amount of weight for under $25k, and if they had a manual option they would make a fantastic poor man's muscle car, or base for someone who wanted to build a drag car on the cheap.

Then again, that would probably undercut the market for the actual muscle cars to some extent.

E: That is to say, the people clamoring for manual pickups aren't envisioning using them for traditional "truck things".

Do automakers really need to encourage more full size truck owners to treat their vehicles like sports cars? Does that not happen enough as it is?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

Do automakers really need to encourage more full size truck owners to treat their vehicles like sports cars? Does that not happen enough as it is?

387hp V8, 4200lb RWD vehicle.

chrysler has been calling that a sportscar for years now.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It really does strike me as odd that Ford has built one of the fastest stock pickups ever made, but isn't marketing it as such.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It really does strike me as odd that Ford has built one of the fastest stock pickups ever made, but isn't marketing it as such.

The transmission even has a sport mode.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Isn't the GM 6.2l the fastest truck right now? I thought the Fastest Ford was about the same as the fasted Dodge. They might be faster than the original lightning but if you are going to make a special fast truck it should be significantly faster than normal trucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Isn't the GM 6.2l the fastest truck right now? I thought the Fastest Ford was about the same as the fasted Dodge. They might be faster than the original lightning but if you are going to make a special fast truck it should be significantly faster than normal trucks.

The hemi regular cab ram is, but the f150 press trucks were 4x4 extended cab lariat that weighed 4960 lbs. Even then, the 5000lb 2.7 liter f150 does the quarter at 15.1@92.8 to the 6.2s 14.6@96.6 and reg cab hemi ram at 14.1@99 .

And that's the baby ecoboost with 800lbs of extra equipment.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Car and Driver actually just put an instrumented test of a 5500lb platinum supercrew with the 3.5l V6 up and claim it made 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. Looks like it runs out of steam a after that since it only does the 1/4 in 14.4 at 95 but still, that's a loaded 4x4 that weighs a half ton more than the stripper regular cab.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm not a MOPAR guy, I'm not even a GM or Ford guy except for the Mustang. I've always been about Mazda, Lexus, Mercedes, Nismo and Subaru.

But... Then I saw the Charger Hellcat in person. Then I heard that supercharger whine on acceleration. Then I felt that leather interior, and the amount of room and comfort I have in the cabin. That delightful red paintjob and those aggressive headlights.

I have no words. I've been converted and I didn't even know it.

Mopar guys are weird, it's a disease. American cars have a unique flair, and Chrysler has always been at the fringe when it comes to that. Often you get insane garbage, but when they get it right it's hilarious.

I've had my Daytona Ram near a decade now and it still makes people smile and laugh. It's just so obnoxious and pointless that either people fall in love with it or think it's the best joke ever, but I've yet to meet someone who honestly hates it. The Hellcat is that turned to 11.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I thought the 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta was a neat idea until I learned that it's basically a stripper at a mid-level price. In 2014 black steel wheels with plastic covers shouldn't even exist, poo poo like that is inexcusable and only continues to exist to drive people into higher trim (More expensive) models.

No, steel wheels are great. If Ford didn't offer them it wouldn't have been nearly as easy for me to get winter wheels. I do think Ford should offer the 1.0 EB on more trim levels instead of just the one specific SE model.

What really shouldn't exist anymore are rear drum brakes.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Drum brakes on passenger cars are an abomination in tyool 2014.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drum brakes. Beam axles. 4 speed autos.

Basically the 2015 Toyota Corolla.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ariel is supposed to be revealing their new car on January 9th.

Behold the Nomad:

:gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Where can I put my deposit? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Ariel is supposed to be revealing their new car on January 9th.

Behold the Nomad:

:gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Hot loving drat. That looks amazing.