Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Hurt posted:

You can't switch DT's avatar. Its a perfect warning of exactly what to expect from DT.
He's our coal mine canary. If you see jigglin', you can be sure that up ahead are opinions that if you find yourself agreeing with them, you should turn back immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's fine, I hosed up.

She really is.

Of course even now that I've admitted I walked into a minefield I shouldn't have, I have a good feeling you still won't let up.

I'm a very ill fit for this forum, all I seem to be able to do is get people to virtually dog pile on me, guess I just don't get the appeal or how to fit in.

Keep the insults, snide comments and poo poo coming, it isn't the first time I hosed up like this. Or you know go back to talking about comics.

Dude, stop.

Senor Candle posted:

Jesus are people talking about Empowered again or something?

Empowered is the best fetish comic ever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

CapnAndy posted:

Empowered is awesome but Adam Warren really needs to pull up and start giving the charactes some wins and happy times soon, it's in real danger of hitting the "well if everything is terrible forever and only getting worse why am I sticking around" despair spiral.

It's pretty light-hearted for a Adam Warren book compared to books like Mangaverse Fantastic Four (everybody dies), Gen13 (everybody dies), or Livewires (nearly everybody dies).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lencho posted:

Really it's sexy fun for everyone.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Actually it's about ethics in ninja clans.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Christ this place can be more toxic than 4chan's /co/ board.

You're kidding right? Sexualization is an opinion, not a fact. Maybe you should consider hanging out on /co/ a bit more. Pretty sure you'd fit right in there.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bairfanx posted:

You're kidding right? Sexualization is an opinion, not a fact. Maybe you should consider hanging out on /co/ a bit more. Pretty sure you'd fit right in there.

it's almost like conforming to a gross stereotype of weird sex guy that we were making fun of before he even posted isn't the best way to make friends

hey friend, we all like sex and sexing, but "sex positive" and "titties everywhere always" aren't synonyms

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lencho posted:

I don't read Empowered but it is a fetish comic and doesn't pretend otherwise.

I can respect that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Unlike its readers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Unlike its readers.

I have never respected a comic book fan and have never been wrong.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Unlike its readers.

Well, to be fair, it's a fetish comic with well developed characters and fun enough writing. At least its not Tarot or any of the Zenescope poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chinaman7000 posted:

I was typing a long post that was gonna say this, but even then it's the rare outlier to "Superman is gonna feed all the starving children this Christmas. Don't ask about tomorrow though"

Edit: someone talk about Superman: Grounded. I never read it but it sounds like the physical manifestation of this.

Superman: Grounded is absolutely loving baffling. I know this is a couple of days late, and someone's probably already covered this, but I need to.

Superman: Grounded is a book about Superman walking across America to "reconnect with humanity". Alright, that's a decent enough premise, Superman's going to walk around and be a swell loving dude and help people and rescue cats from trees, I'm all about that.

Nope. It's Superman walking across America being a right-wing dickbag, trying to end the drug trade by going "Knock this poo poo off or I'll be back and I have laser eyes!" and meeting literal aliens who just want to live with us in secret and are trying to escape their lovely planet (which is totally not Mexico) and telling them off for "not contributing" and oh my loving lord how do you miss the point of Superman so hard?

Then at the end after JMS left in a huff it turns out that all of Superman's doubt and sadness have turned into a crystal that gave a lady powers and he blows it up with the power of hope. So that's alright.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I checked the latest video game community news and now I want to kill myself, what old comics should I read to cheer myself up? Conan, Marvel Two in One, or Tomb of Dracula?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

They are all pretty good but Tomb of Dracula is real good classic Gene Colan.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, I was meeting a friend for lunch today and decided to drive to get comics because of this. Had I taken the train instead, I wouldn't have thought I could haul home this obnoxious oversized Little Nemo hardcover collecting all of it ever. Merry Christmas to me.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bairfanx posted:

So, I was meeting a friend for lunch today and decided to drive to get comics because of this. Had I taken the train instead, I wouldn't have thought I could haul home this obnoxious oversized Little Nemo hardcover collecting all of it ever. Merry Christmas to me.

Oooooh, could you post some pictures of it please? I love little nemo, but the collections are prohibitively expensive here for me right now and want to live vicariously through you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

How much did the trailer you rented cost?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Vincent posted:

Oooooh, could you post some pictures of it please? I love little nemo, but the collections are prohibitively expensive here for me right now and want to live vicariously through you.

Yeah, I knew I would eventually break and buy the two huge ones, but as I was walking into the shop today, I saw a weird Nemo box in the window I hadn't seen before, and I asked them about it. I was kind of hoping it would've been two hardcovers, but now that I've opened it up and gone through it, it looks really impressively bound and is easy to read even at the thickest parts. Expensive, no doubt, but I have had an affection for the strip since i first played the absurdly difficult NES game when I was 6 or 7, and while I owned some older printings of the strips a few years ago, they wee about Marvel OSHC size and required a bit of squinting to read easily.

Every time I've tried to post images here, I just end up breaking tables, so I took some shots and threw them up on tumblr: http://bairfanx.tumblr.com/post/105656595483

Rhyno posted:

How much did the trailer you rented cost?

I honestly don't know if I would've decided it was a good idea to buy this gigantic loving book if I took the time to go back home and get my car, as I wouldn't really have wanted to lug it onto the train, but now that I have it, I'm glad. I'm actually tempted to haul it home with me to read on Christmas morning, because this just feels like the kind of thing you read on Christmas morning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bairfanx posted:

Every time I've tried to post images here, I just end up breaking tables, so I took some shots and threw them up on tumblr: http://bairfanx.tumblr.com/post/105656595483

I own that Calvin and Hobbes, I keep looking at it on my shelf, then back to your picture of it next to Nemo, then just shaking my head.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

I checked the latest video game community news and now I want to kill myself, what old comics should I read to cheer myself up? Conan, Marvel Two in One, or Tomb of Dracula?

Is Two-in-One the one starring the Thing? Because Bill Mantlo did an issue co-starring ROM that's amazing.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Skwirl posted:

I own that Calvin and Hobbes, I keep looking at it on my shelf, then back to your picture of it next to Nemo, then just shaking my head.

Holy poo poo that is loving ridiculous.

Speaking of unwieldy books, has anyone ever worked out a way of storing Building Stories that actually makes sense? Currently my copy's sitting at the bottom of a pile of board games because that's the only place it fits.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can respect that.
I like Empowered, but I've never really found it sexy. I categorize it as smut, but it's totally possible to like Empowered without ever being titillated by it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can respect that.

After reading any amount of Empowered, I can't help but see all the threads leading up to it in any old Adam Warren thing I reread now. It is the key that explains so much.

Those tendencies have always been there in his work, I was just generally too young to notice it before.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Last night I went to see the Usagi jimbo stage play and it was brilliant. They did some fantastic things with animated projections including Stan Sakai's little death bubble every time someone dies.
Its all about his training and growing up, with plenty of sword fights too, which despite the subject matter I figured they would skimp on.

If you're in on nearby London I implore you to give it a look before it finishes on Jan 4th and to take any kids you have with you,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like Empowered, but I've never really found it sexy. I categorize it as smut, but it's totally possible to like Empowered without ever being titillated by it.

You don't need to justify anything to me man.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't find it titilating either, but that's not really the point. Whenever someone posts a panel from it it just looks so gross and unappealing. It's like Greg Land if Greg Land actually knew how to draw.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Holy poo poo that is loving ridiculous.

Speaking of unwieldy books, has anyone ever worked out a way of storing Building Stories that actually makes sense? Currently my copy's sitting at the bottom of a pile of board games because that's the only place it fits.

So, I bought the Nemo collection impulsively, and because I like my shop and have some cash to spare, its $200 price tag wasn't that big of a deal. But if any of you are thinking about it, Amazon has it for ~$125 right now, and that makes it a loving steal. And if you're worried about Amazon's trademark hosed up absolutes and things, the actual book comes in a box (albeit a very nice box) with a handle and everything that will easily absorb any dings.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bairfanx posted:

So, I bought the Nemo collection impulsively, and because I like my shop and have some cash to spare, its $200 price tag wasn't that big of a deal. But if any of you are thinking about it, Amazon has it for ~$125 right now, and that makes it a loving steal. And if you're worried about Amazon's trademark hosed up absolutes and things, the actual book comes in a box (albeit a very nice box) with a handle and everything that will easily absorb any dings.

I'm going to the US in February, so that's tempting. I'd probably need an extra bag just for the book though.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Double post.

Oh, by the way, there's a Love and Rockets sale on Comixology, Maggie the Mechanic and Heartbreak Soup by the Hernandez bros. at 6.99 each.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's part of a larger Fantagraphix sale with a couple more Hernandezes and various female focused books. Get Megahex.
https://www.comixology.com/Fantagra...YWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 20, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bairfanx posted:

When I got mine they shipped it in an Amazon box which inside had the shipping box from Taschen.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

bairfanx posted:

What is the difference between this and the Splendid Sunday books? It looks like this one is a way better deal.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

sporklift posted:

What is the difference between this and the Splendid Sunday books? It looks like this one is a way better deal.

I haven't been able to hold the Splendid Sunday books in my hands for comparison, but I'm pretty sure they are bigger. I'm okay not having a complete full-size reproduction as long as I have one that's easily readable, which up until now meant that Splendid Sundays would've been a necessity despite their high cost and low scope. Basically, unless you need an exact 1:1 reproduction, the Taschen book should do the trick. It also comes with a supplemental book about the history of McCay and Little Nemo, though I wish it weren't the same dimensions, as it is a bit awkward to read a sheet of prose that huge even if it does have scattered pictures.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A fundraiser has been launched to help Norm Breyfogle after the stroke he suffered past week

CBR posted:

According to the campaign, launched by his brother Kevin Breyfogle and sister-in-law Wendy Wiegert, the 54-year-old Breyfogle has no health insurance and a savings eaten away by his hospital stay, yet requires months of care and physical therapy at a nursing home.

A day into the effort, it’s raised nearly $16,500 toward its $200,000 goal, which will be used to cover the $10,000-a-month costs of the nursing home (Wiegert and Kevin Breyfogle say that Medicaid is expected to begin covering those expenses after six months).

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/12/fundraiser-launches-to-help-norm-breyfogle-following-stroke/

He's one of my favorite artists :smith:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So I initially passed over the shield show but ive had a few drinks and watched a few episodes and its really good. The action, the humor, the references; all good! Ive heard the first season dips but recovers and two is a blast!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I just looked up the supervillian they made and its the same guys name. This show rules.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Getting very drunk is how I would suggest watching Agents of SHIELD too

Also it's Christmas, people should be watching Christmas superhero shoes :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4_5jngpLkY

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Waterhaul posted:

Getting very drunk is how I would suggest watching Agents of SHIELD too

Also it's Christmas, people should be watching Christmas superhero shoes :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4_5jngpLkY

Im not watching it now - Christmas shows with kids time, but I think it was ok? Im 5 or 6 episodes in I think, depending how long netflix kept playing after I fell asleep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just had an incredibly intense conversation with a customer that nearly became a full blown argument about whether Iron Fist and Shang Chi are the same character. Dude was adamant they were the same dude and would not budge despite me showing him current books featuring both characters. I got mildly agitated over it because as far as I could tel he was dead serious.

I feel kind of dirty now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But... one's a white dude, and the other's the son of (legally not) Fu Manchu?

• Locked thread