Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh yeah? Well Miss Bavinsky in homeroom said I was the bestest spiller she ever saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Is wrong! No, not everything has a real part to it, sorry but that's just not how it works. You can have your own opinions and beliefs but you can't have your own facts and reality.

And we are all in one reality. All those opinions and beliefs originate in people who are in this one reality we share. There is always a real part, even if it's miniscule.

Yes I have an ego. Yes I can be a hypocrite (I think that's a universal condition). Yes I can get tunnel vision. Yes I can be loving infuriatingly stubborn. But I'm always participating in these conversations honestly.

Who What Now posted:

Have you thought about allowing your son to choose his own beliefs when he comes to an age appropriate to do so?

When one stands out, people notice. There is a constant stream of people who want you believe what they believe, to think how they think, and to further the ends they want furthered. Some of them just offer another person to talk to, but some of them will offer you the world and anything you want in it. Some of them are fantastically dangerous.

You are conflating:
This is what your father choose to be.
with
This is what your father wants to compel you to be.

How well does trying compel me to be a particular thing instead of another thing work?

VitalSigns posted:

Oh yeah? Well Miss Bavinsky in homeroom said I was the bestest spiller she ever saw.

When I was in first grade, I figured out that the teacher did not check phonics worksheets and did not include them in grades. And I felt I did not need to do them because I could already read. So into the desk they went and off to play burger time on the atari ( in the class room) I went. Took her six months to notice.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 24, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

When one stands out, people notice. There is a constant stream of people who want you believe what they believe, to think how they think, and to further the ends they want furthered. Some of them just offer another person to talk to, but some of them will offer you the world and anything you want in it. Some of them are fantastically dangerous.

You are conflating:
with

How well does trying compel me to be a particular thing instead of another thing work?

Soooooo, you are worried that if you don't force your son into Christianity, he'll possibly become a Jihadist? Oh, and by making/suggesting he reads all those obviously heavily biased books, you are doing number 2.

Also, still can't get over this sentence:

BrandorKP posted:

My wife, all she wanted the God-mother to do was to make sure that our son experienced what it means to live in a community where grace is present.

I really have my doubts about you.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
Hey Kyrie did Jesus have problems with premature ejaculation?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Vaall posted:

Hey Kyrie did Jesus have problems with premature ejaculation?

i mean if it were really that simple the second coming should've only taken a few seconds

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

neonchameleon posted:

And his match to the prophecies is ... strained.

Good let's talk about this finally. I will try to write a post on the fulfillment of prophecy soon but I'm a bit busy today and tomorrow for obvious reasons.

J.A.B.C. posted:

As for 'Evangelion', they used a lot of Jewish imagery over Catholicism and a lot of Freud to justify their hosed-up kid heroes riding robots powered by their mom's souls that can make invincible barriers from their insecurities, cloned from Adam/Lillith/Whatever the gently caress that was.

It is named Evangelion and has tons of crosses everywhere. Also the classical music choices. But it's pomo as gently caress so whatever. I wouldn't call it a Christian work, but it does include lots of Christian symbolism. He saw Judeo-Christianity as a singular religious continuum and applied his own ideas to it. What did it have that was Jewish aside for Lilith and the Sephirot in the OP?

BrandorKP posted:

That's only the God-parent stuff. I'm sure he'll eventually find my modern physics and nuclear reactor engineering textbooks. I have no doubt he'll read everything in the house. If he's as bad as me (and I think he's going to be worse) he'll read the entire school non- fiction reference library.

What if the kid just really likes football

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bible Black is really good Christian Japanimation.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

And we are all in one reality. All those opinions and beliefs originate in people who are in this one reality we share. There is always a real part, even if it's miniscule.

No, there is not always a real part. I say this not because I can't consider other people's views, but because I know that it is possible to hold views and beliefs that do not reflect reality in any way. Look to people with abnormal brains and you'll see plenty of such beliefs, that do not reflect or are based on anything real. Their minds conjure things wholecloth that are not real in any sense of the word. These people and these beliefs are out there, but that does not make the statement "Seven was purple in the didgeridoo" based on anything real save that they use English words, but they don't always!

BrandorKP posted:

Yes I have an ego. Yes I can be a hypocrite (I think that's a universal condition). Yes I can get tunnel vision. Yes I can be loving infuriatingly stubborn. But I'm always participating in these conversations honestly.

Listen, I know that you honestly believe the things you say, there's no question about that. But you absolutely do not participate in these conversations honestly. Participating honestly means that you actually read what other people are writing, especially when they're writing to you specifically! Participating honestly means that you consider people's entire arguments and respond to as much of it as you can. Participating honestly means representing their statements as they were intended. And you don't do any of that! You aren't here to have a discussion, you're here to have an audience. You don't respond to people, you use their posts and find one random sentence that is tangentially related to what you want to talk about as a springboard for you to use. To you we aren't individuals to be talked to, we're props to be used when convenient and a captive audience to be lectured at.

That's where you're grossly dishonest. Not in what you say, but in how you deal with us. At the very least I'm honest in my mocking because I'm responding to the posters and not at them. But what's the point? You're just going to ignore everything I wrote, quote two lines, and then talk about something completely different than my point.

BrandorKP posted:

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

BrandorKP posted:

You are conflating:
with

When you demand he read a very specific set of books then you're choosing what you wanting him to be. You are vastly underestimating your influence on your child and that really worries me about your ability to be a good parent.

BrandorKP posted:

When I was in first grade, I figured out that the teacher did not check phonics worksheets and did not include them in grades. And I felt I did not need to do them because I could already read. So into the desk they went and off to play burger time on the atari ( in the class room) I went. Took her six months to notice.

Maybe had you done the worksheets instead of being a delinquent you could actually write semi-competently.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
BrandorKP can you regale us with your occupation, how much money you make and any assets you want to boast about? surely you are a nobel laureate as well

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Al Harrington posted:

BrandorKP can you regale us with your occupation, how much money you make and any assets you want to boast about? surely you are a nobel laureate as well

He CLAIMS to have Nuclear Reactor engineering books. This I gotta hear as a Physics students how god is going to guide his son in a 'graceful community' towards a path of enlightenment and scientific knowledge.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

That's only the God-parent stuff. I'm sure he'll eventually find my modern physics and nuclear reactor engineering textbooks. I have no doubt he'll read everything in the house. If he's as bad as me (and I think he's going to be worse) he'll read the entire school non- fiction reference library.

Well my little Timmy already does integral calculus in his crib.

For his 30th birthday next year we're getting him a real bed though, it's time.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

steinrokkan posted:

Bible Black is really good Christian Japanimation.

Yes all Christians should watch this fine piece of art holy moley

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Who would win a fight between Jesus, The Holy Ghost, God, The Holy Father, The Virgin Mary or the Sacred Lamb? Did I miss any members of the pantheon you freakin' pagans?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

nopantsjack posted:

Who would win a fight between Jesus, The Holy Ghost, God, The Holy Father, The Virgin Mary or the Sacred Lamb? Did I miss any members of the pantheon you freakin' pagans?

The Lamb is a title of Jesus, not a separate person

God is also not a separate person

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

nopantsjack posted:

Goku

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What if Silver Age Superman got in on this, he'd probably use his Super Anti Goku Farts and win

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Goku would beat the p*sschr*st out of that poser semi-god because he xan summon enwrgy from across the cosmos with the spirit bomb and jesus only gets power from a small fraction of earth's inhabitants. Sounds like a Fraud to me. What a garbageman. Fraud and Lies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nopantsjack posted:

All the Saints, who are kinda like Highlanders. When one dies their power is evenly distributed among the rest of them. Eventually the last surviving Saint will have power on par with any of the individuals of the Trinity. My money is on St. Joan of Arc being the one to inherit the power of all the saints and rise to true godhood and challenge Jesus for his position within the Trinity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

wheez the roux posted:

Goku would beat the p*sschr*st out of that poser semi-god because he xan summon enwrgy from across the cosmos with the spirit bomb and jesus only gets power from a small fraction of earth's inhabitants. Sounds like a Fraud to me. What a garbageman. Fraud and Lies.

Silver Age Superman is basically Moses with laser eyes and a bottomless rear end to pull new powers from.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Come to the warm embrace of Unitarianism at last, have you?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Literally The Worst posted:

Silver Age Superman is basically Moses with laser eyes and a bottomless rear end to pull new powers from.

A bottomless rear end was almost certainly a real power he used once.

"Quick, we must evacuate this building! Every, climb inside my bottomless rear end!"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What about dark phoenix Jean Grey? Dies, came back to life, didn't cry to papa like pussyass about the boo--boo.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Thanos and Darkseid are both more powerful than jesus. poo poo so is ras al gul

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Nessus posted:

Come to the warm embrace of Unitarianism at last, have you?

Believers in one god, maximum.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

Wait but which one of them is Jesus' Dad? The father i guess, so before then was it a holy duo rather than a holy trinity?

Oh and to answer my own question, obvs the holy ghost would win since he is incorporeal and cannot be harmed by mundane weapons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Disinterested posted:

Believers in one god, maximum.
I actually annoyed a nun in a Catholic philosophy course I took during a year at a Catholic school by constantly being a unitarian (as opposed to a Unitarian Universalist).

Like she'd be talking about how gosh, some people just couldn't get the idea of the trinity, even when you used St. Patrick's example of the shamrock, and I was like 'is that because they see the underlying unity of God, sister?'

She was great, though, the subject matter was just what it was.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nopantsjack posted:

Wait but which one of them is Jesus' Dad? The father i guess, so before then was it a holy duo rather than a holy trinity?

Oh and to answer my own question, obvs the holy ghost would win since he is incorporeal and cannot be harmed by mundane weapons.

Magical Outsiders' attacks all count as magic, giving them a 50% chance to hit incorporeal creatures, and the Holy Ghost has very low HP.
:goonsay:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Who What Now posted:

My money is on St. Joan of Arc being the one to inherit the power of all the saints and rise to true godhood and challenge Jesus for his position within the Trinity.

Oh you played Jeanne d'Arc for the PSP too!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh you played Jeanne d'Arc for the PSP too!

Hell yeah I did. Getting another full turn after every kill? gently caress, I hauled rear end across the maps leaving nothing but corpses and orphans in my wake.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Marriage thread up. Sorry for the delay, I got some nasty food poisoning yesterday and I needed to call 911 because I was too nauseous to move.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Link it, dork.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

nopantsjack posted:

No, the Son has existed forever just like the Father. geez.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

A bottomless rear end was almost certainly a real power he used once.

"Quick, we must evacuate this building! Every, climb inside my bottomless rear end!"

Superman being laser eye Moses is my favorite thing in comics next to the Fourth World stuff featuring a dude who looks like Moses reading burning letters in the sky

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

how in the gently caress

the chicken and the egg existed simultaneously, obvs

i know you're a troll cause you're going to hell with all of us in this thread, but isnt it funny how nonsensical all this stuff is? Its kinda like arguing the end of harry potter where its like "well by those rules the Elder Wand is draco's not harrys" and Rowling is like "SHUT THE gently caress UP!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

how in the gently caress

the chicken and the egg existed simultaneously, obvs

i know you're a troll cause you're going to hell with all of us in this thread, but isnt it funny how nonsensical all this stuff is?

Well this is the Orthodox Trinitarian position, even if it seems indistinguishable from trolling

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Kyrie still hasn't replied to my request for anime. I want to know what he considers deep.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Well this is the Orthodox Trinitarian position, even if it seems indistinguishable from trolling
Right, this is the thing that confuses me. A Son suggests creation, which means God created Jesus, which I mean, that's fine, but now you're also saying Jesus is eternal and always existed. So He would be more like God's twin brother. Or, he'd be a subsidiary emanation, but apparently that isn't the case. Of course, you could also say that Jesus's existence was fore-known to God, and while this does raise the nagging question of 'so how come he went through all this loving drama just so he could fulfill his own suicide pact with himself', we can file that under Mysterious Ways, and say therefore that Jesus was always GOING to exist, and is therefore eternal, but did not undertake actions of any kind until his birth in Bethlehem.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Kyrie eleison posted:

Explain please goon sir

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

da*n, borated by the town of buffalo, tx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CowOnCrack posted:

Marriage thread up. Sorry for the delay, I got some nasty food poisoning yesterday and I needed to call 911 because I was too nauseous to move.

Christ you're a baby.

"Hello, 911? I have a boo-boo in my tum-tum because I had a green pepper and it was much too spicy for me!"

• Locked thread