Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

blk posted:

E30 classifieds have got to be the most depressing car listings in the country. Unless you're looking for an automatic convertible, I guess you're better off importing one these days.

On the flip side, people who are fans of chrome bumper 325e convertible automatics have their pick of the litter. I'm not looking forward to the day when people realize the E36 is a better car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

revmoo posted:

E36 is a better car.

In most aspects yes, but I prefer the styling and interior of the E30. I look at them because I'm kind of interested in a more comfortable, civilized, fixed roof sibling to the Miata.

I do really like the styling of the E36 M3, though. It's probably E36 M3 > regular E30 > regular E36 for me there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fortunately, the E36 body is the same across the board so you can easily turn a 325i into an M3 for fairly cheap.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So it turns out shipping overnight from Pelican is just as economical and fast as trying to get an intake manifold gaskets through CarQuest or other auto parts supplier and not the dealership. I figured I would grab a couple other miscellaneous bits I was eventually wanting/needing too. It is crazy that the price for the gaskets is so cheap from Pelican ($14.50) and overnight shipping is $18.00.

I guess this post is just to say there is a reason everyone says to use Pelican.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
if you are in NCAL, they have a parts warehouse or something in the SF area and your stuff will be at your place the next day even with std shipping.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Pelican is the bomb. On the flip side, never buy from FCP Euro. They will gently caress you with a crowbar.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Pelican is the bomb. On the flip side, never buy from FCP Euro. They will gently caress you with a crowbar.

What did they do wrong? I've used them 4 or 5 times recently and they've been great.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

Brock Landers posted:

What did they do wrong? I've used them 4 or 5 times recently and they've been great.

They shipped me an incomplete Valeo solid flywheel/clutch kit (no clutch or bolts in the box). I called them once I got it and explained that I was already short on time for being able to fix my car and they said they'd get me a new one overnight. Then the weekend goes by and I don't receive anything, or even a call. So I call, and the guy on the phone is like "uhh oh yeah we don't have any complete kits, sorry." At that point I had two days to get everything I needed because I was moving and would really only have access to a shop with a lift for those two days. And so then I end up with the OEM poo poo (which cost a lot more, and I had to overnight it for even more money), and they took forever to refund me for their gently caress up, and I never received so much as an apology. So gently caress THEM.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

blk posted:

E30 classifieds have got to be the most depressing car listings in the country. Unless you're looking for an automatic convertible, I guess you're better off importing one these days.

Or a cheaply lowered and abused manual with neon green wheels. Ugh.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
my plan at this point is to buy a nicer automatic and just do the M50 swap

or just buy an E28 or E34 at this point because they're way loving cheaper

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buy an E39.

one of us. one of us. one of us.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I want an e34 touring really bad. But they seem to be unicorns, even in automatic trans.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Strictly still hasn't pulled my pan. Was really looking forward to finishing up and getting the car on the ground today, open headers till I can get flanges welded on. :getin:

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

PaintVagrant posted:

I want an e34 touring really bad. But they seem to be unicorns, even in automatic trans.

One of these parks at my work. 5 speed too. I asked him if he wanted to sell it when I was an on E34 hunt... he didn't. :(

Such a loving gorgeous wagon though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Shogunner posted:

One of these parks at my work. 5 speed too. I asked him if he wanted to sell it when I was an on E34 hunt... he didn't. :(

Such a loving gorgeous wagon though.

The manuals go for bananas prices, sadly. Although I assume the e34 is "primitive" enough that an easy trans swap probably isnt out of the question.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I'm looking at a '99 e39 540i auto with 180k miles for dirt cheap. Are there any major things I should look for beyond the normal used car stuff?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 210 days!)

CornHolio posted:

I got my E39's ABS module back on Saturday from Autoxpresstech. Installed it, works great. For $80 it's a pretty good deal.

I came here to follow up on this and found my answer a few pages back.

Kind of funny that they did that. I might just be one dork at a kitchen table- but really- having the customers having eachothers' contact info? Kinda hinky.

Still, they've been the cheapest and fastest I've dealt with- in that order.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

doogle posted:

I'm looking at a '99 e39 540i auto with 180k miles for dirt cheap. Are there any major things I should look for beyond the normal used car stuff?

Service records
Last time the cooling system was completely refreshed
check for oil peanut butter (M62 is pretty resistant to overheating but its a BMW...)
CEL
ABS/BRAKE/DSC lights on (can indicate ABS module issues)
front and rear suspension slop, as this car is basically built of bushings.
timing chain rattle. Can indicate broken guides which is a big bitch of a repair.
clunk when accelerating (guibo or engine/trans mounts)
leaking a shitload of oil from various gaskets

Bear in mind some of this stuff will be a problem on a cheap car, but the big ones you want to avoid are a car thats obviously been overheated (head gasket) or has that timing chain guide issue. Most of that other poo poo is parts you would probably be throwing at the car in the first 6 months of ownership anyways.

edit: that 99 will have VANOS as well, which probably makes some weird noises when the seals go bad. I am not super familiar with it but I am sure someone here has more info.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

FCP euro.... So gently caress THEM.

I've been using these guys for the past 10 years and they have been great.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can see the timing chain on the M62 through the oil cap, bring a flashlight and look for odd wear. if the engine is cold when you get there, you might hear a little chain slap on start-up, that should just be the tensioner which is fairly easy and cheap to replace. if it doesn't go away the chain guides are probably gone.
Hold it at 50mph for a bit and check for a shimmy. that would indicate the lower control arm bushings are gone.
It's winter right now, but if you can, check the A/C, more importantly check that the electric aux fan behind the grille kicks on when you turn the A/C on. No AUX fan means no A/C, and it's a $250 part which requires the whole front end to come off.

the M62 is only single vanos, which doesn't seem to be as problematic.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Does anyone have the H&R Touring Cup Kit with sport springs? I'm about to do my first suspension refresh but want my car to be a tad lower than sport suspension level.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The M62 vanos only seems to crop up on poorly maintained cars. My guess is just lack of regular oil changes. But timing chain noise is a big one.

M62s make a poo poo load of noise when you first start them up, but then should quiet down with in a couple of seconds. But once they should settle down into a nice quiet idle with in a few seconds.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

PaintVagrant posted:

The manuals go for bananas prices, sadly.

Probably because they never existed here. Any manual e34 touring in NA is either a swap or an import.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shop winter beater is done:

I've always felt a car should have a sense of humor

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Data Graham posted:

It won't be hard to see during a snow storm, that's for sure.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brock Landers posted:

It won't be hard to see during a snow storm, that's for sure.

it'll still get hit by some rear end in a top hat who "didn't see it"

Is that plastidip or a wrap or what?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Data Graham posted:

I actually think that color combination looks unironically dope.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yep, plastidip. It's logo colors :v:

Also did the carbon interior, Z4 M shifter, M nose, various other bits. It'll be a downright pleasant winter.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Shogunner posted:

Does anyone have the H&R Touring Cup Kit with sport springs? I'm about to do my first suspension refresh but want my car to be a tad lower than sport suspension level.

If you drive an e46, it's roughly a 1.5" drop in front and a 0.75" drop in back if I remember correctly. I'd look at Koni FSDs though if you're doing a refresh. Everyone I know raves about them and I'm planning on going with them when I do my refresh come spring. (Along with a set of OEM sport springs)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The combo of Koni Sport adjustables/H&R sport springs/powerflex control arm bushings/Hotchkiss sways/end links/tower reinforcement plates/drat I can't remember what else.. were loving perfect on my E46. Not as harsh as the awful Bilstein sports I ran with for several years. I could pretty much outcorner anything.

Just over a year ago I sold it after 9+ years. :smith:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Holy poo poo, I don't think I've ever done so much to a beater... Including the two new rear tires I think I've just eclipsed $1k in parts.

A stripped pcv cover bolt resulted in having to pull the whole intake. I was not expecting this so I could not do the valley pan stuff as I'm about to put 800 miles on it in the next few days. At least there's no coolant visible (yet...).

On the plus side, it runs amazing.
New intake manifold gaskets, new pcv, new throttle body gaskets, and all new OEM vacuum lines (including the booster one).
Lights them up in first way too easy now. No longer feels like it has the 40lb flywheel, way peppier and so much more responsive.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BMW: Money in, coolant out

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
Oh looky, it's a picture of what I'll be doing this weekend. loving valley pan gasket.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Just installed an Aux in on my z4 07 plate business cd player. I'm getting no low end coming out in Aux mode... Anyone know what's up? CD and FM both get the subs going still (10 speaker system) but there's no bass from the Aux. Tried different 3.5mm cables and different input devices.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

willie_dee posted:

Just installed an Aux in on my z4 07 plate business cd player. I'm getting no low end coming out in Aux mode... Anyone know what's up? CD and FM both get the subs going still (10 speaker system) but there's no bass from the Aux. Tried different 3.5mm cables and different input devices.

Where do/did you attach the inputs? Is there a schematic available? What are you attaching to- and do you have the line/aux-in at a reasonable volume that it isn't automagically cutting it down to keep from killing itself with mad SONY XPLODE style bass?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Viggen posted:

Where do/did you attach the inputs? Is there a schematic available? What are you attaching to- and do you have the line/aux-in at a reasonable volume that it isn't automagically cutting it down to keep from killing itself with mad SONY XPLODE style bass?

I will take photos tomorrow of what I've done where and post them up. It was one cable into the back of the CD player unit.

This is where I was told to plug it in and aux does come up on the CD business player and I can listen to stuff but the bass and most of the low end is completely cut out.

http://s209.photobucket.com/user/flickyblade/media/BMW%20AUDIO/C7743B07-A1FA-4D4C-846B-D952FF2DB3C1-1993-0000018774B31B6D.jpg.html

"Once the unit is removed plug our cable in with 2 wires going to top row and you should gain aux"

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

willie_dee posted:

"Once the unit is removed plug our cable in with 2 wires going to top row and you should gain aux"

So.. its just a cable plug. Not a solder-to-board mod. How many audio sources have you tried?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Viggen posted:

So.. its just a cable plug. Not a solder-to-board mod. How many audio sources have you tried?

2. Both play bass and quality equal to CV'S via headphones and my home stereo

The FM and cd player mode both output fine.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

willie_dee posted:

2. Both play bass and quality equal to CV'S via headphones and my home stereo

The FM and cd player mode both output fine.

Then I'd check to see if your input for-some-reason completely bypasses the decoder and/or amp with that setup for an input. If that has already been checked, I'm fresh out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
BMW sent me a design sketch of my old car :smith:

I wonder if I could get an M6 drivetrain swapped into an E30 M3 shell for the amount I spent on the Viper.