Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Peztopiary posted:

Winco is really good for what they are. Excellent produce, and a fair variety for the areas they're in. The beer selection is pretty reasonable as well. Everyone I know who works there seems to actually enjoy it, unlike the poor fuckers at Walmart.

Winco (nee Waremart) does have consistently the best prices in general. Unfortunately, here in the Eugene area, they are not exactly convenient to get to. For upscale, we also have Market of Choice (nee Price Chopper), which is where I actually tend to go most often because it is within walking distance. Over the years I've gotten in the habit of going to multiple grocery stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, and Fred Meyer, because they all tend to have some loss leaders and if you hit all the major stores you can get the cheapest from each.

Also, it seems to me that Fred Meyer has much more reasonable prices than they used to. I remember avoiding them for groceries in the past, but it seems like it has improved in the last decade or so. It's also nice having such a catch-all of a store available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Ardennes posted:

Winco is also employee owned, which is not something I expected from a large grocery store chain. Employees gain shares that act effectively as a pension fund after they are with the company a year.

Also their prices are real cheap, their selection is pretty good and people seem to be in generally an okay mood there.

Ive known several people who have worked for Winco for long periods of time, some since they were in high school. They all love the place and the ones who've left the company definitely miss it. Now that the store in Corvallis takes debit cards I end up shopping there for just about everything except specialty items (cheese/meat mostly.)

Wincowns.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
The best part about Winco is that they don't have those utterly depressing greeters, as far as I know.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The funniest part of this constitutional convention derail is the far more interesting chat going on around it... about grocers.

Anyone flabbergasted that the deal went this way? In my eyes Albertsons was always on the way out while Safeway seemed to be excelling.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

I remember the Albertsons on 82nd and Division as a kid, and that I was sad when they went out of business (even though we almost never shopped there).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The funniest part of this constitutional convention derail is the far more interesting chat going on around it... about grocers.

Anyone flabbergasted that the deal went this way? In my eyes Albertsons was always on the way out while Safeway seemed to be excelling.

I'm honestly really surprised Albertsons is still a thing. I think I mistook a few of their locations going out of business for the entire company folding. It was only when I got some ads in the mail recently that I realized they were still operating.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I've tended to shop at Albertsons over Safeway. The Safeway nearest to me seems to be a little more expensive and definitely more crowded, primarily by college students. Lines are long and slow, never enough checkers. I also don't care much for Winco, though I have purchased dry goods there before, much the same situation, lines are way too long, and slow and the times that I have bought fresh produce there, specifically meat & vegetables they've gone bad way too quickly. Specifically the deli sliced lunch meat had turned in 3 days and had a sour smell when I went to use it. No thanks! :shrug:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Nah, that's totally legit. I really like Rosauers for deli stuff, they've got a good selection of cheeses. They've got this ghost-pepper cheddar stuff that is just amazing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vavrek posted:

I'm honestly really surprised Albertsons is still a thing. I think I mistook a few of their locations going out of business for the entire company folding. It was only when I got some ads in the mail recently that I realized they were still operating.

Albertsons overextended itself around 2000 or so and collapsed in on itself, but they got bought out/sold parts of themselves to other companies and they've been doing better.

They used to have one where I was in Texas for a while which closed, which was sad because it was nearer to my house but good because their prices were always 10-15% higher.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It may have seemed busier and stuff in safeway but they've been mismanaged the last few years and are losing money.

Albertsons was bought by supervalu around 2000, then they almost ran it to the ground, so the old execs got money from cerberus to buy it back a couple years ago.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I shop at Winco because it's the cheapest, but if I could afford it I'd definitely buy fresh meat and certain deli items elsewhere. Winco's beef tastes a bit lackluster compared to Safeway's, and they don't have like a real deli either, just a selection of "whatever we feel like throwing together" salads, pastas, and sandwiches that the employees all buy up during their lunch break.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Only in the PNW. A hipster sippy cup:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Only in the PNW. A hipster sippy cup:

Is the whole Mason jar faux-chic thing really a PNW thing, or is it nationwide? I assumed it was national, like the inane red party cup thing. That's not specific to the PNW, is it?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is the whole Mason jar faux-chic thing really a PNW thing, or is it nationwide? I assumed it was national, like the inane red party cup thing. That's not specific to the PNW, is it?

Yeah it's a nation wide thing.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
My brother and I used to drink out of some old root beer mason jars but that was because it would fit a can of soda with some ice perfectly. I'm sure my parents would've bought those simply for the fact we were clumsy rear end kids and spilled stuff frequently.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah it's a nation wide thing.
I remember those in the 90s too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've never liked Albertsons, I think it boiled down to the lighting in the store itself though which is a silly reason, but I bet some psychologist can go into some really crazy poo poo about the best lighting for a supermarket. I always felt like Safeway had better, more relaxing lighting while Albertsons was like SPOTLIGHTS IN YOUR loving FACE HURRY THE gently caress UP AND SHOP. I dunno, I like Ralph's Thriftway, but its one of the most expensive grocery stores in the world so I shop at Safeway instead. Also the Albertsons deli near me is the slowest deli I have ever been at.

I have a rule about never buying meat at Winco because it always looks gross.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
All the Albertsons near me are just gross. They remind me of the Renton Walmart. Dirty floors, sad employees, bad lightning and poorly stocked shelves. Trader Joes and safe way and farmers market are my jams.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reason posted:

I have a rule about never buying meat at Winco because it always looks gross.

We just bought some gyro meat that looked good, but we haven't messed with it yet.

Also we got some beef jerky for really cheap and it is amazing. :yum:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There are billboards for Winco all over Seattle. Is there one opening up soon in the area?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Thought ya'll might be interested in the ST long range plan update.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Projects-and-Plans/Long-range-Plan-update/Location---LRPU

Anything that is a solid line is something already in the works and funded. Dotted lines are items that will probably be asked for in the ST3 funding. If anyone wonders how this map was made - basically there have been surveys going out every year or so to ask what corridors were most important to individuals. There's obviously also play from local cities and govs. If a city will support transit oriented development it probably has a better chance of getting a route of some sort through it.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 29, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bucket Joneses posted:

There are billboards for Winco all over Seattle. Is there one opening up soon in the area?

Take a day trip to scenic Kent!

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

SedanChair posted:

Take a day trip to scenic Kent!

Go ahead and yuk it up, but the Stranger just posted a glittering listicle about Kent's food scene: https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/kent-is-filled-with-delicious-things-from-all-over-the-world/Content?oid=21188351

Of course, they also had a glowing article about digital art at UW and Microsoft Research, so I wonder if their editorial direction has changed after the recent shakeups.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Kent does have some awesome food. Anything you want there is some sketchy looking place run by people who may or may not speak English.

I'm 90% sure I saw sir mix-a-lot picking up takeout greek food at ishtar last week.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

oxbrain posted:

I'm 90% sure I saw sir mix-a-lot picking up takeout greek food at ishtar last week.

Well , falafel would be a "round thing in his face", wouldn't it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No seriously take a day trip to scenic Kent. Bike the trail and go antiquing, then load up at Asian markets and Winco.

e: plus Nazes Fish and Chips is in Kent, holy poo poo

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The chinese noodle house in the great wall shopping mall does the best fried chicken I've ever had. They also do roast duck every day, which is awesome.

And you can get a century egg at 99 ranch. :barf:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Tigntink posted:

Thought ya'll might be interested in the ST long range plan update.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Projects-and-Plans/Long-range-Plan-update/Location---LRPU

Anything that is a solid line is something already in the works and funded. Dotted lines are items that will probably be asked for in the ST3 funding. If anyone wonders how this map was made - basically there have been surveys going out every year or so to ask what corridors were most important to individuals. There's obviously also play from local cities and govs. If a city will support transit oriented development it probably has a better chance of getting a route of some sort through it.

It would be a shame if the Boeing plant got all those transit connections, only to shut down and relocate to SC.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Hedera Helix posted:

It would be a shame if the Boeing plant got all those transit connections, only to shut down and relocate to SC.

My brother works at Boeing and says that the whole union is excited that the CEO is about to reach mandatory retirement age and will leave. Next guy in line is supposed to be more 'union friendly'.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Kent does have some awesome food. Anything you want there is some sketchy looking place run by people who may or may not speak English.

You likely did, I helped him out at Sam's Club once. Surreal experience.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You likely did, I helped him out at Sam's Club once. Surreal experience.
Sir Mix-a-lot and Smash Mouth played at separate events hosted by my employer. I wouldn't describe either experience as comfortable.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Hedera Helix posted:

Yeah, that's not loving happening.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hedera Helix posted:

derrrpp

Mrit posted:

My brother works at Boeing and says that the whole union is excited that the CEO is about to reach mandatory retirement age and will leave. Next guy in line is supposed to be more 'union friendly'.

He's already requested an exemption from that clause, as of 2013. They're not going to put a "union friendly" CEO in when they're so close to finally breaking both main unions.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

http://www.king5.com/story/money/2014/12/31/15-hour-minimum-wage-seatac/21097523/

The end times are upon us. All hotels in SeaTac have shut down and fired their staff.

Or it had no measurable impact aside from making the lives of 1500+ people little easier.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

oxbrain posted:

http://www.king5.com/story/money/2014/12/31/15-hour-minimum-wage-seatac/21097523/

The end times are upon us. All hotels in SeaTac have shut down and fired their staff.

Or it had no measurable impact aside from making the lives of 1500+ people little easier.

Gotta love the quote that basically says "well, the only reason not everyone was fired was because they are losing other benefits!"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mrit posted:

Gotta love the quote that basically says "well, the only reason not everyone was fired was because they are losing other benefits!"

Yeah, and the best part of that is it's from the Washington Policy Center. Hey, that sounds like some sort of public-interest research group, right? Certainly couldn't be a bunch of right-wing shills, right? Because King 5 definitely would have mentioned if they were, right?

Washington Policy Center (WPC) is an independent, non-profit, think tank that promotes sound public policy based on free-market solutions.

...or not.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
One of the dumber local measures to get recently passed in Portland is the Arts Tax; a $35 flat tax on city residents that will, allegedly, be used to pay for arts education in public schools, even though the money being raised will be distributed to Portland-area schools regardless of their need, including one public elementary school that charges tuition -- in one of the richest school districts IN THE loving COUNTRY. After the vote passed, the city was still trying to figure out who to tax, the city was sued twice, and it wasn't going to be as helpful as they thought. Now, moms with kids at two charter schools in Portland are upset that they won't see any money from the arts tax.

First of all, charter schools never should've gotten anything from the arts tax in the first place. There are other schools that are way more in need of that money.

Second, about half of that money is going to the Regional Arts & Culture Council, and while they're probably a good non-profit, it makes very little loving sense to directly siphon tax dollars to a non-private entity.

Third, how loving poorly was this law written? A flat tax is incredibly dumb and is not a good way to raise money. Then they found out that they didn't actually restrict by income level, so they had to fix that. Then they actually paid those two charter schools last year, but discovered their lil oopsie, and apparently those schools were supposed to be included?

Like, I'm not upset that a libertarian blowhard like Jack Bogdanski lost his lawsuit, and I even voted for it because Oregon has some lovely loving public schools, but god loving damnit what a poo poo law.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

He's already requested an exemption from that clause, as of 2013. They're not going to put a "union friendly" CEO in when they're so close to finally breaking both main unions.

Dennis Muilenburg for all intents and purposes is being groomed for the next CEO. He's known as being a cost-cutter, and "fiercely competitive" which in all honestly scares me. He did start off as an engineer in the Seattle area, so hopefully he's reminded of that.

Hedera Helix posted:

Boeing is dropping billions into the Everett plant to build a composite wing manufacturing area. They wouldn't be doing that if they were expected to leave in the short term. South Carolina also doesn't have an experience workforce and consistently struggles to build at the rate they should. Besides that, if Boeing were to leave, that area would be snatched up relatively quickly by a company and converted into their own factory, and they would have an experienced workforce to pull from too.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Dennis Muilenburg for all intents and purposes is being groomed for the next CEO. He's known as being a cost-cutter, and "fiercely competitive" which in all honestly scares me. He did start off as an engineer in the Seattle area, so hopefully he's reminded of that.

The thing is that Boeing's aggressive attacks on the union have only lost the company money. Like its 'let build the Dreamliner all over the world for the lowest bidder... hey, why do none of these pieces fit?' cost much more than just letting the drat union build it in the first place. Employee morale is rock bottom, and the South Carolina guys are putting out planes that makes me scared to ever fly again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Cascadia would be good if it wouldnt be full of gun hating retards

• Locked thread