Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but imagine how awesome it would look.

i mean, look how awesome those tires make a schoolbus look

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
That is a pretty boss short bus, I gotta say.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I want to go to cool school

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why the gently caress would you build that, and not put zoomies on it?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
http://youtu.be/LyV0sWEJXP4

Add this to poo poo I won't loving be doing.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/LyV0sWEJXP4

Add this to poo poo I won't loving be doing.
I predict primary uses of those tablets will be many, many cock pics and videos of lot lizards.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

nmfree posted:

I predict primary uses of those tablets will be many, many cock pics and videos of lot lizards.

I HAVE A ISSUE!

Is it a blow out, or is that a hairy anus?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

InterceptorV8 posted:

I HAVE A ISSUE!

Is it a blow out, or is that a hairy anus?
In the case of goatse, both.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

nmfree posted:

In the case of goatse, both.

Also, :nws: Cheryl Merkowski :nws:.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
Soon to be CDL grad.

Looking to do regional so I can be home on the weekends. Tons of companies to choose from. Out of the bigger companies, are they all pretty much the same poo poo? I'm leaning towards Werner

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Soon to be CDL grad.

Looking to do regional so I can be home on the weekends. Tons of companies to choose from. Out of the bigger companies, are they all pretty much the same poo poo? I'm leaning towards Werner

What region are you looking at? You might be able to find a smaller carrier that will be less poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Watch out, quite a few megacarriers are moving to all automatic fleets, which will make you completely undesirable to other outfits.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
xpost from schadenfreude thread

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

`Nemesis posted:

xpost from schadenfreude thread

Same yard? :P

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Soon to be CDL grad.

Like TWISTED said, what region, and are you doing mostly work with one customer like Walmart? I drover Werner but I drove team so we went all over the country but mostly carried Con-way stuff and then Walmart stuff to get us to the Con-way stuff.

Werner is... ok. They have problems with lovely equipment. If you are ever moved to a used truck, LOOK THROUGH THE OUTBOUND QUALCOMM MESSAGES, you will find the problem you are looking for because the previous driver got fed up with that truck after complaning for a few weeks. My dad and I didn't have that problem, we took it straight to the appropriate dealer and said fix that poo poo.

And the trailer situation is a horror show. But that holds for all OTR fleets compared to

Thing is, the bigger companies are pretty much all the same poo poo. There are good regional and bad regional runs, and most of that deals with what the planner has set up and if the shippers are on the same time table (they aren't). It's all about one hand not knowing that the other hand is doing.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Watch out, quite a few megacarriers are moving to all automatic fleets, which will make you completely undesirable to other outfits.
It will take them some time to get rid of the 10 speed fleet, especially the lemons that they can't sell with under 300k but take 6 years to get there.

And I drive a flappy paddle auto in my small fleet and it's the bees knees.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Totally TWISTED posted:

What region are you looking at? You might be able to find a smaller carrier that will be less poo poo.

San Antonio

a Wener recruiter came and talked about dedicate regional for doller general.

AllPraiseToAllah fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 26, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

And I drive a flappy paddle auto in my small fleet and it's the bees knees.

They're doing flappy paddles now? Interesting. Is it a proper auto or an autoshift? And if the latter is it Eaton or a Meritor ZF (or Volvo)?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My brother drives a tri-drive auto 18 speed (auto shift) and it runs on natural gas. He hauls nitrogen for frac operations.

Says the new 18 speeds are perfect. No downsides. And he's in mud up to the bumper being pulled by dozers.

He also loves that he's never more than a 1/2 tank of fuel from home because where are you going to refuel ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 26, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tommychu posted:

They're doing flappy paddles now? Interesting. Is it a proper auto or an autoshift? And if the latter is it Eaton or a Meritor ZF (or Volvo)?
Detroit D12 automated manual but when in manual mode it acts like a flappy paddle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbXFMwtuxyY

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

San Antonio

Dollar General is going to mean lots of backing up to stores in the middle of fuckall, but if you are regional out of San Antonio you're not going to go much farther than a day away from home. If you have to do any unloading you get bonus pay. gently caress it, go for it. If it works for you, good, if not, move on.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

San Antonio

Isn't that driver unload account?

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

InterceptorV8 posted:

Isn't that driver unload account?

Hell yeah. I want to. Why do truckers shudder in fear at the though of having to do a little manual labor?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Hell yeah. I want to. Why do truckers shudder in fear at the though of having to do a little manual labor?

Probably because anything found broken is thrown back on you.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Because the companies also have this fear of paying me to toss poo poo around I guess?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

I probably wouldn't want to drive for 10 hours, unload for 2 hours, and then drive 10 more hours but that's just me.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

I probably wouldn't want to drive for 10 hours, unload for 2 hours, and then drive 10 more hours but that's just me.

It's more than that, you get underpaid for most of your unloading time. Would you want to take a 55% to 65% paycut? AND lose out on drive time? Maybe if it's a daily return home account or something that makes up for it. My final straw was a 8 pallet load of paper plates, I paid out $245 for a lumper service to pull them. Next load was a '53 foot trailer of mattresses.

They (the company) wanted to pay me $50 to unload the whole thing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

It's more than that, you get underpaid for most of your unloading time. Would you want to take a 55% to 65% paycut? AND lose out on drive time? Maybe if it's a daily return home account or something that makes up for it. My final straw was a 8 pallet load of paper plates, I paid out $245 for a lumper service to pull them. Next load was a '53 foot trailer of mattresses.

They (the company) wanted to pay me $50 to unload the whole thing.

Interesting that does sound like poo poo. I mainly deal with flatbed freight so driver unload isn't a thing at all.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
That's probably the single greatest thing I like about doing container work over the fridge van work I've done in the past where I had to manually pallet jack it all either on or off once every trip

No matter what's in the box, it only takes 2 minutes to lift up 22 tonne and plop it on the trailer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Some places use "driver unload" to just mean they want you to pay them to do it. Then you get to have fun with comchex and reimbursement.

One place in SLC has forklifts, but only their employees can use them. You or your company doesn't want to pay them to lump? Here's a pallet jack. All the big chain stores I ever dealt with took care of their own poo poo, though.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
I was a lumper at a supermarket DC for a few months. We weren't allowed to use any of the electric jacks they had, we could only use these old lovely pump jacks that could barely clear the dock plate. If you had a load that was all chep pallets, you were hosed. In order to unload those we had to put wood on the forks just to get the extra clearance. Every week we would get a liquor load and the driver would bring his own (rider) jack. He was nice enough to let us borrow it for heavier loads, like C&H sugar or double stacked bundles of firewood.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The Werner Dollar General account doesn't use pallets, they use these big rolling cabinet things and a lift gate sometimes. I've pulled the empty trailers around sometimes to go to a DG distro and pull away a trailer full of pallets. The DG account has a whole different pay system. I can't vouch for the pay system, but I can say the E-LOG system is now done minute to minute instead of in 15 minute chunks.

Just be sure to ask about short hauls. When I worked there I could do a 30 minute run from one place in Indianapolis to another and get paid 0 miles because they were using HHMG miles which means if the start and end had the same name for the city, it counts as zero. In San Antonio and possibly Houston (I could see them sending you over there for a day or two) that means a 40 mile 2 hour drive in the same city for no miles. You are looking at a retail run with lots of stops so there might not be a lot of miles in between but there's plenty of time and a whole lot of time trying to back into a store not exactly built for a 53' trailer with a condo tractor.

Javid posted:

Some places use "driver unload" to just mean they want you to pay them to do it. Then you get to have fun with comchex and reimbursement.

One place in SLC has forklifts, but only their employees can use them. You or your company doesn't want to pay them to lump? Here's a pallet jack. All the big chain stores I ever dealt with took care of their own poo poo, though.
Oh man, dealing with lumpers. On my last week with Werner, we took a load of gently caress I don't care but it was all proper pallet freight. The lumpers would not let us use the walk-behind crown power jacks, so we lumped that poo poo with a pallet jack because getting lumper money out of companies is like pulling your own teeth.

One time in Jersey we had to hire a lumper because we were not allowed on the dock because union bullshit, and they only took cash and rivaled molasses in their pace. CRST refunded the bill (because they pay nothing up front but are cool with refunds also only get the truck washed every other month) but that is my most egregious lumper story. 4 hours to empty a trailer I could empty faster with a pallet jack. And I've actually been certified for forklift work but that was with Roadway 15 years ago.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

poo poo that's a little better than floor stack with broken rollers.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

poo poo that's a little better than floor stack with broken rollers.
It's not that bad, and it's a major account for Werner so the dispatch and planners might even know what's going on.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This whole thing sounds crazy to me. We always load and unload trucks we get deliveries on or ship out on. We couldn't afford to have them tie up our docks unloading with a pallet jack even if we wanted to be assholes about it. Plus, I don't think unloading 3000lb steel coils with a pallet jack is really practical.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This whole thing sounds crazy to me. We always load and unload trucks we get deliveries on or ship out on. We couldn't afford to have them tie up our docks unloading with a pallet jack even if we wanted to be assholes about it. Plus, I don't think unloading 3000lb steel coils with a pallet jack is really practical.

Yeah, I remember when we would get a flatbed at work, and it was elbows and assholes to get all our poo poo off it.

Unlike a union dock, in which case, it can take longer to load the trailer than it takes to drive the load in. I wish I was kidding when I say I've been hand unloaded by little old ladies quicker than I've been forklift loaded by beefy union guys with forklifts.

CannonFodder posted:

It's not that bad, and it's a major account for Werner so the dispatch and planners might even know what's going on.

Yeah, sometimes a stopped clock is right....

I might sound a bit cranky but I've been having some major loving issues with my new-to-me DM. Including him forgetting to contact me, loosing track of where I am, forgetting to grab the correct loads, and having me try and be in two places at once. I'm good, but I haven't figured out how to be that good.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I also might be a real lovely mood because I had to hand someone a new delivery schedule that pretty much told them before the company told them they are jobless in a month.

On the day after Christmas too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Silly question I thought you guys would be able to answer: I passed an artic the other day that had green tyres on the trailer, totally green carcass, tread etc. What's with?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Jesus. Was just in vegas house hunting and driving back to SF with the folks...

God drat that's a ginormous inspection station that caltrans/CHP is building on I15 just outside of primm. A couple miles of dedicated wait lanes for incoming trucks....

I'm guessing running a loop around Palmdale to come in the back way into LA without hitting a scale with a non carb truck isn't going to be a thing by next summer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I seriously thought that was a truckstop its so loving big.

woah. You guys are about to get a deep inspection.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Big K of Justice posted:

Jesus. Was just in vegas house hunting and driving back to SF with the folks...

God drat that's a ginormous inspection station that caltrans/CHP is building on I15 just outside of primm. A couple miles of dedicated wait lanes for incoming trucks....

I'm guessing running a loop around Palmdale to come in the back way into LA without hitting a scale with a non carb truck isn't going to be a thing by next summer.

Instead of fixing like 211 miles of interstate, they are building that.

A bargain at half the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
So today I had my DMV test for my Class A, and I did great up until the last skill (Alley Dock), where I proceeded to fail miserably. The CA DMV gives you 12 points across 3 skills, and I finished my straight back and offset without losing any points, however I quickly burned them all with the alley dock. The issue is, for CDL testing the local DMV rents a lot from the KFC and church on the corner, so the skills are marked out with removable tape and a few cones, as I don't think they're allowed to paint permanent lines. My theory is that our recent heavy rains peeled up all the lines and they just stuck them back down, even if they weren't perfect (they're all broken up and don't stick very well anymore). For whatever reason though, the alley dock was narrower than it normally is at the school (which is marked out to DMV specification); so narrow that even with my trailer aligned, I only had a couple inches of clearance on either side. In fact, when walking me through the instructions before attempting the skill, the instructor (who was very nice by the way) let me know that for only the cones in the alley dock area, I was allowed to run over the bases, but not touch the orange part.

In short, I was dealing with a space that was much narrower than what I practiced with, and instead of remaining calm, I panicked a bit and hosed up instead of thinking things out. When trying it the first time, I tried to do it exactly as I'd practiced a million times at the school, which meant trying to maintain all the same distances and same angles when turning in. The problem is, with it that much narrower, it isn't possible to turn in the way I'm used to without clipping the outer front cone or encroaching the line between the first and second outer cone. Instead what I should have done is started further away from the alley dock (as far as I could without risking going outside the boundary with the tractor when starting to angle in), so I could breach the front cones with the back of the trailer, at a much steeper angle. Then I could have pulled forward to straighten and been in a much better position.

I think what bothers me the most about it (beyond the fact I have to wait another week now), is that after that initial attempt, my gut was telling me to just go ahead and reset entirely. I had 2 free pull-ups and 12 points; there was no reason to not spend a pull-up and try it again with a better angle, instead of what I did, which was throwing away points to save my current attempt, when there just wasn't any room to do it. I was counting my points and finally decided to reset once I only had the one point left, which was incredibly stupid of me. I think what makes it worst of all, is that I was nearly dead on when I tried it again from the position I should have done it from to begin with, but knowing I had no points left, I couldn't do a final pull-up to get the tractor and trailer perfectly straight with each other, and the lack of clearance meant the rear of the trailer barely encroached over the line, and I was done.

Edit:

InterceptorV8 posted:

Instead of fixing like 211 miles of interstate, they are building that.

A bargain at half the price.

My little unincorporated community has a single traffic light that has been broken and blinking red for months now, and many of the roads are disintegrating into gravel, but the county somehow found the funds to install 3 of those solar powered "You are going this fast XX. Slow down" electronic signs. I've said it before, but it'd be almost funny how mismanaged everything is (state and county level), if it wasn't so drat sad.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 30, 2014

• Locked thread