Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NutritiousSnack posted:

wasn't this referenced by Team Four Star

Yeah, in the Episode of Bardock one. At the very end he mentions he's working on this "fake moon thing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, in the Episode of Bardock one. At the very end he mentions he's working on this "fake moon thing".

also in one of the DBZ game episodes Lani right out says the line

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I honestly grew up with the Funi dub for the most part (I very faintly remember seeing Rock the Dragon and the eyecatch at a babysitter's house when I was like 2) so that's where most of my nostalgia lies. Hell, I don't think I actually started regularly watching until Cell.

I think the dub we got in the UK switched around maybe? I distinctly remember, say, the Brilliant Scientist bit and that we got a part of the Buu arc earlier than the US. I also remember Rock the Dragon alternating with a different theme song and the voices switching around every so many episodes.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I think the dub we got in the UK switched around maybe? I distinctly remember, say, the Brilliant Scientist bit and that we got a part of the Buu arc earlier than the US. I also remember Rock the Dragon alternating with a different theme song and the voices switching around every so many episodes.

They did switch multiple times. Whenever they went "Welp let's go back half a dozen sagas" they usually swapped one out for the other for a while. Really annoying because I liked a lot of the Faulconer music post-Frieza and I usually only got to hear it once.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Rudoku posted:

Dub bullshit. Goku realized that the monster that killed Gohan was him. Then he apologizes.

No, the whole thing is in the manga. It's only one panel before he figures it out, but he does accuse Vegeta of killing Gohan Senior.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ZeeToo posted:

No, the whole thing is in the manga. It's only one panel before he figures it out, but he does accuse Vegeta of killing Gohan Senior.

That was added to the Viz manga translation as a mocking reference to the dub error.

e: I found a source. Here.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 24, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

That was added to the Viz manga translation as a mocking reference to the dub error.

I'm just imagining viz poo poo talking other studios all the time now.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Regarding the Xenoverse game, I have not played a DBZ game in years and the trailers make it look cool as crap. However my understanding is the last DBZ game sucked, is this new game worthy of looking forward to?

And more importantly can you get trained by Tien.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I see that that quoted post from Kanzenshuu mentioned the fact Oozaru forms make the saiyan ten times as strong. I've been thinking about that powerup for a while now. If Vegeta was ~16000 when he's in base form in the Saiyan saga, why didn't he just go Oozaru and wreck havoc on Freeza's crew? He was stronger than even Ginyu on Earth. I guess it would be stupid with Freeza sitting up there. But Oozaru Vegeta was the strongest character Goku and company had met until Freeza going by that logic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Logically, Vegeta knew that even as an Oozaru, Freeza would wipe the floor with him, so it wasn't worth trying without being immortal.

In actuality, Toriyama probably hadn't actually planned that far ahead.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Also, anyone faster than Vegeta would just pull off his tail the second he starts up the artificial moon.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Evil Canadian posted:

Regarding the Xenoverse game, I have not played a DBZ game in years and the trailers make it look cool as crap. However my understanding is the last DBZ game sucked, is this new game worthy of looking forward to?

And more importantly can you get trained by Tien.

You can get trained by Tien and Battle of Z was horrid garbage. But at least it appeared to be horrid garbage throughout its development. This time it at least looks good.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

I see that that quoted post from Kanzenshuu mentioned the fact Oozaru forms make the saiyan ten times as strong. I've been thinking about that powerup for a while now. If Vegeta was ~16000 when he's in base form in the Saiyan saga, why didn't he just go Oozaru and wreck havoc on Freeza's crew? He was stronger than even Ginyu on Earth. I guess it would be stupid with Freeza sitting up there. But Oozaru Vegeta was the strongest character Goku and company had met until Freeza going by that logic.

Yeah, for that strategy to work on a non-Freeza entity he would either need to either dupe them into fighting him on a planet with a moon during a full moon (and kill them before they pulled a Roshi/Piccolo and blew the moon up) or fight someone he can knock silly long enough to use the power ball, all without losing his tail. And the second he tried it Freeza would have him hunted down as a traitor immediately.

The way it went down was definitely the better option - the Zenkai from nearly dying to the earthlings was enough to beat everyone short of the Ginyus without having to use a highly convoluted and easily countered strategy like that. (Hell, Zarbon gave him a freebie when they tossed him in the healing tank after the one pre-Ginyu fight he lost!)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

In It For The Tank posted:

huh, well, I didn't know that.

Egg on my face, then.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

facebook jihad posted:

If you mean in general, yeah, what everyone else said? If you mean on Namek, he didn't have his tail after Foodstuffs McMagicbean cut it off.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
This may be relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9nFmkfuNT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCBOEpSiV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaGvNc6jhnA

I think the problem with the artificial moon is that you could probably you just shoot at it and it might be destroyed.
Of course it was a one time thing and no one thought in doing that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Could End of Buu saga Krillin beat Frieza?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Could End of Buu saga Krillin beat Frieza?

Yes, in the same way Frieza saga Krillin could beat Frieza.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, in the same way Frieza saga Krillin could beat Frieza.

By dying in front of Goku?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also earlier discussion, but re: Beerus saying Goku was too weak to kill Frieza, did everyone in this thread have a stroke and forget Goku and Friend's whole secret weapon/gimmick of hiding their power levels? Like, Trunks and Goku both got theirs down to single digit levels before 'powering up, not even counting Transformations/techniques like the Kaioken.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also earlier discussion, but re: Beerus saying Goku was too weak to kill Frieza, did everyone in this thread have a stroke and forget Goku and Friend's whole secret weapon/gimmick of hiding their power levels? Like, Trunks and Goku both got theirs down to single digit levels before 'powering up, not even counting Transformations/techniques like the Kaioken.

Yes but he had just been training and had no reason to suppress it. Plus I think a God would know if it was being hidden.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's well established that dragon ball gods don't know poo poo

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They couldn't even sense Beerus.

Also, power levels are bullshit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

They couldn't even sense Beerus.

Also, power levels are bullshit.

Yeah well Beerus seems to have some god thing were he can't be sensed or overpowered by those who are not gods or have godly power.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah well Beerus seems to have some god thing were he can't be sensed or overpowered by those who are not gods or have godly power.

Except that time Vegeta Punched him.

Basically it's all bullshit, don't think about it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I always thought that it was if you get caught off guard by a punch it doesn't really matter what power level you're at, you weren't prepaired for the hit. That's why guys like kid Gohan can get a good hit on fully powered Frieza.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Power levels are bullshit pseudoscience which is why only villains relied on them

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

By dying in front of Goku?

Solar Flare into Kienzan combo. Too bad he didn't have enough mana to combo it ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Namtab posted:

Power levels are bullshit pseudoscience which is why only villains relied on them

This is why scouters exploding are such a cool image in the show.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Raxivace posted:

This is why scouters exploding are such a cool image in the show.
You know, you'd think that hurt a lot more. I mean the explosions are probably fine, but wouldn't those glass shards explode straight into your eyes? I mean drat.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Twiddy posted:

You know, you'd think that hurt a lot more. I mean the explosions are probably fine, but wouldn't those glass shards explode straight into your eyes? I mean drat.

Maybe if they weren't being worn by Saiyans, who are bulletproof before they hit puberty.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

YggiDee posted:

Maybe if they weren't being worn by Saiyans, who are bulletproof before they hit puberty.
I mean, is it like superman returns with their eyes being bulletproof? I usually imagine the eyes are any creature's omnipresent weak spot, and the fight against Vegeta only reinforced that belief. Then again, 5 year old Gohan's fist and an almost dead Goku's energy blast definitely hit harder than a bullet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Twiddy posted:

I mean, is it like superman returns with their eyes being bulletproof?

That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a movie.

Namtab posted:

One of Goku's signature techniques before he became a Super Saiyan was literally the ability to manipulate his power level at will.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can we post POV shots seen from scouters now? They're pretty cool and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Do scouters double as sunglasses?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Do scouters double as sunglasses?

In a perfect world

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's kind of funny how in Battle of Gods, nobody ever thought to just give Beerus some goddamn pudding or make more instead of trying to beat him up.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's kind of funny how in Battle of Gods, nobody ever thought to just give Beerus some goddamn pudding or make more instead of trying to beat him up.

Doesn't that sort of pudding take a bit to make?

Also, don't forget there'll be a new DBZA out today as a Freeza Day gift to us all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Also, don't forget there'll be a new DBZA out today as a Freeza Day gift to us all.

Oh wow, I didn't know this. Holy poo poo, that's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goku could beat up anybody.

• Locked thread