Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

humans are way way cheaper than what it would take to automate a mcdonalds.

On the face yeah, but these places are plagued with scheduling issues and people constantly call in b/c they're working 3 jobs with no car and can't make it. they spend stupid amounts on 'going over payroll' and paying harangued managers to stay till 2am working out the schedule, or it's their rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the sf board of supervisors tried to pass a thing saying that shift-work businesses would be required to post work schedules 2 weeks in advance and the chamber of commerce freaked the gently caress out it was kind of funny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

the sf board of supervisors tried to pass a thing saying that shift-work businesses would be required to post work schedules 2 weeks in advance and the chamber of commerce freaked the gently caress out it was kind of funny

mrs' boss is up till midnight chewing on his nails over the schedule the day before every time

then he gets mad when people are all "hey umm i told you i need X day off" cause there's no re-scheduling room

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

On the face yeah, but these places are plagued with scheduling issues and people constantly call in b/c they're working 3 jobs with no car and can't make it. they spend stupid amounts on 'going over payroll' and paying harangued managers to stay till 2am working out the schedule, or it's their rear end

its still cheaper. you know its cheaper because if it wasn't, mcdonalds would be automated.

its just too much of a pita to create the tooling and keep it all up to date and maintained and cleaned. like every time they release a new menu item they'd have to consider the cost of adding it to existing lines and what the cost of upgrading each store is. its just not worth it right now.

they'll pay more to get more reliable employees before they'll automate.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
don't forget consistency

these places make their brand based around consistent product and consisten turnaround times regardless of time of day or location

that's huge

it will eventually happen

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qirex posted:

yeah a completely on-demand workforce is kind of the endgame

if you read the article (nyt?) as to why on why apple had to manufacture in china was the ability to wake the workers up from their dorms in the middle of the night and retrain them on building the next iphone and didnt think that was horrific, i hope your threefive rich

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

the minimum wage should be pegged to the point right below where mcdonalds automation makes financial sense

so like $20 an hour then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't forget consistency

these places make their brand based around consistent product and consisten turnaround times regardless of time of day or location

that's huge

it will eventually happen

24/7 breakfast items might tip McD's over the edge

I know they do egg mcmuffins and poo poo after midnight but from my casual polling, people are pretty "meh, it's there" about mcd's lunch/dinner items but a lot of people have more of a tooth for the breakfast stuff

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

I know they do egg mcmuffins and poo poo after midnight but from my casual polling, people are pretty "meh, it's there" about mcd's lunch/dinner items but a lot of people have more of a tooth for the breakfast stuff

they are a breakfast restaurant with a burg sideline

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

their financials / sec filings are interesting reading

they make insane bank on breakfast (see subway, taco bell doing breakfast, etc.) because they're able to target adults, whereas the lunch/dinner meals target kid/family/retiree . theyre trying to legitimize themselves as a lunch/dinner place for adults so you see continual Arhc Deluxe, Big Angus, wraps, salads, whatever adult-targeted meals

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

if you read the article (nyt?) as to why on why apple had to manufacture in china was the ability to wake the workers up from their dorms in the middle of the night and retrain them on building the next iphone and didnt think that was horrific, i hope your threefive rich

it was less about that and more that they can spool up in just a couple months to make 50 million of A Thing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it'll eventually happen

sooner if the minimum wage explodes past the break even point

later if the automation becomes cheaper and when touchscreen ordering becomes more widespread

like i said, it'll happen with more upscale (but still cheap) restaurants because there's a much more consistent experience, and you're seeing it happening now with applebees et all

just the drive through alone is giving me nightmares, automating the whole thing just seems like a major pita

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

it was less about that and more that they can spool up in just a couple months to make 50 million of A Thing

also "we need to double the size of the factory" can be done very, very quickly

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

qirex posted:

six of one, half-dozen of the other

it only works because they can treat labor as a metered, undifferentiated resource that you can adjust frictionlessly. its an amazing achievement to be that flexible but you cant think of the workers as human

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Uber is putting the screws to New York taxis, and it's announcing the move with a Christmas Eve news dump. This morning, New York City Uber users received an email saying that anyone hailing a yellow cab through Uber’s service will have to pay a $2 surcharge.

New York users have the option of hailing a yellow cab using Uber’s app, or hailing one of Uber’s black cars. This summer, Uber cut fares on its UberX black cars by 20 percent and touted the fact that they’re now cheaper than yellow cabs. (Bloomberg found Uber to be very slightly cheaper.) Now the company is further undercutting the New York taxi industry, not by lowering fares again, but by hiking the price of hailing a cab through its app. Considering how convenient hailing through Uber’s app is, and that cab fares were neck-in-neck with UberX's, adding a $2 surcharge to yellow cabs is a significant blow.

In its email, Uber claims the fee was added for the benefit of drivers, though the fee will be going directly to Uber. "This fee is a small charge added to uberT trips on behalf of yellow and boro taxi drivers who utilize the Uber platform," the email says. An Uber representative said in an email that the fee is designed "to cover costs associated with provisioning the platform." Similar fees have been put in place in Washington, D.C., and Chicago.

The next paragraph is more direct about why the fee is bad news for the New York taxi industry: "We want to take this opportunity to introduce uberX, the low-cost Uber."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

rotor posted:

they were just ahead of their time

i want to go to an automat

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

qirex posted:

Uber is putting the screws to New York taxis, and it's announcing the move with a Christmas Eve news dump. This morning, New York City Uber users received an email saying that anyone hailing a yellow cab through Uber’s service will have to pay a $2 surcharge.

New York users have the option of hailing a yellow cab using Uber’s app, or hailing one of Uber’s black cars. This summer, Uber cut fares on its UberX black cars by 20 percent and touted the fact that they’re now cheaper than yellow cabs. (Bloomberg found Uber to be very slightly cheaper.) Now the company is further undercutting the New York taxi industry, not by lowering fares again, but by hiking the price of hailing a cab through its app. Considering how convenient hailing through Uber’s app is, and that cab fares were neck-in-neck with UberX's, adding a $2 surcharge to yellow cabs is a significant blow.

In its email, Uber claims the fee was added for the benefit of drivers, though the fee will be going directly to Uber. "This fee is a small charge added to uberT trips on behalf of yellow and boro taxi drivers who utilize the Uber platform," the email says. An Uber representative said in an email that the fee is designed "to cover costs associated with provisioning the platform." Similar fees have been put in place in Washington, D.C., and Chicago.

The next paragraph is more direct about why the fee is bad news for the New York taxi industry: "We want to take this opportunity to introduce uberX, the low-cost Uber."

a drat shame that hailo left the US market. is there any other app that lets me hail green or yellow cabs?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

guys I got a little tech joke for you

--
sint32 thisPost;

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mido posted:

guys I got a little tech joke for you

--
sint32 thisPost;

thank you for this funny joke and happy christmad god bless u everyone

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Verdafolio posted:

a drat shame that hailo left the US market. is there any other app that lets me hail green or yellow cabs?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Verdafolio posted:

in new york the app is called "your hand"

you wave it in the air and a car stops

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in new york the app is called "your hand"

you wave it in the air and a car stops

plenty of deadzones in the outer boroughs where you can have your hand up all night

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Verdafolio posted:

plenty of deadzones in the outer boroughs where you can have your hand up all night

in which case you have to call a local dispatcher regardless, because there won't be random drivers with whatever mobile app in the cabin

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

:getin:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

nice

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

infernal machines posted:

the thing is, if that were even remotely profitable or in any way connected to profitability the cab companies would be doing it voluntarily.

it's not, and they aren't, they do it because they're compelled by law. so a bad actor like uber that deliberately flaunts regulation as a core component of their business model has absolutely no interest in safety, it's just an added cost. specifically it's a higher cost than simply ignoring the law and paying the relevant fines.

if uber is anything they're the ultimate expression of laissez faire capitalism

good articulation brah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in which case you have to call a local dispatcher regardless, because there won't be random drivers with whatever mobile app in the cabin

you're getting to the real problem uber (and jitneys) addressed which is the dispatcher saying "lol no" or worse telling you the cab will be there soon but the driver ignores the request and you never get your ride

uber's user interaction with the app is nice, just punch in where you want to go and the request button and you get feedback that something is actually happening. there's nothing about the service that requires them to break the law by not having commercially licensed and insured drivers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Verdafolio posted:

also if you're black

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

you're getting to the real problem uber (and jitneys) addressed which is the dispatcher saying "lol no" or worse telling you the cab will be there soon but the driver ignores the request and you never get your ride

uber's user interaction with the app is nice, just punch in where you want to go and the request button and you get feedback that something is actually happening. there's nothing about the service that requires them to break the law by not having commercially licensed and insured drivers

is the additional control uber exhibits over their drivers on a passenger to passenger basis a possible 1099 issue?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Verdafolio posted:

every company that has an uber-like has their own app and theyre all poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PCjr sidecar posted:

every company that has an uber-like has their own app and theyre all poo poo

Pingup? Ya dude.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

Uber didn't address that, it still happens plenty. Some people even have the Uber dude drive by the pickup spot and just refuse to stop.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also if you're black

Another thing Uber don't actually solve

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uber didn't address that, it still happens plenty. Some people even have the Uber dude drive by the pickup spot and just refuse to stop.

ugh. well, there's consequences from uber for that at least in theory

I've had that happen with taxis but not uber so worksforme?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

And then they charge you the no show fee!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah Uber is crap but cab companies are horrendous in some places and something needs to be done. i was drunk and trying to get back to my friend's place in pittsburgh and called a dispatcher because there weren't any cabs anywhere. i tell the dispatcher i'm at the getgo at such & such intersection and she says 'we don't do curbside pickups' and hangs up on me. fired up uber without hesitating

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

And then they charge you the no show fee!

uber will happily take any fee off for customers and gently caress over drivers

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
a really happy medium would be uber opening their system, only allowing actual livery cars & taxis, and acting solely as a middle-man dispatcher that provides a uniform service country-wide. won't happen though and the only company to step in to do that was successful but decided to poison the well like cocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20141225_Uber_slapped_with_suit_by_45_city_taxi_companies.html

A group of 45 Philadelphia taxi companies filed suit in federal court Tuesday alleging that Uber, the app-based taxi enterprise, is waging unfair competition against medallion owners who must operate under state laws and regulations.

Lead litigant Checker Cab Philadelphia and the other cab operators accused Uber of racketeering.

"Not since the days of bootlegging has there been a criminal enterprise so brazen and open as to attract hundreds of millions of dollars in investment from investment bankers and to operate in blatant violation of federal and state law as Uber," reads the complaint. The case was filed in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

The suit also names 18 individuals, including Uber drivers it says are operating illegally in the city.

Pennsylvania's Public Utility Commission recently allowed UberX to operate in the state, but not in Philadelphia, where taxis are regulated by the Philadelphia Parking Authority.

UberX is the firm's cheaper car service. Another service, Uber Black, legally provides on-demand limousine service in Philadelphia and elsewhere in the state, complying with regulations on insurance, inspections, and licensing.

Citing financial and reputation damage and loss of sales, among other claims, Checker and the plaintiffs group contend the UberX drivers are operating an illegal enterprise under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, known as RICO, damaging the value of taxi medallions.

A taxi medallion in Philadelphia currently costs about $520,000. The total value of the medallions that allow cabs to operate in the city is about $880 million, according to one figure cited in the lawsuit.

As a result of the "unlawful competition of these defendants, the medallion taxicab plaintiffs suffered a significant reduction in the value of their medallions," the suit said.

The plaintiffs are represented by Michael Henry of Salaman Grayson & Henry P.C., a Philadelphia firm that specializes in commercial litigation.

Checker Cab also alleges false advertising over an Uber e-mail and website messages on Oct. 24 that claimed, "In October, the largest taxi insurer in Pennsylvania went bankrupt . . . There's no guarantee that your taxi ride will be insured."

First Keystone Risk Retention, a now-defunct insurer whose policies were to expire on Nov. 20, had insured many city taxi drivers. In the suit, Checker's attorneys said all Philadelphia taxicab medallion plaintiffs had obtained replacement coverage by Oct. 24, despite the insurer's failure.

Kalanick's legal problems extend far beyond Philadelphia. Prosecutors in South Korea on Wednesday charged him, his company, and the head of its domestic business partner, MK Korea Co., with violating a transportation law.

San Francisco Uber faces growing legal challenges as it expands in Asia amid mounting protest from taxi operators, Bloomberg News reported. Uber and other ride-sharing services face similar legal and regulatory challenges in many U.S. cities.

Seoul's Metropolitan Government said this year it might ban Uber's service and similar applications on grounds they are unsafe and compete with licensed taxi services. Starting next week, the government will offer rewards of as much as $905 to people who provide information on Uber's services.

Uber's South Korea unit and MK Korea illegally operated rental cars as taxis, an official with the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office said by phone Wednesday. The official, who asked not to be identified, citing internal policy, declined to comment on whether prosecutors expected Kalanick to appear for questioning.

Uber said it would fully cooperate with the investigation and was confident the court would uphold a fair and sensible judgment.

"We firmly believe that our service, which connects drivers and riders via an application, is not only legal in Korea, but that it is being welcomed and supported by consumers," the company wrote in an e-mail distributed by its South Korean public relations representative.

Checker Cab Philadelphia and the plaintiffs group sued Uber; its chief executive officer, Travis Kalanick; Delaware-registered entities tied to Uber; and Google Ventures, which has invested $258 million in Uber.

• Locked thread