Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The only thing I'm getting for Christmas model-wise is what I buy for myself. One of the things I got was the Mantic sci-fi crazy box, and inside it was one of the Jotun Heavy Hailstorm Cannons. They're often pointed as a cheap alternative for Thunderfire cannons, and for good reason; they have a bundle deal that gets you 3 of them for $40, which can fill out your heavy support quite nicely!

However, I wanted to compare sizes with the official TFC and the Hailstorm to see how close they were, so I busted out what I had of an old metal TFC. And they're surprisingly close.

The Hailstorm is slightly shorter width-wise than the TFC by maybe a millimeter or two on either side. It's longer than the TFC on the back end, with the height profile difference being negligible. It also goes together fairly easily--it's made of restic, so all one needs to do is give it a scrub with water and soap and you can start gluing it together pretty quickly. Only 12 pieces in total, and the dwarf gunner is a separate piece so if you don't want a scrunt manning your gun then you can safely leave him out.

The downside of course, is that it's restic, so scraping off all the mold lines is a pain in the rear end. That aside, it's a good stand-in for a TFC, and if you wanted you could even modify it to be a Rapier Weapons Platform with some cutting and kitbashing--although the PDC Gaming platforms would be closer to the real size for those.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have a dreadnought RIGHT powerfist arm they would be willing to part with? It could be from any kit really, normal, ironclad, furioso (bloodfist/talon), space wolves (wolffist?) I could give you money or trade some bits.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

LordAba posted:

If only they kept the 2+ armor save option. Plus they didn't give us any new relics in the Shield of Baal campaign. I want an item for a tyrant guard that gives +1 S/T to the hive tyrant that joins!

I must admit, the one thing I was hoping to get from the Leviathan formations was something to buff Walkrants / Tyrant Guard. I have 6 Guards all painted up, but they rarely see the field outside of Apoc (Living Fortress is awesome). It makes me wonder, what would it take for them to be a viable alternative to Wings?

The most obvious thing to me is they missed the chance to let Tyrant Guard take the same pod as their charge. The cost for them already builds up pretty quick before you look at adding the 2nd pod currently needed. Plus it would at least help to alleviate the mobility issues they have compared to Wings.
Beyond that, I think 4+ FNP would be fluffy and appropriate for them ("incredible resistance to injury and only dimly aware of pain", anyone?). It certainly makes Guards more effective used as ablative wounds. Or hell, just make them T7 and let majority unit toughness do the rest.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 24, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PierreTheMime posted:

One day walking units of any kind will be good again.

ftfy

Seriously, when was the last time an army on foot that didn't move 12" was anything but complete dogshit? I guess 4th edition if you count Chaos Daemons, but they did Deep Strike shenanigans anyways so it practically doesn't count. Before that... 2nd edition, I guess? Ugh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
When was that weird footdar list? 3rd?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

xtothez posted:

I must admit, the one thing I was hoping to get from the Leviathan formations was something to buff Walkrants / Tyrant Guard. I have 6 Guards all painted up, but they rarely see the field outside of Apoc (Living Fortress is awesome). It makes me wonder, what would it take for them to be a viable alternative to Wings?

The most obvious thing to me is they missed the chance to let Tyrant Guard take the same pod as their charge. The cost for them already builds up pretty quick before you look at adding the 2nd pod currently needed. Plus it would at least help to alleviate the mobility issues they have compared to Wings.
Beyond that, I think 4+ FNP would be fluffy and appropriate for them ("incredible resistance to injury and only dimly aware of pain", anyone?). It certainly makes Guards more effective used as ablative wounds. Or hell, just make them T7 and let majority unit toughness do the rest.

Should let us use living fortress in non-apoc, its just so cool.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Jesus gently caress, merry Christmas to me. My coworker just brought in 'some old figs' he had in his basement and it's all RT era SM, CSM and Eldar. I've never even seen an RT era Chaos Terminator or Harlequin Jetbike before, this poo poo is nuts.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ZachAttack posted:

Does anyone have a dreadnought RIGHT powerfist arm they would be willing to part with? It could be from any kit really, normal, ironclad, furioso (bloodfist/talon), space wolves (wolffist?) I could give you money or trade some bits.

I'll take a look but won't be able to get back to you for a few days. No promises.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Jesus gently caress, merry Christmas to me. My coworker just brought in 'some old figs' he had in his basement and it's all RT era SM, CSM and Eldar. I've never even seen an RT era Chaos Terminator or Harlequin Jetbike before, this poo poo is nuts.

Pics so we can hate you properly.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

I may be interested in some of the SM stuff if you're looking to offload em. My Sallies have been doing me proud and deserve some reinforcements :)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AbusePuppy posted:

ftfy

Seriously, when was the last time an army on foot that didn't move 12" was anything but complete dogshit? I guess 4th edition if you count Chaos Daemons, but they did Deep Strike shenanigans anyways so it practically doesn't count. Before that... 2nd edition, I guess? Ugh.

4th still had the stupid rules that made transports death traps. Penetrating hit? Had to get out. Explodes? Auto-pin. Ordnance explosion? Everyone in the transport is dead too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Jealously pics please.

Rogue Trader era Harlequin Jetbikes are amazing, did you get the Maximum Overdrive face?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PierreTheMime posted:

Merry Christmas! May the Hive Mind devour us, every one!

And a hobby new year.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Okay, excuse the lovely office lighting and cell phone pics.

He also brought in 12 recent edition pewter GK Termis and a handful of pewter 40k Inquisitors + retinue. Not one bit of plastic in the batch besides the bases and some backpacks.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

He also brought in 12 recent edition pewter GK Termis and a handful of pewter 40k Inquisitors + retinue. Not one bit of plastic in the batch besides the bases and some backpacks.

From the top !

Banshee Dreadnought with Missile Launcher and 2x Flamers

Harlequin -Shuriken pistol and Power Sword, Warlock - WitchBlade, Fire Dragon Exarch - Firepike, GhostWarrior -Shuriken Catapult, 2x Power Fist,
Harlequin - Shuriken pistol and Harlequins' kiss, Harlequin - S.pistol and Power Sword

Harlequin- Shuriken pist/power sword, Striking Scorpion, Harlequin- Power Fist/shuriken pistol, Harlequin- shuriken pistol/hand-webber, Harlequin-shuriken pistol/power sword, Harlequin-powersword/neuro-disruptor

Harlequin-Warlock- Force-Sword, Shuriken pistol, Mini-Grenade launcher, Scorpion, Space-Elf with Lascannon, Harlequin Avatar-Force sword/shuriken pistol, Banshee, Harlequin- Power Sword, shuriken pistol.

Harlequin Jetbike- Shrieker Cannon and power sword, and the last one is from the Eldar Heros blister, with chainsword and shurkien pistol.

I have all of these from the first time round :/

(edit) the last one in the 2nd pic, and the 4th along, top row are Deamon Hunter Inquisitors (ordo malleus ?) they came in a blister of 3, so who knows what happened to the other one !

(edit again)
Hollismason - it's one of 3 Deamon Hunter Inquistors, that ones got a Deamon Weapon and either a bolt-pistol or psycannon, I think

Renfield fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 25, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Middle Picture far right, what model is that guys arms up raised.

Dude that is loving awesome. The Harlequin Jetbike especially. You got the crazy face those things are amazing looking.

ALso, I've come to the conclusion that Orks don't do anything really well at all.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 25, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks for identifying the Eldar and the Daemon Hunters, Renfield! That's super helpful. I'm gonna be stripping all of these models and gradually re-painting them as breaks between doing mobs of Boyz and squads of Salamanders.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

And again Fantasy are getting some more awesome models

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Greyish Orange posted:

That would make an excellent Slaaneshi daemon prince if anything.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Greyish Orange posted:

Helllooooo, Daemon Prince!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Greyish Orange posted:

fantasy is so much cooler than 40k atm

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Fantasy has all the cool models now, at least 40k seems to have hit peak stupid with the space wolf dog sled.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hollismason posted:

Jealously pics please.

Rogue Trader era Harlequin Jetbikes are amazing, did you get the Maximum Overdrive face?

I love that face, I have two I picked up at aGamesday in 01. Havenrr done anything with them since I want to be able to recast them first and that's a skill I keep putting off.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

LordAba posted:

4th still had the stupid rules that made transports death traps. Penetrating hit? Had to get out. Explodes? Auto-pin. Ordnance explosion? Everyone in the transport is dead too.

Yeah, but that was the era of Clown Cars, Dakkafexes, Tau VP Denial, and Bike Chaplain from Hell. Transports, with a handful of rare exceptions, were quite awful but being on foot with no ability to Run (because that wasn't a thing back then, except for Fleet units) was just as bad.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Soulfucker posted:

Also, merry Christmas, 40k thread! :toot: I got my Spawn of Cryptus in the mail the other day, so expect pictures in a week or so when I get around to painting it.

I'm still waiting for them to send me my replacement Spawn of Cryptus. Might have to bother them again in the new year to get it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm jealous of your gifts from the Ghost of Warhams Past.

I won't have time for a game with my dad over Christmas, but I've got three games lined up in the next week or two. I'm excited!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Exinos posted:

Fantasy has all the cool models now, at least 40k seems to have hit peak stupid with the space wolf dog sled.

Actually, it owns.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

panascope posted:

Actually, it owns.

You seem to be confused. 30k models own. Fantasy models own. Space wolves are terrible.

Happy to help.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Oh, and the new blood angel kits are pretty cool looking even if unnecessary.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Exinos posted:

You seem to be confused. 30k models own. Fantasy models own. Space wolves are terrible.

Happy to help.

It's a sled pulled by robot dogs

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

panascope posted:

It's a sled pulled by robot dogs

They're not robot dogs is the thing.

If they WERE, or like thunderwolves, then gently caress yeah that'd be so silly it's awesome. But they're not. So it's relegated to stupid.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I dunno, it reminds me of that Frank Frazetta rendering of the barbarian on a sled being pulled by polar bears (see http://frankfrazetta.org/). Its pretty over the top, but its not the worst thing GW has done in recent years.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It would have been way more badass if that Space Wolf sled was pulled by polar bears.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

AndyElusive posted:

It would have been way more badass if that Space Wolf sled was pulled by polar bears.

Friend of mine has an armored polar bear, Ursus Bearbjorn is the best WolfBear Lord of all time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AndyElusive posted:

I just wish GW made plastic bears so I could make my Valhallan bear cavalry counts-as Ogryn after all these years.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

SRM posted:

I just wish GW made plastic bears so I could make my Valhallan bear cavalry counts-as Ogryn after all these years.

You probably know this, but I'm certain someone (I think Scibor?) makes notmarine bear cavalry.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hencoe posted:

Friend of mine has an armored polar bear, Ursus Bearbjorn is the best WolfBear Lord of all time.

His name is Bear Bearbear?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

One of the few benefits of working on Christmas Eve is a lot of downtime so I've cataloged the haul my coworker gave me. Any appraisal 'hams out there want to venture what a fair price would be for this? I'd like to return the favor to him. I've done my best to nail done the vintage of each model. Thanks again to Renfield for the Harlequin help.

Top Pic (T to B and L to R)
Banshee Dreadnought with Missile Launcher and 2x Flamers - 1987

HarlequinTrouper - Shuriken pistol and Power Sword - 1989
Warlock - WitchBlade - 1991
Fire Dragon Exarch - Firepike - 1991
GhostWarrior Assassin Class Battle Drone - Shuriken Catapult, 2x Power Fist, - 1987
Harlequin Trouper/Warlock- Shuriken pistol and Harlequins' kiss - 1989
Harlequin Trouper - S.pistol and Power Sword - 1989

Harlequin Trouper - Shuriken pist/power sword - 1989
Striking Scorpion - 1991
Harlequin Trouper - Power Fist/shuriken pistol - 1989
Harlequin Trouper - shuriken pistol/hand-webber - 1989
Harlequin Trouper - shuriken pistol/power sword - 1989
Harlequin Solitaire - powersword/neuro-disruptor - 1989

Harlequin-Warlock - Force-Sword, Shuriken pistol, Mini-Grenade launcher - 1989
Striking Scorpion - 1991
Belgae Strongwill - 1987
Harlequin Avatar - Force sword/shuriken pistol - 1989
Howling Banshee - 1991
Harlequin Trouper - Power Sword, shuriken pistol - 1989

Harlequin Jetbike - Shrieker Cannon and power sword - 1989
Yaevin Pureheart - 1987

Middle Pic (T to B and L to R)
Slaanesh Chaos Space Marine - 1991
Slaanesh Chaos Space Marine - 1991
Inquisitor - 1989
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - 1989
Khorne Chaos Space Marine - 1991

Traitor Captain Terminator - 1991
Traitor Terminator - 1991
Chaos Renegade with Melta Gun - 1991
Chaos Renegade with Grenade Launcher - 1991
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - 1989

Bottom Pic (T to B and L to R)
Blood Dragon Vampires - ????
Warrior Priest of Ulric - 2000+

Terminator - 1989
Terminator with A. Cannon - 1989
Inquisitor Terminator - 1989
Terminator Captain - 1989
Inquisitor - 1989
Ordo Malleus Terminator - 1989

Librarian Terminator - 1989
Cyclone Terminator - 1991
CC Terminator - 1991
Inquisitor - 1989
Space Marine - 1993

Terminator - 1989
Terminator with Heavy Flamer - 1989
Terminator - 1989
Terminator - 1989
Grey Knight Terminator - 1989

Not Pictured
War Walker/Wraithlord with dual Scatter Lasers, missing pilot - 1991?
Brother Captain Stern - 2003/2004
11 Grey Knight Terminators - 2003/2004
2 Grey Knights in Power armor, missing halberds - 2003/2004
Inquisitor Lord Coteaz - 2003/2004
Inquisitor Acolyte- 2003/2004
Daemonhost - 2003/2004
Daemonhost - 2003/2004
Cherub Familiar 1 - 2003/2004
Servo Skull - 2003/2004
Gun Servitor with Multi_Melta - 2003/2004

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

His name is Bear Bearbear?

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Did someone say bears?

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Locked thread