Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

There was also stuff like them completely loving up the translation for one card and making the English version incredibly powerful. I think it was a baboon that ate souls; it could only exile (using MTG terms here) creature cards for an attack boost originally, but the American translation changed this to any card type. This had no other cost and was loving bullshit as a result.

Ah, Bazoo the Soul Eater.

It was me, I made the mill deck around this mistranslated card. I really enjoyed the thought of a big ol baboon eating discard magic juice and then slamming it's big butt into my opponent's face.

Also, butt jokes were still funny in those days. Youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I played Yu-Gi-Oh as my initial card game as a kid and I was blown away after transitioning to Magic to learn that you were allowed to use cards that are in any language. I distinctly remember people saying in regards to YGO that yeah, the reason you can't have cards of a different language is because they literally do different things depending on what language they're written in.

Edit: also, you wanna talk about rough translations there was also a very specific card name that made me go "ok, wait a second here"

This one could be honest. I get emails from Japanese customers with similar misspellings.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Applebees posted:

I'm not sure which card you mean by Magosi.

If you need to untap your creatures during the beginning of combat step, you probably need to set a stop there. If you enter declare attackers step, it's too late, because the first thing that happens in that step is you declare attackers.

I mean Minamo, I get my legendary blue lands mixed up.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
So, Ugin exists. And he's pretty sweet.

(http://media.wizards.com/2014/ujehvsbfrf153/en_w54r4t295i.png)

Reverse Nicol Bolas!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Niton posted:

Reverse Nicol Bolas!

Now can I run it in GR Tron in place of Karn? Hmmmm...

forbidden lesbian posted:

Whoa, that minus x is pretty much an ultimate all of it's own

Can I -X for 0 and blow up all lands like an incredible shitheel?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 25, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Whoa, that minus x is pretty much an ultimate all of it's own

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
That -x ability is house. Jeez. Talk about protecting himself.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Can I -X for 0 and blow up all lands like an incredible shitheel?

If Painter's Servant is out or if they're all Dryad Arbors, sure.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Myriad Truths posted:

If Painter's Servant is out or if they're all Dryad Arbors, sure.

I figured as much.

I merely assumed it'd work that was seeing as for the purpose of Trinket Mage fetching artifact lands, they do count as permanents with CMCs.

And then I continued reading the second ability. :doh:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Niton posted:

Reverse Nicol Bolas!

Where was he spoiled at?

EDIT: nm, found it

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 25, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I like that minus effect. You could work very well in RG ramp too. Not as good as M14 Garruk, but it can do alot of damage.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Am I missing something, or is there a reason that the -X doesn't read "Exile each colored permanent with converted mana cost X or less"? That template seems awkward.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I figured as much.

I merely assumed it'd work that was seeing as for the purpose of Trinket Mage fetching artifact lands, they do count as permanents with CMCs.

And then I continued reading the second ability. :doh:

Look, he's already good enough, let's not make him unfathomable. Well, "good enough", 8 mana is a lot, but I think maybe because of how good green is and how long games go nowadays that might not be impossible.

I might just be a dreamer tho...

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ugin's -X can't hit Nicol Bolas without being +ed first, which I think is pretty fitting. It's still a pretty massive wipe, especially if you're playing a Morph-heavy deck. (I wonder why they went with that phrasing and not 'each colored permanent with CMC X or less'.)

e: I'm going to call his -X Pernicious Dust.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Look, he's already good enough, let's not make him unfathomable. Well, "good enough", 8 mana is a lot, but I think maybe because of how good green is and how long games go nowadays that might not be impossible.

I might just be a dreamer tho...

I just want to slam him in the control decks and see if he works as a wincon.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

Costing 8 instead of 7 is big as you can play ugin t4 at the earliest, but that -X is really strong. T3 karn/coil is probably what the deck still wants to do but I can see ugin getting played.

U/x controll in standard seems like a great place for him.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Count Bleck posted:

Not that I've played the deck, but wouldn't costing 1 more than a natural Tron be kind of rough? I mean, he does poo poo all over a bunch of stuff when he comes in...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Thanks for this, I had no idea.

Ugin is cool.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I like that he has the same CMC as Dig Through Time and his Ultimate is like a Super Dig Through Time

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boco_T posted:

I like that he has the same CMC as Dig Through Time and his Ultimate is like a Super Dig Through Time

not really?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boco_T posted:

I like how his abilities encompass every single color on the pie. Even black. Sort of.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not that I've played the deck, but wouldn't costing 1 more than a natural Tron be kind of rough? I mean, he does poo poo all over a bunch of stuff when he comes in...

Doesn't stop sundering titan from being a strong singleton in u-tron decks.

I'm loving Ugin. He may actually fit well into control tron decks seeing as how he can boardwipe when you drop him, and he provides a clock with his +2. Not sure how useful he will be in standard though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

I just want to slam him in the control decks and see if he works as a wincon.

Besides maybe Elspeth, what other permenants would you have?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

Pearl Lake Ancient? Banishing Lights? Vaults?

..Ashiok?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Doesn't stop sundering titan from being a strong singleton in u-tron decks.

I'm loving Ugin. He may actually fit well into control tron decks seeing as how he can boardwipe when you drop him, and he provides a clock with his +2. Not sure how useful he will be in standard though.

Please, Please. I'm doing this when Fate Reforged comes out.

I am getting exciting thinking about turn 4 "Ugin, -3, dispose of the riffraff."

Next turn "Wurmcoil, plus Ugin, bolt you"

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 25, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

All the lands

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would dig a standard Lands.dek

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

I would dig a standard Lands.dek

Pull 4 Radiant Fountains as part of your 7, gain 15 life.

Talk about gettin' sad.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

I like how his abilities encompass every single color on the pie. Even black. Sort of.

His +2 is obviously R, his -X is basically Pernicious Deed which is B/G, and his ult is pretty W/U.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

vOv posted:

His +2 is obviously R, his -X is basically Pernicious Deed which is B/G, and his ult is pretty W/U.

His ult is also very green, as well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'd run it in white blue control. He's probably too expensive still, but with a ridiculously flexible board wipe and the ability to follow up more than well enough, he's got to see play somewhere, even if it's not standard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How much standard play did Bolas see in his time?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Also, duals in FRF boosters

quote:

Therefore, in Fate Reforged booster packs, the basic land slot may contain nonbasic lands.[1] You may get one of the ten common Khans of Tarkir dual lands—Dismal Backwater, Jungle Hollow, and friends. They will have new artwork and the Fate Reforged expansion symbol.

Or, you may encounter one of the Khans of Tarkir fetch lands, which will be identical to the Khans of Tarkir version, including the expansion symbol.

This is similar to the manner in which Return to Ravnica dual lands were available in Dragon's Maze in the lands slot.

I don't really understand this part though

quote:

[1] Certain languages—Korean, Portuguese, Chinese (Traditional), and Russian—will also contain basic lands in this slot at a high frequency alongside nonbasic lands, as Fate Reforged basic lands will not otherwise be printed in those languages.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Also, duals in FRF boosters

Basically, I can buy a box of FRF and maybe get some fetches. Neato.

Rinkles posted:

I think it'd be easier to ask "how much play did Karn see during his standard time?"

Which I think was a lot.

Bolas has a restrictive as hell casting cost. Ugin does not. You just need to tap 8 lands as opposed to 4 lands, an island, two swamps, and a mountain.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

I'm pretty sure cruel ultimatum was the preferred finisher in those colors (and in the 5 color decks) his first time around. And He barely saw any play the second time around.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

I don't really understand this part though

The sentence seems to directly contradict its own nonsense. It could mean anything, but I think maybe it's saying that there's a higher chance of a basic land there than the English packs?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wait, does that mean FRF has its own basics?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

The sentence seems to directly contradict its own nonsense. It could mean anything, but I think maybe it's saying that there's a higher chance of a basic land there than the English packs?

That's also what I'm guessing. Probably due to the printing process for certain other countries, they can't quite do the same thing as in the US?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Basically, I can buy a box of FRF and maybe get some fetches. Neato.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that says only the common duals.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that says only the common duals.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

One thing about modern magic art I'm not going to complain about are the lands.

(Okay I do prefer the original Rob Alexander fetches, but those are some gorgeous landscapes in that article)

• Locked thread