Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Happy Dolphin posted:

Right now my shopping list looks like this:

ASUS ROG Maximus VII GENE - Socket 1150
Intel i5 4690K
Corsair Carbide Air 240 Cube case, black
HyperX Fury DDR3 1600Mhz (2x 8GB)

In addition I'm guessing I'll need a new PSU to fit into the mATX case.

Edit: I came up with the Corsair RM750, since my old PSU isn't modular.

Combined with what I already own, does this look okay?
I'd look at another case personally. The Air 240 limits your graphics card choices quite a bit since the motherboard side of the case is only just big enough to fit a standard sized card. Any card with a larger aftermarket cooling solution will be too large to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Based on what I've looked through the best deals I can find are:
Intel Core i5 4690K Unlocked Quad Core 3.5GHZ/3.9GHZ Processor - $249.99
ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 1XPCIE3.0X16 3XPCIE2.0X1 3XPCI 6XSATA3 Motherboard - $69.99 (after MiR)

I can't find much of a deal on RAM, based on the OP I should be looking for DDR3 1600mhz CL9, does the manufacturer matter? Cheapest seem to be ADATA and G.Skill.

Megaman15
Jul 4, 2014
Ok im a complete fool in pc building imo but would this be a good pc build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LpBzGX

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megaman15 posted:

Ok im a complete fool in pc building imo but would this be a good pc build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LpBzGX
Some stuff that jumps out at me right away:
  • You really won't need 32GB of RAM, or even 16GB for most stuff. 8 will do you fine. You won't notice any performance increase in games by upping your RAM past 8GB. 16 is really nice to have if you're doing video/audio/photo editing or something like that. If you aren't doing that stuff, 8 is perfectly okay for you.
  • A 1000W PSU is overkill. That's not super pricy for a PSU or anything, but you'll never use that much power.
  • If you're sure you want that mouse and keyboard for a specific purpose, keep them. But otherwise, you could probably cut off a good $100 by going with much cheaper alternatives to both.
  • A 128GB SSD will hold Windows, some programs and a couple games just fine, but if you go with a larger SSD, you won't have to janitor it nearly as much. Trust me. I have a 128GB SSD and have for like 2 years. It's worked, but I bought a 500GB SSD to replace it because I'd really rather not worry about whether or not my drive is gonna fill up. And games are easily between like 30 and 50 gigs each now, so if you're building this for gaming, you're really going to want either a bigger SSD or to put them all on that 2TB HDD you've got.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 25, 2014

Megaman15
Jul 4, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Some stuff that jumps out at me right away:
  • You really won't need 32GB of RAM, or even 16GB for most stuff. 8 will do you fine. You won't notice any performance increase in games by upping your RAM past 8GB. 16 is really nice to have if you're doing video/audio/photo editing or something like that. If you aren't doing that stuff, 8 is perfectly okay for you.
  • A 1000W PSU is overkill. That's not super pricy for a PSU or anything, but you'll never use that much power.
  • If you're sure you want that mouse and keyboard for a specific purpose, keep them. But otherwise, you could probably cut off a good $100 by going with much cheaper alternatives to both.
  • A 128GB SSD will hold Windows, some programs and a couple games just fine, but if you go with a larger SSD, you won't have to janitor it nearly as much. Trust me. I have a 128GB SSD and have for like 2 years. It's worked, but I bought a 500GB SSD to replace it because I'd really rather not worry about whether or not my drive is gonna fill up. And games are easily between like 30 and 50 gigs each now, so if you're building this for gaming, you're really going to want either a bigger SSD or to put them all on that 2TB HDD you've got.

Alright thanks, any recommendations for 16gb ram and psu? and il take word of the ssd, i just thought if i am going for a big purchase try and get the most out of it but i Cant really spend more than 1950$ and the ssd's are very pricey for the good ones that i know of any ideas, also want to say thank you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Anti-Hero posted:

I mentioned at the top of the page I was going to replace my PSU. I since I'm going to be digging around in the case I figure it's a good opportunity to replace that as well as I'm dissatisfied with it, being a Fortress FT02.

System specs reposted:

I have a couple of questions:

1) I want to add a HDD for weekly image backups of my SSD (the SSD just bricked itself the other day but that's another issue). I did not maintain any sort of backups for the SSD so obviously I've learned my lesson there as I've lost a lot of media. Would it make sense to also keep a spare HDD around as a replacement boot drive should I have another SSD problem in the future? Or in the event of a SSD failure just install Win 8.1 on the backup HDD with the SSD image and restore from there?

2) The Fortress FT02 is kind of pain in the rear end to work in and the cable management is pretty outdated. It does cool and keep things quiet REALLY well, and I do appreciate the 90 degree motherboard rotation. I was interested in the FT05 but it seems like it suffers from similar flaws, namely mediocre cable management and actually somewhat cramped to work in.

What I'm looking forward
-Similar levels of cooling features and silence as the FT02
-ATX form factor
-Prefer minimal and elegant aesthetics. I do not want anything flashy or gamer oriented.
-Does not need 5.25" bays
-I/O on the front or top of case. Requires USB 3.0
-Ample working space and robust cable management
-Modular internal drive bays

I'm really describing a good mATX case like the Enthoo Evolv, but I'm on ATX form factor so I'd need to resell my mobo if I wanted to switch platforms, plus I find the front I/O position on that case problematic. The Fractal Define R5 looks promising and hits most of the check boxes except I'm unsure of how quiet and cool it compares to the FT02. In addition I'm using a reference style 980 which loves 90 degree mobo orientation but seems lovely for conventional case designs. Thanks for any help.

There's always the phanteks enthoo pro.

You don't need such a large wattage power supply if you only have one GPU - a 450 - 550w rosewill capstone-m is a perfectly good choice. If you're doing dual GPUs then I'd look into an EVGA Supernova NEX G2.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Thoughts on this? New gaming pc, love to eventually have dual SLI GTX 970's when a 2nd one gets cheaper. I have a Microcenter near me and their prices are usually just as good online.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($339.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1195.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-24 17:04 EST-0500

Thoughts?

I wouldn't consider that a great case. If you want to stick with NZXT, the Phantom 630 is a good choice for dual GPU systems, or look into a phanteks enthoo Pro. You don't have a CPU cooler on that list, you'll need one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Capn Jobe posted:

I've had my PC since around April of 2011, and it's still chugging along nicely. Got a new HD on Black Friday, and did a fresh Windows install. The thing works fine, but I kind of want to run Planetside 2 on Ultra. I don't have a lot of cash right now, so I was putting off any further upgrades, but then I got a $500 Visa prepaid card as a bonus at work. So I figure if I'm going to get myself something nice, it may be worth doing some upgrading. Here's what I have now:

Kind of a broad question, but what can/should I upgrade for under $500? I certainly don't have to spend it all; I'm mostly interested in bang for my buck.

Your CPU isn't worth upgrading yet. Buy an SSD if you don't already have one, and upgrade your GPU to a gtx970.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
First time building, could anyone do a quick sanity check on this? Not sure whether the CPU cooler is worth getting seeing as I'm not planning to overclock.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£149.15 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£60.51 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£298.61 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£278.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£63.96 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£91.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£11.89 @ CCL Computers)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
If I want to get into a lot of smaller, indie games that are only available on PC, or MOBAs like DotA or League as the only real games in interested in, what sort of price range should I be looking at? Most things that are multi platform I get on console, but a lot of the PC only games look interesting too. I don't need superfancy graphics.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Are there any silent cases geared towards horizontal? I've got a 12" vertical with 21" horizontal space. mATX preferred, but if I have to go ITX for it I will.

Edit: I think this is my last piece part, I've got way too many (6 + 3 laptops) computers.

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 25, 2014

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster
Hello! I'm from the UK and am considering whether I should upgrade my current PC or start a build entirely afresh. Ideally, I wouldn't be spending more than £500.

At the moment, I've got:
- i5 2500k
- Nvidia 660 TI
- ASrock H61m motherboard
- OCZ SSD (128GB)
- 8GB RAM (Kingston).
- XFX 550W PSU

For gaming, it's been performing okay - but in the last few months, I've noticed it struggling with 1080P at high quality settings. I think primarily this is to do with the CPU and the fact it's running literally at 90 degrees whilst running games.

So, with around £500, I was considering upping the CPU to a 4th gen i7. And then possibly also grabbing a GTX 970?

However, I'm not feeling too confident about that upgrade for two reasons:
- Ensure as to whether my PSU can handle an i7 and a 970.
- Unsure as to whether my motherboard would support an i7? (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61MU3S3/ that's my motherboard)

I'd appreciate some advice. Can I upgrade just my CPU and GPU? Or should I be upgrading some of the other parts? Thanks.

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007
So I've been using a franken-PC that looks a little something like this:

Intel i5-2550k @3.4ghz
8 GB RAM @1600
1TB non-SSD Hard Drive
Geforce GTX 560ti (purchased in the year of our Lord 2011 for a previous computer)
500W power supply (I think it's 500, or maybe 480; I don't have a record of the purchase as I think it was a CompUSA "oh crap my PSU died and CompUSA is still in business" purchase)
There's some fans and dvd drives and such in there, too.

I'm looking at upgrading the video card, trying to hit a nice sweet spot between price ($250 or less, less ideally) and longevity (tough to predict, but the 560ti only recently started to not even hit 30 fps). Is this a case of "wait until nvidia's 960 is released to see how it pans out?" I assume an r9 280x or something of its ilk is the best bet for cards in that space on the market. Would I need to upgrade the PSU or add a cooling solution above what's currently working for me?

Also, while I'm in there, is there any need to think about a new CPU, RAM, or other bits? A SSD to boot windows onto is obviously on the list.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I wouldn't consider that a great case. If you want to stick with NZXT, the Phantom 630 is a good choice for dual GPU systems, or look into a phanteks enthoo Pro. You don't have a CPU cooler on that list, you'll need one.

Yeah will be getting a CPU cooler for sure, just havent decided yet. Case I am open, any other suggestions for around the $100 mark for dual GPU's down the road?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SterlingSylver posted:

So I've been using a franken-PC that looks a little something like this:

Intel i5-2550k @3.4ghz
8 GB RAM @1600
1TB non-SSD Hard Drive
Geforce GTX 560ti (purchased in the year of our Lord 2011 for a previous computer)
500W power supply (I think it's 500, or maybe 480; I don't have a record of the purchase as I think it was a CompUSA "oh crap my PSU died and CompUSA is still in business" purchase)
There's some fans and dvd drives and such in there, too.

I'm looking at upgrading the video card, trying to hit a nice sweet spot between price ($250 or less, less ideally) and longevity (tough to predict, but the 560ti only recently started to not even hit 30 fps). Is this a case of "wait until nvidia's 960 is released to see how it pans out?" I assume an r9 280x or something of its ilk is the best bet for cards in that space on the market. Would I need to upgrade the PSU or add a cooling solution above what's currently working for me?

Also, while I'm in there, is there any need to think about a new CPU, RAM, or other bits? A SSD to boot windows onto is obviously on the list.

There's probably a sticker or something on the PSU that could give you a clue.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Margaret Thatcher posted:

Hello! I'm from the UK and am considering whether I should upgrade my current PC or start a build entirely afresh. Ideally, I wouldn't be spending more than £500.

At the moment, I've got:
- i5 2500k
- Nvidia 660 TI
- OCZ SSD (128GB)
- 8GB RAM (Kingston).
- XFX 550W PSU

For gaming, it's been performing okay - but in the last few months, I've noticed it struggling with 1080P at high quality settings. I think primarily this is to do with the CPU and the fact it's running literally at 90 degrees whilst running games.

So, with around £500, I was considering upping the CPU to a 4th gen i7. And then possibly also grabbing a GTX 970?

- Unsure as to whether my motherboard would support an i7? (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61MU3S3/ that's my motherboard)

I'd appreciate some advice. Can I upgrade just my CPU and GPU? Or should I be upgrading some of the other parts? Thanks.

It is your video card that is holding you back in games you could just get at 970 and your gaming issues will be resolved. Regarding the high CPU temps invest in a better cooler rather than upgrading from the 2500k. The 970 does not use a lot of power so your PSU will be fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I was suggested that a 750 ti is good enough for what I'm looking for (720p gaming), but I'm not well versed in picking out which one is the "best" one because they're all similar priced. Can I please have someone tell me the difference? Newegg link

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Zohar posted:

First time building, could anyone do a quick sanity check on this? Not sure whether the CPU cooler is worth getting seeing as I'm not planning to overclock.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£149.15 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£60.51 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£298.61 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£278.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£63.96 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£91.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer (£11.89 @ CCL Computers)

Mini ITX board and microATX case. You could get a smaller case to save some space. Check out the Thermaltake Core V1. It should be a bit cheaper, too. Also might go for a Fractal Design Node 304 or a Bitfenix Prodigy. Otherwise, no real problem with just using the Arc Mini, it'll just be bigger than it needs to be.

A 650W power supply is much larger than it needs to be or ever will need to be for this build. If it saves you money, stepping down to the 550W or even 450W version is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Harik posted:

Are there any silent cases geared towards horizontal? I've got a 12" vertical with 21" horizontal space. mATX preferred, but if I have to go ITX for it I will.

Edit: I think this is my last piece part, I've got way too many (6 + 3 laptops) computers.

My first instinct is to go for a Silverstone Raven RVZ01/Milo ML07. They aren't "silent," but they're geared for high-end parts at reasonable volumes and can be traded off for noise fairly well. The only hiccup is that, when horizontal, the GPU intake fans get a little starved for air. Raising the case half an inch would work really well.

Alternatively, you could go for a Silverstone Grandia GD06. It's pricey, and you have to watch the PSU clearance (probably best to go for one of Silverstone's own Strider units for their shorter length), but it's mATX and designed for that kind of space and the kind of acoustics one might want out of an HTPC.

Margaret Thatcher posted:

At the moment, I've got:
- i5 2500k
- Nvidia 660 TI
- OCZ SSD (128GB)
- 8GB RAM (Kingston).
- XFX 550W PSU

A CPU replacement will require a motherboard replacement.

Your power supply will be fine for either your current CPU or a Haswell one with a GeForce 970. The power consumption will be near-identical to your current parts.

Your GPU is the primary performance bottleneck here.

If you could overclock your CPU, that would be great... But you can't on an H61 motherboard.

Get a cooler on the CPU. It doesn't have to be fancy, since you aren't overclocking, but do it, and your temperature problems will be solved.

A 128 GB OCZ SSD is a big :frogsiren: item. It might be a good time to upgrade to a larger SSD, since the OCZ drive is either bad, unreliable, out of warranty, or all three unless it's a very recent ARC 100.

Tae posted:

I was suggested that a 750 ti is good enough for what I'm looking for (720p gaming), but I'm not well versed in picking out which one is the "best" one because they're all similar priced. Can I please have someone tell me the difference? Newegg link

The EVGA Superclocked one is a pretty good choice - reasonable price, hefty factory overclock (which means higher performance without you needing to mess with it yourself), and no PCIe connector required. The Asus dual-fan model (not the Strix) is also a reasonable choice - similar performance to the slower EVGA one, but with a much quieter dual-fan cooler. And it could easily be overclocked to match the top EVGA one.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
How do you feel about PC Part Picker's entry level gaming build? All I plan on in games is DotA 2, League, indies, and a lot of Civilization 5.

http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gcTwrH/entry-level-gaming-build

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Capsaicin posted:

How do you feel about PC Part Picker's entry level gaming build? All I plan on in games is DotA 2, League, indies, and a lot of Civilization 5.

http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gcTwrH/entry-level-gaming-build

Their build doesn't jive with our recommendations, for example the PSU is crappy and better ones are on sale for cheaper, and they use a full ATX case with a Micro ATX mobo.

If that $500 is your budget, look at what I posted earlier for the same price area:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vbZWjX

That uses a Micro ITX motherboard and case so it becomes very compact yet still capable, the CPU is leagues more powerful when overclocked (takes a few clicks in BIOS and can hit around 4.4ghz with the stock fan).

You could nab a used R9 280X with transferrable warranty from eBay (only get MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte) to save another $50 or so.

Or, you could completely forgo the video card, and upgrade to a 4690K and an orverclocking ITX board, and run those games from Integrated Graphics, all indie games, Civ 5 and RTS stuff like you listed will be fine with that. You could get a GPU later down the road and have something high-end for now.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 26, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The other $500 choice is to get a Dell Inspiron desktop and a GeForce 750 Ti (the "Penny Pincher" build from the OP). That includes Windows, too.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Zero VGS posted:

Their build doesn't jive with our recommendations, for example the PSU is crappy and better ones are on sale for cheaper, and they use a full ATX case with a Micro ATX mobo.

If that $500 is your budget, look at what I posted earlier for the same price area:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vbZWjX

That uses a Micro ITX motherboard and case so it becomes very compact yet still capable, the CPU is leagues more powerful when overclocked (takes a few clicks in BIOS and can hit around 4.4ghz with the stock fan).

You could nab a used R9 280X with transferrable warranty from eBay (only get MSI, Asus, or Gigabyte) to save another $50 or so.

Or, you could completely forgo the video card, and upgrade to a 4690K and an orverclocking ITX board, and run those games from Integrated Graphics, all indie games, Civ 5 and RTS stuff like you listed will be fine with that. You could get a GPU later down the road and have something high-end for now.

If I do the 4690k, would I just use the same build as above, switch the processors out for something like: http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16819117372

And just not get the video card? Would I use the same case and motherboard as above?

Factory Factory posted:

The other $500 choice is to get a Dell Inspiron desktop and a GeForce 750 Ti (the "Penny Pincher" build from the OP). That includes Windows, too.

And if I did this option (which I looked at earlier), I could always upgrade things later too, right?

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 26, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you do the 4690K you can nab it from NewEgg (or cheaper at Microcenter if you have one local), and you would want the Z97 Asrock board since it has better components for overclocking.

If you get one of those Dells, you want a model with a full-size case so it can take a 750ti later on: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=fdcwrt201h&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop

Dell Outlet has good deals on those (that's Dell's refurb site) but they are totally cleaned out of stock from Xmas.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah if you do the 4690K you can nab it from NewEgg (or cheaper at Microcenter if you have one local), and you would want the Z97 Asrock board since it has better components for overclocking.

If you get one of those Dells, you want a model with a full-size case so it can take a 750ti later on: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=fdcwrt201h&model_id=inspiron-3847-desktop

Dell Outlet has good deals on those (that's Dell's refurb site) but they are totally cleaned out of stock from Xmas.

Yeah, they only have the mini cases right now. Hmmmm. I think I'm gonna go with that option just because I really don't need to play Battlefield 4 or Dragon Age:Inquisition on High settings or anything. If I just get the Dell you linked, I wouldn't need to get a 750ti until later on if I'm just doing indies, civ, and DotA, right?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Okay, so I'm finally getting around to replacing my 7-year-old rig (the GeForce 8800 GTS 512 served me ridiculously well and I've only just started finding that games are becoming legitimately unplayable at lower graphics settings). I've browsed through this thread and put together the following system:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qnVfRB

CPU
Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard
MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

Storage
Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (Basing my choice off of this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-8.html
where the 970 appears to be at a sweet spot just before a major dip in price/performance efficiency, however I know poo poo-all about graphics card so if you have any recommendations of what else to get and why, please let me know)

Case
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive
LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I'm basically looking for something that will last me a few good years of high-quality gaming (with the fact in mind that nothing is going to be future-proofed), however I'm very much about striking a happy balance between cost and performance. What I'd like by way of advice in relation to this is:

1. A general impression of the rig as a whole - is there anything glaring that I'm leaving out?

2. Advice as to if there's anywhere that I'm paying a premium for negligable performance increases.

3. Warnings about any compatibility issues. On that note, I'm getting a warning on pcpartpicker that states "The G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.". Is this simply an indication that there's likely to be a bottleneck, or am I going to fry my whole system?

I don't need to purchase any other peripherals, as I'm simply swapping out my old case.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That stuff is all fine but you really should step it up to an overclocking CPU like the 4690K if you're already dropping the money on a Z97 board and a 212 Evo. You can easily overclock from something like 3.5ghz up to 4.5ghz.

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, they only have the mini cases right now. Hmmmm. I think I'm gonna go with that option just because I really don't need to play Battlefield 4 or Dragon Age:Inquisition on High settings or anything. If I just get the Dell you linked, I wouldn't need to get a 750ti until later on if I'm just doing indies, civ, and DotA, right?

Yeah, you'd be fine for a while, search Youtube for real-world videos of the games you want to play on Integrated graphics, and remember the records take like 10fps out of each example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKB6O1TdMc

Dell should have some coupons to stack if you fish around. Dell Advantage gives you free shipping at 5% back as a gift card later, rebate sites like mrrebates.com or ebates.com give something like 5% cash back as well which can stack. Discover card also has clickthrough links which can give a large cashback for Dell.com

They also have free returns so not much to risk there. A little secret is if you call them and say you want to return the PC, they'll refund you like $100 to bribe you into keeping it.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 26, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I Have a i7-920 and a gtx780 with an ssd. I play in a 3440x1440 monitor. What's the best thing I can do to get smoother gameplay out of games like da:inquisition?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Zero VGS posted:

That stuff is all fine but you really should step it up to an overclocking CPU like the 4690K if you're already dropping the money on a Z97 board and a 212 Evo. You can easily overclock from something like 3.5ghz up to 4.5ghz.

I'm not all that au fait with overclocking: how easy will it be to do, and what impact is it likely to have on my system's lifespan?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Breetai posted:

2. Advice as to if there's anywhere that I'm paying a premium for negligable performance increases.

3. Warnings about any compatibility issues. On that note, I'm getting a warning on pcpartpicker that states "The G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.". Is this simply an indication that there's likely to be a bottleneck, or am I going to fry my whole system?

Besides the 4690K suggestion, you're paying a premium for near-nothing getting a Blu-Ray drive, unless you really, really need to rip (not play) Blu-Rays. BR playback requires extra software that costs a goodly amount of cash, generally $80 +/- $20.

The compatibility warning is overstating things. On Haswell, 1.65V RAM is perfectly tolerable. It's Sandy and Ivy Bridge that have longevity problems with it. There won't be a problem.

As for overclocking, it's really easy once you understand what you're doing (but that's the hard part). System lifespan... Well, if you expect the system to last 7 years, I wouldn't overclock until year 5. That's about when you'd start to need it, anyway. The exact lifespan impact depends on how far you overvolt the CPU and how intensively you use the system, with ~1.3V being as far as you want to go for 3 contiguous years of constant 100% load. If you only use the system as a weekend warrior, 3 contiguous years' worth of service can last you quite a while.

Sychocyde
Nov 26, 2007

I bought a Rosewill Capstone 650W PSU recently in order to run a Factory OC Geforce GTX 970, however, the PSU was a too large for the Dell XPS 8700 case (An unfortunate oversight on my part. Too long and too many cords). Does anyone have any solid recommendations for a PSU in the 550-600 (or 650w range if need be) that is smaller? I'm looking for something on the cheaper side so optimally within the $60-$80 range that the Capstone was in. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Forgot to add this. I'm in the US. I'm running with the XPS 8700, so the specs are accessible. I can grab them if you need them though. Also, I know for a fact that the card fits fine. Might just need some cables to reroute a few wires, but that might not even come up. Really, I just need to avoid the mess of cords/length of the Rosewill again! Probably going to be used mainly for gaming, with some work. But most of that will be reserved to basic stuff (word process, etc...) Sorry about forgetting the country/use!

Sychocyde fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 26, 2014

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, you'd be fine for a while, search Youtube for real-world videos of the games you want to play on Integrated graphics, and remember the records take like 10fps out of each example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKB6O1TdMc

Dell should have some coupons to stack if you fish around. Dell Advantage gives you free shipping at 5% back as a gift card later, rebate sites like mrrebates.com or ebates.com give something like 5% cash back as well which can stack. Discover card also has clickthrough links which can give a large cashback for Dell.com

They also have free returns so not much to risk there. A little secret is if you call them and say you want to return the PC, they'll refund you like $100 to bribe you into keeping it.

Just got a 3847 Bundle from Walmart since I had a gift card to use there. i5-4460, 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA HDD, and got a 24" monitor out of it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Cool. I'll go the 4690K suggestion as I'd like to eke out a little more performance at the end of its life cycle, but aside from that from what you're saying there's doesn't seem to be anything else amiss. Point taken on the optical, so I'll just go with a Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS as they seem to be cheap and cheerful but have a pretty good rep per their reviews.

Now it's just a matter of finding the parts in Australia without our ridiculous markups. :v:

Final rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QnfVZL

e: ahahaha the price difference http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/QnfVZL

Breetai fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 26, 2014

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I've been using an old store bought HP since 2011, I replaced its integrated Graphics card with a 550ti back when I got it and I could play most games at the time at max. I tried doing the same thing this year with a 750ti (it amazes me that its twice as powerful and almost half the size) but that didn't quite work this time. The bios on my model p7-1125 is not compatible with the new card, but I don't have a huge budget to just say gently caress it and just buy a new everything. What can I get away with cannibalizing from this computer and what should I be better off replacing since I have a chance right now? I don't need a huge beast that can chew up any game it comes across, just something that is adequate.

I know nothing about computers so please go easy on me.

EDIT- I actually bothered to read the OP now so give me some time to fill in some details.
What country are you in? United States.
What are you using the system for? Gaming and casual use.
What's your budget? 300 bucks is absolute max, 100 dollars would be ideal. Preferably I just want to replace one part and that is the motherboard I think, whatever the bios is a part of so that I can use my 750ti.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 26, 2014

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I plan on picking this up at my local Microcenter tomorrow :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nZ62ZL

Hoping the stock cooler with work due to the clearance restrictions in my case. Worst case I can omit the optical drive to make room for a larger cpu cooler.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=233&area=en

If need be I will upgrade to a bigger case but hoping I can fit everything in there.

PC will be used as a HTPC and 1080P gaming on a projector in my living room.

Anything obvious I screwed up on?

Megaman15
Jul 4, 2014
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2x) or 1 gtx 970 ? which one would i get

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Factory Factory posted:

Alternatively, you could go for a Silverstone Grandia GD06. It's pricey, and you have to watch the PSU clearance (probably best to go for one of Silverstone's own Strider units for their shorter length), but it's mATX and designed for that kind of space and the kind of acoustics one might want out of an HTPC.

What's the difference between the older GD06 and the newer 09 and 10? The reviews said they're a bit cheaper constructed and don't have soundproofing, but I didn't see sound-dampening materials on the inside of the 06 either.

I don't really care about hotswap bays or toolless assembly, which were the obvious parts they cut.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The 09 and 10 are tightly-packed ATX cases. Maybe they can fit, but I wanted to err on the side of smaller.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Legdiian posted:

I plan on picking this up at my local Microcenter tomorrow :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nZ62ZL

Hoping the stock cooler with work due to the clearance restrictions in my case. Worst case I can omit the optical drive to make room for a larger cpu cooler.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=233&area=en

If need be I will upgrade to a bigger case but hoping I can fit everything in there.

PC will be used as a HTPC and 1080P gaming on a projector in my living room.

Anything obvious I screwed up on?

You're putting high-end OC components into a htpc case which doesn't really have room for a proper OC capable heat sink.

You should either get a different case that will allow you to take advantage of the OC components or drop down to a non-k CPU and h97 MB.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

I Have a i7-920 and a gtx780 with an ssd. I play in a 3440x1440 monitor. What's the best thing I can do to get smoother gameplay out of games like da:inquisition?

The resolution is probably what's killing you. How much VRAM on the 780? DA:I uses almost all 4gb on my gtx970 at only 2560x1440. The i7-920 is pretty dated now too unfortunately. It kind of sucks needing to already upgrade from a 780 but that's a lot of pixels to fill. What settings are you playing at? Just lower it if you don't want to upgrade.

Megaman15 posted:

Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2x) or 1 gtx 970 ? which one would i get

I think we're starting to see R9 290's for around $200 which is a killer deal for the performance even though we tend to prefer the 970 here but it's $350. Note that 2x 290s are going to require a lot of power and put out a lot of heat.

E: I might be wrong on that 290 price but I thought I saw it.

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

If you like the Enthoo Evolv, the Enthoo Pro should be your first look. Nanoxia's DS1 and DS2 (DS2 being a budget variant of the DS1) should be next.

A few of your points make me think of the Silverstone Raven RV05 I just saw reviewed on AnandTech today. It's... Well, it's not particularly quiet, and it's not exactly minimal aesthetics, but if you like the FT02, you'd like a lot about the RV05.

The Define R5 is a quiet-first case. Your system would work fine in it and it'd be nicely quiet, but if you moved to an SLI setup you would need to mess with the fans to keep things properly chilled.

As for hard drive uptime disaster planning... I mean, everything you've suggested makes sense. It's just expensive to keep spare hardware to maintain uptime, which is why consumers usually don't (beyond maybe RAID 5 in a NAS).

The Lord Bude posted:

There's always the phanteks enthoo pro.

You don't need such a large wattage power supply if you only have one GPU - a 450 - 550w rosewill capstone-m is a perfectly good choice. If you're doing dual GPUs then I'd look into an EVGA Supernova NEX G2.

Thanks guys, I've taken a closer look at the Enthoo Pro and it might just be what I want. Since I'm a sucker for Silverstone products I'll reconsider/research the FT05 a little more; the RV05 is out just due to the styling. If I had to pull the trigger RIGHT NOW I'd get the Enthoo. Just dat 90 degree rotation of the Silverstone cases seems hard to give up now that I've used it.

Regarding the hard drives I'll probably order another EVO, maybe an 850 Pro and sell the RMA'd EVO, should Samsung grace me with a replacement. Would a WD Blue be an appropriate archive drive?

I'll take a closer look at the EVGA PSU as I previously game from SLI580s so I'm not opposed to SLI'ing in the future.

• Locked thread