Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

I just got a replacement for my drowned Nexus 5, and it doesn't want to upgrade past KitKat. The system update to Lollipop hasn't shown up after a day. Any clue why?
Sideload the update then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just give it a few days, it'll show up. Or sideload it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am fairly sure the phone only checks for an update once daily, has it been 24 hours or just a business day?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

I am fairly sure the phone only checks for an update once daily, has it been 24 hours or just a business day?
Presumably he went in and checked manually.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What's a good calorie / activity tracking app? It's that time of year again.

I still mostly use sms. It's a pain to try to sell people on something like whatsapp if they aren't already using it. And most of my friends are on Apple so very people have hangouts.

Everyone, regardless of what type of phone they have has sms. And for a lot of people it works so that's good enough.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Does anyone know of a PDFpen like app for android? I'm mainly interested in OCR for receipts.

Also are there any podcasts on the 5by5 level of quality/entertainment that are android centric?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

MyFitnessPal is the one I use and it seems pretty solid.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

I still mostly use sms. It's a pain to try to sell people on something like whatsapp if they aren't already using it. And most of my friends are on Apple so very people have hangouts.

Everyone, regardless of what type of phone they have has sms. And for a lot of people it works so that's good enough.

Seconding MyFitnessPal. It tracks calories (along with fat, sodium, cholesterol, etc), activities, has plugins for fitness trackers and pedometers, along with a couple of other nifty features, like a barcode reader for food products.

And it's free, to boot.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Tunga posted:

Presumably he went in and checked manually.

Yeah, it still hasn't shown up. Not the end of the world, I just thought Lollipop was fully deployed at this point, since I'd had it on my previous N5 for a couple weeks already at least. This one, I got the prompt to update to 4.4 right away, then nothing after that, even after a manual check.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Is it possible to get the Play Newsstand app to only show sources I'm subscribed to in the Read Now/Highlights feed? It throws in a bunch of articles from other sources I'm not interested in. I'd love a consolidated feed of all my subscriptions instead of having to look at each individually. I like the Newsstand format, so I'd like to stick with it if possible.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Is it possible to get the Play Newsstand app to only show sources I'm subscribed to in the Read Now/Highlights feed? It throws in a bunch of articles from other sources I'm not interested in. I'd love a consolidated feed of all my subscriptions instead of having to look at each individually. I like the Newsstand format, so I'd like to stick with it if possible.

Just use an actual RSS reader like feedly. Newsstand is all about discovering new info and sources.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations on SMS replacement apps? This Message+ thing on my Droid Turbo is really strange and I don't know if I like it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

OSheaman posted:

Any recommendations on SMS replacement apps? This Message+ thing on my Droid Turbo is really strange and I don't know if I like it.

EvolveSMS

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I really don't understand why Hangouts can't cache all the stickers so I don't have to spend five minutes every time waiting for them to load so I can find the one I want.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

OSheaman posted:

Textra is great

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

OSheaman posted:

People always come back and say Thanks after being pointed toward Textra.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just use an actual RSS reader like feedly. Newsstand is all about discovering new info and sources.

How does feedly compare to press?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there any app for sending text from my phone to my computer? Hopefully lighter than creating a new note in evernote or opening AirDroid.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

gmq posted:

Is there any app for sending text from my phone to my computer? Hopefully lighter than creating a new note in evernote or opening AirDroid.

EDIT Whoops you meant notes not SMS. Maybe PushBullet?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

gmq posted:

Definitely Pushbullet.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

OSheaman posted:

Textra is what Im using. I paid for Evolve but dropped after a week or so. I was sluggish and sent multiple MMS messages several times ( by multiple I mean over 100).

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Syrinxx posted:

This section should definitely include iSyncr because it's awesome and DoubleTwist is a piece of crap.
I'm considering iSyncr after not having had a lot of success with DoubleTwist and only some success with Easy Phone Tunes. I'm looking for a tool to do something fairly simple.

- Sync with my iTunes library, including whether I've checked the boxes to actually sync specific songs to my device. It seemed like DoubleTwist didn't support that - it just tried to copy my entire library rather than those I selected. I was able to use Easy Phone Tunes by moving the checked songs into a playlist, then syncing the playlist, but I'd rather have something that just acts more like my iPod and only copies checked songs to my device.
- Also copies only the podcasts I've downloaded to my iTunes.

Does iSyncr do those things?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Demon_Corsair posted:

How does feedly compare to press?

I haven't used Feedly's app in quite a while (since about the time Google Reader shut down), but I liked Press a lot more because I like to be able to view a list of the unread articles in each feed separately, and I coupons fine a good way to do that in Feedly's app.

On the subject of texting apps, does Texted have a popup? I've tried a few other ones after deciding 8sms didn't really fit in with Lollipop, but many of them don't have that ability. I'm currently using QKSMS, but it can be a bit flaky with group MMSs.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

EDIT Whoops you meant notes not SMS. Maybe PushBullet?

XIII posted:

Definitely Pushbullet.

Pushbullet works, although there's no app for Mac or Safari. :smith:
I'm curious about their business model, I hope it's not "Let's sell everything about our users".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gmq posted:

Pushbullet works, although there's no app for Mac or Safari. :smith:
I'm curious about their business model, I hope it's not "Let's sell everything about our users".
While OS X and Safari are promised in January, check out this post on Reddit.

Pushbullet is so great.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 27, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hooah posted:

I haven't used Feedly's app in quite a while (since about the time Google Reader shut down), but I liked Press a lot more because I like to be able to view a list of the unread articles in each feed separately, and I coupons fine a good way to do that in Feedly's app.

On the subject of texting apps, does Texted have a popup? I've tried a few other ones after deciding 8sms didn't really fit in with Lollipop, but many of them don't have that ability. I'm currently using QKSMS, but it can be a bit flaky with group MMSs.

EvolveSMS has a popup you can turn on.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!
Is there an app that will let me get the Cyanogenmod functionality of long pressing the volume keys while the screen is off to change tracks? I've tried a few that have you double tap the volume keys, but I find that I'm too well trained on long presses. Not to mention a few of them were flaky and would only work half the time.

Prize Loser fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 27, 2014

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Has chrome been buggy for anyone else lately? On my g2 it freezes it freezes the device when I open a site (any site). I've tried clearing data and cache but that hasn't helped. I've been using javelin in the mean time and it's been working fine for me. No other apps are giving me problems.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Prize Loser posted:

Is there an app that will let me get the Cyanogenmod functionality of long pressing the volume keys while the screen is off to change tracks? I've tried a few that have you double tap the volume keys, but I find that I'm too well trained on long presses. Not to mention a few of them were flaky and would only work half the time.

Xposed module Gravitybox gives me this functionality.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Grifter posted:

I'm considering iSyncr after not having had a lot of success with DoubleTwist and only some success with Easy Phone Tunes. I'm looking for a tool to do something fairly simple.

- Sync with my iTunes library, including whether I've checked the boxes to actually sync specific songs to my device. It seemed like DoubleTwist didn't support that - it just tried to copy my entire library rather than those I selected. I was able to use Easy Phone Tunes by moving the checked songs into a playlist, then syncing the playlist, but I'd rather have something that just acts more like my iPod and only copies checked songs to my device.
- Also copies only the podcasts I've downloaded to my iTunes.

Does iSyncr do those things?

iSyncr has a checkbox to only copy checked items from iTunes. Not quite sure what exactly you mean by "only the podcasts I've download." You can download the non-pro version to test it out. It's limited to 100 files per playlist, but it will let you see if you'll be happy with it. I bought it a couple weeks ago to sync a phone with a 128gb MicroSDHC card and I've been happy with it. My only complaint is that Rocket Player, made by the same people, seems to be the only player that will use iTunes 5 star ratings system, but I think that's an Android limitation. Rocket Player works fine, but the UI is pretty meh.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

How is this easier than just syncing your music to Google Music and using playlists and pins to put things on the device? Why go through all the hoops associated with wired syncing when both the host and client software is actively working to oppose your efforts?

Hell, it's easier to just c/p your whole music folder into your storage than to deal with all of this bullshit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

iSyncr has a checkbox to only copy checked items from iTunes. Not quite sure what exactly you mean by "only the podcasts I've download." You can download the non-pro version to test it out. It's limited to 100 files per playlist, but it will let you see if you'll be happy with it. I bought it a couple weeks ago to sync a phone with a 128gb MicroSDHC card and I've been happy with it. My only complaint is that Rocket Player, made by the same people, seems to be the only player that will use iTunes 5 star ratings system, but I think that's an Android limitation. Rocket Player works fine, but the UI is pretty meh.

How much was the 128 GB card?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

How is this easier than just syncing your music to Google Music and using playlists and pins to put things on the device? Why go through all the hoops associated with wired syncing when both the host and client software is actively working to oppose your efforts?

Hell, it's easier to just c/p your whole music folder into your storage than to deal with all of this bullshit.

Google music doesn't let you pin the whole library to your phone. Kinda sucks, you have to make playlists with all your music (that are limited to 1000 songs each) and add your songs to em, then pin. Very annoying, I have a big rear end SD card just let me choose a checkbox to pin my entire library to it and be done :argh:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

How much was the 128 GB card?

They're about $100, but I found a $20 off $100 coupon pre-christmas so I only paid like $80.

LastInLine posted:

If you're heavily invested in iTunes and how it does things (Ratings, smart playlists, etc.) this can be a better option. I loving hate iTunes, but I'd used a 160GB iPod Classic since 2007, so I had a ton of data built in there. My collection is far too big for Google Music anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Google music doesn't let you pin the whole library to your phone. Kinda sucks, you have to make playlists with all your music (that are limited to 1000 songs each) and add your songs to em, then pin. Very annoying, I have a big rear end SD card just let me choose a checkbox to pin my entire library to it and be done :argh:
I didn't know about the thousand track limit. Kind of arbitrary and dumb given that you're limited to 20,000 tracks total anyway.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you're heavily invested in iTunes and how it does things (Ratings, smart playlists, etc.) this can be a better option. I loving hate iTunes, but I'd used a 160GB iPod Classic since 2007, so I had a ton of data built in there. My collection is far too big for Google Music anyway.
I wasn't aware DoubleTwist or iSyncr did Smart Playlists. I know they didn't back in the Froyo days which is the last time I tried DoubleTwist. I like iTunes quite a bit and of course still use it to buy and manage music, but trying to make Android work like an iOS device is just never going to work well like you'd want it to.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
what would be the best offline map app?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

program666 posted:

what would be the best offline map app?

Here (Beta) Maps. Any offline maps for anywhere in the world. Free. And speed limit signs. Perfect.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

^ I haven't played around with Here Maps much on Android, but on Windows Phone it's loving amazing.

LastInLine posted:

I didn't know about the thousand track limit. Kind of arbitrary and dumb given that you're limited to 20,000 tracks total anyway.
I wasn't aware DoubleTwist or iSyncr did Smart Playlists. I know they didn't back in the Froyo days which is the last time I tried DoubleTwist. I like iTunes quite a bit and of course still use it to buy and manage music, but trying to make Android work like an iOS device is just never going to work well like you'd want it to.

Admittedly, they somewhat hack smart playlists (create a M3U file based on the playlist), but it functions more or less the same. They also have the ability to build smart playlists in iSyncr, although the editor is pretty esoteric and I haven't figured out how to do much except for make a 4+ star playlist.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

^ I haven't played around with Here Maps much on Android, but on Windows Phone it's loving amazing.

I use both platforms, so I was pleased to see it free on Android. It's actually better as it has HD voices (rather than the computer-y ones on WP).

Fantastic software with literally zero downsides. Glad to see it on Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I guess this depends on what part of the world you are in but where I am the quality of the maps is fairly poor compared to Google.

• Locked thread