Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Echophonic posted:

I'd love a better storage system for those American Mini cards. I have tuckboxes I put together for Battlestar Galactica, but other games are a problem.

Yeah, I investigated tuck boxes, but they ones I'm seeing seem to be sized for unsleeved cards; also I'm terrible at arts and crafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

GMarshal posted:

I'm considering getting Mage Knight, as my understanding is that it can be played solo. Can someone give me the rundown on the pros and cons of the game? Does it work well solo? Conversely, does it transition well to multiplayer?

It works both great both solo and multiplayer, which can also be either competitive or co-op, and is a great game overall. When you're playing it solo you've actually got a dummy player who's not on the board itself, but running through its deck as a means of a sort of timer for the rounds to force you to play efficiently like you would in a multiplayer game.

I'd say really outside of the specifics of the gameplay the pros and cons can be summed up with the same statement; it's kind of a big game. The setup and tear down takes a little while, it's going to take up a lot of table space, and also take up a pretty good amount of time. There are a lot of different elements, but like people have said in here before any given one is going to be straightforward. The trick is just remembering them all, and even when you're comfortable with the game there's going to be a lot of passing around of the multiple rulebooks and reference cards. It's super satisfying because it's so dense, and it's one of my favorite games but it doesn't hit the table as much as I'd like because when you've got a few people you're committing to multiple hours of fairly heavy gameplay time. It's something you've got to play earlier in the session when everyone's still alert and engaged.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
In my experience it's not so much something you play earlier in the session as something you play for the entire session, unless your boardgame get togethers occupy entire days. As I've said before, last time I played it, with three players, it took roughly 8 hours from setup to teardown. With two it's been more like four or five. I've heard that if you really get it down cold you can get in a session in 3-4, but I think you'd need to play it a fair bit for that. That said, that 8 hour session is the single most fulfilling boardgaming experience I have had in my entire life.

I'd recommend the expansion for solo or coop play because it introduces General Volkare, who is a more interesting opposition force than the dummy player. And of course introduces more variety to all the existing mechanics, which is generally nice.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
One final point about Kemet: the rule book makes it sound like you deal out 6 cards to each player randomly. The battle cards have tiny coloured markings on the edges; each player is meant to get an identical deck (with two special ones associated with power tiles).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I picked that up from the video. The Kemet rulebook isn't exactly unclear but it doesn't go into quite as much detail as I would like it to.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It seems to me that the only reason to play Mage Knight solo is to study the different decks and buyable cards. It's just too much investment for the kind of solo experience that you can get from some video game (Heroes of of Might and Magic, Endless Legend, digital versions of M:tG etc). It's true though that, barring M:tG, none of these games can offer the kind of puzzle of trying to get the right numbers with your lovely hand to kill that dragon you just flipped, but it's still much better when you have other people yelling at you to just finish your turn already.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

malkav11 posted:

It did? I don't see that anywhere on the main page or in any of the updates. Did they say something about it in the video? (I never watch KS videos.)

It was one of the extras, though I don't know whether it was an extra on its own or an add-on to the main DL Aniversary Edittion. I got DL Anniversary Edition, Petz and Dark Alleys for $204 delivered. Worth it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

GMarshal posted:

I'm considering getting Mage Knight, as my understanding is that it can be played solo. Can someone give me the rundown on the pros and cons of the game? Does it work well solo? Conversely, does it transition well to multiplayer?

My only caveat with the game, besides the "big" thing is that in competitive it suffers from a runaway leader problem. As players get stronger, the first player can totally shut down the later ones scooping up all the loot/monsters and leave the other one without anything to do. This may depends on the map setup and isn't very common, but it's a thing to be aware of.

8 hours for 3 players seems excessive, though.

Some charitable soul gifted me Cadwallon: City of Thieves. Anyone care to give me the bullet points?

EDIT: quick scan of the rules shows a very light game with more thought spent on the minis than the mechanics. Oh, well, I can get some mileage out of it playing with my younger cousins today after dinner. Can't fault the intention.

You have made a snob out of me, board game thread.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 25, 2014

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

malkav11 posted:

It did? I don't see that anywhere on the main page or in any of the updates. Did they say something about it in the video? (I never watch KS videos.)

Yes, it was included in tiers $170 and above. Since I already had DL and DL:FS, I just wanted the $55 upgrade tier. If they had instead gone with the add-on option, I would have grabbed it and its expansion. I even messaged them about it, asking for it to be added as an add-on choice, and they replied "Sorry, but we wanted this KS to be a simple one with no add-ons"...

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I picked that up from the video. The Kemet rulebook isn't exactly unclear but it doesn't go into quite as much detail as I would like it to.

Kemet Supplementary Rules By Chas explains most of the things rulebook glossed over in better detail. With that and the Comprehensive FAQ from all the threads to date you probably should cover everything.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 25, 2014

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rexides posted:

It seems to me that the only reason to play Mage Knight solo is to study the different decks and buyable cards. It's just too much investment for the kind of solo experience that you can get from some video game (Heroes of of Might and Magic, Endless Legend, digital versions of M:tG etc). It's true though that, barring M:tG, none of these games can offer the kind of puzzle of trying to get the right numbers with your lovely hand to kill that dragon you just flipped, but it's still much better when you have other people yelling at you to just finish your turn already.

Uhhhh gently caress that? The only reason? Maybe someone actually likes Mage Knight and wants to play it instead of HoMM? Or, for that matter, one can want to play two different games that are in the same genre because they're different?

Why would digital versions of Magic be even remotely similar?

Basically, I disagree with the premise of this post.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Basically, Mage Knight scratches the itch that used to be scratched by video games for me. I really dislike any sort of real-time element in video games, and most of them have this to some extend. HoMM is a notable exception, but even Diablo has real-time elements. And other than that I really want to play Diablo. So, I got Mage Knight (from the recommendations in the previous thread), and I enjoy it a lot. It has thinking and interesting decisions, not time pressure and it can be played with friends too! And you don't get the randomness that most video games (including HoMM) have in damagedealing: Each a attack does a fixed amount of damage, not "67-76" or whatever. This is a huge plus for me.

Also, to me, it being a tactile experience is nice. I enjoy flipping cards, moving minis and pushing cardboard. I enjoy moving the tokens on the tracks to see how awesome my dude is. Basically, touching stuff makes me happy.

Strangely, I enjoy time-pressure in board games, like Galaxy Trucker, Escape and Space Alert. Maybe because it's more social when stuff goes wrong?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
What's the best co-op game for two players? I'm a wargame turbosperg but i'd like a co-op boardgame i can play with my wife and maybe one or two friends occasionally. I own Arkham (which she likes but it it Arkham and thus takes a loving eternity) and Space Alert (Which is fun but not really the best for 2 players)

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Illegal Username posted:

What's the best co-op game for two players? I'm a wargame turbosperg but i'd like a co-op boardgame i can play with my wife and maybe one or two friends occasionally. I own Arkham (which she likes but it it Arkham and thus takes a loving eternity) and Space Alert (Which is fun but not really the best for 2 players)

Pandemic has been a hit with my GF but you, she's a scientist so she likes the theme.

It's also easy to set up and explain to new players, but suffers from quarterbacking.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Uhhhh gently caress that? The only reason? Maybe someone actually likes Mage Knight and wants to play it instead of HoMM? Or, for that matter, one can want to play two different games that are in the same genre because they're different?

Why would digital versions of Magic be even remotely similar?

Basically, I disagree with the premise of this post.

Maybe I should have said "The only reason *I* would play solo MG" instead? I totally get why these are different games to people who have played all of them, but assuming that the person asking has no idea about MG's gameplay and is asking because he is interested in some solo kill-dudes-and-level-up experience (I could be wrong), I offered a different perspective.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
A little BoardGameArena Christmas present for everyone appears to be Tash-Kalar! I'm pretty excited about this as I haven't gotten Tash-Kalar to the table as often as I'd like, so I was really hoping it would eventually show up on BGA to give me some quick and easy opportunities to get plays in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Illegal Username posted:

Strangely enough given the other topic at hand, Mage Knight is a very good co-op game and good with two players.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, MG co-op is awesome, and I think that I am grabbing the expansion next time it shows up in some local store.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Lord of the Rings LCG is also a nice 2-player co-op.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

8 hours for 3 players seems excessive, though.

I should mention that we were playing the Epic version of the Volkare's Return scenario. That probably played a significant part in how long that took.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Illegal Username posted:

I think given those criteria, you'll have to think about if you want a quarterbacking game like Lord of the Rings or Pandemic. Those are games that are good if players are equally invested, but if one is an expert they turn into boss-people-around sessions. If you think that will be the case, you may be better off with a time-limit or hidden-info co-op like Hanabi or Escape Curse of the Temple.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If two people are learning the game together, and don't mind the game being a kind of meta-campaign of "learn how to survive, then learn how to win", then Robinson Crusoe is a great 2-player game, as long as you either use the dog, or just a third player character that you decide how to use between you.

It is, however, not recommended for anyone who doesn't like co-op games where risk management is a big part of if you win or not. (Which is, personally, what I think is happening when people say RC is too luck-based.)

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I got the Resistance expansion stuff from the kickstarter yesterday. I can't tell if these rules are just badly written / have errors, or if I'm stupid and not understanding something.

In the Hunter module, during the investigation phase, the rules say this:

quote:

The player under Investigation is given the Hunter Loyalty cards then selects the card that corresponds to their Character card and hands that card to the Investigator.

* The resistance Chief must show the Chief (5 to 6 players) or resistance Chief (7 or more players) loyalty card
* The spy Chief must show the Chief or spy Chief card
* All other players must show the Not a Chief card

I'm assuming the spy chief part is an error, and he should be going by the same player-count idea as the resistance Chief.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Reading about these co-op games reminded me that I backed the Escape: Curse of the Temple Big Box kickstarter. Just went to the site for the first time in a while...

Looks like they really poo poo the bed with that one. Misprinted cards, some are shipping without certain components. I don't know all the details but I guess they're finally shipping out soon with missing components coming later? Frustrating! That they run like 300 KSs at once bugs me too

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Thanks for the suggestions. We've actually played Pandemic at a friend's place. The premise was fun but i don't know about the replayability? Both of us and most of us are pretty chill so quarterbackign won't be a problem (probably)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's definitely variations on the same puzzle, but I had a lot of replays with Pandemic.

As a flat out better game with all the same stuff, I highly recommend Forbidden Desert. It even looks pretty.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've mostly been getting casual party games over the past year or so, but I was thinking about getting something weightier. I have 50 dollars on my Amazon account, and want to put at least some of that towards a board game. My favorite game of all time is Dominion, so Temporum seemed like a logical next step. I know that 7 Wonders is lighter, but is probably easier to teach and more extensible for seating players. I've also never done a worker placement game before, so I was also looking for good first steps into the genre. I'd like to optimize against these factors between those three options:

• Price. Can't be over 50, and ideally less.
  • Accessibility. Most of the people I would be playing with tend towards the less intense side of board gaming. All of them like Dominion and Catan, but I feel like that's the upper limit.
  • Time. I'd like to keep a session at around 45 minutes to an hour.
  • Extensibility. Expansions are a plus.

Any opinions based on that?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Illegal Username posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. We've actually played Pandemic at a friend's place. The premise was fun but i don't know about the replayability? Both of us and most of us are pretty chill so quarterbacking won't be a problem (probably)

It's not really about being chill, it's about solving a puzzle together when one person already knows the answer. You either solo the game while evenings watches, or you bite your tongue as your partners screw everything up. But if you're all experienced then it won't necessarily be a problem.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sector_corrector posted:

Munchkin! :j:

(Please don't actually buy Munchkin.)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

Have you played The Resistance? It's a social deduction game, weightier than a "casual" party game but still accessible, and flexible with respect to group size.

Aside from that, my favorite worker placement is Archipelago, but that's probably a few hours outside your wheelhouse. :( Within the 45min range, I think Dominion is still the king.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poison Mushroom posted:

When I was first getting into the hobby (before it got really popular and lots of information was widely available) I got Munchkin thinking "This will be a fun, quick, lighthearted family game." We played it once. So I'm sad to say that I actually do own a copy of Munchkin (in storage at my parents' house), but have only wasted about an hour actually playing it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I've mostly been getting casual party games over the past year or so, but I was thinking about getting something weightier. I have 50 dollars on my Amazon account, and want to put at least some of that towards a board game. My favorite game of all time is Dominion, so Temporum seemed like a logical next step. I know that 7 Wonders is lighter, but is probably easier to teach and more extensible for seating players. I've also never done a worker placement game before, so I was also looking for good first steps into the genre. I'd like to optimize against these factors between those three options:

• Price. Can't be over 50, and ideally less.
  • Accessibility. Most of the people I would be playing with tend towards the less intense side of board gaming. All of them like Dominion and Catan, but I feel like that's the upper limit.
  • Time. I'd like to keep a session at around 45 minutes to an hour.
  • Extensibility. Expansions are a plus.

Castles of Burgundy
Dominion expansions?
Stone Age
Forge War

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Or do because it's really fun and great to laugh at unless the people you play with get mad easily.

Adventure Time Munchkin just came out and it's awesome! Even more friendly for casual players.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well we made it 24 pages folk, it was a good run.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goodness posted:

Or do because it's really fun and great to laugh at unless the people you play with get mad easily.

Adventure Time Munchkin just came out and it's awesome! Even more friendly for casual players.

I'd rather stab myself in the face than give more money to the people who make Munchkin, much less themed Munchkin, MUCH much less Adventure Time themed Munchkin.

But thank you for your rec.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I dunno, Steve Jackson is not actually a bad guy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A Facebook friend of mine from college recently posted a photo of Adventure Time Munchkin and a bottle of alcohol saying "Floor party!"

I bit my tongue REALLY hard. Metaphorically.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
There is one thing you can say about Munchkin: at least it's not CaH :shrug:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

CaH at least ends when you want it to.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

It's definitely variations on the same puzzle, but I had a lot of replays with Pandemic.

As a flat out better game with all the same stuff, I highly recommend Forbidden Desert. It even looks pretty.

I wonder if Forbidden Desert is actually flat out better than Pandemic with expansions. I can't say I've played Forbidden Desert or Pandemic with In the Lab (and isn't there a third out/coming soon? Or am I thinking of the dice game?), so I can't personally judge, but it sounds like expanded Pandemic would be a richer experience, to me. Not that there aren't plenty of coop games I'd rather play over any of Leacock's trio, starting with Flash Point and culminating with Mage Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

sector_corrector posted:

I'd rather stab myself in the face than give more money to the people who make Munchkin, much less themed Munchkin, MUCH much less Adventure Time themed Munchkin.

But thank you for your rec.

You don't like adventure time? :negative: