Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

All DW Christmas stories are cack because the Doctor shouldn't be celebrating Christmas, IMHO :colbert:

So not Merry Christmas to all of us at home then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So not Merry Christmas to all of us at home then

That was a Christmas wish from Bill Hartnell :v:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You have all chosen poorly.

EDIT - Dammit everyone who replied while I was putting my pictures together!

The_Doctor posted:

I just realised I didn't put a note or any identifier in my package about who it's from. :doh:

In a totally unrelated note, I received a package from some unknown person the other day... with the seal of Rassilon on it!

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to take action shots of all the awesome swag until today.

Awesome 50th anniversary books and a tiny Adipose!

And in honor of my avatar and era of choice:

Do you think it would be all right if I... kissed Peter?

YES... *click*

A witty rejoinder to my declaration that the only good "shrinking TARDIS" story is the one where the First Doctor found out how to start very small fires:

And best of all... official Ark in Space cosplay fabric!

Thank you, whoever you are! Certainly not The_Doctor - he'd have remembered to put his name on there!

Thank you, The_Doctor, you're a hero to the thread year after year, and this time you got to be mine!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That was a Christmas wish from Bill Hartnell :v:

You say that as if Bill Hartnell wasn't the Doctor for real

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
the big finish humble bundle is up!!

You get the first two series of Dalek Empire at the least; the third series if you pay above the average and the first series of The Lost Stories if you pay above $15. That's pretty good: especially since apparently they're putting more up next Wednesday...

e: also all of the charity share is going to Doctors without borders instead of going to all of their charities. A nice touch tbh

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

When does the latest series tend to show up on any of the streaming services(in America)? My friend hasn't seen season 8 and it's killing me.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 24, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Burkion posted:

And even if he DIDN'T find out til late, why he could always just go back in time and take her at an earlier point to a hospital or something!

Or would that be violating the laws of time and loving space?

Why doesn't the Doctor solve every problem in every episode ever by time-traveling back to the start of the episode and undoing every conflict before it even happens?

What is this time travel bullshit anyway?

RodShaft posted:

When does the latest series tend to show up on any of the streaming services(in America)? My friend hasn't seen season 8 and it's killing me.

I'd guess it will show up on Netflix, et. al., once season 9 starts airing, though you might get lucky and have it show up sooner. If you have a cable system, it might be on its on demand service already, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

docbeard posted:

Why doesn't the Doctor solve every problem in every episode ever by time-traveling back to the start of the episode and undoing every conflict before it even happens?

What is this time travel bullshit anyway?

It's an episode about going back in time and changing the past repeatedly to get a desired result, so the things the Doctor didn't do are well within the conceit of the episode.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's really weird because in every other episode time travel does not work by the present changing over the course of an hour as years of the past are rewritten.

We get a lot of the doctor yelling THIS IS A FIXED POINT and about how if you meet yourself you'll explode and the gist p much the same a lot of the time except here.

Time can be rewritten except when it can't I guess.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 24, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I just pretend that the rules are consistent, but they aren't simple. They merely seem arbitrary and self-contradictory to me because my puny human brain can't comprehend the complexities of 12 dimensional space.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Acne Rain posted:

This is basically the reason that the Doctor can't take the sick woman to the weird catperson hospital or do any number of things, because he can't screw with history when the plot demands it, and that's totally fine. "Fixed Points" is as good an "explanation" as it needs and a monster of the week show needn't get bogged down in the moral conundrums of rewriting history or pulling people out of their times every episode.

The Christmas Carol episode is great. Doctor Who is just the kind of show to showcase and celebrate the sentimental cliches of the original Dickens story and the time travel works nicely into the story. It's also acted well. It is the third best Christmas Carol adaptation, behind A Muppet Christmas Carol and the play adaptation I was in when I was eight years old and played Tiny Tim and other characters (which was obviously the best one).

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
"A Christmas Carol was poo poo unlike [insert special that had less to do with Christmas than Die Hard]"

Some real bad Christmas special opinions in this thread.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
My favorite special Christmas was the one where Uncle T. Bakes got into a drunken argument with Cousin Smith and then passed out on my couch for a week.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It is the third best Christmas Carol adaptation, behind A Muppet Christmas Carol and the play adaptation I was in when I was eight years old and played Tiny Tim and other characters (which was obviously the best one).

What about Mickey's Christmas Carol?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The new Humble Books Bundle is a set of Who audiobooks: https://www.humblebundle.com/books

No idea if any of 'em are any good, but there they are.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

After The War posted:

Thank you, The_Doctor, you're a hero to the thread year after year, and this time you got to be mine!

Glad you like! :) I only organise it, thank you all for taking part!

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Bicyclops posted:

This is basically the reason that the Doctor can't take the sick woman to the weird catperson hospital or do any number of things, because he can't screw with history when the plot demands it, and that's totally fine. "Fixed Points" is as good an "explanation" as it needs and a monster of the week show needn't get bogged down in the moral conundrums of rewriting history or pulling people out of their times every episode.

The Christmas Carol episode is great. Doctor Who is just the kind of show to showcase and celebrate the sentimental cliches of the original Dickens story and the time travel works nicely into the story. It's also acted well. It is the third best Christmas Carol adaptation, behind A Muppet Christmas Carol and the play adaptation I was in when I was eight years old and played Tiny Tim and other characters (which was obviously the best one).

What about Scrooged?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

PantsOptional posted:

The new Humble Books Bundle is a set of Who audiobooks: https://www.humblebundle.com/books

No idea if any of 'em are any good, but there they are.

Perfect! I'm doing another cross country trip in January and a bunch more traveling first quarter for work. I wasn't going to bug the thread again for suggestions, so this is perfect.

(Neil Gaiman's A Study in Emerald is a really good alternate Holmes story for anyone into that kinda thing)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

I always took it as the same reason Four takes them into the future in Pyramids of Mars: They get to present day and it's a smoking wasteland because they didn't stop Sutekh in 1912. Incidentally though, I'm a big fan of The Christmas Carol too :allears:.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fifteen bucks for all that Doctor Who is a steal. Gonna listen to a lot of Colin Baker this month. Hopefully I'll like the Dalek Empire stories.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm not much for comics, but this is one that I might just go for. These are the stories I most wanted to see that I think they dropped the ball on. That was the best TARDIS team in forever, with the addition of Jack, a hypercompetent action hero from the future who could perform the Steven/Turlough role of action hero with knowledge of technology and aliens, a nicely different perspective than the usual 20th century companion. The fact that we only got a couple of episodes (along with RTD dangling Jack "returning" for a whole season only to yank him away again) was always a disappointment.

I also like the fact that we know so much more about these characters, that their arcs are "over." I find myself leery of buying any books with the current Doctor (whoever he may be at the time) because I don't believe these authors know what Moffat et al have planned for the storyline so it's all kind of speculative and can be contradicted easily. OTOH, we know all about who 9 really is in relation to the Time War, where Rose and Jack end up, etc. It gives these stories some nice parameters to work in, if that makes sense. It's kind of like what we see in Big Finish. I feel the same way about that too, incidentally. I'd subscribe immediately to any 10th or 11th Doctor runs, but would have less interest in a Capaldi audio series unless I knew they were working with Moffat on it or something.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Fifteen bucks for all that Doctor Who is a steal. Gonna listen to a lot of Colin Baker this month. Hopefully I'll like the Dalek Empire stories.

It is indeed a great deal, but...that's a really odd selection if they're looking to reel in new customers, which you'd think the prestige of the Humble Bundle would be able to do. I think it would be a better idea to have a curated section of audios, mostly from the first fifty that are cheap anyway, as the pay anything, and then maybe some Dalek Empire stuff or Lost Stories or maybe newer stories from the main range as the more expensive stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, the Lost Stories ARE the $15 tier stuff, so they did do that, but yeah, kinda weird to go with Dalek Empire. Though isn't Briggs really proud of that series?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Well, the Lost Stories ARE the $15 tier stuff, so they did do that, but yeah, kinda weird to go with Dalek Empire. Though isn't Briggs really proud of that series?

I figured they used them since apparently Tennant is in them, and they could use that to reel people in.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
This just makes me wish Big Finish had an app similar to Humble Bundles so it was nice and easy to get their stuff straight to my phone and into my Google Music account.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Astroman posted:

I'm not much for comics, but this is one that I might just go for. These are the stories I most wanted to see that I think they dropped the ball on. That was the best TARDIS team in forever, with the addition of Jack, a hypercompetent action hero from the future who could perform the Steven/Turlough role of action hero with knowledge of technology and aliens, a nicely different perspective than the usual 20th century companion. The fact that we only got a couple of episodes (along with RTD dangling Jack "returning" for a whole season only to yank him away again) was always a disappointment.

I also like the fact that we know so much more about these characters, that their arcs are "over." I find myself leery of buying any books with the current Doctor (whoever he may be at the time) because I don't believe these authors know what Moffat et al have planned for the storyline so it's all kind of speculative and can be contradicted easily. OTOH, we know all about who 9 really is in relation to the Time War, where Rose and Jack end up, etc. It gives these stories some nice parameters to work in, if that makes sense. It's kind of like what we see in Big Finish. I feel the same way about that too, incidentally. I'd subscribe immediately to any 10th or 11th Doctor runs, but would have less interest in a Capaldi audio series unless I knew they were working with Moffat on it or something.

At the same time, we know about the War Doctor, who I sneakily suspect might cameo in flashback form since it apparently focuses on leftover technology from the Time War.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuBJ5H9m3Sc

Happy doctor who special day

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Let's all watch the best Doctor Who Christmas Special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSDD-YiGaE

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Dear thread title: yes. Yes it is

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Acne Rain posted:

It's really weird because in every other episode time travel does not work by the present changing over the course of an hour as years of the past are rewritten.

We get a lot of the doctor yelling THIS IS A FIXED POINT and about how if you meet yourself you'll explode and the gist p much the same a lot of the time except here.

The real reason is that it's based on a short story Moffat wrote for the Virgin books years before where the 7th Doc did exactly the same thing, except to a librarian, just so she'd let him have a book she wasn't supposed to lend him.

What a dick.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Let's all watch the best Doctor Who Christmas Special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSDD-YiGaE

Why is this real?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Merry Christmas, thread! My wife is awesome.

WHAT IS THIS YAHT-ZEE. EX-PLAIN. EX-PLAIN!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always took it as the same reason Four takes them into the future in Pyramids of Mars: They get to present day and it's a smoking wasteland because they didn't stop Sutekh in 1912. Incidentally though, I'm a big fan of The Christmas Carol too :allears:.

To be sure, Pyramids is just a quick trip into the alternate timeline and back, Back to the Future 2-style. And it's so Tom can get his inner Jewish mother on. "There's the ruins of planet Earth, Sarah. Are you happy? Are you satisfied?!"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

sunsweet posted:

Why is this real?

Why wouldn't it be?

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So my dad and step-mom got me the Doctor Who Lost in Time collection and The Beginning collection for Christmas. Right now, I'm digging into The Crusade, and I have to ask who is the character replacing Susan?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Thunderfinger posted:

So my dad and step-mom got me the Doctor Who Lost in Time collection and The Beginning collection for Christmas. Right now, I'm digging into The Crusade, and I have to ask who is the character replacing Susan?

Vicki. She's from the 25th century and she's pretty cool. A lot of people just say she's a "replacement Susan" but I liked her. The actress who plays her, Maureen O'Brien, is great at channeling her younger self in the audios nowadays as well.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
EDIT: ^ Yep, Vicki's great. She's almost a better Susan than Susan ever was.

Just a few more minutes to go! Merry Christmas and/or other related holidays, Who thread nerds.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Here we go here we go.

Who has a door going onto their roof like that?

This is a very David Brent Santa.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PURGE <-- Alien reference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hand shaped aliens that cling to your face..? Um.

• Locked thread