Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

IronicDongz posted:

I'll be honest, I don't even know what arrows you're talking about. I mean, I usually avoid lovely maps, but...

When somebody takes the intelligence, the HUD arrow showing where your flag's capture point changes to where the person holding the flag is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I keep on getting the "no matching blueprint' message while trying to craft catapults. What gives?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Roger Explosion posted:

I keep on getting the "no matching blueprint' message while trying to craft catapults. What gives?

Did you _just_ update? I had to update and then restart before I could craft the new weapons because I kept getting the same error.

Also are the new stranges not marketable or something?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dr. Dos posted:

Did you _just_ update? I had to update and then restart before I could craft the new weapons because I kept getting the same error.

Also are the new stranges not marketable or something?

They've started delaying when you can trade or sell brand-new items when they've just been released to prevent them from being sold at high prices at release.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scyantific posted:

I spent 2.50 once and got an unusual.

That's worth absolutely nothing even though it looks legitimately cool. :negative::negative::negative:
Its gotta be worth more than the $2.50 you paid for it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Scyantific posted:

I spent 2.50 once and got an unusual.

That's worth absolutely nothing even though it looks legitimately cool. :negative::negative::negative:

Well, if it's worth nothing, I'll take it off your hands, friend.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Scyantific posted:

A thirst blood with the green fire isn't worthless, pal.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Dr. Dos posted:

Nope. Updated when it first went live and I've since restarted a couple of times. I recall having the same issue a few weeks ago when I tried to rebuild some hats.

Edit: figured it out! Had to do a custom blueprint first.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 25, 2014

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

so did grapple-ctf mode effectively kill "robot death in space" mode? Because I was liking that map even if the game mode was kind meh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Peanut President posted:

In this race-to-the-bottom mannconomy, apparently it is, I couldn't even sell it for a handful of buds for months. :(

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If it's still worth even half a bud, it's worth dozen of dollars, which counts as a winning roll on the slot machine in my book. Some jackpots are larger than others.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Ouch.

edit: also what the guy above me said.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

LLCoolJD posted:

I've been playing a lot of 2Fort lately. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of players don't realize the little arrows tell you which exit the enemy is going to use to escape with the intel.

Yep. I play on the ukcs 2fort server and the amount of enemy folks who pick up dropped Intel without knowing [noobs new to ctf], end up bringing it back to OUR base.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2LhXOtsTLY&hd=1

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

In this race-to-the-bottom mannconomy, apparently it is, I couldn't even sell it for a handful of buds for months. :(

As a prospective buyer of flashy hats, I'm glad of this economy

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

This. I *almost* got away with a Max Head + Scorching Tossle + Burning Flames Le Party Phantom the moment they were getting unboxed, but then the loving guy turned out to be some furry 4chan loser who kept trying to lowball me and change the deal.

I still feel bad for making Captain Invictus have to deal with that guy :smith:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

IronicDongz posted:

I'll be honest, I don't even know what arrows you're talking about. I mean, I usually avoid lovely maps, but...

I love 2Fort. :reject: What next, a thumbs down on Facing Worlds?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

LLCoolJD posted:

I love 2Fort. :reject: What next, a thumbs down on Facing Worlds?

2fort is a bad map. But it's the best kind of bad map, because it's a fun bad map, like Dustbowl.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Theta Zero posted:

2fort is a bad map. But it's the best kind of bad map, because it's a fun bad map, like Dustbowl.

From a more technical aspect how is it poor? I've never designed maps, but for the usual player count per team it seems pretty well suited to CTF play.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

LLCoolJD posted:

From a more technical aspect how is it poor? I've never designed maps, but for the usual player count per team it seems pretty well suited to CTF play.

The problem is that more often than not the game is in an absolute standstill that rewards defensive play and punishes offensive pushes. Additionally, the classes have very isolated and localized optimal positions that don't allow for much variation in gameplay. You don't see a sniper away from the battlements or a Scout succeed in combat outside of the middle bridge very often. Additionally, there's no middle-ground between wide-open or cramped and enclosed.

The only wins I've seen on 2fort are either outright steamrolls or a barely and slowly eked out victory by a sneaky Scout and clueless enemy team.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
2fort has had a very, very, VERY long-standing problem ever since its revamp from the super old 2fort in classic team fortress in that the roof over the bridge provides too much cover on the bridge itself, so if it turns into a turtling war, it's not going to stop once it starts. Some people also dislike the sewers because they allow Engineers to put up sentries around corners on the right side, which means you can't pop out and shoot them with rockets or grenades because they come from the left side of your screen and just bounce harmlessly off the wall of the tunnel instead of actually going into the room. It's one of those maps where you can put up a sentry absolutely anywhere and it'll turn the whole game into a standstill until it's down.

edit: vvv I'll agree with that. Hightower is a fundamentally broken map because the two teams have immediate access to one another from the spawn gates, but it's fun because unlike 2fort it's all open with high ceilings AND smaller paths instead of just the latter.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 25, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's no loving health drops and you're constantly in lovely little corridors without the room you need to actually have fun fights. Not only is 2fort slow and bad, but it is very much not bad in a fun way. (a map that is dumb in a fun way:hightower)

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
You need to pass the enemy's spawn twice to cap the intel.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I love hightower, its the closest we have to TDM mode.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

notZaar posted:

I love hightower, its the closest we have to TDM mode.

what happened to the cool cat

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody purchased this very sexy avatar for me and I'm keeping it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

2fort is the purgatory of TF2, where nothing ever happens and nobody learns or grows. Dustbowl is TF2's version of hell, because no matter how hard you toil your band of randos will not break the last corner into 3-2. These are the maps upon whose shores countless lost souls wash up, and are trapped forever.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I really don't know why engineers get a weapon that completely negates every demoman weapon 'cept melee. Christ the short circuit is frustrating to play against.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Uncle Enzo posted:

I really don't know why engineers get a weapon that completely negates every demoman weapon 'cept melee. Christ the short circuit is frustrating to play against.

As one of those frustrating Engineers who uses said weapon, I can assure you that our biggest fear is your persistence. The thing eats through metal like mad.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

As one of those frustrating Engineers who uses said weapon, I can assure you that our biggest fear is your persistence. The thing eats through metal like mad.

If you;re sitting on the cart does it recharge faster than I can reload rockets?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have to disagree about the learning part, 2fort is kind of where I grew up as a player in TF2. I found a pretty solid non-valve server that was 24/7 2fort and played there pretty much constantly, and it had some players much better then myself at the time that drove me to better myself. And also learn how to rocket jump and turn on hit sounds and damage numbers. I left once I realized that there are better maps out there, but it has a lot of nostalgia for me now.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

awesmoe posted:

If you;re sitting on the cart does it recharge faster than I can reload rockets?

It doesn't if I have it out. By the time I can switch out from it having no metal left, refill metal to a manageable amount, then switch back you can load and fire one rocket. At that point it becomes a mind game of how long either you'll take before you start firing or I'll wait for the metal to recharge.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

It doesn't if I have it out. By the time I can switch out from it having no metal left, refill metal to a manageable amount, then switch back you can load and fire one rocket. At that point it becomes a mind game of how long either you'll take before you start firing or I'll wait for the metal to recharge.

Ok that's better than I thought thanks

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Theta Zero posted:

The main issue with the short circuit isn't so much that you can negate every rocket coming your way, because you can't. It's that you can negate two or three rockets coming at you and your buddy while your buddy kills the soldier, and the soldier can do nothing about it. It's especially awful since the engineer can even build his own shooting buddy to make the kills for you, and the sentry is super hard to kill without rockets or grenades, and the amount of synergy there is absurd.

The Short Circuit wouldn't be nearly so bad in the hands of, say, the pyro or the scout or the medic, although it would be a very annoying Scout tool. But giving it to the engie is just the most obnoxious thing in the world. I really hate that gun.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Short Circuit can't zap shotgun shells, hoss.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Peanut President posted:

You try using a shotgun on a sentry gun, buddy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Peanut President posted:

No, but I can imagine the scenario that's happening here: a soldier comes across a cart and an engineer at less than close range, the engineer builds or already has a mini sentry and stands there with the short circuit. At that point, as the soldier, you can either harass the engineer with a few largely ineffectual shotgun blasts at medium range (and take some sentry damage to boot) and then leave, or leave without your parting shots and probably still take some mini sentry damage for your trouble. Yes it'd be different at close range but that may lead to a disgruntled soldier hanging back waiting for the cart to approach a choke point or corner.

I almost always pack a shotgun as the solider, I can't imagine what it's like to not have when the short circuit is being run; I'd imagine you just switch. Has the short circuit ever had a cool down, in a beta maybe? Probably in some internal testing valve ran, and they went with a continuous stream, interesting.

Edit - the thing about the short circuit is how it compares to air blast. If a pyro kills me with an air blast, I (or more frustraingly my team mate) fed him a rocket; but it's a contest of skill and timing to get the rockets past the air blast. With the short circuit you basically have, what, 4 choices?

• Shoot rockets at him and hope he runs out of metal
  • Take our your shotgun
  • Close to melee range and hope he runs out of metal
  • Leave (not a joke, this is a really under appreciated option for bad situations)

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 25, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Short Circuit is pretty rough if the Engineer manages to set up near a large metal pack eg in the first house on Barn Blitz - that way it can be pretty tough for any individual to take him out. Heavy or pyro ubers are probably the best responses you can pull together on a pub server.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ok what do I bind to use the grappling hook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It's in weapon slot six.

e: And it's an action item at the same time.

• Locked thread