Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Goku could beat up anybody.

Even another Goku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Even another Goku?

Yes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm glad that's out of the way. Here's the new DBZA!

http://teamfourstar.com/video/dragonball-z-abridged-episode-46-percussive-maintenance/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

"It means God....now bow!" is a BADASS Piccolo moment.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

jivjov posted:

"It means God....now bow!" is a BADASS Piccolo moment.

"Hellzone Grenade!"

"Oh man, it's even got a cool name..."

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 25, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

"Hellzone Grenade!"

"Oh man, it's even got a cool name..."

This was the second best part of the episode.

The best being Krillin and Yamcha shittalking each other and Krillin winning.

Yamcha: the worst at literally everything.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Some Numbers posted:

This was the second best part of the episode.

The best being Krillin and Yamcha shittalking each other and Krillin winning.

Yamcha: the worst at literally everything.

Gonna need a senzu for that one.

This was a good episode. The next one is gonna be loving gross.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This was a good episode. The next one is gonna be loving gross.

You know what the worst part is? Canonically, in DBZA, they don't know what Cell's about to do.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
finding out the creator of broly wrote a butthurt blog post about how he doesn't like that beerus is stronger than broly and yet not as "scary" has made my night

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Blockhouse posted:

finding out the creator of broly wrote a butthurt blog post about how he doesn't like that beerus is stronger than broly and yet not as "scary" has made my night

New DBZA and this? It's a Christmas miracle!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kuroyama posted:

New DBZA and this? It's a Christmas miracle!

as an added bonus he's in a cult about exchanging energy through hands so the climax of that first broly movie is basically his passion play

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Blockhouse posted:

But you don't understand, Broly gets stronger as the fight goes on, like the Hulk!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

RZApublican posted:

But you don't understand, Broly gets stronger as the fight goes on, like the Hulk!

His power is maximum!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Yamcha and Krillens shittalking was just amazing.

That and the characters being constantly confused at the passage of time in that episode were the best parts of the episode for me. Confused the hell out of me the first time I watched it as well, it didn't even turn night time once the entire time they were training in there.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 25, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
We've been here 20 hours?

I never even thought about that before, but man they really were.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

We've been here 20 hours?

I never even thought about that before, but man they really were.

I'm glad they addressed that because even as a kid that bugged me. How were they there for a day? they never showed anything at night.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Clearly Earth, like Namek, has three suns.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Clearly Earth, like Namek, has three suns.

The truth is more frightening than this. We never left Namek.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Wait what?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I didn't see this posted, and since this is the defacto TFS thread...Merry Christmas!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

it comes up on a kanzenshuu podcast, I forget which one

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My favorite part was Piccolo and 17 screaming impotently at each other. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

This is incredible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's apparently an old blog post, but here it is.

Blog posted:

On Sunday the 7th, in the middle of a spring storm, I headed out to Apollo Cinema 8 in Tennoji, Osaka, near my regular lodgings, and watched it surrounded by children. It was a little embarrassing.

It was my first experience watching from the audience a Dragon Ball Z theatrical feature that I hadn’t handled the script for myself. It felt a bit strange.
Next to me, a young couple watched cosily together. I bet they could scarcely imagine that the old fogey with thinning hair sitting next to them was the one who handled the scripts of all 13 Dragon Ball Z theatrical movies.
But that’s not important to me.

And so, the movie began.
I was surprised right from the opening.
Once it started with the familiar “waves crashing into rocks” opening that is a byword for Toei, it then went into the 20th Century Fox opening, and continued with a credit for Toei Animation. Such wonderment. Actually, it’s because 20th Century Fox was involved in the production. I know the situation and some behind-the-scenes stories concerning that, but it’s top-secret information, so I can’t write about it.

And so, as for substance of the issue at hand…….

In handling the scripts for the films, what I always worried about each time was the problem of what to do about the opponent Goku fights against. That’s because, at the very least, they had to be stronger than [the ones from] the previous movie.
After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times.
That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.

For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.

Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?

Any more than this would become a spoiler, so I’ll hold off on it, but Noppo would like to hear the impressions of the Broli fans….

By all means, please see this work, which had a turnout of one million people in the first six days it was out.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
He doesn't sound that butthurt, he even ended it telling them to go see the movie because it owns. :shobon: He just observed that Beerus isn't really that visually intimidating, which is... honestly, true. It's mostly the writing and the fight scenes that sell him as a bad motherfucker.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

He doesn't sound that butthurt, he even ended it telling them to go see the movie because it owns. :shobon: He just observed that Beerus isn't really that visually intimidating, which is... honestly, true. It's mostly the writing and the fight scenes that sell him as a bad motherfucker.

Yeah but how many of the DBZ villains actually look intimidating?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Frieza's final form wasn't visually intimidating and Buu sure as hell wasn't either.

Same with Cell's final form.

The baddest motherfuckers in DBZ rarely look like they're preposterous shitwreckers

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Frieza's final form wasn't visually intimidating and Buu sure as hell wasn't either.

The baddest motherfuckers in DBZ rarely look like they're preposterous shitwreckers

Neither was Raditz Vegeta or Piccolo

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
They all at least look like they have muscle mass. Beers looks straight up emaciated.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

Super Buu was buff and creepy, and Kid Buu was disturbingly skinny and just as creepy. Freeza 100% was also buff. Perfect Cell, while not particularly bristling with muscles, still looked like a powerful fighter.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Super Buu was buff and creepy, and Kid Buu was disturbingly skinny and just as creepy. Freeza 100% was also buff. Perfect Cell, while not particularly bristling with muscles, still looked like a powerful fighter.

Also, visual intimidation isn't just "URRRGHH MORE MUSCLES *flex* *flex*", all those were legit scary looking. Beerus is a scary motherfucker, yeah, but he just looks like a skinny catman until he starts beating on people.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 25, 2014

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Beerus is the first dragonball antagonist that pulls some straight up kung fu poo poo since like Tienshinhan and that makes him a million times better than some stupid Hulk knock off.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also, visual intimidation isn't just "URRRGHH MORE MUSCLES *flex* *flex*", all those were legit scary looking. Beerus is a scary motherfucker, yeah, but he just looks like a skinny catman until he starts beating on people.

Beerus design still looks pretty creepy, which really isn't a DBZ thing often outside 1st form Cell.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Beerus literally looks like an emaciated cat and the fact he's prone to flying into a rage at the slightest provocation is also very cat like. The dude's correct that Beerus by himself doesn't look very intimidating, and some of that seemed to be intended, considering that the much taller and generally more imposing- at least relatively- Whis is the first of the pair you see.

Beerus becomes terrifying later, when he easily trounces Goku in Super Sayian 3, then all of the Z-Fighters, without breaking a sweat. His actions are why he's scary, not his stature. Broly is very much scary because he's some massive muscle head that is still incredibly fast.

Also yeah the dude doesn't sound upset at all, if anything it sounds like he was considering that he could have done better then making two more Broly movies and he got too caught up in opponents looking strong rather then building them as strong in action.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I didn't see this posted, and since this is the defacto TFS thread...Merry Christmas!

Solid. Lots of things paying off (even that dumb clone Ms. Briefs gag from last episode) and a lot of solid chuckles.

Poor 16. He just wants to kill Goku so drat badly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Solid. Lots of things paying off (even that dumb clone Ms. Briefs gag from last episode) and a lot of solid chuckles.

Poor 16. He just wants to kill Goku so drat badly.

What was piccolo saying he felt nostalgic for? Was it a reference to him being King Piccolo's son?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Man, TFS just does such a good job of replacing the characters in my mind. I always thought the androids were super boring in the original series and they're probably my favorite part of the show ever since they showed up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes. He was born specifically to hate peace and kill Goku.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What was piccolo saying he felt nostalgic for? Was it a reference to him being King Piccolo's son?

He was spat up as an egg, and until he hatched, the voice of his father constantly said "Kill Goku" in his head, at least, in the TFS version.

17s argument kind of falls apart too because, while yeah, Piccolo, Yamucha, Vegeta etc all tried to kill Goku and they are buddies now, Goku still did punch their faces in until they could could up their own liver, so the androids have this coming. And driving cars together is a sacred bond between men!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Man, TFS just does such a good job of replacing the characters in my mind.

They're voices are embedded in my brain nearly as much as the original Funimation dub, too. Freeza's definitely. No voice for Freeza sounds as right as LK. In some cases they're nearly identical anyway.

• Locked thread