Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Amplitube sounds really really good, but I prefer the layout of Guitar Rig, and you can achieve some great results with tweaking. I'd say if you want 'normal' guitar sounds then Amplitube is the way to go, but if you like out-there stuff then GR has some great modules from Traktor included, plus it has some SSL type compressors etc and is probably more useful as an all round fx suite for synths, processed vocals etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have a question on power supplies. Is it possible to daisy two PP2+'s (or similar power supplies) or do they need to each have power cables running out separately? I currently have a big board with a PP2+ and an auxiliary power strip that goes into the power outlet on the PP2. I need to ditch the power strip in favor of another power supply to accommodate more effects on the board.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Why does the Wessex Bogner Pedal sound so drat good?

I took someones advice and just tried some overdrives through my JC-120. Tube screamer was meh (I really want to get my hands on a palisades though, I feel like I could carve out a better tone.) Soul food was great through a tube amp, but not my JC.

The wessex didn't sound like a pedal, it just sounded like some some good dirt added to me amp. I still heard every crystal clear note from my JC, with an added blanket of distortion. I've played some pedals where you literally don't hear the different when switching pickups.

Anyways back on topic.

I love the Wessex, anything similar I should try? (cheaper would be nice, or at least multiple gain stages.)

My biggest gripe with the wessex is that it had too many usable tones. I'd want to sit there tweaking knobs all day. I wish it had like two footswitches, because I could deal with two tones.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

If you want another overdrive that sounds pretty "natural to the amp" then maybe try some pedals chasing after that fender tweed sound? Off the top of my head: Lovepedal Les Luis, Greer Ghetto Stomp.

Also maybe try Americana by DMB Pedals for another tube amp sounding overdrive.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

philkop posted:

Why does the Wessex Bogner Pedal sound so drat good?

I took someones advice and just tried some overdrives through my JC-120. Tube screamer was meh (I really want to get my hands on a palisades though, I feel like I could carve out a better tone.) Soul food was great through a tube amp, but not my JC.

The wessex didn't sound like a pedal, it just sounded like some some good dirt added to me amp. I still heard every crystal clear note from my JC, with an added blanket of distortion. I've played some pedals where you literally don't hear the different when switching pickups.

Anyways back on topic.

I love the Wessex, anything similar I should try? (cheaper would be nice, or at least multiple gain stages.)

My biggest gripe with the wessex is that it had too many usable tones. I'd want to sit there tweaking knobs all day. I wish it had like two footswitches, because I could deal with two tones.

i also want to try out a palisades but it has way too many options for me. I want my overdrive pedal to basically be turned on and be done. All I do with my nobels is just drop gain zero, volume 10, tone to taste. it's easy!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i hate that there are so many excellent sounding settings on various pieces of equipment because i am unbelievably lazy and quickly forget what prior settings were

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

muike posted:

i also want to try out a palisades but it has way too many options for me. I want my overdrive pedal to basically be turned on and be done. All I do with my nobels is just drop gain zero, volume 10, tone to taste. it's easy!

That's why I want the palisades! Unlike the bogner I tried which had tons of usable areas, I feel the palisades knobs are more for matching the pedal to your setup. Once you have it where it "sounds best" you just kind of stomp it on from there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Missing out on the Flashback Triple Delay sale has led me something very different. I think I'm going for an Afterneath. I've been balls deep in demos for the last week and I can't help but think that it's one of the most interesting "delays"/reverbs around.

I'm still trying to wrangle my Carbon Copy for longer, 90% mix delays without oscillation but I think I'm on the brink of understating it's sweet spots. I'm always surprised with how universally loved these pedals are because I've had it for over a year and am just now really getting it. With the mix all the way it's pretty noisy but I suppose that's the charm of these. If it doesn't work behind the Afterneath I'll have to find something else as my primary delay.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Deep Blue Delay(s)* are pretty cool as a "set it whereever and it still sounds good" delay.

*I've never used a real one, just clones, which must be piss easy to make as tonnes of builders do them.

Vezbot
Jan 2, 2005

PFC Nole, our officer in the hole

Kilometers Davis posted:

Missing out on the Flashback Triple Delay sale has led me something very different. I think I'm going for an Afterneath. I've been balls deep in demos for the last week and I can't help but think that it's one of the most interesting "delays"/reverbs around.

I'm still trying to wrangle my Carbon Copy for longer, 90% mix delays without oscillation but I think I'm on the brink of understating it's sweet spots. I'm always surprised with how universally loved these pedals are because I've had it for over a year and am just now really getting it. With the mix all the way it's pretty noisy but I suppose that's the charm of these. If it doesn't work behind the Afterneath I'll have to find something else as my primary delay.

Sounds like you want a Red Panda Context (edit or Particle)

Vezbot fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 8, 2014

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Welp, I finally bought a PT-3. Time to put my five pedals on it and shop for power supplies for a year before breaking down and buying a PP2+ like everyone else in the world.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Joke's on you, I just got a BBE Supa Charger, and it was like 60% of the price of a PP2+.

:ohdear: Hope I didn't gently caress that choice up too bad but it works great so far!

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I kind of really want the AC outlet on the PP2+ for my Tubeworks overdrive, but for 60% less I could probably live with just strapping a power strip to the underside of the board. Lord knows I'll have enough room.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Meh, eventually you'll all get a PP2. They're ubiquitous for a reason.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm really glad I got one. I mean power supplies are boring as hell and are hardly the most exciting thing to drop money on pedalboard wise but when you get a good one the reliability is worth it. Going from a power strip with individual plugs or a one spot or (ugh) batteries is a killer upgrade.

Cheers for the delay comments dudes. I think I'm going back to my MF Delay for now. The pop is annoying but it's not like I'm playing live so I don't really care. The sound quality is ridiculous and with the 4 BBDs the regen is perfect. I do like the texture of the CC when it gets grainy but it's a total one trick pony. If I dig my Afterneath I might have to grab a Dispatch Master and have a board full of delays and reverbs :3:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm really glad I got one. I mean power supplies are boring as hell and are hardly the most exciting thing to drop money on pedalboard wise but when you get a good one the reliability is worth it. Going from a power strip with individual plugs or a one spot or (ugh) batteries is a killer upgrade.

Cheers for the delay comments dudes. I think I'm going back to my MF Delay for now. The pop is annoying but it's not like I'm playing live so I don't really care. The sound quality is ridiculous and with the 4 BBDs the regen is perfect. I do like the texture of the CC when it gets grainy but it's a total one trick pony. If I dig my Afterneath I might have to grab a Dispatch Master and have a board full of delays and reverbs :3:

Ugh I have a Dispatch Master and I realllly want an Afterneath but I feel like they are too common that no one will notice the difference besides be but, the afterneath is so loving rad for ambient stuff.

edit: dispatch master loving rules btw and to me, it seems to be less of a "one trick pony" as the afterneath. I get afterneath like tones/efx with the DM but, from what I could see/read/hear from the afterneath it seems to only shine in that languid-i-am-in-a-cave sound

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 9, 2014

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

I might go for that delay too, it's such a nice package. The sound of my MF delay slays but I can't find any position in my loop where it doesn't pop when I engage it. It's unpleasant having that pop echo right off the bat. TC stuff has been dead quiet all around for me.

Is this through your OR15?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Turkey Farts posted:

Is this through your OR15?

Yep

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Ugh I have a Dispatch Master and I realllly want an Afterneath but I feel like they are too common that no one will notice the difference besides be but, the afterneath is so loving rad for ambient stuff.

edit: dispatch master loving rules btw and to me, it seems to be less of a "one trick pony" as the afterneath. I get afterneath like tones/efx with the DM but, from what I could see/read/hear from the afterneath it seems to only shine in that languid-i-am-in-a-cave sound

This is solely based on demos, but I honestly think the Afterneath is the most interesting reverb in years. Apparently it was a complete accident that the EQD guy had happen and he just rolled with it. It seems like the DM can do similar things with a blend favoring the reverb side but there's a certain textural quality to how the Afterneath reacts with the clustered delay that really hits the spot for me. I don't think I've heard a creepier, more haunting soundtrack like sound. I think having the DM run into the Afterneath would give you a very versatile combination of ideas to work with.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is solely based on demos, but I honestly think the Afterneath is the most interesting reverb in years. Apparently it was a complete accident that the EQD guy had happen and he just rolled with it. It seems like the DM can do similar things with a blend favoring the reverb side but there's a certain textural quality to how the Afterneath reacts with the clustered delay that really hits the spot for me. I don't think I've heard a creepier, more haunting soundtrack like sound. I think having the DM run into the Afterneath would give you a very versatile combination of ideas to work with.

Instead of the Afterneath I ended up going with the Caroline Pedals' Kilobyte its more of a straight forward delay and when you add the vibrato that Phillipe and Jack from Mr. Black, it can get very haunting with the DM. Plus the second switch to allow you to oscillate on command is super rad.

Dont get me wrong it was verrrry hard for me not to buy the Afterneath but, in my situation the Kilobyte just made more sense and is a bit more versatile. I used to have a stupid board but now I am essentially down to 4 pedals. I know I could get some super awesome sounds if I added the afterneath but right now i cant justify it.

so like when you get it and it is awesome i hope not to know haha.

edit: in about a year when people are selling their afterneath used i'll prob buy one tbh

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

comes along bort posted:

Meh, eventually you'll all get a PP2. They're ubiquitous for a reason.

I use a T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon :buddy:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Instead of the Afterneath I ended up going with the Caroline Pedals' Kilobyte its more of a straight forward delay and when you add the vibrato that Phillipe and Jack from Mr. Black, it can get very haunting with the DM. Plus the second switch to allow you to oscillate on command is super rad.

Dont get me wrong it was verrrry hard for me not to buy the Afterneath but, in my situation the Kilobyte just made more sense and is a bit more versatile. I used to have a stupid board but now I am essentially down to 4 pedals. I know I could get some super awesome sounds if I added the afterneath but right now i cant justify it.

so like when you get it and it is awesome i hope not to know haha.

edit: in about a year when people are selling their afterneath used i'll prob buy one tbh

I'll be sure to post all about it and curse the wallets of you and everyone else sacrificing money for the verb gods.

Related, I ordered their Arrows pedal, definitely looking forward to that. I've been itching for a boost similar to the EQ it has and the price was right. If I really like it I'll probably sell my EP Booster and use that for reasonable life expenhahaha more pedals. Earthquaker sure has grabbed my attention lately!

Emailed you by the way :)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

PSA: GC is having a pretty ridiculous flash sale on the TC T2, Alter Ego 2, and Alter Ego X4. $99 each for the first two, $179 for the X4.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Schpyder posted:

PSA: GC is having a pretty ridiculous flash sale on the TC T2, Alter Ego 2, and Alter Ego X4. $99 each for the first two, $179 for the X4.

Of course this happens right after I decide to wait a while on the T2 because it's never in stock anywhere. That's a really great pedal, if anyone wants a little box with a huge variety of lynchian/spooky 80s reverb tones grab it! The price is insane for what you're getting.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Do any of your other pedals pop? I ask because I also own an OR15 and when I first got it the loop was practically unusable for me. Not only would my pedals pop when engaged, but once turned on they would sound way off. This was stuff like EQD Disaster Transport, Grand Orbiter, Ghost Echo, Malekko Ekko 616, Red Witch Moon Phaser. Decent quality effects. It seemed like the tube for the loop was bad or the amp was faulty. Not so.

Turns out that the loop operates at line level which is a fair bit hotter than instrument level (which is what most effects prefer). I picked up one of these to lower the signal and I have not heard any popping or other anomalies since.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I have a MF Delay on my bass board (not going through an FX loop) and mine pops too. Hasn't bothered me too much, but it's there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Turkey Farts posted:

Do any of your other pedals pop? I ask because I also own an OR15 and when I first got it the loop was practically unusable for me. Not only would my pedals pop when engaged, but once turned on they would sound way off. This was stuff like EQD Disaster Transport, Grand Orbiter, Ghost Echo, Malekko Ekko 616, Red Witch Moon Phaser. Decent quality effects. It seemed like the tube for the loop was bad or the amp was faulty. Not so.

Turns out that the loop operates at line level which is a fair bit hotter than instrument level (which is what most effects prefer). I picked up one of these to lower the signal and I have not heard any popping or other anomalies since.

Oh man, thank you so much for this. I haven't had too many problems but noise has definitely been an issue along with the popping from my Moog pedals. Some loop pedals have sounded slightly weird as well. I've spent way too much cash on gear and christmas gifts lately but I'm going to order this and give it a shot.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 10, 2014

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Schpyder posted:

picked up the alter ego v2. thanks bro!

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Grabbed the PP2+. Haven't wired it up yet, but it's smaller and lighter than I expected. Also, most of my agonizing over it was because I'd forgotten that it's possible to daisy-chain the outputs as long as you stay within the milliamp rating. I though each pedal needed its own (which some might, but most of mine won't).

I also bought an Empress Tremolo, and was pleased that it was a bit cheaper since it's the old version. Then I got home and found that the old version doesn't have the 1:3 ratio, which was one of the main reasons I wanted it. Their site said they had V2 in stock, so hopefully they do and I can go trade up. In theory I could probably get by using the 1:1 for triplets in my current material, but that doesn't seem like that much fun. Plus the new version includes an insane amount of control features that will probably make the price difference more than worth it.

Edit: Got everything wired up and holy jesus is it nice to be down to one power strip instead of three plus a bunch of wall warts. Also the Tremolo 2 is a gorgeous piece of equipment. I can't detect any special mojo to the sound, but it modulates the poo poo out of my volume and is extremely easy to use. I haven't quite decided how I'm going to handle presets, but I think they're all going to involve one of these.

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 18, 2014

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I just got a pair of vintage EHX Clone Theories off of eBay that needed a little fixing up. One powered up no problems and the other had the transformer disconnected for some reason, but after reattaching that it seems to function the same as the first. However, I can't really verify if the Edge switches are doing anything on either. If anyone has an original, how much of a difference does it make on or off? I hear a little click then moving the switch, but the tone really doesn't change much that I can hear.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

DrChu posted:

I just got a pair of vintage EHX Clone Theories off of eBay that needed a little fixing up. One powered up no problems and the other had the transformer disconnected for some reason, but after reattaching that it seems to function the same as the first. However, I can't really verify if the Edge switches are doing anything on either. If anyone has an original, how much of a difference does it make on or off? I hear a little click then moving the switch, but the tone really doesn't change much that I can hear.

Edge switches apply a small volume boost, but I don't think they color the tone at all. It's partly there to compensate for a minor volume drop in the chorus channel, but it's also partly there because there was a superfluous fourth hole at the edge of the aluminium casings so they just put a switch there.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have a question that Google and the usual sites don't seem to have an answer for. When I record stuff and use a phaser in AmpliTube I tend to use the Small Stone model with the speed at its lowest. In person I have a multi effect unit, but I'm not sure what speed to set it to in order to match the slow Small Stone speed. I tried searching for all combinations like "Small Stone speed range/rate range/LFO speed" and all that and it turned up nada. Anyone have any ideas?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The rate for what the lowest setting on small stone is probably isnt even consistant among all small stones tbh. Cant you just approximate it?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Seems ridiculous but you're not going to get that precision out of stompboxes. Think modelling or studio effects.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

There are some nice pedals like the Empress Nebula and Phaser that will take control voltage or MIDI input to set effects parameters. For all I know some modeling rigs do this too, in which case you could probably (maybe) arrange to get your DAW to send out its LFO and get the same speed.

That said, I'm also not sure why matching by ear wouldn't be good enough for this purpose.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Thanks guys, I figured I'd have to approximate it but was hoping to have an actual number. Ah well. Thanks anyway.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
where should pitch effects fall in the chain?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

Depends, naturally. Typically before your overdrives because the overtones tend to interfere with tracking.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Santa brought me an Afterneath. In the next few days I'm going to have to post a lot about this thing because it's insane. I've never had a first day with a pedal this inspiring. It's a dream for anything from GY!BE to Twin Peaks to whatever insane black hole in a cave in the belly of a monolithic ancient creature influenced jams you want to come up with.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

muike posted:

Anywhere you like. They can go before gain for bette tracking and a more natural sound but whammys have a more dramatic effect post gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Is there a TS9 clone with less gain?